HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think ultimately Apple expects over 20K but probably off a bit maybe even undercutting the overall number. It's going to be a large amount but will be over a period of years.

Yea I'm hoping the big announcement isn't anti-climactic since we've been building anticipation. Regardless it should at the least show that Austin will continue to be a magnet for more jobs.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
What was the number of jobs Apple quoted, 5 or 10k?

I just looked it up....it was 5k.

My source quoted MUCH higher than the Apple announcement.
I'm going to guess Facebook.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:52 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Goodness. Amazon, Salesforce, Facebook, WeWork. All would be pretty huge, but only 1-2 could be an HQ relocation.

Are you hearing HQ or large presence?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveattheoasis View Post
goodness. Amazon, salesforce, facebook, wework. All would be pretty huge, but only 1-2 could be an hq relocation.

Are you hearing hq or large presence?
h

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I'm going to guess Facebook.
I don't think it's Facebook. Facebook just opened a new office, and currently is still trying to fill it up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:22 PM

I'm on Team Salesforce. This is about the right time to announce, if your signature tower The Republic is about to really kick off in earnest.

It's kind of amazing that there's no formal SF presence in Austin at all. Given our importance now to the tech world (yes, can't believe I just typed that) -- it seems significant that we're completely left out.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:26 PM

We should all make a prediction, I would say Microsoft. There is a lot of cloud work going on in Austin from hardware to software, so plenty of talent to recruit from. They need another big development location away from the west coast that is more tax friendly. I will also guess it would be located near Oracle with that new development though it would be cool if they took over the new domain towers.

Rumors/secrets are cool in this area. I remember when I knew about Cedar Park Schlitterbahn over a year before it was announced. I knew the city was negotiating incentives on the land because I did p&z volunteering work but the company name was top secret, then I happened to bump into one of the developers on a run in a neighborhood and we started talking about development and he mentioned the name to me. Keeping in quiet was hard. Turns out the development never happened but it was fun to know ahead of time.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:29 PM

If I knew with certainty like i did with 48 East (I know the owner), I would say more. It’s just hard to trust a source I don’t know.

Ergo.....rumor.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
if i knew with certainty like i did with 48 east (i know the owner), i would say more. It’s just hard to trust a source i don’t know.

Ergo.....rumor.
t

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:04 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm actually hoping it's something completely unexpected. Those are pretty cool kinds of announcements.

For example, say if it is Salesforce, it won't really be that exciting in the sense that it was already a decent possibility and as a result been discussed or expected. I thought today's news about Citadel was pretty exciting.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:08 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
What was the number of jobs Apple quoted, 5 or 10k?

I just looked it up....it was 5k.

My source quoted MUCH higher than the Apple announcement.
5,000 initially, up to 15,000 additional jobs on top of the over 6K that we already have, which barring whatever this announcement is would make Apple Austin's largest private employer.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...across-the-us/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:31 AM

a

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
5,000 initially, up to 15,000 additional jobs on top of the over 6K that we already have, which barring whatever this announcement is would make Apple Austin's largest private employer.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...across-the-us/
Just to clarify, that's a up to a possible 15K total new jobs, not 20K (5K + 15K) new jobs if anyone is confused. But that would still be 21K between both campuses. That would almost be as big as Dell in it's early 2000s peak which I believe was around 23K.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:44 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Just to clarify, that's a up to a possible 15K total new jobs, not 20K (5K + 15K) new jobs if anyone is confused. But that would still be 21K between both campuses. That would almost be as big as Dell in it's early 2000s peak which I believe was around 23K.
Yup. It's definitely nothing to sneeze at but will be pretty crazy if whatever is announced next week will top Apple.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:55 AM

H

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:17 AM

A

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:55 AM. Reason: adios

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:43 AM

"Nothing being said right now leaves this room". Famous last words. Confidentual meetings leak worse than cloth diapers. Last Monday I was privvy to an announcement that will happen tomorrow. My boss who told me this and made me swear on the life of my dead father, (he doesn't know my dad passed away a long time ago) is the leaker and is lucky the announcement is tomorrow because I don't think I would have made it to the weekend without blabbing this to someone...I'm weak. Corporate decisions happen long before official announcements are, well...announced. Until then, leakage is considered, a 'rumor'. I caught wind of one of these 'rumors' regarding 6X, which although won't be quite as tall as was revealed to me, but it still came to fruition. So for those reasons...I'm out...hahaha a little Shark Tank referenced humor there...for those reasons, I'm intringued by this thread, and the next brought forth rumor could be the next official announcement.
I'm biting into Apple at the moment. Still waiting to see if a Virgin Hotel is ever going to happen.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
A
WIMSGFSWHTAHA

^ so far all your one word replies lead to this string. At first I thought you were revealing a stock ticker symbol, then company acronym, then the full name just letter by letter in order. But now I think it’s a company name but scrambled. We’ve got 13 letters so far. If this isn’t just a tease haha, then can anyone order these so that it starts to resemble a company name? I guess UrbanCore might have the best guess on if these letters start to construct/match the company he’s heard of.

Obviously, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, SalesForce, WeWork, Facebook, Google, can’t be it.

Now you can spell “Hashtag” from part of this string... so um.. Twitter?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
WIMSGFSWHTAHA

^ so far all your one word replies lead to this string. At first I thought you were revealing a stock ticker symbol, then company acronym, then the full name just letter by letter in order. But now I think it’s a company name but scrambled. We’ve got 13 letters so far. If this isn’t just a tease haha, then can anyone order these so that it starts to resemble a company name? I guess UrbanCore might have the best guess on if these letters start to construct/match the company he’s heard of.

Obviously, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, SalesForce, WeWork, Facebook, Google, can’t be it.

Now you can spell “Hashtag” from part of this string... so um.. Twitter?
This could be some sort of cipher. Question is...which type of cipher? Is the message even finished?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:55 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin