HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 9:35 PM

I will always promote Chicago financial services but I also adore the (overlooked, downplayed, underestimated) creative capital in this city.

By no means massive news, but it doesn't hurt.

How Chicago became world premiere capital

What would be Chicago's Leicester Square?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
I will always promote Chicago financial services but I also adore the (overlooked, downplayed, underestimated) creative capital in this city.

By no means massive news, but it doesn't hurt.

How Chicago became world premiere capital

What would be Chicago's Leicester Square?
Thank you for posting this! I love the quote "I've heard Chicago referred to as the Silicon Valley of new plays".

I purchased my ticket to see "Merge" at New Colony this Saturday after reading the article on my train ride home.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:18 PM
The City

James Beard Awards to be held here through 2021

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
James Beard Awards to be held here through 2021
Article: http://chicago.eater.com/2016/10/14/...on-awards-2021

I don't see we've seen much, if any, economic impact of this other than on the award week itself. I'm still holding out hope that it "convinces" some of the wealthier restaurateurs from other cities to open up places in Chicago once (Still hoping for a David Chang restaurant).

Beat out San Francisco and New Orleans. Solidifies Chicago's place on the country's and world's stage as far as premiere food cities go though. Doesn't hurt reputation wise one bit.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:27 PM

Snapsheet gets $20 million

Snapsheet, which makes a smartphone app to speed up collision-repair estimates for auto insurers, has another $20 million to feed its rapid growth.

Snapsheet is on a roll. In the past year it has more than doubled headcount from fewer than 100 employees to more than 250, says President C.J. Przybyl. About 140 work at the company's headquarters at 600 W. Chicago Ave. It also tripled its number of customers to 35 insurers and more than doubled revenue.

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ses-20-million

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:05 PM

^^ As intoxicating as the HQ and wholesale suburban relocations are, I love these stories of some-company-I've-never-heard-of is planning an expansion or has grown larger. Organic growth rocks.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 9:59 PM

A wee acquisition and while Chicago is not really a player in the capital markets, this is right up Morningstar's alley.

Morningstar buys deal-tracking platform PitchBook for $180 million

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
^^ As intoxicating as the HQ and wholesale suburban relocations are, I love these stories of some-company-I've-never-heard-of is planning an expansion or has grown larger. Organic growth rocks.
Me too - there's a lot of happening out there with stuff like this. They don't advertise their growth until later, like these last few companies. I know of other already well established companies looking to expand and hire a bunch of well paying tech - not even sure if it'll make the news.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 11:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ I've been hearing that from a lot of people and have yet to see it myself. I'm renting two bedrooms in little village for $1400+ a month and 3 BRs for $1600. I've been getting like a call a day just off craigslist. Already over 50% rented and I don't even have my CO yet. I've heard scattered anecdotes about people having trouble moving apartments in certain places like Logan Square near all the new TOD, but you aren't going to get $2000/mo for a half assed rennovation of a tiny old three bedroom when they are leasing brand new 2 BDs with amenities closer to the train for $2500/
I think what you're witnessing is a couple of phenomena at once. This is why I emphasize that real estate is not only local, it is hyper local.

Little Village is seeing such little new product that if you are introducing it, you'll quickly get good renters and decent rents. Same goes for western portions of Pilsen where I'm having better luck.

But in a place like Bucktown or Wicker Park where there are a lot of options and we are beginning to see much more new construction, there is a bit of pain. I have a building that had a mediocre rehab done recently near North and Ashland. I seem to be losing renters to the nearby new construction, and am having to actually lower rents. The construction boom does have an impact on the market. I argue that in the short term it is harmful, but I am not turning NIMBY because I am in for the long game, and in the long run all of this investment will only improve my property's value.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:33 PM

SC Johnson opens Chicago HQ after Emanuel suggested move

SC Johnson Chief Executive Fisk Johnson recalled the time about four years ago when he crossed paths with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

"If memory serves me correctly, we weren't but just a few minutes into our conversation when he was suggesting that we move some jobs to Chicago," the Racine, Wis., executive recalled Thursday. "It caught me a little off guard because my family and our company love our home city of Racine, and we have very deep roots there, so it was a little bit of an eye opener for that as a conversation starter."

Four years after Emanuel planted the seed of the idea with the head of the fifth-generation, family-led business, SC Johnson officially opened its new North American regional headquarters in downtown Chicago on Thursday.

"We already had a lot of SC Johnson people already commuting all the way up to Racine every day" from the Chicago area, Johnson said at the opening of the Chicago headquarters Thursday. And "as our management team thought about it, there's an incredible wealth of talent in" Chicago, "and we felt it could open up new horizons for our company."

About 175 workers are moving from Racine, Wis., to leased space in 550 W. Washington St.

Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...014-story.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:23 PM

Lets face it the guy is doing a good job of recruiting. I wish they would come from outside the midwest and US.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 5:23 AM
TL;DR

I'm just the teensiest bit sad to see SC Johnson opening a spot in Chicago. The company stayed in Racine and continued to invest in that city handsomely for decades, even through the deindustrialization in the last 40 years. Truly, the small Midwestern city is dead. Even the "success stories" are getting less successful every year.

I love Chicago and big cities in general, but I'm seriously wondering if the city can remain healthy long-term when it is surrounded by such a struggling region. You don't even need to leave the city to realize that we are still very much in the Rust Belt.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 12:10 PM

I think most large companies in the region will at least end up with satellite offices in the city for access to the labor pool. Talented people I know turn down good jobs in the burbs simply because they don't want to commute or move out there.

Racine may be great by small midwestern town standards but I'm not moving there even if you doubled my salary.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:14 PM
The City

^ Racine is not as dead as you think. I lived there for nearly 4 years and sure it's lame, but a lot of people there are perfectly content and it's not like it's some sore of ghost town or anything

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
^ Racine is not as dead as you think. I lived there for nearly 4 years and sure it's lame, but a lot of people there are perfectly content and it's not like it's some sore of ghost town or anything
I don't think I said Racine sucks. Pretty sure I said that a lot of younger talent simply has no interest in moving/working there. Without direct access to Chicago's labor pool regional companies will incresingly be at a competitive disadvantage.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
nm

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I think most large companies in the region will at least end up with satellite offices in the city for access to the labor pool. Talented people I know turn down good jobs in the burbs simply because they don't want to commute or move out there.

Racine may be great by small midwestern town standards but I'm not moving there even if you doubled my salary.
It is a very real issue. My wife's company has a downtown office so as to allow workers to not have to drive out to the boonies. It definitely helps them with recruiting.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yep, my cousin lives downtown and works for discover. she used to do the reverse commute out to deerfield everyday.

they've since opened a downtown work-space where she can work from most of the time. she now only has to head up to deerfield about once a week.

she says it's been life-changing to the point where she's no longer desperately searching for a new job.

reverse commuting out to deerfield once a week? doable.

reverse commuting out to deerfield everday? soul-crushing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm just the teensiest bit sad to see SC Johnson opening a spot in Chicago. The company stayed in Racine and continued to invest in that city handsomely for decades, even through the deindustrialization in the last 40 years. Truly, the small Midwestern city is dead. Even the "success stories" are getting less successful every year.

I love Chicago and big cities in general, but I'm seriously wondering if the city can remain healthy long-term when it is surrounded by such a struggling region. You don't even need to leave the city to realize that we are still very much in the Rust Belt.
i don't know how familar a lot of you chicago guys are with central illinois, but for whatever reason my office tends to handle outstate illinois projects far more than our loop/rolling hills offices..they seem somewhat oblivious to the rest of the state. however, nearly every sizable city that i have worked in over the years could be variously described as partially bombed out or completely bombed out...from east st. louis to coal city, kewanee to decatur. some of the larger ones are on the precipice, like peoria. the surrounding states towns are just not as in bad shape, it seems, for whatever reason. and of course illinois outside of chicago gets almost no tourist dollars from major midwestern metro areas. almost zilch, excepting a sprinkle to say galena, grafton, springfield.

i speculate that many of these towns between st. louis and chicago/iowa/nw indiana took on more FAR more manufacturing, due to great rail connections, coal supply, etc than other midwestern areas and the result is HUNDREDS of small rustbelt towns/small cities. outstate illinois is in really bad shape, other than a few islands like bloomington-normal. the illinois part of our metro really skews the numbers down here, locally, due to the heavy rust-belt influence.

i'm not as familiar with outstate wisco/michigan/indiana...though the northern half of indiana seems like an extension of illinois. i don't know how you fix this...i don't think you can. these towns have to just die back, i guess. it's all just too atomized and scattered.

Last edited by Centropolis; Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:48 PM

thats not just illinois, its the midwest in general. take an amtrak train west and take a look out the window at the towns youre passing through. the heart of this country has been pretty much decimated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest