HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I can't believe how stubborn Blago is. But then again, there really is no good solution to this problem. Somebody's gonna have to pay
There is a solution. A progressive income tax boosting rates to 5% or even 6% for income over 200k. But Blago is, as you said, too stubborn.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:57 PM
The City

http://www.suntimes.com/classifieds/...0356,HOF-News-
Uptown on the way up
DEVELOPMENT | New residents change flavor of neighborhood

May 11, 2007
BY CELESTE BUSK cbusk@suntimes.com
Like most Chicago lakefront neighborhoods, Uptown is no stranger to redevelopment. And, like its neighbors Lake View to the south, Edgewater to the north and Lincoln Square/North Center to the west, Uptown is no stranger to controversy as homebuyers have moved into new condos and houses, displacing long-time renters.

For years, this anxiety had a name all its own: Wilson Yard.

What's up in Uptown?
You may know it as the home of the Green Mill, but Uptown lays claim to plenty more good stuff.

Wilson Yard is the former site of a CTA maintenance facility on the west side of Broadway, between Wilson and Montrose. The project's housing component was the subject of heated debate. Like its far north neighbor Rogers Park, for years Uptown was known for its social services agencies and subsidized housing. The longtime alderman -- Helen Shiller, an independent firebrand on the City Council -- had worked to bring a Target retailer and affordable housing development to the site.
But newer, relatively wealthier residents wanted a different flavor of retail there, one that would blend better with the artsy feel of the historic architecture and their vision of the neighborhood. And they have been actively fighting for a different approach to developing the site.

"There are a number of people who live here who are tremendously committed to the community," said John Holden -- who owns a vintage two-flat, is a block club president, and has lived in the neighborhood for 15 years. "They spend untold hours at community meetings. This adds to Uptown and hopefully will help its future," Holden said.

As of this writing, that dispute is over with a whimper if not a bang. Construction begins in July on Shiller's plans for a $140-million development on the Wilson Yard site that calls for a 180,000-square-foot Target, 30,000 square feet of smaller retail and 168 units of affordable housing.

The rental component at Wilson Yard is a 98-unit high-rise apartment building, according to its developer Peter Holsten of Holsten Real Estate Development. Units in that building will be sold to seniors with incomes equivalent to 60 percent of the area median income, or $35,000, for a household of one. Another 78 units will be available for rental to those earning 60 percent of the area median income, or $50,000 for a household of four. The development includes 700 parking spaces.

"This affordability range can qualify instructors at Truman College, police officers and public school teachers," Holsten said. Other plans call for a new Aldi store, which is set to open June 2.

"The retail space is planned to include restaurants, a coffee shop and a bank," Holsten said. At least 100 parking spaces will be available for the smaller retail and general public use. Construction on the Target store is scheduled for June, and the development is scheduled to be completed within 22 months.

To pre-empt big-box sidewalk blight, the Target and other retail stores will front Broadway, while the housing will primarily front Montrose. "The facade of the existing one-story terra cotta building at the northwest corner of Montrose and Broadway will be restored or replicated to the greatest extent possible given the condition of the terra cotta material," Holsten explained.

With the Wilson Yard controversy behind it, Uptown -- bounded roughly by Irving Park Road, Foster Avenue, Lake Michigan and Clark Street -- still has lots of housing, although today far fewer rentals and many more condos. New research by the Center for Urban Research and Learning at Loyola University shows that Uptown had 512 large apartment buildings in 1989; it lost 219 (43 percent) by 2004.

Luring the new-home buyers, residents say, are the area's lakefront location, shopping, restaurants and good transportation.

"There are a lot of signs of development all over the neighborhood." Uptown resident Holden said. "And, of course, obviously Uptown's location is fantastic. It's five blocks from the lake -- about five minutes by bike."

Another Uptown attraction is its vintage architecture. "We have three landmark districts here," Holden said. "I'm an architecture freak, and we have some beautiful buildings here."

A theater district centered at Broadway, Lawrence and Racine is working toward revival, slowed somewhat by lagging plans for the 4,500-seat Uptown Theater.

The Chicago landmark building, built in 1925, was the crown jewel in the Balaban and Katz theater chain and the focus of the Uptown entertainment district in the '20s. Another historic music hall, the Aragon Ballroom, is still a flourishing live music venue. The Riviera Theatre, a formerly elegant movie palace, now hosts rough and tumble rock acts from all of over the world. Jazz showcase the Green Mill Lounge has reinvented itself Sunday nights with its poetry slams. And Uptown's cultural edge is emerging at the Kinetic Play-ground, the namesake for the legendary '60s club where stars like Jimi Hendrix played.

Nevertheless, Holden said there have been a number of issues over the years regarding public safety. He points to the L stop at Wilson and Broadway, which has been a community eyesore for decades.

Holsten, the Wilson Yard developer, says plans are under way to remove the blight from the L stop. The architecturally significant structure will be completely restored on the outside and completely new on the inside.

"It will be brand, spanking new, so more people will use it," Holsten said. "The more people, the lesser the crime." That project is expected to be completed by early next year. he said.

"I'll believe that when I see it," Holden said. "There have been so many plans over the years for that station and nothing has happened. But if it does happen, that would be great," he said. "But right now, the L stop is very intimidating and is a place where vagrants loiter. It's gotten a little better in recent years, but I still avoid that station," Holden said.

There's so much going on in this neighborhood it's hard to capture it all. Uptown consists of several smaller upscale residential enclaves, including the historic landmark districts. These include the Hutchinson Street District (a city landmark district), the Sheridan Park Historic District (a national landmark district), Buena Park Historic District (a national landmark district), Clarendon Park and Margate Park. Each of these landmark districts has its own homeowners association.

"The fact that we have three historic districts is a big draw," said Joyce Dugan, president and chief executive officer of the Uptown Chicago Commission, an economic development corporation. "People are interested in historic preservation, and we have some very attractive older housing.

"Also," Dugan said, "there has been a huge resurgence of people interested in city life and wanting to live closer to downtown. And, Uptown is only about a half-hour to the Loop or Millennium Park, so people are coming here."

Many students who attend Truman College live in the area. Springing up nearby the college's Wilson Avenue address are cafes, coffee houses and lounges. One harbinger of the changing neighborhood is a Nick's bar, a northern cousin to the popular Lincoln Park watering hole.

Ethnic influences
Uptown is home to people from many parts of the world, and exhibits influences from many cultures. Argyle Street, from Sheridan to Broadway and spilling onto Broadway features an exceptional selection of Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Laotian, French Vietnamese and Cambodian ethnic restaurants and bakeries.
The Clark Street Corridor -- running north from Montrose to Foster avenues on the western edge of Uptown -- also is undergoing a rebirth with new condominiums, retail and restaurants.

"Spilling north from the Graceland West neighborhood into East Ravenswood and West Uptown, growth in the Clark Street Corridor is being sparked by the sale of new upscale condominium developments," said Susie Kanter, sales associate for Rubloff Residential Properties.

Another revitalization catalyst is the completed $24.3-million Phoenix at Uptown Square, a mixed-use condominium and retail developments on Broadway, just south of Lawrence in the heart of Uptown.

The former Goldblatt's department store now hosts 37 lofts and new-construction condominiums, and 41,000 square-feet of retail space, including a Borders Books and Music store at Broadway and Racine.

"Home shoppers looking for everything from affordable condos and rental apartments to posh lofts and Queen Anne mansions can take their pick at the diverse housing stock in the Uptown neighborhood," noted Paul Hardej, president of Metropolitan Development Enterprises, which is developing the ambitious Rainbo Village on the 2-plus-acre site of the former Rainbo roller rink at 4836 N. Clark.

Situated on the border of historic Uptown and Andersonville neighborhoods, Metropolitan's Rainbo Village is a condominium development drawing first-time buyers.

"Soft loft condominiums have been the draw for young, urban buyers at Rainbo Village," Hardej said. "We have diversity here. People from Uptown, Andersonville and Lake View are upgrading from rental to ownership.

Rainbo Village is home to 127 soft loft condominiums, duplexes and town houses as well as 15,000 square feet of retail space. Open, soft-loft floor plans with spacious 10-foot ceilings are the earmark of Rainbo Village's Kinetic Lofts, a collection of 88 loft condominiums in two five-story buildings. Homes will be built around a courtyard garden that features stone pieces from the original Rainbo facade.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:06 PM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed
Landmark building sale irks architect
Gehry decries investors' plans for Inland Steel tower
Advertisement

By Susan Diesenhouse
Tribune staff reporter

May 11, 2007

Nearly two years ago, some investors used the star power of renowned architect Frank Gehry to help them buy the Inland Steel Building with plans to update the landmark structure and preserve its unique character.

Now those investors are trying to sell it -- much to his dismay.

"When you buy a landmark, you have a responsibility," Gehry said Thursday. "It upsets me that these guys are taking the easy way out. To just dump it on the market isn't responsible."

In August 2005 a group of investors that included Harvey Camins paid $44.5 million for the building, and Gehry wound up with roughly a 3 percent stake without putting any money into the deal.

"I'm sorry he feels that way," Camins said. "We bought the building as a real estate investment and because we all love it. But the market is such today that we must explore a sale."

Sale prices have jumped 19 percent in the past 12 months in the downtown office market, and it's tempting for property owners to take advantage of the fabulous run-up in real estate values.

But Gehry got involved in the purchase because the 19-story building at 30 W. Monroe St., finished in 1958, is an historical and architectural landmark and one of his favorites.

He's angry and disappointed that a cherished structure is on the block, its fate uncertain.

"I am not taking advantage of the market. I got into this to save the building," Gehry said. "I don't want to be linked to such opportunism.

"It's one of my favorite buildings, and the only reason it was sold to someone like me was to preserve it," added Gehry, who has become famous for structures that include the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, and the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.

The building is expected to sell for about $55 million and is being marketed by Eastdil Secured.

"We've invested $2 million to upgrade the corridors, bathrooms," said Camins. "We brought the lobby back to its original luster and installed a new security desk. We've been aggressively marketing it, but Chicago is recovering from a very tough market."

In 2005 the building had a 2 percent vacancy rate, but its largest tenant, Mittal Steel, has since moved out and the structure is now 19.3 percent vacant, according to CoStar Group Inc., a real estate research firm.

Despite that problem, the first downtown office designed by Skidmore Owings and Merrill LLP is likely to fetch a handsome price.

The recent rapid appreciation of downtown office property is set to accelerate even more in coming weeks when the Chicago portfolio of the former Equity Office Properties Trust is sold, said Dan Fasulo, research director for New York-based Real Capital Analytics.

"Chicago is on everyone's radar," Fasulo said. "The EOP sale will reset the average sale price higher than it is today."

But for Gehry, who said he might receive about $240,000 from a sale, price isn't the issue.

"It's an important building," Gehry said of the first skyscraper to be built with a steel-and-glass cladding and column-free interior space, and on steel pilings rather than on concrete.

For 50 years, Gehry has admired what was once the headquarters of Inland Steel. In 2005, then-owner St. Paul Travelers Cos. wasn't interested in selling until it learned that Gehry was among the suitors.

"I thought they would update it in the spirit of the design and that I'd help bring it up," Gehry said Thursday of his ownership group.

He said he thought the new owners had a vision of how to market it and rent the space, but "apparently they didn't."

Once the building is sold, Gehry added, "I hope someone sensitive to historic buildings buys it and I'll donate my profits to charity, the Hereditary Disease Foundation."

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:14 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^ I agree with Gehry on this issue 110%, the original developer (like most apparently in present-day Chicago) is clueless when it comes to design, effective design and how relevant and crucial good design is to being able to market, build, sell a building. The original developer that got Gehry involved in this obviously didn't know how to market this building properly and now it's future is far from certain.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:57 AM
Registered

^ Yes, but it's worth noting that the Inland Steel is already a protected City Landmark. I think the idea of "saving the building" is a bit extreme. But I really loved having Gehry's name attached to the building, and I was hoping he'd get to do a little work around there, as he said. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
To pre-empt big-box sidewalk blight, the Target and other retail stores will front Broadway, while the housing will primarily front Montrose. "The facade of the existing one-story terra cotta building at the northwest corner of Montrose and Broadway will be restored or replicated to the greatest extent possible given the condition of the terra cotta material," Holsten explained.
Wow, thanks TUP. That just made my day. This was one of the little buildings that really makes Chicago's neighborhoods what they are. Unfortunately, however, it was far too small and "insignificant" for any preservation group to fight for without being made a laughing-stock. Great news!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:00 AM
TL;DR

FYI, the existing building is called the Azusa Building. Whether that's the original name, I don't know.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:19 AM
The City

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...inCategoryOID=

De LaSalle project to incorporate Pickford Theater

School expansion will incorporate 1912 auditorium at 35th and Michigan

The remains of a historic South Side theater will be given new life with the City Council approval of Mayor Richard M. Daley's ordinance authorizing the sale of city-owned land to De La Salle Institute for the creation of a new academic building and auditorium.

The development plan calls for the property at 3445-59 S. Michigan Ave. and 100-114 E. 35th St. to be combined with the school's existing parking lot for the construction of a four-story, 100,000-square-foot academic building containing classrooms, laboratories, and school offices.

It also preserves the remaining elements of the Pickford Theater by utilizing the shell and surviving interior terra cotta in the construction of a new theater and auditorium. Built in 1912, the Pickford Theater was one of the first movie and performance theaters for Bronzeville entertainers.

"By preserving the remains of this theater, a new generation will have a greater understanding and appreciation of its history and its importance," said Mayor Daley.

The new building will include approximately 7,000 square feet of ground floor retail along 35th Street. Once completed, the project is expected to create 30 permanent full and part-time jobs.

A pedestrian bridge over Michigan will connect the new building with the Clark Building on the existing campus and allow students to safely access both locations without impacting the flow of vehicular traffic.

The building will seek LEED certification and incorporate green design elements into its construction including a green roof on both the building and pedestrian bridge. Construction of the new academic building is expected to cost $19.25 million. The city acquired the property in 2003 through condemnation and is assisting the project with a reduction in the sale price.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:21 PM

^ Cool project

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:35 PM
Registered

Yep. Another victory, even if it is just the facade.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Yep. Another victory, even if it is just the facade.
It said interior terra cotta detailing as well, no?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:24 PM
Registered

Yes, true. I'm not sure what they mean by that, though.

I'm guessing it's mostly going to be a complete interior demo, but I'm not complaining. It sounds like there isn't too much of the interior left in any case.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 5:43 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

This should probably go in the Under 12 floors Chicago boom rundown but I couldn't find it so here is an article regarding the One11 W. illinois.

Here is a link for a larger image:

http://www.newcityskyline.com/One11W...struction.html

One11 W. Illinois offers office space with perks

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
By Kelly Matlock

Chicago, IL, US (NCS)The Alter Group is developing one of downtown Chicago’s first and only vertical subdivision office buildings. Now under construction at 111 West Illinois, the 10-story River North building offers businesses 227,604 square feet of Class A-to-own space for 40 percent the cost of premier skyscrapers.

The building “offers users the unique opportunity to be a single-floor user with expansion options in a Class A product. Other potential users include a boutique hotel with dedicated entrance and lobby, a white-tablecloth restaurant and retail space,” said Matthew A. Ward, senior vice president of the Alter Group.

Also marketed as One11 W. Illinois, the tower was designed by Martin Wolf, FAIA, senior principal at Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates. Wolf is known for hand drawing his architectural designs in an age when the majority of architects rely on computer technology. He has been principal architect behind other Chicago projects including 50 East Chestnut, 340 On the Park and Mandarin Oriental Chicago, as well as residential projects in San Diego and Slovakia and the FBI field office in Maryland.

“Part of what makes architecture so interesting is that each project is a different problem and each problem has a different solution,” Wolf says. “Some people don’t like to think of architecture as art so much as workmanship, but you can really make any piece of architecture, even a high-rise or a power plant, look appealing with the right kind of architecture.”

With 111 West Illinois, Wolf incorporated a number of sustainable and “green” features as well as significant technological capabilities. These include 10 watts/psf of electricity capacity, ample cable and fiber optic capacity, a variable-air volume HVAC system that allows after hours heating and cooling, energy-efficient low-e glass, a high-efficiency air-handling system, telecommunications room that accommodates multiple fiber carriers, dual power grids and an automatic transfer switch to promise an uninterrupted power supply.

Large windows offer panoramic views and welcome in an immense amount of sunlight to heat and light the building, therefore reducing energy costs. Two rooftop decks will provide a dramatic space for corporate events.

The building will be anchored by Erikson Institute, one of the nation’s leading graduate schools dedicated to the education of child development professionals, which will occupy about 75,000 square feet and be served by a separate entrance, with its own address of 451 North LaSalle. The new campus will be double the size of its current campus leased space at 420 North Wabash Avenue, and will accommodate the school’s tremendous growth; student enrollment has doubled in the past five years.

“This incredible new space is the result of an intensive four-and-a-half year study and search to identify the best location to suit Erikson’s unique needs,” said Erikson trustee Virginia Bobins, who helped lead the search process with U.S. Equities Realty.

The new campus will offer additional high-tech classrooms and seminar spaces with high ceilings and natural light. A significant expansion for the Edward Neisser Library and Learning Center will double the holdings space of Erikson’s current library and include a computer training room, an information commons room and group study rooms. The new Herr Research center for Children and Social Policy will enjoy increased space. Additional space will be dedicated for specialized clinical activities, and more amenities for students and staff will include kitchen and lounge areas, student lockers and teaming rooms.

Erikson Institute can attest to the major tax advantages that 111 West Illinois offers, with long-term appreciation and stable occupancy costs.

“A key factor in the decision to purchase rather than lease space was the tax-exempt financing and future real estate tax exemption Erikson will receive from owning,” said Geoff Euston, senior vice president of U.S. Equities Realty. “These economic incentives afforded Erikson the ability to purchase almost double the amount of space it currently leases and at a much lower cost than leasing comparable space.”

Completion is expected in early 2008, and Erikson faculty, staff and students plan to move in just before fall semester in August 2008.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 7:21 PM
Marina City

On the south side of the Chicago River just east of Wabash, there is a barge with some heavy equipment and some maroon painted beams or something. I was wondering if anyone knew what might be going on. I am hoping it has something to do with the platform that make up the river walk.
Also, there are some men and a truck at the site for the Witt Hotel. So, at least there is some activity there.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:34 AM

http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...0511/urbanlab/

Close Deep Tunnel

Sarah Dunn and Martin Felsen and a model of their proposed water treatment and recycling system

A. Jackson
World Water Crisis Forum
When Thu 5/17, 7 PM
Where DePaul University Museum, 2350 N. Kenmore
Info 773-325-7506 or museums.depaul.edu

The architects at Bridgeport’s UrbanLab have a better plan.
By Harold Henderson
May 11, 2007

IF CHICAGO CONTINUES to think big when it comes to water, there may be hope for us as the fresh stuff starts to run out. As every schoolchild knows, in 1900 the city reversed the flow of the Chicago River to re­direct pollution away from Lake Michigan. Now, after several decades of labor, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District is finishing up the Deep Tunnel project, the underground network of tunnels where combined sewage and storm water overflows are stored before treatment. Both works were designed to keep Chicagoans’ waste out of their drinking water, and both are world-class engineering feats.

Sarah Dunn and Martin Felsen of the Bridgeport architectural firm UrbanLab have an idea that might outdo both. They envision a self-contained system that would take water from Lake Michigan, use it, and then run it through a natural treatment system dispersed throughout the city before returning it to its source. We could turn the Chicago River back around and use the Deep Tunnel for new subway lines. This closed-loop water system could set an example of water reuse to the world, as increased demand makes water ever scarcer. Unmake no little plans?

The idea came about in one frenzied week last November, when Dunn, Felsen, and a handful of others worked 16-hour days and pulled a couple of all-nighters at UrbanLab to prepare for a contest sponsored by the History Channel to promote its Engineering an Empire series. The channel gave select architects in Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles seven days to come up with a design for their city 100 years from now, something that “like the marvels of past civilizations, would have the staying power to endure for centuries to come.”

UrbanLab’s proposal won the Chicago round and went on to beat the New York and LA winners for the $10,000 top prize. The model they built will go on display at the Museum of Science and Industry June 8, along with the other finalists and the other Chicago entries. Growing Water: Chicago in 2106, their 67-page book illustrating their project, is available from lulu.com.

Dunn and Felsen propose that the city switch over to a decentralized all-natural water treatment and recycling system that would double the city’s parkland. A series of 50 “eco-boulevards” spaced every half mile from Rogers Park to Roseland would run east-west from Lake Michigan to the subcontinental divide between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins at about Harlem Avenue—thin green ribbons running across the city that would replace pavement with green space, greenhouses, and wetland for the treatment of waste and storm water.

Each eco-boulevard would jut out into Lake Michigan and end in a man-made peninsula to accommodate solar arrays, wind turbines, and geothermal wells to power the treatment processes. “Terminal Parks” would mark the eco-boulevard’s western extremes. These large green spaces would be surrounded by residential and work complexes to accommodate returnees from the outer suburbs, who by 2106 will have moved back closer to town to obtain running water.

That’s right: Felsen and Dunn are among those who see a future in which freshwater is “the new oil” and the Great Lakes region—already the third-largest economy in the world—could be the new Saudi Arabia; the Great Lakes contain 20 percent of the earth’s freshwater. As water becomes an expensive commodity, sprawl may become unaffordable, if not illegal: suburban households west of the Great Lakes drainage basin will have to sink deeper and deeper wells to reach groundwater as it’s depleted. An early warning comes from Campton Township, just northwest of Saint Charles in Kane County, which in 2004 initiated an unusually thorough study of its groundwater resources by the U.S. Geological Survey. The USGS found that two deep aquifers in the northern part of the township are being used faster than they replenish.

Under UrbanLab’s plan, eco-boulevards would ultimately replace the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District’s seven centralized water treatment plants with natural processes involving various bacteria, small organisms, and wetland plants—“living machine” systems in the phrase trademarked by Living Designs Group, a firm in Taos, New Mexico, that focuses on “ecologically engineered natural wastewater treatment and reclamation systems.” Wastewater from a few blocks along, say, Cermak Road would be piped to a series of greenhouses along a nearby eco-boulevard. Inside it would pass through vats of microbes and other organisms that break down waste, much as is done on a larger scale in the MWRD plants. Storm water would be collected separately from wastewater (something cities like Atlanta and Minneapolis have already managed to pull off) and then filtered and cleaned aboveground in small or intermittent streams and wetlands along the eco-boulevard. Ideally, gray water—used water not containing human waste—would be dealt with separately too, but that’s not part of UrbanLab’s design at this point. It’s a vision, not a blueprint, that would take different forms in different neighborhoods.

How would all this happen? Gradually. Eco-boulevards wouldn’t require spending billions all at once, evolving instead over generations. The process might start with something as simple as the city offering incentives for how south-side brownfields are redeveloped: just as developers can add “bonus” floors to a building if it has a green roof, they might get a similar bonus for separating rainwater and wastewater and routing them to a nearby eco-boulevard installation.

Such a project would require a certain fixity of purpose not often displayed by political bodies. But Dunn and Felsen think that just as parks raised land values and attracted developers in the 19th century, the prospect of green parkland within a quarter mile of every property in Chicago might be sufficient incentive to keep things moving. And what better occasion to jump-start their proposal than the 2016 Olympics, where a housing complex that cleaned its own used water and returned it to Lake Michigan might show the world a thing or two?

On May 17 at the DePaul University Museum, Dunn and Felsen will have eight minutes to sketch their scheme as part of a panel discussion on the “world water crisis” sponsored by Global Green USA, an affiliate of Mikhail Gorbachev’s Green Cross. Joining the discussion will be Debra Shore, commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District; Thomas Murphy, former head of DePaul’s Environmental Science Program; and Joe Deal, assistant to Mayor Daley for water initiatives. Things could get interesting, since Green Cross steadfastly opposes the commodification of water, and UrbanLab’s proposal assumes that water will soon become not just a commodity, but a very expensive one.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:40 AM

Lubavitch Center for Jewish Life.

This project is under construction at the South-West corner of Clark and Chestnut.

There seems to be an unfortunate discrepency between the renderings shown on the Center's website and the sign at the construction site.

The building seems to have transformed itself from a mini Guggenheim to Double-Wide trailer.

Website http://www.centerforjewishlife.com/

Construction Sign

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33 View Post
I don't remember seeing those projecting sunscreens on the early renders of the Erickson Institute. I like this building. It reminds me of two of my favorites:

This is one of my favorite buildings, built in the mid 1970's, in Madison, Wisconsin when I lived there:

The projecting empty frame edge on the front is cool . Helmut Jahn got a lot of accolades for doing this same thing many years later in his Kranzler Eck building on the Ku'damm in Berlin:

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...0511/urbanlab/

Close Deep Tunnel

Sarah Dunn and Martin Felsen and a model of their proposed water treatment and recycling system

A. Jackson
World Water Crisis Forum
When Thu 5/17, 7 PM
Where DePaul University Museum, 2350 N. Kenmore
Info 773-325-7506 or museums.depaul.edu

The architects at Bridgeport’s UrbanLab have a better plan.
By Harold Henderson
May 11, 2007

o e.
A neat idea that won an award. But...

I just skimmed this article but does it mention any use for the current, almost finished, multi billion dollar Deep Tunnel project? Hopefully more that an expensive wine cellar or mushroom farm.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Lubavitch Center for Jewish Life.

This project is under construction at the South-West corner of Clark and Chestnut.

There seems to be an unfortunate discrepency between the renderings shown on the Center's website and the sign at the construction site.

The building seems to have transformed itself from a mini Guggenheim to Double-Wide trailer.

Website http://www.centerforjewishlife.com/

Construction Sign
I haven't seen any progress on the site in probably 9 months, I wonder if they ran out of money...the design changes also suggest some value engineering.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:34 AM
Registered

Loopy, yeah, Jahn was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Erikson. Halo, a little closer to home, was the one I thought of...

Do you know the architect of the Madison building? It's quite nice. Please PM me if you like, since this is straying off topic.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
A neat idea that won an award. But...

I just skimmed this article but does it mention any use for the current, almost finished, multi billion dollar Deep Tunnel project? Hopefully more that an expensive wine cellar or mushroom farm.

Subways. Of course, any subways in the Deep Tunnels would follow approximately the same paths as the Blue Line (O'Hare Branch) and the Orange Line, so right now, we have no need for subways here. But once 10 million people move into the city to get water, we just might need them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development