HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 2:47 PM
somewhere in-between

I had some business at WMU earlier this week, and so I finally took a look inside the new student center. The finished result is pretty sweet. It felt very active and welcoming; I ended up opening my computer and just working there remotely for a few hours. There is good WiFi, ample seating, and numerous food options. I also took some other photos around the rapidly-evolving main campus.

Student Center -

Dunbar Hall Renovation (about to open) -

Miller Auditorium front terrace / accessibility upgrades -

New Hilltop Village parking deck, u/c -

Bernhard Center (the old student center) is fenced off and will soon be demolished -

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 26, 2024 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:25 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo Township -

I'm slow in posting these photos that I took on the 17th. The remodeling work at Kalamazoo Central High School has begun. The $4 million project consists of replacing all of the original exterior, precast aggregate panels with insulated metal wall panels, resulting in a refreshed look and more energy-efficient building -

Bonus shots of the new baseball / softball fields (the snow is all melted now) -

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 10:15 PM
somewhere in-between

And just like that, we have a core! At 530 S Rose -

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:54 AM
Doc Love 3.0

I’ve said it before but I’m definitely a fan of the new WMU Student Center. I like the Dunbar Hall renovation the landscape architecture takes what is a new glass addition to a rather bland building and makes it into a cool inviting lower entrance area.

I like Miller Auditorium in general the new accessibility set up is well done. For a building of its time period it’s aged well ascetically speaking. The new stairs and ramp are understated& use of grey stone looks nice and fresh without standing out. As a matter of fact they did a good job making it look like it’s meant to be there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMxmubp-5Q

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:49 PM

530 S. Rose

I drove down Walnut and Rose today, and I have to say 530 S. Rose is going to look very large. I can't recall when Kalamazoo has built anything so close to existing buildings. And the core looks taller in person. Maybe they added another level since that pic?

The photo you posted shows a very ragged 120-year old house next door to the south. Can't imagine it will be there very long in the condition it's in. We're so used to seeing anything new in Kzoo surrounded by new parking lots (400 s. Rose), this comes across as ... different. I like it!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 8:19 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Highground View Post
I’ve said it before but I’m definitely a fan of the new WMU Student Center. I like the Dunbar Hall renovation the landscape architecture takes what is a new glass addition to a rather bland building and makes it into a cool inviting lower entrance area.

I like Miller Auditorium in general the new accessibility set up is well done. For a building of its time period it’s aged well ascetically speaking. The new stairs and ramp are understated& use of grey stone looks nice and fresh without standing out. As a matter of fact they did a good job making it look like it’s meant to be there.
If you want to browse through some far-more professional photos of the finished student center (which I highly recommend doing), check out the link below:

https://www.archdaily.com/1013546/we...m=projects_tab

Yeah, Miller is visually OK. The new accessibility features are a definite improvement. The existing interior (and exterior) is pretty plain, and the interior support spaces are showing their age. Having played on that stage a few times, it is still functional, but not great for certain types of productions. Still, it manages to pull in some good traveling Broadway acts. I think much of the upgrades & investments since its inception have been directed towards continuing that possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkazoo View Post
I drove down Walnut and Rose today, and I have to say 530 S. Rose is going to look very large. I can't recall when Kalamazoo has built anything so close to existing buildings. And the core looks taller in person. Maybe they added another level since that pic?

The photo you posted shows a very ragged 120-year old house next door to the south. Can't imagine it will be there very long in the condition it's in. We're so used to seeing anything new in Kzoo surrounded by new parking lots (400 s. Rose), this comes across as ... different. I like it!
I agree with your thoughts here. I am glad that the zoning allows such tiny setbacks along this corridor. I'm not sure how the neighbors feel (I imagine not great), but I think many of them are rentals, so they may have less long-term sentiments about the shadows and the soon-to-be obstructed views out their back window. My guess is that the two houses immediately south of here (534 & 536 S Rose) are not long for this world. I'm about 95% certain that the pink house (534) is vacant. This is the worse of the two, at least visually from the exterior. GIS shows it was built in 1911. I think the blue house (536, also b. 1911) is currently occupied. I think it's a similar story for the two houses to the north (514 and 518). 514 is an occupied rental (year built is N/A on GIS but presumably similar timeframe). I think 518 is vacant, and is in worse condition (b. 1915). 514 is zoned 201 COMMERCIAL-IMPROVED. The other three homes are zoned 401 RESIDENTIAL-IMPROVED. I could see all of these eventually vanishing and being replaced by denser, mixed-use development.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:33 PM
somewhere in-between

I'm intrigued (and, dare I say excited) by this news about The Crossroads Mall, which turns 44 this year -

The mall was purchased by Kohan Retail Investment Group in 2022. Kohan also manages the property. I don't know what their track record is for reviving dying malls, but The Crossroads has more potential and life than other malls in the region (think Battle Creek's Lakeview Square). Anecdotally, I have read several comments that observe that the mall has not felt this active in years.

I love the idea of embracing mall walkers, instead of shunning them. And trying to revive the food court to offer some variety and make it more of a destination seems smart. I'm realistic and know that it will take more than a few new dessert shops to revive a nearly-800,000 SF shopping center. But I have so many different ideas about how The Crossroads could become relevant once again to the local economy. Hopefully, management does too. If this experiment succeeds, it could become an important regional precedent in how to revive dying malls.

This update comes on the heels of other recent news, reflecting investment in the mall and its surrounding environs -

What’s coming to The Crossroads mall? Two iconic dessert brands

Portage to start work to support Crossroads mall area property values

12 new businesses opening in Portage's Crossroads Mall

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:41 AM
somewhere in-between

Some updates from around our changing city. Mostly Kalamazoo proper, but a few outlying things too...

1. Radisson Plaza Hotel Renovation -

The Radisson has finally finished a renovation project that started in 2020. All 340 hotel rooms have received a makeover, along with the main lobby areas and 50,000 SF of meeting and event spaces.

The paywalled article below includes photos, some of which I've re-posted here. To me, this renovation is a direct result of other recent hotels that opened downtown, increasing the competition and thus Radisson's motivation to up their game -

Quote:
Radisson Plaza Hotel completes multimillion-dollar renovation
Ryan Boldrey | MLive
March 15, 2024

Source: MLive | Provided by Radisson

2. Road Commission of Kalamazoo County New Facility

This is one of the bigger projects that I really did not track at all. But it is now finished. The $65 million facility consists of seven new buildings that provide offices, vehicle storage, and road salt storage on the outskirts of town, at 4400 S 26th St. in Comstock Township (about a mile west of the current facility within Kalamazoo city limits). There was an open house this past Thursday for the public to tour the new facility -

Quote:
Road Commission of Kalamazoo County unveils $65 million complex at community open house
Stephanie Forth | WWMT News Channel 3
March 21, 2024; updated March 22, 2024

Source: WKZO | Courtesy RCKC

Source: WWMT | Philip Gawel

3. 530 South Rose

Some recent pictures taken by me last week of 530 S. Rose St. I was reflecting on this realization while taking these pictures: while the 4 over 1 / five over 1 housing typology has been quite popular elsewhere, it has been very slow to catch on here in Kalamazoo. Other than this project, 400 Rose, and maybe Tall Timbers down in Portage (see next update), I can't think of very many examples. For how much we hear about the need for more housing options in and near downtown, the construction of new units is still just a slow trickle around here. Any thoughts why?

4. Tall Timbers

Progress photos from Tall Timbers in Portage - wrapping up for summer occupancy -

Source: Facebook | AVB

5. Kalamazoo Public Library RFPs

Kalamazoo Public Library is requesting proposals for professional design & construction services for the construction of a new Alma Powell Branch as well as space needs study for the Kalamazoo Public Library. Links to both RFPs are here.

Just for fun, I snapped this a few days ago in the central atrium of the downtown branch of the Kalamazoo Public Library, standing in the lower level and looking up through three more floors. The futuristic architecture is pretty dated, but this is still a cool moment -

6. Inkster Avenue Bridge Reconstruction, etc.

Reconstruction of the Inkster Ave. Bridge that traverses over Bronson Blvd. started this past Monday. Based on the state of the existing wood-framed bridge, one could easily guess that this bridge was quite old. But it only dates back to the 1990s. The replacement will not have as much charm, but will still have some stylistic elements integrated into it, along with dedicated space for cars and bike lanes in both directions. Not to mention, a desperately needed modernization from a pure safety standpoint (the current bridge has been closed to traffic since May 2021 due to structural deficiencies). Needless to say, getting around parts of Kalamazoo south of downtown is going to be a pain again for a while, with this work, and the much more impactful Westnedge Ave. & Whites Rd. reconstructions all happening concurrently. The $1.6 million bridge replacement is expected to take until around Labor Day to finish -

Proposed bridge rendering and detour map -

Source: City of Kalamazoo

Some photos of the existing bridge, immediately before demo began -

Source: MLive

Roadwork nearby (also on Inkster) recently unearthed some old street car tracks -

Source: Facebook | Dennis Benson

7. Electra Lounge

About a month ago, news dropped that a new dining establishment will take the place of the former Union, which closed in 2020 at 125 S Kalamazoo Mall. Called The Electra Lounge, it is billed as: "... a vibrant and unique establishment that brings together the best of both worlds - a cozy bar serving a variety of alcoholic beverages and delicious pizzas, coupled with an array of entertaining activities for adults."

Quote:
'Electra Lounge' plans to move into former Union in downtown Kalamazoo
Samantha May | WWMT News Channel 3
February 21. 2024
8. 812 - 820 Academy Street

These three houses at the bottom of Academy Street were recently demolished by Kalamazoo College. Somewhat inevitable, and yet also somewhat sad, this demolition was an early step in the college's eventual goal of a new gatweay building, as part of its greater master plan. The plan also includes an eventual realignment of Academy Street. The gray house in the foreground below was built in 1865 -

Source: Facebook | William Dolak

9. Days Inn & Suites Fire

Lastly, there was a pretty bad fire at the Days Inn & Suites near the airport, earlier today. Fortunately, no injuries were reported. But several people are going to be put out - the hotel includes long-term tenant units -

Quote:
Crews battle fire at hotel near Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport
Stephanie Forth | WWMT News Channel 3
March 24, 2024

Source: Facebook | Sarah Katherine Gerger

Source: WWMT | Michel Abels

10. Henderson Castle

If you missed it elsewhere, the Henderson Castle is up for sale. The listing price is $5 million.

11. 322 E Stockbridge Demolition

The City Commission approved an agreement on March 18 to proceed with demolition of the vacant structure at 322 E Stockbridge Ave. It most recently served as office space for the MI Dept. of Health & Human Services. There are currently no plans for what to do with the land. The demolition cost is projected to be higher than $1 million. A former bingo hall located on adjacent property closer to the road (328 W Stockbridge) was demolished last year for $183,000 -

Quote:
Vacant building slated for demolition in Kalamazoo
Joel Bissell | MLive
March 19, 2024; updated March 20, 2024

Source: MLive | Joel Bissell

12. Aerial Views

Lastly, here are a few dusk aerial views by local photographer Bill Dolak, from over a month ago. The first is near Stadium Drive, looking west towards Kalamazoo College (February 12, 2024). The second two are downtown -

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 28, 2024 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:17 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo -

KRESA CCC (Career Connect Campus) progress photos, from a week or two back -

Source: LinkedIn | George Kacan

Cross-laminated timber panels and glulam beams being installed -

Source: LinkedIn | Blake Nichols

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 29, 2024 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:43 PM
somewhere in-between

WMU Facilities posted the following update on Monday, along with an informative aerial view that shows the Hilltop Village progress -

Quote:
Construction activity inside the fenced Hilltop Village project area, on the west side of Arcadia Flats, will generate significant noise starting this week.
Contractors will be driving piles into the ground for the new pedestrian bridge. Crews are expected to work between 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, for about four weeks.

Source: Facebook | WMU Facilities

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:23 PM
somewhere in-between

The Gretch, making an appearance at the ribbon cutting for Phase 1 of the Zone 32 / Bogan Development, located at 315 E Frank Street, a few days back. Despite the gray weather, it's always a nice day when the Governor graces our fair little city (I spot former Mayor Bobby Hopewell there too) -

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:12 PM
somewhere in-between

Texas Township -

The Redwood Building on KVCC's main campus is getting a full renovation, soon to open as the new School of Cosmetology and Barbering (general location). The college will begin fully offering cosmetology and barbering in Fall 2024, in the 10,000 SF space. I appreciate the small nod to the original Alden Dow-designed tower feature, seen in the first picture below -

Source: Facebook | Abonmarche Byce

Some slightly older photos, from end of February -

Source: Facebook | Abonmarche Byce

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:31 PM
somewhere in-between

Portage -

PPS update (a bit overdue - pics from throughout March). Progress at two of the new elementary schools that are u/c. I was just thinking to myself the other day that these must be pretty far along by now, and boom - I found this update on the bond website -

1. Central Elementary -

2. Haverhill Elementary -

Source: portagbond.com

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 7, 2024 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:56 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo Event Center Updates -

Updated renderings were shared this week for the future event center. The development will consist of two primary buildings - the event center (north of Arcadia Creek) and a large parking deck (south of Arcadia Creek), connected by a skybridge. There will also be a public plaza (east of the parking deck). None of info this is new, but the design has clearly seen some refinement. The city has also agreed to vacate 17 ft. of W Water St. to support the development plans. Also, on Monday, the city commission approved a contractual agreement with CD Arena LLC for construction of water and wastewater systems in preparation of the new arena. As of yesterday, I saw crews already on-site. They were also conducting soil borings.

Quote:
Kalamazoo prepares for new downtown arena with approved infrastructure upgrade
by Samantha May | WWMT News Channel 3
April 15, 2024

Source: Facebook | WWMT News Channel 3

Site plan

Site plan detail

Source: MLive | City of Kalamazoo

W Water St Vacate Plan

W Water St Perspective View

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 19, 2024 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:33 PM

They really need to screen that parking deck or incorporate it better. It completely blocks the event center and looks like a big concrete barrier.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:15 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
They really need to screen that parking deck or incorporate it better. It completely blocks the event center and looks like a big concrete barrier.
Agreed. It surprised me a little to see it so open / exposed. Hopefully that particular element / screen just has not been determined yet.

The waterfall feature looks cool, but my mind immediately goes to long-term maintenance. It could be a neat element to light up at night / maybe project a team logo onto. But I see that as the first element to go, on the VE chopping block.

Here are some current views of 530 S Rose St (now known simply as Rose Place Senior Living). The building is reaching it's full massing, as they frame out the final (5th) floor. A mix of found photos and my own. There is also a slightly updated rendering on AVB's website -

Source: My own photos (taken 4/17/24)

Source: AVB

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 8:55 PM
somewhere in-between

The scale of the new Kalamazoo Country Club still blows my mind. This LinkedIn video, posted by All State Crane & Rigging, shows overall progress on the site. It doesn't even look like this crane is large enough to cover the whole thing. Screen grabs below -

Source: LinkedIn | All State Crane & Rigging, LLC

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:42 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
The scale of the new Kalamazoo Country Club still blows my mind. This LinkedIn video, posted by All State Crane & Rigging, shows overall progress on the site. It doesn't even look like this crane is large enough to cover the whole thing. Screen grabs below -
Just since I saw them in my feed, here are some renderings of the Country Club. They're not all that new, but I don't think they've all been posted on here. I spot eight tennis courts, three pools, water slides, a large hot tub, and a splash pad. This thing truly is gargantuan -

Source: LinkedIn | Tim Rayman

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations