HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:37 AM

I hope the logo sticks around on the final design. Not very many logos downtown besides Google's G and the Frost Tower.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSky View Post
It was just a few short years ago that some of these same complainers about this buildings design were lamenting the "we can't break the 400 ft plateau". Hilarious!
I'm disappointed that this won't be our second 800 footer.

JK

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Um... really

The design is to complement 6X? Basically what they are saying is they have no creativity. Be bold and unique with a tower that size for goodness sake. I feel Austin is going way overboard with designs being way too similar just for the sake of complementing one another.
I agree that being bold and unique is important, however, new towers do need to "barrow" elements from neighboring buildings. Minneapolis has three very tall towers that are very different from one another, however they heavily barrow from each other to create a very pleasing skyline. This is a pipe dream for Austin though.

I believe we are getting just corporate towers on the cheep in Austin. Just enough to lease the space or sell the units. Just look at the "Crown" of the Independent. Unique and bold with quality is not in the cards for a non headquarter city like Austin...we just get the bare minimum of what the market will buy.

This tower is much sleeker than 6 x G.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:58 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yay!! The amount of buildings proposed or under construction is simply amazing for a city our size.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I hope the logo sticks around on the final design. Not very many logos downtown besides Google's G and the Frost Tower.
Yeah me too. The BoA logo made a difference when they installed it. I'm not really sure why I think it adds something positive to a tower, but to me, it does. And you can almost guarantee it signage will be lit up at night. Now I can do without the huge Moody Bank logo, or should I say, billboard.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:09 AM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 2:00 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSky View Post
Looks like it, and wow! What a time to be alive and a skyscraper nerd in Austin TX! It was just a few short years ago that some of these same complainers about this buildings design were lamenting the "we can't break the 400 ft plateau". Hilarious! Now we're seeing 500+ footers spring up like this is Miami in 2005-2007 and we're bitter table for one over the designs. Jeepers H Crackers peeps, some of you need to catch a clue and get over yourselves. This is AWESOME!
Some of us want to see quality not just quantity so I'll get over myself when that happens thank you very much..

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 2:03 AM
Meh

Dallas has 5 buildings over 700 feet. This, of course, includes the 921 foot Bank of America Plaza and the 850 foot Renaissance Tower. Austin has 4 buildings over 700 feet in the pipeline including the 848 foot 6 X Guadalupe. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:37 AM

Wow, a glass box with some balconies. Just amazing, only in Austin, lol.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Austin has clearly reached the unfortunate growth phase in which most projects are designed for speed of construction with little to no regard for aesthetic design. I give this design two thumbs down. It's tall... nothing else.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I find it interesting that they chose to show the still under construction Indeed tower in the rendering, and the now demolished Extended Stay on the 6 x Guadalupe site instead of the proposed building. I guess that is because Indeed is designed by Page (I think) and 6 X is Gensler? Even though they are comparing their tower to the somewhat taller 6 X - which would take away from the prominence of this tower in the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:59 PM

LMAO. I am not even trying to be a bitch here....seriously thought I accidentally clicked on 6X thread. The height is cool, but this is still a blue rectangle with balconies (ABOVE THE 400 FT PLATEAU).

Still excited.... Actually, this means 6X will be a kind of twin tower?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:00 PM

I don't like this at all

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:11 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I mean it isn’t ugly.... but it isn’t anything to write home about. Whether I actually want it built has more to do with ground level aesthetic and presence simply because the tower is at least not ugly. If it brings something good to the street, let it be filler. Austin is rapidly getting to the point where most of what we have is filler, and I am okay with that as long as it activates the street. Not every building needs to be a statement piece, and this will be across the street from one and the one which will be Austin’s tallest when it is completed. It being filler and specifically filler that draws attention to that statement piece across the street I think is totally appropriate in this context dare I even say remarkable that so many people have such small minds when it comes to this stuff. Most of these things are gonna happen, so you might as find something you like about each project. Trust me, you’ll be happier that way.

I also like the logo. I also think that the building has comparatively less parking, which is a step in the right direction, and that the parking garage is masked decently, which is also a step in the right direction. I also notice that the glass has a pattern to it, which adds texture.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I mean it isn’t ugly.... but it isn’t anything to write home about. Whether I actually want it built has more to do with ground level aesthetic and presence simply because the tower is at least not ugly. If it brings something good to the street, let it be filler. Austin is rapidly getting to the point where most of what we have is filler, and I am okay with that as long as it activates the street. Not every building needs to be a statement piece, and this will be across the street from one and the one which will be Austin’s tallest when it is completed. It being filler and specifically filler that draws attention to that statement piece across the street I think is totally appropriate in this context dare I even say remarkable that so many people have such small minds when it comes to this stuff. Most of these things are gonna happen, so you might as find something you like about each project. Trust me, you’ll be happier that way.

I also like the logo. I also think that the building has comparatively less parking, which is a step in the right direction, and that the parking garage is masked decently, which is also a step in the right direction. I also notice that the glass has a pattern to it, which adds texture.
First, Agreed on the logo.

But I agree for the most part with you, and disagree to some extent. I think if this building were also 840-ish feet tall, it would be the better of the two buildings. But, 6xGuad came first, so it's the basis for what we compare everything that comes after. This is on a smaller footprint, and seems to not have a gigantic focus on parking. I'll be all for a larger building where people don't (or can't) have cars, since that adds a big population that pushes more for public transit. Even then, if I were picking between the two, I might rather have this building just because I'm really not a fan of developments that use one building to take up an entire city block, unless they're truly something special.

But, this building just isn't different enough from 6xGuad for me to like. If 6xGuad didn't exist, I'd love this. But it does, and it's under construction, so now we seemingly this BBVA building, which is almost identical save for some small bits. And having unique buildings verses identical "off white and blue glass, mostly rectangular buildings" is what differentiates a skyline like Chicago's and New York's from skylines like Vancouver.

I mean even to compare two Canadian cities, Vancouver and Calgary, I have no doubt that Vancouver is the better place to live ($$ not withstanding). But Calgary has a much better skyline, if only because all of the buildings don't look so similar. In Vancouver, we see exactly what we're seeing with this BBVA building, except mostly with condos. One condo building goes up, and then another goes up right next to it that's 95% identical....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:52 PM

generic cube at best.
I hope this was a quick placeholder design.
Love the height, but that's it.
Bigger ( in some cases) is not better.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:55 PM

It's worth considering some of the other things on the future skyline -- Google Sail, and the Republic, specifically. From certain viewpoints -- like across Town Lake -- the blockiness of BBVA/6X will recede behind some much smoother, ergonomic shapes.

From the viewpoint of the pic above, it stand out like a sore thumb, but I think we may think differently of it in its final context.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:06 PM

Looks very similar (albeit it shorter) to the tower being built in midtown Atlanta:
https://whatnowatlanta.com/74-story-...dtown-skyline/

74 floors, 980', including an 11 floor parking podium, so its not just Austin getting stuck with those things.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:12 PM

I

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
I'm ecstatic about it. Cities throughout the world would give their left nut for a building like this. Only in Austin will people complain about a 770' tower. Heck let's not build it and keep the drive thru bank and sushi joint! As Austin grows and matures so will the architecture of the buildings constructed. People compare Austin, a toddler, to grown adults like NYC and Chicago. Did I tell you I'm ecstatic about getting a 770'!
Well I'm not saying we immediately need exactly what NYC and Chicago have. But I was pointing out that unique buildings in different architectural styles are what makes those the best skylines in the world IMO. Austin could very well have the same thing, on a far lower scale, and accomplish our version of that. But instead, it's designs like this, that look like they bought the blueprints in a 12-pack at Costco.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin