HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:50 PM

Another round of public consultation expected for controversial St. John's proposal

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...box=1592902660

Reminder that councillors' email addresses are here to comment for or against.

http://www.stjohns.ca/city-hall/about-city-hall/council

It's on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:14 PM

Former Dominion Demo Churchill Square

Great to see some progress on this project!

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...lished-473092/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
Great to see some progress on this project!

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...lished-473092/
Nice! I do really like this project, I think it's perfect for the square.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:13 PM

I agree - new life is exactly what Churchill Square needs

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 8:53 PM

What's going on with Chancellor Park? Seem to be doing a massive expansion right up to the road.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 3:07 PM

I notice that the former Princess Auto building on Aberdeen Avenue is sold. (I saw a 'Sold' sticker on the for sale sign outside the building yesterday.) I wonder what the future of this building is?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:09 PM

More rumours only and no confirmation so it could be nothing. But I heard that there is a major bakery in the Gambo/Charlottetown area that supplies baked goods to local supermarkets and Costco here in town and also goods to other provinces has bought the former Princess Auto building. I googled bakeries in the area and came up with Goulding’s Wholesale which owns Chatmans Bakery and West Tower Bakery. Can only assume it might be them. Couldn’t find info on it anywhere else.

I heard a couple of rumours regarding other buildings in the area. Remember they are JUST rumours that Eastern Health has bought the former RONA building on White Rose Drive and that the Costco building was sold too but by who I dont know Anyone hear anything about these rumours or shed any light on them? Be nice to see some activity down there again.

I might add. Eastern health are planning to to a major expansion to the emergency dept at Health Sciences and will likely be relocating the current clinics that are currently right next to emergency. Here is a link to their projects page.

https://www.easternhealth.ca/about-u...ojects/hsc-er/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I notice that the former Princess Auto building on Aberdeen Avenue is sold. (I saw a 'Sold' sticker on the for sale sign outside the building yesterday.) I wonder what the future of this building is?

Last edited by Arrakis; Aug 2, 2021 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
More rumours only and no confirmation so it could be nothing. But I heard that there is a major bakery in the Gambo/Charlottetown area that supplies baked goods to local supermarkets and Costco here in town and also goods to other provinces has bought the former Princess Auto building. I googled bakeries in the area and came up with Goulding’s Wholesale which owns Chatmans Bakery and West Tower Bakery. Can only assume it might be them. Couldn’t find info on it anywhere else.

I heard a couple of rumours regarding other buildings in the area. Remember they are JUST rumours that Eastern Health has bought the former RONA building on White Rose Drive and that the Costco building was sold too but by who I dont know Anyone hear anything about these rumours or shed any light on them? Be nice to see some activity down there again.

I might add. Eastern health are planning to to a major expansion to the emergency dept at Health Sciences and will likely be relocating the current clinics that are currently right next to emergency. Here is a link to their projects page.

https://www.easternhealth.ca/about-u...ojects/hsc-er/
Hmm... very interesting! Although, as you noted, this information is unsubstantiated at this point, it kind of makes sense to have clinic space move to this location. There are outpatient services already at Major's Path. Moving other outpatient clinics in the area will make it more "centralized". Removing clinics at HSC will free up the space needed to expand Emergency Services. Another (albeit indirect) advantage is that it may help alleviate some of the patient parking woes at HSC.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 12:56 PM

I do know that the federal government had given some thought a few years ago to purchasing some of the vacant buildings in the Stavanger Dr. area for office space. However, it seems like working from home will be a permanent thing so they won’t need the office space that was required a few years ago. At one point the feds had planned on moving out of downtown areas and find cheaper rent or buildings outside of there. Not sure if that would apply to St. John’s as much as it would some other cities across the country.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:25 AM

I heard that the Rona building has either been sold or leased. To whom I do not know.

As for the Princess Auto building, I was told by several sources that Atlantic Grocery Distributors of Bay Roberts has purchased the building. They are a major food supplier in Newfoundland and a major produce supplier. They are a major supplier for the Walmart Supercentres. They also have a large bakery operation, suppling may other chains with baked goods and also their own brand Golden Crust. They also operate the Powell's Supermarket chain in Conception Bay North. I haven't heard what their plans are for the building at this point.

Last edited by wmemeadusjr; Aug 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:24 PM

Looks like Newfoundland Canvas is moving into the former Bowering location on Stavanger Drive; I noticed 'Coming Soon' signs in the window.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:52 AM

Former Sundance club to become craft brewery, restaurant, live-music venue for downto

Saltwire Media
August 31, 2019
Author: Rosie Mullaley

I'll link the article, although it is Saltwire so there may be a paywall. Sounds pretty interesting and definitely a plus to have such a large building in use again. I'm kinda glad Hooters didn't get the go ahead... much better to see a local company and another craft brewery; although we may be hitting our saturation point with these by now.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...hns-100629112/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 11:46 AM

I noticed a sold sign on the old Escasoni building on Portugal Cove Road. Anyone know who bought it or any plans for it? A google search shows it sold 4.5 years ago but I think it was since put up for sale again.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I noticed a sold sign on the old Escasoni building on Portugal Cove Road. Anyone know who bought it or any plans for it? A google search shows it sold 4.5 years ago but I think it was since put up for sale again.
It was in the news. It's going to be a personal care home again.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:06 PM

Churchill Park Project

Topped out view from the park

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:52 PM

[QUOTE=wmemeadusjr;9357855]I heard that the Rona building has either been sold or leased. To whom I do not know.

Building announced as new home of Innovation Centre.

https://vocm.com/2022/12/19/196133/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:05 PM

Bally Haly and Clovelly swap land

https://vocm.com/2023/02/02/bally-ha...lly-land-swap/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:26 PM

Was just reading that article and trying to understand what exactly was on the go.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Was just reading that article and trying to understand what exactly was on the go.
It appears that the Clovelly bunch want to get out of the golf game and develop the Bally Haly land for houses.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 10:40 AM

White Rose Drive

Anyone know what is being built in front of Dollarama in the lot at White Rose Drive? Foundation appears to be a standalone building, similar in size to a fast food place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's