HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:01 AM
Meh

I noticed tonight there's a crane up at the Coldspring construction site on Barton Springs.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I noticed tonight there's a crane up at the Coldspring construction site on Barton Springs.
I don't ever recall seeing a rendering for this one. Is there?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:31 PM

I think it's actually called Coldwater and there was a rendering in the American-Statesman when the project was first announced back in August.

link to article

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:22 PM
Meh

D'oh! Yeah, it's Coldwater. No wonder I couldn't find it last night. lol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:00 AM
Meh

Demolition is going on at the Lamar Plaza site. The skyline viewing stairs have been felled.

Alamo Drafthouse says so long, for now, to South Lamar home

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Demolition is going on at the Lamar Plaza site. The skyline viewing stairs have been felled.

Alamo Drafthouse says so long, for now, to South Lamar home
Wow that was really fast.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:21 PM

An Austin Business Journal article posted by Kevin earlier that was premium content can now be read in full.

Lamar Plaza snags tenants
Theater, bar, restaurants sign; plenty of room for retailers
Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal
October 26, 2012

The article mentions that one of the restaurants will have extensive outdoor seating along South Lamar and also mentions 700 parking spaces for the commercial part of the development.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 3:43 AM

Photos: S. Lamar's rapid metamorphosis
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal
January 4, 2013

Quote:
While downtown has its share of activity, perhaps the most dense area of construction is along a two-mile stretch of South Lamar Boulevard from Barton Springs Road to Ben White Boulevard.

Tower cranes seem to be multiplying overnight. You can read about the newest project to take shape, Cielo South Lamar near Manchaca Road, in this week's print edition of the Austin Business Journal.
The article says nearly 2,300 units are either under construction or recently delivered.

The photos include a map, and one photo each of construction progress at The 704 at the Spoke, Cielo at South Lamar (the one at Lamar & Manchaca), South Lamar Plaza, Gibson Flats & Hanover South Lamar.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Jan 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM. Reason: spelling - changed Jurnal to Journal

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 7:34 AM

It's going to be a nice dense area once all these projects are completed, all the way from the 704 to Crestview.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 5:43 AM

Wheatsville’s Second Store to Feature Demo Areas, Bakery, Expanded Café
By Stephanie Myers
Austin Post
January 9, 2013

Quote:
With expanded in-store seating, meeting space and a demo room, the new Wheatsville at South Lamar and Ben White will provide a closer location for South Austinites and might become a destination for the rest of the city when it opens in a few months.

Demolition work, the first step in the site renovation on the new location, is “imminent,” said Raquel Dadomo, Wheatsville brand manager, “and we hope to be open by June 1.”

[SNIP]

The site of the new store at 4001 South Lamar was formerly a Wells Fargo bank branch. The 22,000-square-foot, $4.7 million renovation is being designed by Antenora Architects, the same firm Wheatsville worked with on their Guadalupe store renovation a few years ago.
Hopefully, someone will do something with the vacant space at the other end of the center where Lack's Furniture used to be.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 6:18 PM

I'm glad to see a Wheatsville go in down south and also sad to see something go in that groups of stores I would hate to see demolished. They could really do something with that parcel(s), a mixed use, town center sort of thing. Wonder if Wheatsville's space could be saved while the rest is redeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
I'm glad to see a Wheatsville go in down south and also sad to see something go in that groups of stores I would hate to see demolished. They could really do something with that parcel(s), a mixed use, town center sort of thing. Wonder if Wheatsville's space could be saved while the rest is redeveloped.
I'm confused. The Well Fargo branch is a small building at the front on the northern edge of the huge parking lot. Are they going to demolish the bank branch and build something new there? I agree that the whole huge mess of a shopping center needs to be redeveloped into something more human in scale that relates to the street.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I'm confused. The Well Fargo branch is a small building at the front on the northern edge of the huge parking lot. Are they going to demolish the bank branch and build something new there?
No, Wells Fargo used to be where Wheatsville is going to be at the north end of that center. The new small bank branch building replaced that and it only opened about 6-8 months ago. The old Furr's Cafeteria is being converted into some sort of Minor Emergency Center. The only vacant space left in that center (Lamar Oaks is the name of it I think) is at the south end of the complex where Lack's used to be.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. The Well Fargo branch is a small building at the front on the northern edge of the huge parking lot. Are they going to demolish the bank branch and build something new there? I agree that the whole huge mess of a shopping center needs to be redeveloped into something more human in scale that relates to the street.
ITs the space next to Hancock fabric.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that was not the clearest sentence I've ever written.

What I meant was that I've 1) long wanted a Wheatsville south, and 2) long thought that shopping center would be a great place for a mixed use project. But now to tear it down and redevelop, you'd have to tear down the Wheatsville that's just gone in.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that was not the clearest sentence I've ever written.

What I meant was that I've 1) long wanted a Wheatsville south, and 2) long thought that shopping center would be a great place for a mixed use project. But now to tear it down and redevelop, you'd have to tear down the Wheatsville that's just gone in.
Agreed it is ashame it was not a part of a larger vision. It will only be a few years until folks are thinking "that way" that far south. Density is working it's way down Lamar rapidly. Just wasn't rapid enough!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Not too interesting, but a video of Highball being demoed for Lamar Plaza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rItpyxBZu1M

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:30 AM

Wasn't sure if a site plan had been posted, so here:

http://www.bigreddog.com/wordpress/w...3_15_CS101.jpg

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:55 PM

I see those plans call for a 12,044 sq ft grocery. I think most of the Trader Joe's are between 10,000 & 15,000 sq ft. If the one planned for Seaholm weren't so close, that would be a good location. Counting the units in that development, plus Gibson Flats & Post South Lamar, that's over 900 new apartments within 2 blocks.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
I hate it. Wheatsville could have gone to a number of other places in the same general area that are actually now (or could be in the future) accessible to bikes and pedestrians, and instead they picked this disaster which will never, ever, ever be anything but automobile crap.

You can't be green if everybody has to drive to your store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin