HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I would encourage anyone else reading this to look into your past to anyone who has used these same words directed at you. Were you playing the victim or was that person trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage by gaslighting you? Whenever I hear someone use these words, I automatically assume that the person is abusive and manipulative until proven otherwise. People rarely use these words in good faith.
Get a grip!

Posting on an online forum is not the same as some sort of official academic exercise. Do your own research and analysis if you want to.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:53 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Get a grip!

Posting on an online forum is not the same as some sort of official academic exercise. Do your own research and analysis if you want to.
My issues with them does not have to do with this being academic or not. My issue with them has to do with how he consistently speaks down to me as if I can’t possibly contribute value.

Which is exactly what you just did.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:46 PM
Never Dell

Yes sources should be noted, along with criteria.

But wwmiv, a simple comment would be plenty. I see nothing worthy of your insults or lengthy battle.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
My issue with them has to do with how he consistently speaks down to me as if I can’t possibly contribute value.
I've reread this thread a few times now, and I still have no idea what you're talking about here re: "can't possibly contribute value." If anything, you're the antagonist. Especially in histrionic post 13.

Dial some of that righteous indignation down to a 2 or 3, Vic Vinegar.

Last edited by Shawn; Oct 4, 2022 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:34 AM

I have a question about the data and North Dakota in particular. Does it include farmsteads as detached SFH as well? If not, a significant portion of North Dakotans still live on their farms and agriculture is still the backbone of the state even if it's not the largest sector of the economy right now. Also Fargo has been building aprtment like crazy and the ND side of the metro area there is like 200k in a state of 780,000.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the city of chicago overall is 24% detached-SFH, but a giant percentage of that is found in the outter bungalow-belt hoods.

my zip code on the far northside (lincoln square/albany park) is only 15% detched SFH.

but my area is a champion of "missing middle" housing with 60% of all housing units within structures containing 2 - 9 units (2-flats, 3-flats, 6-flats).

i've never lived in a SFH since becoming an adult (though i spent my entire childhood growing up in a SFH in the northern burbs of chicago).

it's interesting how where i live now is basically a full inversion of where i grew up.

my childhood zip code was about 80% SFH / 20% multi-family, and here in the city it's 15% SFH / 85% multi-family.
And even for the 24 percent I would bet a large number of those have non legal basement units as well.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
And even for the 24 percent I would bet a large number of those have non legal basement units as well.
and/or illegal units up in the attic.

my best friend grew up in an irving park bungalow with an illegal unit up in the attic.

his aunt and uncle lived in that unit for a good chunk of his childhood.

though i don't know if the CB really cares about the legality of housing units when it does its tabulations.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 5, 2022 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:55 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I have a question about the data and North Dakota in particular. Does it include farmsteads as detached SFH as well? If not, a significant portion of North Dakotans still live on their farms and agriculture is still the backbone of the state even if it's not the largest sector of the economy right now. Also Fargo has been building aprtment like crazy and the ND side of the metro area there is like 200k in a state of 780,000.
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I cited the source. I parsed a data set from the USCB. Any other questions you want answered should be directed at the US Census Bureau.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:38 AM

Actually, ever since seeing how much free time iheartthed had to invest arguing on how to distinguish one's "wealth" from one's "net worth" (), I wouldn't feel out of place asking him for a bit more info about his OP's data, since wwmiv couldn't find any trace of it at the claimed source.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and/or illegal units up in the attic.

my best friend grew up in an irving park bungalow with an illegal unit up in the attic.

his aunt and uncle lived in that unit for a good chunk of his childhood.
My gf and I have as our pied-à-terre in my hometown an "illegal unit" in one of my properties (the building was conceived as a 9-unit, but to comply with provincial building code, I reduced it to 8 units, the ninth became "storage" though I left the kitchen and bathroom intact). Way I see it, as long as it's not actually leased to a stranger, it's fine. I'm even comfortable being seen there by the authorities -- though I'm not going to go out of my way to brag to them about living there.

It's never illegal, at least not in any jurisdiction I'm familiar with, to have extra kitchens and extra bathrooms. So your best friend's uncle and aunt were technically his roommates.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

It's never illegal, at least not in any jurisdiction I'm familiar with, to have extra kitchens and extra bathrooms. So your best friend's uncle and aunt were technically his roommates.
no, they paid rent to live in that separate attic unit, therefore it was an "illegal" unit as defined by the city of chicago.

straight from chicago.gov:

Quote:
Illegal Conversions

A Certificate of Zoning Compliance certifies the number of residential dwelling units for a property that are legal under the Chicago Zoning Ordinance.

An Illegal Conversion is the addition of a separate dwelling unit above the number of residential units designated for that residential property in the Certificate of Zoning Compliance.

Illegal conversions may pose a serious life-safety threat to all residents of the property. It is highly probable that the illegal unit may lack adequate ventilation, ceiling height and natural lighting as well as lack adequate exiting in the event of a fire or other emergency.

Most illegal conversions are basements or attics which have been turned into separate rented apartment units or an existing single dwelling unit which is partitioned into two dwelling units.

Buildings with over 4 residential dwelling units require private garbage containers and pick-up. Illegal conversions may result in the building forfeiting City garbage pick-up.

You may need to obtain a permit for the de-conversion of basement or attic units.

If you know of or suspect an illegal conversion in your neighborhood, you may contact 311, who will route your request to the appropriate City department(s) for inspection and enforcement action.
source: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...versions0.html

but i honestly have no idea how often these violations are enforced, as there seem to be illegal units in flats and bungalows all over the city.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2022 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
It doesn't look like the housing characteristics data tracks farmsteads as a distinct category. The categories in the dataset that I looked at are sfh detached, sfh attached, various multi-unit categories, mobile homes, and a category for "Boat, RV, van, etc.".

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It doesn't look like the housing characteristics data tracks farmsteads as a distinct category. The categories in the dataset that I looked at are sfh detached, sfh attached, various multi-unit categories, mobile homes, and a category for "Boat, RV, van, etc.".
Thanks for the response.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions