HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:03 PM

nomarandlee i have always thought that spot across 55 east of MLK is where a big replacement building should go too. That connection would be pretty much the same distance as the current. I really do not care if they do it or not. What is there is fine and already built....but having the lakefront open again there would be nice too....600 million nice though?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The most obvious question is, why not just rehab the current lakeside center?
Why bother with that? The problem with the building is not just its age but that it's the convention equivalent of the nosebleed section in a stadium only less profitable. On top of being the city's most prolific bird killer. It's had a date with the wrecking ball for ages.

My impression is that they intend to make the South and West buildings into a single contiguous floor space instead of just linking them with the overhead passage.

Which would be fine if the state had unlimited funds, but I'm aghast that they're blowing half a billion to start on a minor nuisance when we have 10,000 more important priorities.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Which would be fine if the state had unlimited funds, but I'm aghast that they're blowing half a billion to start on a minor nuisance when we have 10,000 more important priorities.
You are aghast that Madigan's pet who ran on a platform of expanding handouts to the pensioners who are bankrupting the state is spending $600 million on a worthless project? Dude, the governor probably has a $600,000,000 donut budget...

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You are aghast that Madigan's pet who ran on a platform of expanding handouts to the pensioners who are bankrupting the state is spending $600 million on a worthless project? Dude, the governor probably has a $600,000,000 donut budget...
Haha, I prefer a little more circus when it comes to bread and circus boondoggles. Like mothballed high speed rail superstations and never-to-be-used suburban airports. Something instagrammable. This McCormick Place scheme is both expensive and boring.

Oh well, I suppose I can look forward to Lakeside being demolished.

Last edited by galleyfox; May 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm furious about this. And also puzzled. Who thinks this is a good idea? Sounds like they're just replacing one building with another, so there's no significant gain in square footage. There might even be a drop in square footage, Lakeside is vast and the air space over King Drive is not.

Somehow we're all expected to buck up for this? What do we even get out of it? If the convention center remains the same size or shrinks, then there is zero spillover benefit to hotels, businesses or the Chicago economy. $600M in new tax revenue could build an entire citywide network of BRT lanes, or plenty of other revolutionary investments. Instead we have to shovel more money into this unionized gravy train.

I'm also worried there is zero thought - and zero money - for what actually replaces Lakeside Center. "Open space" is a worthless concept, tell me specifically what that land will be used for, and it better not be Bears tailgating. Is McPier going to design and build the replacement park and turn it over to the Park District? Will we get a new world-class public space out of the deal, or just more useless grassy lawns? I'm also worried that the new building over King Drive will ruin the design of the existing convention center, and turn King Drive (one of our grandest boulevards) into an ugly, dank tunnel while totally destroying the campus feel.
This +1.
If there's $600m in tax revenue that can be raised, how is this possibility a priority to spend it on? Can McPier point to a single convention that has said, "yeah we'd love to come to Chicago, but man, that Lakeside Center and the lack of a building over MLK just really leave us uninspired so we're gonna go elsewhere."

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I can't find anything about this... presumably they are building under the approved PD from 2012? That was about to expire, but there is a letter from last year in the PD file authorizing a one year extension until late July of this year.

So it's time for them to shit or get off the pot... I doubt Sigcho-Lopez will authorize further extensions unless the developer agrees to comply with the latest version of the ARO or even the unofficial 30% affordable standard for Pilsen developments.

i drive past this site every day and there is certainly no sign of activity there. The approved PD calls for a pretty crappy site plan with a parking-heavy midrise on the south half and a drive-thru bank on the north. Ugh. Even a strip mall with a convenience store would be vastly better than a bank, since it would actually provide amenities to the neighborhood... but there's no way anyone will approve a business that sells package liquor so close to the CHA housing and multiple schools.
I found some more info about the Flats project at 15th/Blue Island... the new development will indeed nix the drive-thru bank and replace it with some walkable 1-story corner retail and some private outdoor space (dog run, pool deck etc). The midrise itself will also include a retail space, and finally treat Blue Island like a legitimate commerical corridor. Since this is a FLATS development, there's a good chance they bring a Heritage Coffee into one of the retail spaces. The other retail space will have some dedicated parking in back as well, so IMO it stands a decent chance of getting a tenant.

Big urbanist win over the previous scheme, even if the height was downgraded from 12 to 7 stories. I'm glad, since I'm about to move in across the street and it's kind of a weird urban renewal no-mans-land right now....

Best part, this was filed as a minor change to the existing PD for the site, so there's no way for Sigcho to get his claws in it. I think with Lightfoot's new anti-prerogative measures, they might even be able to extend the PD again in 2020 without Sigcho's permission.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:12 PM
The City

Quote:
I found some more info about the Flats project at 15th/Blue Island... the new development will indeed nix the drive-thru bank and replace it with some walkable 1-story corner retail and some private outdoor space (dog run, pool deck etc). The midrise itself will also include a retail space, and finally treat Blue Island like a legitimate commerical corridor. Since this is a FLATS development, there's a good chance they bring a Heritage Coffee into one of the retail spaces. The other retail space will have some dedicated parking in back as well, so IMO it stands a decent chance of getting a tenant.

Big urbanist win over the previous scheme, even if the height was downgraded from 12 to 7 stories. I'm glad, since I'm about to move in across the street....

Best part, this was filed as a minor change to the existing PD for the site, so there's no way for Sigcho to get his claws in it. I think with Lightfoot's new anti-prerogative measures, they might even be able to extend the PD again in 2020 without Sigcho's permission.
Great news, I've been waiting for that lot to get developed for a long time

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
This +1.
If there's $600m in tax revenue that can be raised, how is this possibility a priority to spend it on? Can McPier point to a single convention that has said, "yeah we'd love to come to Chicago, but man, that Lakeside Center and the lack of a building over MLK just really leave us uninspired so we're gonna go elsewhere."
If we have $600 MM to spend, why not spend it on the Discovery Partners Institute? JB has been weirdly lukewarm to that for a long time.

Ramming this McCormick Project through really smells of some old school corruption.....

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:22 PM
The City

Quote:
This +1.
Alright Lori!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...k-place-revamp

Quote:
Mayor Lori Lightfoot has come out against a legislative plan to expand McCormick Place by hitting areas as much as 10 miles away from the convention center with a 1 percent tax on restaurants, bars, and take-out food items.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
This +1.
The last convention I went to at McCormick, I was told by several people that coming to Chicago is insanely expensive, the sales aren't that great, but they feel they have to come, because Chicago is a 'premier city'. But if this city and state keep making it ever more expensive, for new facilities no one is asking for, don't be surprised if it starts sitting empty.

Sounds like Lori gets it.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
The most obvious question is, why not just rehab the current lakeside center?
Because it's Chicago. Our motto here is demolish everything and renovate nothing. Chicago is always big on ideas when it involves someone elses money so just tack on another special purpose tax for the next 30+ years. Not really sure how many conventions or trade shows have turned down Chicago because they didn't like this building. Yes it's underutilized and run down but it seems like that's more on purpose by the city just so they can sell building a new building.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
The last convention I went to at McCormick, I was told by several people that coming to Chicago is insanely expensive, the sales aren't that great, but they feel they have to come, because Chicago is a 'premier city'. But if this city and state keep making it ever more expensive, for new facilities no one is asking for, don't be surprised if it starts sitting empty.

Sounds like Lori gets it.
Exactly. Chicago definitely isn't the most expensive city to live in, but I would not be surprised if it is among the most expensive to visit. Which is not a good thing when you're battling for more tourism and to expand the city's cultural reach.

I don't have to pay New York rent, but a night out there doesn't seem out of whack with a night out here.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:38 PM

Interesting article from curbed on how chicago neighborhood's got their names.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/5/30...ot-their-names

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Because it's Chicago. Our motto here is demolish everything and renovate nothing. Chicago is always big on ideas when it involves someone elses money so just tack on another special purpose tax for the next 30+ years. Not really sure how many conventions or trade shows have turned down Chicago because they didn't like this building. Yes it's underutilized and run down but it seems like that's more on purpose by the city just so they can sell building a new building.
Yeah it's dumb. Serious lack of vision to suggest that this building be torn down for yet more green lawns on the lakefront. Why not convert it into an indoor sports complex for the Park District that can be used year-round? The main hall can fit four full-sized soccer fields or football fields, or way more if you're talking basketball, volleyball or tennis. Then there's a lower level hall with an equal square footage and just a lower ceiling height. Spend a few million to redecorate the building, build a few locker rooms and lay down some astroturf. The Park District is spending millions to build enormous suburban-style fieldhouses across the city, ugly tilt-up boxes. McCormick already has the parking infrastructure, bus connections, etc to be accessible to Chicago's families.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah it's dumb. Serious lack of vision to suggest that this building be torn down for yet more green lawns on the lakefront. Why not convert it into an indoor sports complex for the Park District that can be used year-round? The main hall can fit four full-sized soccer fields or football fields, or way more if you're talking basketball, volleyball or tennis. Then there's a lower level hall with an equal square footage and just a lower ceiling height. Spend a few million to redecorate the building, build a few locker rooms and lay down some astroturf. The Park District is spending millions to build enormous suburban-style fieldhouses across the city, ugly tilt-up boxes. McCormick already has the parking infrastructure, bus connections, etc to be accessible to Chicago's families.
Nice idea, too bad it discriminates against the neighborhoods so will be dismissed from consideration immediately.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Interesting article from curbed on how chicago neighborhood's got their names.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/5/30...ot-their-names
That was a really interesting read.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...wpost&t=230331

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:21 AM

444 N Orleans

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 1:11 PM

230 May

May 30

Chicago | 230 May by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 1:52 PM

Tribune Tower - gut and rehab

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:06 AM

So 4.3 Billion set aside for State Facilities in Capital
Construction bill. Could a new State office building downtown be in the offering ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development