HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yes. No other answer.

You might as well ask “is the cheapskate with $1.5M in a brokerage account who lives modestly actually wealthier than the guy who won $500k in the lottery and is living the high life right now?”

If you have a luxury product to sell, the latter is a better customer. But that’s not exactly the same thing as measuring wealth.
The woman with a $2 million brownstone on a fixed income is not living a luxury lifestyle. She could qualify for food stamps. More likely that the guy in suburban Detroit is living the more luxurious lifestyle.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
And does anyone have a US only list? Thanks in advance
1. New York, NY (345,600)

2. San Francisco Bay Area, CA (276,400)

3. Los Angeles, CA (192,400)

4. Chicago, IL (160,100)

5. Houston, TX (132,600)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The woman with a $2 million brownstone on a fixed income is not living a luxury lifestyle. She could qualify for food stamps. More likely that the guy in suburban Detroit is living the more luxurious lifestyle.
And that’s EXACTLY why I brought a third person to the example, who lives a more luxurious lifestyle than both yet is unarguably the poorest of the three when we’re measuring wealth.

In order of wealth:

1. Free and clear Brownstone lady
2. Guy in suburban Detroit
3. Guy who’s spending his lottery earnings

In order of “who should you visit if your job is to sell luxury products”:

1. Guy who’s spending his lottery earnings
3. Brownstone lady

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I agree, but this is a separate issue from wealth.

There are plenty of people living in the Bay Area with $2 million+ homes but driving old Hondas, wearing crappy clothes and shopping Sam's Club.

There are plenty of people living in 400-500k homes in Ohio and Michigan, driving luxury vehicles and shopping for luxury consumer goods.

It's just a different allocation of resources. I'd say the scruffy Bay Area dude with the $15 jeans and the sedan with 200k miles and the $2 million Sunnyvale home is richer than the social climber with the leased BMW, the $400 shoes and the exurban OH McMansion.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think both sources of wealth should be treated the same.

Yeah, there are costs/barriers to selling a home, but there are also costs to cashing out a brokerage account. Generally speaking, if you have (say) $1 million sitting in a Vanguard account, it would be very costly to just liquidate the whole thing at once. You'd have a giant tax burden.

Selling a $1 million house (and not buying a new one) is probably a bit easier, bc there's no tax on the sale for a married couple for up to 500k of profit. Most homeowners would probably get away with paying nothing.
Wasn’t sure how capital gains on primary residences are treated in the US, but you just explained why Canadian real estate is super boosted: one’s primary residence here is an untaxed asset class upon selling, without limit.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:49 PM

Quote:
And that’s EXACTLY why I brought a third person to the example, who lives a more luxurious lifestyle than both yet is unarguably the poorest of the three when we’re measuring wealth.

In order of wealth:

1. Free and clear Brownstone lady
3. Guy who’s spending his lottery earnings

In order of “who should you visit if your job is to sell luxury products”:

1. Guy who’s spending his lottery earnings
3. Brownstone lady
But that third example doesn't actually break the reasoning for not including primary residence in calculation of "wealth" (distinct from calculation of "net worth"). Whether he lives modestly or not, the person with the brokerage account has more financial flexibility than the other two people. The lottery winner has more flexibility than the house rich retiree.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I agree, but this is a separate issue from wealth.

There are plenty of people living in the Bay Area with $2 million+ homes but driving old Hondas, wearing crappy clothes and shopping Sam's Club.

There are plenty of people living in 400-500k homes in Ohio and Michigan, driving luxury vehicles and shopping for luxury consumer goods.

It's just a different allocation of resources. I'd say the scruffy Bay Area dude with the $15 jeans and the sedan with 200k miles and the $2 million Sunnyvale home is richer than the social climber with the leased BMW, the $400 shoes and the exurban OH McMansion.
Exactly. And it’s not even “I’d say…” You don’t get to decide, it’s basic math. $2M > $1.5M, period.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty different. I would argue that a person is not really wealthy if their source of wealth is the single family home where they live. Is a retired elderly woman on a fixed income, living in a $2 million Brooklyn brownstone, more wealthy than someone living in a $200k house suburban Detroit with $1.5 million in a brokerage account?
I'm not sure I follow...If I bought a house for $1,000,000 and put 20% down, am I $200K "poorer" because I put cash towards the purchase of my home?

I own multiple investment / rental properties, 2 of which are completely paid off, are they not included in my net worth? should a bank not evaluate those properties when determining my wealth / credit worthiness for a loan?

To answer your question, yes the old lady is wealthier, assuming no other assets/income which is very very unlikely in that fake scenario.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I'm not sure I follow...If I bought a house for $1,000,000 and put 20% down, am I $200K "poorer" because I put cash towards the purchase of my home?

I own multiple investment / rental properties, 2 of which are completely paid off, are they not included in my net worth? should a bank not evaluate those properties when determining my wealth / credit worthiness for a loan?
I specifically said primary residence.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
But that third example doesn't actually break the reasoning for not including primary residence in calculation of "wealth" (distinct from calculation of "net worth"). Whether he lives modestly or not, the person with the brokerage account has more financial flexibility than the other two people. The lottery winner has more flexibility than the house rich retiree.
How do you define the difference between "Wealth" and "Net Worth"? Net worth is a measure of wealth.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
And why does financial flexibility matter here? I thought we were measuring wealth, not flexibility.

A guy with a million in cash in a mattress is wealthier than a guy with $1.5M in a brokerage fund, according to you?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
But why does that matter?

Wealth/Net Worth matters for things like Loans, a bank is 100% looking at all of your assets to determine that number. If you own your primary residence outright, you can bet a bank will allow you to borrow against that asset, assuming there is nothing crazy in your credit.

Perhaps I don't understand the use-case for why your measuring wealth the way you are? I can't think of a single scenario where it would be beneficial to measure your wealth/net worth w/out your primary residence.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Ironically, I’d actually be wealthier-after-taxes if I could magically convert everything I own into one single primary residence of the same value located in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
And why does financial flexibility matter here? I thought we were measuring wealth, not flexibility.

A guy with a million in cash in a mattress is wealthier than a guy with $1.5M in a brokerage fund, according to you?
The barrier to liquidating a brokerage account is minimal versus keeping cash in a mattress. The brokerage account is also accruing interest.

Liquidating your primary residence is not a trivial thing. If a person derives the majority of their wealth from their primary residence then I don't see how that person is considered "wealthy" in most cases. If they diversify the asset then sure, but until they do that I don't see why we would muddy the definition of wealthy when it's pretty easy to just exclude it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
But why does that matter?

Wealth/Net Worth matters for things like Loans, a bank is 100% looking at all of your assets to determine that number. If you own your primary residence outright, you can bet a bank will allow you to borrow against that asset, assuming there is nothing crazy in your credit.

Perhaps I don't understand the use-case for why your measuring wealth the way you are? I can't think of a single scenario where it would be beneficial to measure your wealth/net worth w/out your primary residence.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can easily get a bank loan by just owning a house and no income or other assets. That would be extremely predatory.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
The barrier to liquidating a brokerage account is minimal versus keeping cash in a mattress. The brokerage account is also accruing interest.

Liquidating your primary residence is not a trivial thing. If a person derives the majority of their wealth from their primary residence then I don't see how that person is considered "wealthy" in most cases. If they diversify the asset then sure, but until they do that I don't see why we would muddy the definition of wealthy when it's pretty easy to just exclude it.
It’s you who’s muddying the definition. The rest of us have a very clear one: wealth is wealth.

Spending habits are irrelevant. I live a really modest lifestyle these days (I’m extremely illiquid). People with a tiny fraction of my net worth likely live nicer lifestyles.

“How much do you spend per year” and “how wealthy are you” are entirely different questions. Often correlated, sure, but not necessarily.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can easily get a bank loan by just owning a house and no income or other assets. That would be extremely predatory.
Right, but you'd have a hard time getting any type of loan with zero income and only one asset, of any kind.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm using Net Worth to define wealth, the equity in your home is part of your overall net worth. I'm honestly not quite sure what you're using to measure wealth.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
It’s you who’s muddying the definition. The rest of us have a very clear one: wealth is wealth.

Spending habits are irrelevant. I live a really modest lifestyle these days (I’m extremely illiquid). People with a tiny fraction of my net worth likely live nicer lifestyles.

“How much do you spend per year” and “what’s your net worth” are entirely different questions.
But you've stated a few times that you own real estate, so your net worth isn't primarily derived by your primary residence. Would removing your primary residence from the calculation substantially impact your "wealth"* calculation?

*Also, to be clear, your primary residence obviously is part of your "net worth". But if you don't qualify as "wealthy" by removing your primary residence, then you probably aren't "wealthy".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm using Net Worth to define wealth, the equity in your home is part of your overall net worth. I'm honestly not quite sure what you're using to measure wealth.
The government doesn't think you should consider primary residence in it lol: https://www.sec.gov/info/smallbus/se...-standard-secg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions