HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:42 PM

It even has the grocery store everyone wants

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 7:34 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Given the nature of this forum there is more pickiness here than you would see among the general public!

But generally speaking I think the reviews are very positive. I've certainly seen far worse. That doesn't mean people aren't going to pick a few nits here and there, though.
for sure. Criticism is totally welcome. It's a good way to learn.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 7:35 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Something like this proposal in Montreal (IMO) would be perfect for the other side of Donald & St Mary. Montreal is building and proposing some great 4 to 8 storey buildings right now....I get that this proposal looks like 10 storeys but you could cut off the top 2 floors and it would still look good.

I am not sure why we don't see many/any of the quality 4-8 storey proposals in our downtown.

this is exactly what I would love to see in our downtown. I know skyscrapers are popular, but to me this scale building makes really good urban areas.

the proposal verne reimer did on that site a few years ago was awesome.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Something like this proposal in Montreal (IMO) would be perfect for the other side of Donald & St Mary. Montreal is building and proposing some great 4 to 8 storey buildings right now....I get that this proposal looks like 10 storeys but you could cut off the top 2 floors and it would still look good.

I am not sure why we don't see many/any of the quality 4-8 storey proposals in our downtown.

That would be perfect to replace the Edmonton to Vaughn section of Portage Place.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:

It is baffling why we do not have any of these types of buildings throughout downtown.

Things seriously need to change here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
It is baffling why we do not have any of these types of buildings throughout downtown.

Is Waterfront Dr not apart of Downtown?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:24 AM

Good point basketball geek , lots of people forget about Waterfront Drive when talking about downtown . Those would also be very good at Railside at the Forks, even South Main on old Earls side would look good with that type of development.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 5:54 AM

Good addition to the DT.

The building appears to sit on a 30,000ft2 site with a 15,000ft2 foot print. Some renderings of the 100 car garage adjacent to the structure warrants a discussion?

How do they tie in together?

Materials and massing?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Is Waterfront Dr not apart of Downtown?
You do know how big downtown is right?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Good point basketball geek , lots of people forget about Waterfront Drive when talking about downtown . Those would also be very good at Railside at the Forks, even South Main on old Earls side would look good with that type of development.
Definitely looking forward to Railside, total game changer for downtown. Now, about it actually starting to take shape....let's get 'er done.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:20 PM

The Donald and St. Mary building is bigger than I envisioned. Looks great!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:

A few of those might warrant a couple of mid sized grocery stores as well.

Most builds lately that are low - mid rises are made of recycled sawdust & formaldehyde & firetraps.
A concrete structure costs more, looks better & is less chance of serous fires.
Seniors, children, immobile persons are more at risk for a quick exit of needed.
Often cost is what the developer is considering but the cost is still high.
The condo prices are a bit less but personally, I want to live in a concrete structure.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:04 PM
the first stamp is free

^ those buildings you speak of are really only fire traps while they are under construction.

Once the finishes are in they meet the same requirements for the necessary fire resistance ratings, exiting, etc. as any concrete or steel or brick or stick or straw building.

Last edited by drew; Jun 8, 2022 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:06 PM

Honestly, Winnipeg just seems to be lagging behind every major city in the country.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:27 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before, but I was just at the Mayor's state of the City address and he announced a $50m fund for affordable housing downtown. They hope for this to create approx 1,500 new units downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:35 PM

^ Good to hear. New builds, or subsidizing existing market rate units? The former, I hope.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Honestly, Winnipeg just seems to be lagging behind every major city in the country.
Well no kidding man, not like we aren’t at the bottom of all major cities in terms of population and tax base. Obviously as one of the last in line in terms of growth and having no one single major standout economic driver, everything happens here behind everywhere else. It has virtually always been this way except at the turn of the 20th century.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before, but I was just at the Mayor's state of the City address and he announced a $50m fund for affordable housing downtown. They hope for this to create approx 1,500 new units downtown.
Good news. The only way that works however is if it isn't all in one place. Those funds should be delegated into builds such as TV's project at Colony and Broadway. 185 Smith perfectly demonstrates how that model is outdated, does not work, and should remain in the past. And there are many others like 185 still in operation. The result is rarely, if ever, good.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 5:33 AM

Quote:

This proposal looks awesome, like the set backs on diff floors, this would look great all over downtown, better than all these empty lots

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Good news. The only way that works however is if it isn't all in one place. Those funds should be delegated into builds such as TV's project at Colony and Broadway. 185 Smith perfectly demonstrates how that model is outdated, does not work, and should remain in the past. And there are many others like 185 still in operation. The result is rarely, if ever, good.
I'm pretty sure the term "affordable housing" means something like rents 20% to 25% below "market value" for the equivalent unit in the same general area. We aren't talking about Manitoba housing here, we're talking about more-or-less regular apartments with slightly-below market rents which I'd wager is still higher than what the provincial government is willing to pay to house low income persons.

CMHC says average rent in downtown Winnipeg was $1,025 for a 1-bedroom and $1,345 for a 2-bedroom. So knock 25% off those rates and that is likely what the "affordable units" will be marketed as and what the developers/builders will budget for. This market segment isn't necessarily intended for people on social support programs, it's likely intended for low to middle income working people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan