HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 10:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If Chicago had San Diego’s weather, it wouldn’t be a bargain anymore
I don't about that. Some of the most expensive cities have shitty climates. New York, Boston, London, Oslo, Toronto, etc.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I'm in Phoenix suburbs, and while I'm not worried for myself as I bought in 2014 while Phoenix was still recovering from the last crash, we have seen some pretty big drops from the ~June 2022 peak. My Zestimate (which is pretty close to accurate based on my tracking of actual sales in the surrounding area) has gone down 15% since June 2022. But also the prices in June 2022 were insane, some 50-year old modest houses near me went for over $500k. Even a 15% drop from there only brings us back to Dec. 2021 levels, and those prices still make little sense to me. The declines have tapered off in the last month or so, but we'll see moving forward.
Understood, but a 15% drop is a lot for people who bought earlier in the year.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:39 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
I'm in Phoenix suburbs, and while I'm not worried for myself as I bought in 2014 while Phoenix was still recovering from the last crash, we have seen some pretty big drops from the ~June 2022 peak. My Zestimate (which is pretty close to accurate based on my tracking of actual sales in the surrounding area) has gone down 15% since June 2022. But also the prices in June 2022 were insane, some 50-year old modest houses near me went for over $500k. Even a 15% drop from there only brings us back to Dec. 2021 levels, and those prices still make little sense to me. The declines have tapered off in the last month or so, but we'll see moving forward.
Flagstaff has always been expensive relative to the rest of Arizona, but probably cheap for the California transplants relative to SoCal and the Bay Area.

Housing prices have dropped somewhat, but a) they were absolutely insane during the pandemic (seems like a lot of remote workers moved here?) and b) housing is still unattainable for most here.

I still can't believe what houses are going for in the Valley, though.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I don't about that. Some of the most expensive cities have shitty climates. New York, Boston, London, Oslo, Toronto, etc.
You’ll note I never said it worked both ways.

No First World territory with a great climate (SoCal, French Riviera, parts of Australia, etc.) is ever inexpensive, real estate wise.

The reverse isn’t automatic: crappy climate doesn’t guarantee affordability.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Flagstaff has always been expensive relative to the rest of Arizona, but probably cheap for the California transplants relative to SoCal and the Bay Area.

Housing prices have dropped somewhat, but a) they were absolutely insane during the pandemic (seems like a lot of remote workers moved here?) and b) housing is still unattainable for most here.

I still can't believe what houses are going for in the Valley, though.
How is housing in Prescott? I was there not too long ago. Very nice city in mountainous terrain. There was snow in the surrounding mountains when I was there.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You’ll note I never said it worked both ways.

No First World territory with a great climate (SoCal, French Riviera, parts of Australia, etc.) is ever inexpensive, real estate wise.
Italy? Portugal? I can name a bunch of places here in the U.S. that I'd call cheap, including most of Florida, but would depend on your definition of "great climate".

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
How is housing in Prescott? I was there not too long ago. Very nice city in mountainous terrain. There was snow in the surrounding mountains when I was there.
I agree, Prescott, especially Prescott proper, is a nice city. I don't follow housing prices there as closely as the Phoenix area, but my sense is that prices are even more out of whack there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 6:36 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, Prescott, especially Prescott proper, is a nice city. I don't follow housing prices there as closely as the Phoenix area, but my sense is that prices are even more out of whack there.
They are. Low supply, high demand. High Country prices are absurdly high.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:33 PM

270,000 homebuyers who bought in 2022 are underwater on their mortgage

270K is not a lot, but how worse will it get....

https://www.yahoo.com/money/homebuye...203707947.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 10:34 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Italy? Portugal? I can name a bunch of places here in the U.S. that I'd call cheap, including most of Florida, but would depend on your definition of "great climate".
Texas. People zero in on Houston's swamp ass summers but the climate is pretty decent 8 months out of the year. Same for Austin (which is $$$$ now), SATX and DFW. El Paso too.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:51 PM
E pluribus unum

El Paso can get pretty cold in the winter time, if not outright freezing, because of its altitude.

At least the summers are relatively dry, especially compared to central and east Texas.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
El Paso can get pretty cold in the winter time, if not outright freezing, because of its altitude.

At least the summers are relatively dry, especially compared to central and east Texas.
Fortunately for El Paso, it's usually sunny even when cold. Sometimes in central and east Texas it can be gray and dismal when cold. Not always, of course. One year can be totally different from another. We were cold and gray for several weeks in Austin, but now it is so warm, even at night, that the A/C's are coming back on.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Texas. People zero in on Houston's swamp ass summers but the climate is pretty decent 8 months out of the year. Same for Austin (which is $$$$ now), SATX and DFW. El Paso too.
Yeah. Also, historically, cold cities have been more expensive than warm weather places. It's only within the last 20-30 years that this has dramatically changed in the United States. Globally, that pattern mostly still holds, with a few exceptions.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Florida isn't cheap anymore:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:35 AM
Meh

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...early-4-years/
Quote:
Austin area median home prices stay flat for first time in nearly 4 years

by: Kelsey Thompson
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 / 05:25 PM CST
Updated: Dec 15, 2022 / 06:48 PM CST

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Median home prices within the Austin-Round Rock MSA have remained flat for the first time in nearly four years, according to a new report from the Austin Board of Realtors Thursday.

The November Central Texas Housing Market Report reflected a 0% year-over-year increase in median home values.

This marks the first time since spring 2020 there haven’t been any records broken for either home sales or median home prices in both the MSA and the city of Austin, the report added.

Home sales decreased nearly 37% last month, with 2,026 closed listings. For context, that marks the largest percent decline in home sales since May 2020, when COVID-19-related economic concerns corresponded to a 29.2% decline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:35 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Fortunately for El Paso, it's usually sunny even when cold. Sometimes in central and east Texas it can be gray and dismal when cold. Not always, of course. One year can be totally different from another. We were cold and gray for several weeks in Austin, but now it is so warm, even at night, that the A/C's are coming back on.
That's how I'm able to withstand Flagstaff winters. Its been especially cold this season, but its currently sunny and 24F. Overnight lows have been in the single digits, and aside from snow on Monday and Tuesday, its been sunny most of this week.

Contrast with Cincinnati, which had warmer temperatures than Flagstaff when I was there the past weekend, but I don't think I saw the sun much until after my plane back to Arizona got above the clouds during takeoff.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sign of incoming decline.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 11:40 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
And yet, there is talk of 4 supertalls in Austin's future, all that will include large residential components. I don't consider it a decline with prices starting to cool. Most people here have assumed they too high anyway and properties were overvalued (they are). People are still moving here like mad, so there won't be a slow down in new construction. The main thing is that prices could be more reasonable, and I don't have a problem with that.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 12:40 AM
Great White Norf

Yes, the dramatic drop from February 2022 has occurred, and now it's dropping slower before eventually leveling off.
Prices in Canadian dollars ($825k = ~$600k USD, 680k =~$495k USD)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Much needed frankly.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions