HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There's no guarantee Bentham will get built. I don't think they even have financing yet. I mean, I hope it does, but it's still very much just a proposal at this point.
Right, they still haven't knocked down the old body shop. At this point I assume they'd want to clear the building to lower their tax burden, more than anything?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Talking to a taxi driver the other day, he said there are about 4 times as many Uber/Lyft drivers as taxis in the city at rush hour. I don't doubt that. he also said they're largely responsible for the exceedingly bad traffic in the central area at rush hour over the past few years and, again, it hadn't really occurred to me, but I had *definitely* noticed traffic being much, much worse lately and I think he's correct that Uber/Lyft have a lot of the blame for that.

There must be some way to manage that. I mean, I think the idea that the City will protect medallion owners is past the point of no return, but there's got to be *something* that can be done to tamp down the cause of traffic. It used to take me 10-15 minutes in a cab at rush hour from basically Ogilvie to Lasalle/Chicago, now it takes 20-25 minutes anytime before 6pm most days if I take a cab. It's gotten absurd. I walk, or take a bike at least half of the time, and take the CTA some, too, but I take taxis or Uber/Lyft enough to know that traffic has gotten much worse since Uber/Lyft really caught on. If it wasn't for the fact that CTA buses get really slowed down, too, I guess I wouldn't care that much - if drivers want to sit in traffic, let them, but I feel bad for the bus riders.

This is absolutely correct. Uber and Lyft are indeed making congestion worse - I have also increasingly over the last year or two. There is no doubt about that. It's particularly troubling as some transit riders are substituting for Uber.....that's not a good story for our collective urbanity......there's no spinning this.........this is just one of the reasons why I stick to transit primarily and taxis secondarily, and almost never take Uber/Lyft, avoiding it wherever feasible....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I don't buy for a second that traffic downtown is significantly worse than it has been historically. Sure it's worse than it was in 2010, but I doubt it is worse than 2006.
As someone who's lived in LSE since 2005 and in the South Loop between 1999 and 2003, I can assure you that traffic is significantly worse today than back then. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:39 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yep. I also agree with you that Uber drivers are typically really bad, and have no idea where they're going.....much, much worse on average than taxi drivers...........this definitely contributes to the added congestion, and they consistently park/wait illegally, right at bus stops and everywhere else they shouldn't, further increasing congestion....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:48 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...development-by

June 24, 2017
Massive new development plans on tap for Lakeshore East

By Alby Gallun

Not sure how I feel about the orientation/placement of the eastern towers here.......what I do hope, however, is that Magellan and Lendlease (excited that Lendlease is on board for this final phase) bring in some different design firms for these towers. I certainly like bKL and Studio Gang, but maybe bring in Perkins and Will for one or two of the towers.....throw SOM a tower, etc, etc...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I don't buy for a second that traffic downtown is significantly worse than it has been historically. Sure it's worse than it was in 2010, but I doubt it is worse than 2006. Certain areas are obviously much worse, but that's only because there are actually people there now. Lake and Morgan is probably more congested now than ever before, but that's simply a function of a sudden transition from sleepy light manufacturing district to mixed residential, nightlife, and office district, not "because Uber". Same goes for any general increase in congestion, there have been tens of thousands of housing units added in the last decade and the economy has gone from crash of historic proportions to the longest growth streak since WWII. Ya think there might be a handful more cars downtown than 2008 or 2009?
It is absolutely worse. I've lived in the Central Area for 17 of the 19 years since I moved to Chicago last. It's worse.

One of the factors is that there are no long rush hour traffic cops. When I first moved here, I used to love watching traffic cops direct traffic at rush hour. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop directing traffic that wasn't for a special event. Drivers creep into the intersection, creating gridlock, with complete impunity these days. That did NOT used to happen on a regular basis. Occasionally, sure, but not every. single. day.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:15 PM

[post deleted, wrong thread]

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Good article. What's interesting is what Related says about the fact that there's not many more develop-able sites in Chicago. Obviously not true, but in their realm maybe given what they want to construct. I'm sure in a few years they'd probably change that statement due to the development of areas like West Loop.

That quote jumped out at me as well. Demonstrably wrong. You will find similar quotes by developers/investors for each of the past half-dozen - or more - cycles in Chicago. These clowns were obviously wrong then, and they're still wrong this cycle....and they'll be wrong next cycle, as well as the cycle after that when they claim it......talk to me in 4 or 5 cycles.....then let's have that conversation......until then, these guys (they're guys, not gals) are kidding themselves, and those gullible enough to buy in....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't want to be "that guy", but articles like this always come out right before bubbles burst.

Having said that, the boom in central Chicago is real because of true systemic demographic changes that I believe are here to stay. Despite the 2008 recession, for example, the focus of growth and investment continued to be within the city. There is definitely something real and long lasting going on.

Now unlike some who have this dark pleasure in seeing the suburbs decline, I don't predict that the suburbs will ever die (far from it, in fact). But they will no longer be the shining star of American metros, nor should they be.

I'll happily be that guy! In all seriousness, 'good on ya, mate' for this article getting your 'spidey senses' tingling in that special way.....that's an appropriate, intelligent reaction. Let's put it this way - we're definitely nearer to the end of this cycle then to the beginning. Now - it's a long cycle (obviously).....so we could have up to another 3-4 years to go..........not sure that it will be that long (2-3 is much more likely in my view - with a chance of less than 2)......but it's at least possible....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I don't buy for a second that traffic downtown is significantly worse than it has been historically. Sure it's worse than it was in 2010, but I doubt it is worse than 2006. Certain areas are obviously much worse, but that's only because there are actually people there now. Lake and Morgan is probably more congested now than ever before, but that's simply a function of a sudden transition from sleepy light manufacturing district to mixed residential, nightlife, and office district, not "because Uber". Same goes for any general increase in congestion, there have been tens of thousands of housing units added in the last decade and the economy has gone from crash of historic proportions to the longest growth streak since WWII. Ya think there might be a handful more cars downtown than 2008 or 2009?
Traffic absolutely is 100% positively worse than it is in 2006

In adition to the significant downtown population increase, tourism increase, it is probably not helping you have idiot uber drivers everywhere not knowing the proper places to stop and jamming up traffic constantly

I mean seriously stand at a bus stop on Lasalle for 5 minutes and count the number of moron uber drivers stopping at bus stops

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 PM

people come from wisconsin and indiana to drive here. They literally don't know where they're going

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
That quote jumped out at me as well. Demonstrably wrong. You will find similar quotes by developers/investors for each of the past half-dozen - or more - cycles in Chicago. These clowns were obviously wrong then, and they're still wrong this cycle....and they'll be wrong next cycle, as well as the cycle after that when they claim it......talk to me in 4 or 5 cycles.....then let's have that conversation......until then, these guys (they're guys, not gals) are kidding themselves, and those gullible enough to buy in....
In context they were talking about sites the size of the south loop parcel they're involved in, 10s of acres. Not that I actually agree with that claim either.

There are obviously loads of good, though smaller, sites left itching for reuse even in the best neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:14 PM
You had me at herro...

I would definitely agree that yes - uber and lyft drivers have made traffic worse. I take them all the time, and when I chat with the drivers they all casually talk about how busy or totally not busy it is that day, that they're just driving around the city waiting for people to take. I know a few people that drive for uber and they have mentioned they're floored at how many uber drivers you see in the city all the time. Obviously there are a LOT of cars driving around out there for no reason other than waiting around for someone to ping them.

When I was in LA we almost missed our flight and also had a really hard time getting picked up by my husbands aunt because she was stuck for over an hour just trying to get into LAX. She said there had been news stories on it and they're working on what to do, but it was all because these uber and lyft drivers circle around the airport and try to park everywhere by the dozens and sometimes hundreds waiting around to see about rides.

I have to keep telling myself that if I'm going to take Uber I have to have a lot more patience. They never know where they're going - at all. They drive terrible because they're trying to stare at their GPS and then make sudden and inappropriate moves/turns. Many times they use apps that send them on really bizarre directions. I was coming from O'Hare to my house on Addison and the person wanted to go to Fullerton and then loop around and come back up on Ashland at rush hour. I had to keep telling them GET OFF AT ADDISON. My friend came from the airport as well and it wanted the driver to drive down to like North Ave!!

Some app also keeps telling Uber drives to pick me up in my alley, so I say to go to 35xx Fremont street, and then they are back getting stuck in my alley and snaking around on one way streets all confused, going against traffic, going way out of the way back up to Waveland for sometimes up to five+ minutes while I try to call them and say "put the GPS down and just look out your window. Find Fremont Street in front of you. Turn down it as that's the street you're going. Now look at those numbers on the house and see how they go down and see how it matches up with mine?".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:15 PM

Just to reiterate, Uber/Lyft drivers frequently have ZERO idea where things are, and just can't fucking figure out that no, please do not go to my alley. Google maps is sending you to my alley. Please don't.

Also, trying to get one near the river sucks. Upper/lower WackerMichiganColumbusHubbardWasbash is not obvious to someone who is not from Chicago. LSE must be hell on them. MULTIPLE LEVELS!!!. ACCESS ROADS! ARGGGHHH...

Speaking of LSE, who here has seen the new stuff? I know you are here. Give us poor slobs a hint. What do the new buildings look like? Do you like them? Have they done a good job in placing the buildings? July 10 is a long time from now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I would definitely agree that yes - uber and lyft drivers have made traffic worse. I take them all the time, and when I chat with the drivers they all casually talk about how busy or totally not busy it is that day, that they're just driving around the city waiting for people to take. I know a few people that drive for uber and they have mentioned they're floored at how many uber drivers you see in the city all the time. Obviously there are a LOT of cars driving around out there for no reason other than waiting around for someone to ping them.

When I was in LA we almost missed our flight and also had a really hard time getting picked up by my husbands aunt because she was stuck for over an hour just trying to get into LAX. She said there had been news stories on it and they're working on what to do, but it was all because these uber and lyft drivers circle around the airport and try to park everywhere by the dozens and sometimes hundreds waiting around to see about rides.
LAX is supposed to have a ride share lot IIRC and disallow circling. Don't know if they just aren't enforcing it or what. In dozens of ride share trips from ORD not once have I had a car not come from the holding lot. Though I don't think Uber/Lyft would like to test the city's patience here.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:15 AM

Aloft Chicago - Mag Mile - 237 E Ontario

June 23

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:22 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
and drive more aggressive - worth it.
THIS.

I have actually given 3-star reviews and written scathing reviews of Uber or Lyft drivers who drive too slowly or too conservatively.

One in particular nearly made me miss a weekend Metra train at Ogilvey AND I told him to drop me at the Washington entrance because of how we were approaching the station and he still nearly turned onto Clinton to go the the Madison side, even after acknowledging I said to drop me on the Washington side. He would have turned, too, except I YELLED at him because, dammit, I'm not going to miss a train when the next one isn't for two hours just because some arrogant driver is being an idiot. His only response was, "Well, most people want to go to Madison." I wrote him a scathing review. Odd thing was he had a 4.9 rating.

Another guy was literally watching his phone map more than the road and I yelled at him, too, because he damn near ran into a parked car. He got a scathing review, too, with me actually calling him dangerous and stating he should be fired (or whatever the equivalent is for Uber drivers).

But then there are the drivers who aren't being dangerous or making me (almost) miss trains but drive slow, don't know how to pick the correct lane, will pull up behind existing cars at a stop light even when there is an empty lane and really annoying stuff like that.

Writing this all out, I have no idea why I still even use Lyft/Uber ...
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:03 AM

Hmmm.. I have a different opinion of Lyft and Uber. I had a friend visiting from South Korea recently and he took a taxi from the top of North Michigan ave to Belmont and Broadway, an $11 trip when I have taken it. The cab driver couldn't find Belmont and Broadway and was dropped off two miles from there at $40 later - my friend took a CTA bus to from there to the correct location. On his way to his Air Bnb in Wicker Park leaving Lakeview I told the taxi driver to drop my friend off at North and Milwaukee. We were at Belmont and Broadway. Later that night I text my friend if he got back ok and again the cab driver couldn't find North and Milwaukee and he got let off about a mile from there at $50 later. I know too many stories of people getting ripped off by cab drivers. When I worked in a restaurant I cant tell you the number of tourists that got screwed taking a cab from the Sears Tower to around Michigan and Ohio - $20-$60. At least with Uber and Lyft that doesn't happen.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:08 AM

Yeah, the grass is always greener. I've had nothing but good experiences with Uber and nothing but miserable experiences with cabs. There is never a cab anywhere near where I am in Avondale and I've had people wait an hour or more for one to show up. Ubers are always instant and if they really can't find my place they just cancel and someone who can negotiate one way streets finds us.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:36 AM

Not to get too far off topic, but my biggest issue with Lyft and Uber downtown is drivers causing gridlock. Most (though not all) cabbies at least have enough sense to not throw themselves into the middle of the intersection with nowhere to go. /rant

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations