HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 6:31 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Why not? I'd hope to avoid mega developments. But why shouldn't the Damen Green equal the Addison Red?
No I totally agree. The West Side could definitely use a nightlife node, as it currently lacks one, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I would love for that neighborhood to turn into it's own district but theres no way the neigbors would ever let that happen.
What neighbors? Start with the lots immediately adjacent to the UC. Those lots are surrounded by other lots. To the south there is Malcom X College and some project housing. There is derelict housing to the west and some retail to the east. Maybe the condo/apartments north of Warren/Washington might put up a fight, but there really isn't that many of them yet to really make the alderman give too much notice to them. And honestly, if it brings retail to the neighborhood, I could see a lot of those neighbors be in support of any development to their south.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 12:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We rarely do underground parking like DC does.
And an unofficial height limit sure isn't going to incentivize developers to foot the the bill for that, either.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 3:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Height limits suck. I live in DC. I’m so tired of uniform height block after block after block. The land is so valuable that every developer builds up to the height allowed along that street. With the land becoming increasingly valuable in the West Loop, I suspect any attempt to cap it at a particular height will lead to too much height uniformity there as well.
I disagree. Although I love high rises, I really liked DC’s built environment during the years I lived there. What a neat city

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I disagree. Although I love high rises, I really liked DC’s built environment during the years I lived there. What a neat city
I agree. And lot's of green space too (not just the mall)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I would love for that neighborhood to turn into it's own district but theres no way the neigbors would ever let that happen.
I'm utterly confused, who are these "neighbors" you speak of? The sea of surface lots? the city college?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Why not? I'd hope to avoid mega developments. But why shouldn't the Damen Green equal the Addison Red?
Damen and Lake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I'm utterly confused, who are these "neighbors" you speak of? The sea of surface lots? the city college?
There is already a fair amount of high density housing there

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 8:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Height limits suck. I live in DC. I’m so tired of uniform height block after block after block. The land is so valuable that every developer builds up to the height allowed along that street. With the land becoming increasingly valuable in the West Loop, I suspect any attempt to cap it at a particular height will lead to too much height uniformity there as well.
Do you feel the same way about Paris or Berlin? Uniformity of height isn’t a bad thing if buildings share a tasteful architectural language.

There’s no shortage of land in the West Loop to develop, that’s why we’re seeing so many proposals. It’ll be a long time before development pressures “force” developers to build tall. Related is just trying to grab valuable skyline views so they can charge higher-than-market rents.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 1:15 AM

And why not? That's the bonus of having the Kennedy in the front yard. To be above it and have the view. The heights will drop off sharply to the west. But there should be a tower or two at each cta station.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 12:54 AM
THAT Guy

"Updated plans"

Community Meeting Notice for Proposed Development located at 900 West Randolph/170 North Peoria.

TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2018 6:00 PM @ Haymarket Pub & Brewery

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:18 PM

Building height reduced from 51 to 43 stories (570 ft to 495 ft)

• Proposal includes funding for new public space along Randolph Street, consistent with the concepts proposed in the West Loop Design Guidelines (see image from the Guidelines)

FYI, 495' is the same height as 727 W. Madison.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:22 PM

Not surprised, 495 ft is still a really good compromise this far west.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Community Meeting Notice for Proposed Development located at 900 West Randolph/170 North Peoria.

TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2018 6:00 PM @ Haymarket Pub & Brewery
are you going?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:32 PM
1st Ward

I'm surprised it was nerfed by only 75 feet.

That said, would've been nice if this was over 500 feet, lol.

Hopefully the community meeting doesn't cause the developers to shorten the height of this building further.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:38 AM

For anyone interested. There are pictures up on the neighbors of West loop Facebook page. Here

The most interesting part is it looks like they want to put Randolph on a road diet to increase room for pedestrians

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:53 AM
1st Ward

• The building height would be reduced by 15% to 43 stories (495 ft), with the floor plate increased to maintain the square footage.

Ugh, I thought this city learned. Tall and skinny > short and fat. It allows for more sunlight and more attractive buildings. I mean, if we are keeping the square footage the exact same (and thus, the number of units and number of new residents to the neighborhood with the same amount of increased traffic and whatever else these dregs of society complain about), what exactly is the point of shortening the building? How does this benefit the local neighborhood NIMBYs/Alderbeast exactly?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:59 AM

Making it thinner and keeping its current hight would be better than shortening it at this point.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:01 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
• The building height would be reduced by 15% to 43 stories (495 ft), with the floor plate increased to maintain the square footage.

Ugh, I thought this city learned. Tall and skinny > short and fat. It allows for more sunlight and more attractive buildings. I mean, if we are keeping the square footage the exact same (and thus, the number of units and number of new residents to the neighborhood with the same amount of increased traffic and whatever else these dregs of society complain about), what exactly is the point of shortening the building? How does this benefit the local neighborhood NIMBYs/Alderbeast exactly?
Because NIMBYs are buttheads.

Anyhow, I’m a fan of canyons so it’s all good. Look at the Loop—all canyons, and it’s a hoot! Dandy place to spend an afternoon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:30 AM

The overall tower was widened by four feet to accommodate for the height reduction.

The number of units and the FAR are unchanged.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:59 AM

Im being picky but the shortening is a bummer. I can only imagine more complaints are on their way. I really like this one. Hope it doesn't get butchered.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:13 AM
TL;DR

The renderings of the road diet on Randolph appear to show the first block of Randolph, between the Kennedy and Halsted (in front of Related's other proposal). That block was always weird because the service drives are difficult to access... the westbound drive conflicts with the Kennedy exit ramp, and the eastbound ramp loops around to dump people on Court Place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction