HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
latest rumors suggest it will be a Coyotes/ASU partnership and the shared arena to go on the current Karsten Golf Course. But nothing final.

I think this was mentioned by Jjs months ago, looks like it continues to make progress. 5-story condo project (65 units) @ 10th Ave & Washington

http://azbex.com/phoenix-advances-ca...condo-project/

I've been reading Karsten and also Scottdale 6. Also, the stretch of McKellips along the former Scottsdale 6 is all of a sudden getting road improvements and what looks like possible widening the last couple of weeks. Kinda makes me go hmmm...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:09 AM

I think one can recognize that 1) downtown has transformed and finally reached a tipping point, largely thanks to the creative class and adaptive reuse projects that attracted residential infill, etc., and 2) the total lack of high-wage jobs being added into downtown really IS a problem.

This boom has no doubt been bigger than 2007 and I don't think there is any risk of downtown returning to weekends of empty streets. But, Phoenix continues to experience 'brain drain' at a rapid pace and those who stay will need to commute to the 'burbs. Unfortunately, Mackay has been obsessed with filling both the WDistrict and Midtown, and has actively persuaded tenants looking for downtown space to locate in one of those instead.

With ASU's presence and downtown's momentum, surely we could get ONE HQ downtown. Just think if there was already a supermarket - a Sprouts at the bottom of its HQ tower; if Civic Space was lined with more highrises for a flagship Best Western, and its HQ + ASU's hospitality program; a PetSmart tower on top of Central Station with a state of the art dog park...

Hopefully, Phoenix can keep competing for tech jobs fleeing CA. As the startups mature, additional employers will help build up the marketplace.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:14 AM

The Block 23 office space really is a waste, though; if it can't pencil out without an anchor tenant, put them under the residential and try a hotel tower. 1 tower + 3 stories of office is a little weak.

Read an article on ASU and UA planning to break ground this year on their properties near 4th St/McKinley, yet still no public plans. With good design, they can integrate the cool neighborhood that has formed, but if it is more of the same, that would really stink.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Sorry, I'm sure this will be obvious once you spell it out, but I am lost...
Someone beat me to it; OCPE = One Central Park East = FreePort McMoran.

According to phoenix.gov, the original plans for the site seem to have been revived. Site plan approval was given for: PROJECT DESCRIPTION OF WORK: DEVELOPMENT OF A MULTI-LEVEL HIGH RISE BUILDING CONSISTING OF OFFICE, RETAIL, CLASSROOMS
AND RESIDENTIAL USES.

Am still not seeing info on the Hines project on Fillmore. They do great work, so I have high expectations. That parcel could handle 2 residential towers + 1 hotel tower, and a similar project of theirs had tenants like H&M, Target, etc. which would all be great additions.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Jul 20, 2016 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

According to phoenix.gov, the original plans for the site seem to have been revived. Site plan approval was given for: PROJECT DESCRIPTION OF WORK: DEVELOPMENT OF A MULTI-LEVEL HIGH RISE BUILDING CONSISTING OF OFFICE, RETAIL, CLASSROOMS
AND RESIDENTIAL USES.

Am still not seeing info on the Hines project on Fillmore. They do great work, so I have high expectations. That parcel could handle 2 residential towers + 1 hotel tower, and a similar project of theirs had tenants like H&M, Target, etc. which would all be great additions.
This has been revived???

Uhhhh.... yes please.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

AND RESIDENTIAL USES.

I think I found the Hines project--"Canyon Court".

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: PROPOSED IS AN APARTMENT BUILDING ON THE CURRENT PARKING LOT AT THE NE CORNER OF CENTRAL AVE AND FILLMORE ST, THIS 11 STORY TALL BUILDING IS TO INCLUDE RETAIL AND PARKING ON THE GROUND LEVEL AND PARKING ON LEVELS 2-3, ON THE 4TH LEVEL IS AN AMENITY DECK WITH APARTMENTS UNITS. AND 5 STORIES ABOVE UNITS TOTALING IN 393.

http://pdfsr.com/pdf/planreview2273867.pdf

5 stories of apartments for a total of 393...I'm assuming the building would take up the entire block?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

5 stories of apartments for a total of 393...I'm assuming the building would take up the entire block?
Its got to be thick; 300 units is half the size of the Massive ALTA and all the stuff around 3rd street is ~150 each

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: PROPOSED IS AN APARTMENT BUILDING ON THE CURRENT PARKING LOT AT THE NE CORNER OF CENTRAL AVE AND FILLMORE ST, THIS 11 STORY TALL BUILDING IS TO INCLUDE RETAIL AND PARKING ON THE GROUND LEVEL AND PARKING ON LEVELS 2-3, ON THE 4TH LEVEL IS AN AMENITY DECK WITH APARTMENTS UNITS. AND 5 STORIES ABOVE UNITS TOTALING IN 393.

http://pdfsr.com/pdf/planreview2273867.pdf

That would be so sweet if that immense eyesore of an empty lot got developed. Would be awesome for the Public Market and N Central as a whole. Maybe they'll even incorporate the abandoned underground bowling alley (highly unlikely). I'd think 11 stories might be about the height of the Westward Ho.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:24 AM

Updates on MetroWest Developments

Ground breaking of McKinley Row is imminent. Project is fully approved and permitted and ready to go.

2nd/3rd Ave & McKinley project is making progress and development agreement w/ city approved.

Nice to see both these infill projects moving forward, should add more bodies to Roosevelt

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:00 AM

Yep, I recall telling you guys this several months ago and being told there's no way. All of the water and electrical was moved a couple of months ago.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:21 AM

Which is the 2nd/3rd Ave one? That can't be the one replacing the building where Forno 301 is now?

Last edited by Phxguy; Jul 21, 2016 at 7:44 AM. Reason: Nevermind my insolence, I found the answer.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Yep, I recall telling you guys this several months ago and being told there's no way. All of the water and electrical was moved a couple of months ago.
what is no way ?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
what is no way ?
Being told there's no way as in no way it's going to be built. I was told by other members here that the land has been sold to a different developer and Metrowest wouldn't build anything, you guys put too much stock into Ethan's ABI reports which are designed to help create urgency in the market.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Being told there's no way as in no way it's going to be built. I was told by other members here that the land has been sold to a different developer and Metrowest wouldn't build anything, you guys put too much stock into Ethan's ABI reports which are designed to help create urgency in the market.
I meant which project

McKinley lofts?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Which is the 2nd/3rd Ave one? That can't be the one replacing the building where Forno 301 is now?
Nah that's going to be a different development by Habitat Metro I believe.

The one I'm referring to are the two empty lots on the NE Corner 3rd Ave and McKinley, extending to 2nd Ave. Plans also include improvements to Roosevelt Park

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
No, I believe this one is the vacant, city-owned land on the north side of McKinley between 2d and 3d ave. Last I saw it discussed here it was planned for 6 townhomes, 94 apartments and retail.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8408

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I meant which project

McKinley lofts?
yes

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:26 PM

6 downtown Phoenix street projects to watch

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ffic/87256224/

Quote:
Changes are in store for some major streets in downtown Phoenix as the city plans for more people to navigate its urban core.

Some projects focus on guiding drivers at busy intersections. Others envision limiting car lanes to accommodate more cyclists and adding trees and sidewalks to make streets more walkable for pedestrians.

Phoenix’s first flashing yellow turn arrow

Where: Seventh Avenue and Roosevelt Street.

What’s happening: Drivers turning left onto Roosevelt Street now see a flashing yellow arrow southbound on Seventh Avenue. The signal, warning motorists to yield to oncoming traffic, is used in other cities but is a first in Phoenix. The addition is a safety measure for a busy intersection just south of the Interstate 10 overpass, according to the city.

A redesign of Third and Fifth avenues

Where: Third and Fifth avenues between McDowell Road and Washington Street.

What’s happening: Phoenix plans to redesign Third and Fifth avenues, which cut through residential areas downtown. The city originally proposed converting them from one-way streets to two-way streets but is considering other options following community feedback, said Mark Melnychenko, special projects administrator with the transportation planning and programming division of the Street Transportation Department.

Timeline: The city plans to unveil a design concept in August. More information is available at 3rdand5thave.com.

The Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel will be remodeled

What’s happening: The hotel will get a major renovation including improvements along Adams Street, according to Jon Erickson, director of sales and marketing. The main entrance will shift from Adams Street to First Street. A Starbucks Evenings store, which serves alcohol and small bites, as well as a renovated bar will open onto the street as part of the project. Crews will repaint the beige hotel white and gray, and fins jetting from the side of the building will provide shade on Adams Street.

Timeline: The project started several weeks ago and is expected to finish in March, Erickson said.

Bike lanes on Third Street

Where: Third Street between Indian School Road and Roosevelt Street.

What’s happening: Changes will improve pedestrian and bicycle mobility, Melnychenko said.The five vehicle lanes will be reduced to three with buffered bike lanes and improvements in crossings, lighting and sidewalks.

New shade trees

Where: Throughout downtown, concentrated between Seventh Street and Second Avenue along Monroe and Adams streets, and Second Street from Van Buren to Jefferson streets.

What’s happening: Downtown Phoenix Inc., an organization that maintains some downtown streetscapes, is replacing trees to improve shade and growth. Before being replaced, some downtown trees grew in shallow tree wells that didn't allow roots to fully expand, according to Samantha Jackson, vice president of operations. New trees were chosen to grow fast, provide shade and be drought resistant.

Timeline: The organization replanted 58 trees this year with six more outstanding, said Ray Cabrera, director of place making for Downtown Phoenix Inc.

Safer pedestrian crossings

Where: Seventh and Monroe streets.
What’s happening: A new signalized pedestrian crossing between the Children's Museum of Phoenix and the Heritage Square area aims for safer movement across busy Seventh Street. The city also is considering an improved crossing at Seventh Avenue and Fillmore Street, though plans aren't set, Melnychenko said. That area is slated for development, including a 230-unit apartment complex.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:36 PM

I'm interested to see the long term plan the city has for the bike lanes, I use 3rd Street quite often and while I've never felt at risk riding on it the bike lanes are a welcome addition. My curiosity is piqued though, when I look at the newly painted bike lanes on Indian School and I wonder what the long term plan is for that road, everything seems to be funneling that direction with bike infrastructure and I think I probably speak for many when I say there is not a chance in hell I'm riding my bicycle down Indian School Road with the exception of a day like Christmas when no one is out driving. I'm not a casual cyclist or commuter either, I train just over 10K miles each year so I'm completely used to riding with traffic and I've even spent over a week in a coma from being hit by a car... I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes A LOT to make me nervous about riding a bike and Indian School does it, so what's the plan for Indian School? Is there something bigger in the works to make it more tolerable and safe?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:39 PM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
I'm interested to see the long term plan the city has for the bike lanes, I use 3rd Street quite often and while I've never felt at risk riding on it the bike lanes are a welcome addition. My curiosity is piqued though, when I look at the newly painted bike lanes on Indian School and I wonder what the long term plan is for that road, everything seems to be funneling that direction with bike infrastructure and I think I probably speak for many when I say there is not a chance in hell I'm riding my bicycle down Indian School Road with the exception of a day like Christmas when no one is out driving. I'm not a casual cyclist or commuter either, I train just over 10K miles each year so I'm completely used to riding with traffic and I've even spent over a week in a coma from being hit by a car... I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes A LOT to make me nervous about riding a bike and Indian School does it, so what's the plan for Indian School? Is there something bigger in the works to make it more tolerable and safe?
I agree. The new bike lanes on Indian School seem incredibly out of place for a road that busy. Good luck sitting on westbound Indian School at Central where the bike lane suddenly turns into a shared use lane with cars trying to turn right on red. I understand that this mayor is definitely trying to move the central parts of the city away from its auto focused past of the 50s-90s, but it really seems useless without a major overhaul. Simply restriping Indian School and taking away a travel lane for a bike lane isn't enough. I'm glad that Indian School between Central and 7th Ave is no longer 8 travel lanes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest