HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: If you won lottery money, would you move to a new locale?
Nah, I'm good where I'm at 58 65.91%
Probably, I do have a "dream" city 15 17.05%
Hard Yes, I can't leave fast enough 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:24 PM

Richy sprawl is often surprisingly bicycle friendly. Look at Denver. Its chock full of McMansions with dedicated bike paths everywhere. Yeah none of my plans exclude cycling.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Richy sprawl is often surprisingly bicycle friendly. Look at Denver. Its chock full of McMansions with dedicated bike paths everywhere. Yeah none of my plans exclude cycling.
the roads in the woodfield area so ridiculously bike un-friendly, that they've actually signed some of the sidewalks that do exist as bike routes.

pedestrians are so few and far between in that area that it probably is on ok-ish solution.

there are also so damn many parking lots that you can actually sometimes use them as workarounds for the harrier streets and intersections, but then you'll also sometimes just run into dead-ends where shit doesn't connect and you get dumped out onto a super-busy high-speed 6 lane stroad with no traffic signal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:57 PM

No, unless I could afford to move all my family and friends.

I'm very close with my family and see them multiple times a week. I have no interest in leaving that.

The most important thing in any community is ultimately the people.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:03 PM
A Man In Dandism

Looks like the pulse of this thread has shifted to an overwhelming majority of "no" being the answer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:15 PM
A Man In Dandism

Interestingly, almost all of the folks that would opt to move are in Sunbelty areas. TX, FL, and CA.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:16 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Looks like the pulse of this thread has shifted to an overwhelming majority of "no" being the answer.
This forum is starting to skew older; people with young families, aging parents, established roots and so on. I thin if this question was posed 20 years ago, most would move. Including me.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This forum is starting to skew older; people with young families, aging parents, established roots and so on. I thin if this question was posed 20 years ago, most would move. Including me.
Yeah, there's definitely some truth there.

Though I was a "no" even 20 years ago.

Replace Micheal Husmer's name with mine in the article below and you've basically got my life story.

https://www.theonion.com/unambitious...liv-1819575312

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 5, 2022 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:04 AM

Probably not.

I would use the money to travel a bit, but I wouldn't want to risk losing it all.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:09 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
We've also gained the time and the resources to move where we want to be, for those of us who wanted to move when we were younger.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 11:33 AM

I would stay where I'm at as a home base, but with that kind of coin I would certainly temporarily rent a lot of furnished places around the world as I see fit..Maybe hotel suites for a month at a time..Like others, I wouldn't leave my roots permanently.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Interestingly, almost all of the folks that would opt to move are in Sunbelty areas. TX, FL, and CA.
Let's try to figure it out:

Nah, I'm good where I'm at
AaronPGH (Pittsburgh), Altoic, Atlas, benp, blorkishdork, Buckeye Native 001, cabasse, Cory, craigs, DetroitSky, dimondpark, eschaton (Pittsburgh), Gordo, hipster duck (Toronto), homebucket (San Francisco), iheartthed (New York), jigglysquishy, JManc (Houston), just a dummy, Kngkyle (Chicago), LAsam, left of center, lio45, LosAngelesSportsFan, MayDay, mousquet (Paris), muertecaza (Phoenix), PhilliesPhan (Philadelphia), pico44, pj3000 (Pittsburgh), Quixote, Razor, Ronin, SIGSEGV, Steely Dan (Chicago), Streamliner, TempleGuy1000, TWAK, Vlajos, xzmattzx, Yuri (São Paulo)

Probably, I do have a "dream" city
creamcityleo79, DCReid, Double L, jd3189, PhillyRising, photoLith, SpawnOfVulcan, TexasPlaya, Tom In Chicago (Chicago), TonyTone

Hard Yes, I can't leave fast enough
austlar1 (Austin), AviationGuy, bobdreamz, chris08876 (New York - suburbs), IluvATX, MolsonExport (London, Ontario), Sam Hill, SD_Phil, UrbanImpact, Urbannizer, urban_encounter

There are others that I think I know, but they might have moved.

Last edited by Yuri; Oct 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
No, unless I could afford to move all my family and friends.

I'm very close with my family and see them multiple times a week. I have no interest in leaving that.

The most important thing in any community is ultimately the people.
It's nice to meet new people, to make new friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
with something like 75% of the land in the woodfield area reserved for surface parking lots, at least you know you'll never be without a parking spot.
That's horrible. They should at least to plant tons of trees to hide this monstruosity a bit.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 3:34 PM

If I win the $580,000 Lottario Id likely stay renting on Dupont Ave and stick 90% of the winnings into a one year GIC paying out 4.5%.

I would wait until the 'everything bubble' bursts, and buy a 1 bed , 2 bath or 2 bed 2 bath condo outright. It'd likely be at the edge of Toronto or southern edge of Markham or Vaughan within a 10 minute walk of Yonge and Steeles or Bathurst and Steeles to catch the TTC to work.

Now if I won over $2,000,000 Id take a hard look at Merchandise Lofts. Id wait 1-2 years for a likely 30-35% correction in prices and then buy a loft there outright. That would leave me with at least $1,300,000. If I stuck $1,000,000 of that into that same 4.5% GIC , Id be looking at at least $37,000 per year after tax which would more than cover the condo fees, property taxes, hydro, gas, water, food, internet, phone and TTC metropass.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 4:03 PM

If I win $5 mil net after taxes, I would buy a 2 bedroom condo in downtown LA for my weekend spot /office / crash pad, a nice house in Pasadena as our permanent residence (along the arroyo or the area overlooking the rose bowl) and a cabin in the Sierra. Would buy the condo and cabin cash, roughly $2 million total, and partially finance the house which would be around $2 million (500k loan). Still leaves me a decent amount of money in reserve plus it's still work

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 4:51 PM

I just want to go home to Miami !

Last edited by bobdreamz; Oct 9, 2022 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 6:16 PM
E pluribus unum

*edit* I just now realize I completely misunderstood Yuri's post. This is what an English degree from Chapman University gets you

I'm in Northern Arizona, nowhere near Pittsburgh even though I enjoyed my brief visit to that city years ago. There's some eerie similarities between it and my hometown of Cincinnati, even though Pittsburgh is far more industrial.

If I ever moved back to Ohio (I won't) my first choice would be Columbus not because of Ohio State (although that wouldn't hurt), but I because my career is in civil service and Columbus is the literal heart of Ohio government. Cost of living there is a hell of a lot cheaper than Flagstaff and Phoenix and I don't really need much besides a Buckeye Basement and dogs to keep myself entertained.

Then again, my parents live two hours away in Phoenix/Mesa and they're not getting any younger. My gf is one of those rare native Arizonans and her mom lives in Phoenix. There's also my pension. I'm less than a year from 40 and that's probably going to be important the older I get...

Last edited by Buckeye Native 001; Oct 8, 2022 at 6:28 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot. What else is new?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Yep. Id move to Los Angeles. Buy some cool bungalow in Sherman Oaks and live a nice blue pilled valley life of chain restaurants and conspicuous consumerism. 100 percent not kidding.
Used to be that's really all anyone could ever want out of this life, everything else was noise. The valley still has a throwback vibe in many ways.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 10:02 PM

I simply hate changes except changes that only have pros and no cons. Moving would always have pros and cons. So I would rather stay. Money could still be spent on upgrading the existing house.

You can always have a second or third apartment somewhere, but there only is one home. I like the idea of basically living the same way as before, but with much more money. Then the changes are mostly positive.

The YouTube channel "Architectural Digest" has a lot of videos of celebrities showing their fancy homes. While it it nice to have a little more space, those are not places where I want to live. If a house is so big that you need staff to run it, it is too big. I do not want other people in my house. A house has to be small enough that I can do all the cleaning and all the work in the garden on my won. Becoming a millionaire would not change that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 12:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
In all likelihood, if my husband and I won lottery money our first move would be to stride briskly into the office of the nearest immigration lawyer, where the following exchange would take place:

"Hello there! We understand that the primary requirement for immigration to Canada and/or Scotland is to have more money than God. As we now have more money than God we're thinking Halifax or Edinburgh, although we could likely be persuaded to settle for Toronto or Aberdeen. Make it happen, and call some realtors while you're at it."

Several large fistfuls of money would be shaken at the lawyer to hurry the process along. We would make it rain up in that bitch.

We're both in our forties, and figure that getting out of the US would allow us enough time, as societal and ecological collapse sets in, to be gay-married in peace and die in relative peace rather than face the worst consequences in the US a decade or two before the rest of the world has to. The rest of the world is stupid, and will eventually have to face wholescale rot just like the US will, but weaponized stupidity is a much stronger force in the US than it is elsewhere at the moment, so the worst will come here first.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I would maintain my current home in my current city (London) as it is where I work (as a Prof, and I would not retire), but I would certainly purchase a property or two (likely condos) in Montreal and maybe New York City (or perhaps somewhere in Southern Europe, most likely Italy).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions