HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
1136 S Wabash has hit the first flat floorplate, this one should really start to fly now.
I have a pretty good vantage point once it does start to fly.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:31 AM

Today
Around town (too tired to recall all the names)

Walton

The Sinclair

Atrium Village

Viceroy

8EHuron

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Apr 3, 2017 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:10 AM

^ Jeez, big effort, buy that man a six pack of growlers of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
So could Onni build something at 353 Grand as of right?
I'm curious about the site across the street, next to the bigbox parking lot. That side of Grand is begging for redevelopment too. Unless it's somehow necessary for any future improvements to the highway ramp interchange. From the street it looks like an electrical substation or something, but per Google aerial view, half of it is uncovered, and the other ones I know about downtown are enclosed. It still does look electrical utility related, but it may be a bit small for that. Does anyone know, or know what it serves? If only there were an infrastructure historian around here. Er, Mr Downtown?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:47 AM

What a tour. Thank you.
When is that Western Union going to bite the dust?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:50 AM

Viceroy is beautiful, I just wish that design could have been 30 floors taller.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:44 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
an electrical substation or something, but . . . the other ones I know about downtown are enclosed.
Only the ComEd substations in the heart of the business district are roofed: Dearborn & Ontario, Block 37, Quincy & Franklin, State & Lake. Most others are screened but open to the sky for ventilation: this one, Desplaines & Polk, Harrison & Financial, 15th & State, Congress & Plymouth. All the saber-rattling during the 2000s about ComEd's reliability and a city takeover made Exelon anxious to invest in new central city capacity, including a new 233KV transmission line that runs under State Street from 63rd to 9th and then west under Dearborn Park etc. They're unlikely to give up an existing substation to development.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:40 PM

Anyone else notice that Fazlur Khan is the Google doodle today?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:01 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
All the saber-rattling during the 2000s about ComEd's reliability and a city takeover made Exelon anxious to invest in new central city capacity, including a new 233KV transmission line that runs under State Street from 63rd to 9th and then west under Dearborn Park etc. They're unlikely to give up an existing substation to development.
Yeah, I remember there used to be frequent blackouts in the central area. It was terrible and I'm glad that other than the occasional, very localized outage of a block here or there, blackouts seem to be a thing of the past for downtown.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I'm curious about the site across the street, next to the bigbox parking lot. That side of Grand is begging for redevelopment too. Unless it's somehow necessary for any future improvements to the highway ramp interchange. From the street it looks like an electrical substation or something, but per Google aerial view, half of it is uncovered, and the other ones I know about downtown are enclosed.
Looks like recently enclosed the transformers(?) there with a new concrete wall. Should make redeveloping the office store that much easier...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosegoose View Post
I have a pretty good vantage point once it does start to fly.
Thanks, and welcome to the forum! Any images you can post from up there are appreciated.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 3:49 AM

Thank you J M Tungsten for the exhaustive and great updates!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:57 PM
tilted & shifted

Thanks for the update, JM Tungsten! I just added 975 W. Wilson to the rundown list. It was recently approved by the City Council.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Thanks for the update, JM Tungsten! I just added 975 W. Wilson to the rundown list. It was recently approved by the City Council
Thanks. Could you also add the Vendors Village mentioned by Randomguy at the top of this page? He's not the first to make this request. I understand there's a lot to keep up with theses days but there are very complete as well as very dead projects still showing up on page 1. The "Vendor's Village" or 210 North Carpenter will be transformative for the area, 12 story office, situated along the L, and basically midway between McDonalds and Google, AND its broken ground. It should be mentioned on page 1 if 10 or 11 story residential like 975 W. Wilson and 111 S. Peoria are covered.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
They're unlikely to give up an existing substation to development.
Yeah, those substations are not going anywhere. Their footprint downtown is about as minimum as they could accept already.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:44 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Adam Collins, Rahm's Communications Director, is reporting that the 12 story "Vendor's Village" (210 N. Carpenter St) broke ground today. I don't see this project on the front page, can a mod please add it to the list?

Done.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:18 PM

And the Holy Name site is dipping it's toes in the pool of biting the dust.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ing10-20170405
Quote:
Residential developer plots big project on Holy Name site

By ALBY GALLUN

A venture led by Jim Letchinger, president of JDL Development, has emerged as the winning bidder for the property at the southwest corner of State Street and Chicago Avenue, currently a parking lot for Holy Name Cathedral, according to people familiar with the property. He's agreed to pay more than $110 million for the property but is still negotiating a purchase contract with the Archdiocese.

"Jim has got a pretty hot hand with his 9 West Walton deal," said Chicago developer Steve Fifield, who also bid on the property. With strong financial partners that includes a Chinese investment firm, he "has the capability of being able to step up."

Fifield said he had planned to build about 670 apartments in two 40- to 50-story towers on the site, plus a smaller building with about 70 units of affordable housing, to comply with the city's affordable housing ordinance.
Pretty exiting stuff for River North. How likely is it that JDL would put up something taller than 50 storeys? Crossing my fingers for a super tall here.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post

Pretty exiting stuff for River North. How likely is it that JDL would put up something taller than 50 storeys? Crossing my fingers for a super tall here.
I was wondering when the price would be right for the Archdiocese to bite.

There's a similar situation close by at the Episcopal Catherdal (St. James), which had plans to tear down and develop their low-rise building behind the church @ Huron and Rush. That went south in the great 2008 downturn.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:16 PM

Hi All,

I am surprised no one has posted this news yet about the Holy Name site in River North (and if it was covered, I apologize...). Hopefully whatever is built there looks amazing:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...go-archdiocese

"The 90,000-square-foot site is just three blocks west of North Michigan Avenue and large enough to support two high-rises, attributes that make it a compelling opportunity for developers who like to think big. A project there would add to a major transformation of River North already well underway, turbocharged in recent years by the downtown apartment boom that has brought thousands of residents to the neighborhood."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post

Seems to me that a super tall doesn't fit in with that neighborhood.

Something similar in height to the Waldorf Astoria (685 feet) would be great, IMHO

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Seems to me that a super tall doesn't fit in with that neighborhood.

Something similar in height to the Waldorf Astoria (685 feet) would be great, IMHO
Because it would clash with the Hancock center?

If it is well designed, it would fit in just fine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations