HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'm well aware that it is highly transmissible, but so what?

If you're vaccinated (and boosted, especially), you have very little to worry about, other than possibly having mild symptoms for a couple/few days.

If you're vaccinated and don't want to go due to concern about potentially getting a bit sick, then don't go. Or if you're not vaccinated, then don't go. ​

This variant spread is happening, and it will continue to happen. And another variant will very likely emerge in the near future.

But again, we have remarkably effective vaccines.
I think an organizer making a decision to cancel an event is in the same bucket as someone personally deciding not to go. They are weighing risks to themselves, their workers, and reputation. I don't think we should go back to government shutdowns, but at the same time there's no way I'd go ahead with a large social event having witnessed what I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks. It's only slightly less stupid than getting on a cruise ship right now.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:32 PM
The City

I think we are moving in the direction where these decisions are being made more and more privately. Companies choosing to cancel or postpone large gatherings, or individuals doing the same, etc, as opposed to the heavy handed mandates coming from Government, etc.

And this is exactly where we should be headed. If you’re still petrified of this virus, then you have every right to stay isolated, but no need to force your fears onto everybody else.

I welcome Omicron. I hope I get it, if I don’t already have it now. 2 colleagues had it (and of course are fine now).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Why are we still closing, canceling, postponing, isolating, quarantining, etc. due to covid?

We have remarkably effective vaccines.

Why are we still doing this?

If you're vaccinated and don't want to increase your chances of catching it and experiencing mild symptoms, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you have young children who cannot be vaccinated yet, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated due to a health condition, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated because it goes against your "beliefs" for whatever reason, then fuck off... everyone's tired of catering to your idiotic fragility.
Agree with all of this except the young children bit. They have never been at risk. You’re doing them a disservice by not letting them be exposed to it and gain immunity (which will probably confer a benefit in the case of another novel coronavirus decades from now).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Heard NY and Florida both hit 70k today.
Yeah NY is high and so in NJ too. PA is very high as well.

The Measles Covid is spreading!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New York City's strictest vaccine mandate takes effect

Video Link

Quote:
New York City's strictest COVID-19 vaccine mandate to date has taken effect. Private sector employees must now show proof of at least one vaccine dose to enter the workplace. Everyone aged 12 and older will need to show proof of full vaccination to enter indoor venues like movie theaters, gyms and museums. City and State New York senior state politics reporter Zach Williams joined CBSN's Elise Preston to discuss.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:45 PM

I would think actual case counts are a lot higher than those being reported as well, since at-home test kits are now widely available and I doubt people are self-reporting their positive tests (I sure as hell wouldn't).

Not that case counts matter. The more the better, actually.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah the metric IMO should be deaths. If those are seeing a reduction, positive IMO.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think an organizer making a decision to cancel an event is in the same bucket as someone personally deciding not to go. They are weighing risks to themselves, their workers, and reputation. I don't think we should go back to government shutdowns, but at the same time there's no way I'd go ahead with a large social event having witnessed what I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks. It's only slightly less stupid than getting on a cruise ship right now.
Yes, I agree that it's their decision to cancel a big party. But there's really no reason to do so... just like canceling all of these football bowl games. If attendees are vaccinated, they have nothing to worry about. Nothing more to worry about than going to a New Years Eve party in 2018 and catching the flu or in 1999 and catching the Y2K virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Agree with all of this except the young children bit. They have never been at risk. You’re doing them a disservice by not letting them be exposed to it and gain immunity (which will probably confer a benefit in the case of another novel coronavirus decades from now).
Right, recent numbers show that of 800,000 people who died from covid complications, only 240 were under 19 years old. That's 0.03%. Less than half that under 9 years old.

I was just noting that if parents did not want to put their unvaccinated young children at any risk (even though that risk is negligible), then stay home.

Last edited by pj3000; Dec 31, 2021 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:21 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I would think actual case counts are a lot higher than those being reported as well, since at-home test kits are now widely available and I doubt people are self-reporting their positive tests (I sure as hell wouldn't).

Not that case counts matter. The more the better, actually.
There's no mechanism to report positive results from home test kits. The kits say you should notify your PCP. I did a week ago today and have yet to hear back from them. My local county health department said they have no way to accept and track home reported results. Official case counts are absurdly underreported.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That's the thing with the PCR tests, takes a while due to such demand, so folks opting for the home kits but at the same time, some employers don't even accept the home kits. Yeah under reporting is very large. And those home kits are sold out or if placed on the shelves, sell out quick.

Your physicians are also booked too or very busy.

An Urgent Care visit could take 3-4 hours of waiting time.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Your physicians are also booked too or very busy.
PCPs? Booked? Very Busy?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:48 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Yeah the metric IMO should be deaths. If those are seeing a reduction, positive IMO.
Hospitalizations should be since they can overload healthcare systems and they have in several states. Less deaths is great though, so we can get closer to the dreaded "zero COVID" that some people don't want (for some reason?).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
PCPs? Booked? Very Busy?

Its New Years Eve!

Testing positive for the Sour Diesel variant. Morning variant apparently when one is off. Also tested positive for Nespresso variant. Later on will continue to test positive with side effects of dancing, seeing into the future, time dilation and the side effect of talking like the rapper Future at 2 am.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Its New Years Eve!

Testing positive for the Sour Diesel variant. Morning variant apparently when one is off. Also tested positive for Nespresso variant. Later on will continue to test positive with side effects of dancing, seeing into the future, time dilation and the side effect of talking like the rapper Future at 2 am.
I feel the so-far mild, citra-hopped variant coming on soon... like within the hour. Then, I'm pretty sure the more aggressive Straight Kentucky variant will overtake it, resulting in the relatively-quick onset of the following symptoms: loud talking, boastfulness, glassy eyes, flaccidity. By the time 11PM rolls around, the bubbly variant will have resulted in an appearance described as unkempt, dizziness, frequent urination, slurred speech, and hiccups.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:18 PM

In November, for a Chaka Khan concert I went to, I wore a KN95 mask. I've been wearing one ever since. And then Omicron.

And now with hospitalizations rising in Los Angeles County, we indoor workers have to wear N95 masks starting January 17th, and employers must provide them to their employees. My company is already ordering some---and of course there are now already supposedly shortages.

LA County Issues New Health Orders As COVID Skyrockets

I must say, though, these KN95 masks hurt my ears.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:42 PM
No grabbing my banana!

I went to the urgent care to get tested, since my office requires a negative test before it allows me to come back (I tested positive a couple of weeks ago). Two weeks ago, the line to get tested was about 1-1.5 hr long. One week ago, the line was 2+ hrs.

Today? 15 minutes or less. Maybe the short line was due to the fact that it was a weekday morning, and it's no longer the holiday season (meaning more people are at work or school). Or maybe it's due to more test sites being made available elsewhere throughout the city (I was planning to go to a mobile test center, but decided to check out the line at urgent care first because it's only a few blocks from my house). Whatever the reason, I see it as an encouraging sign that the virus surge has subsided a bit in the city. A good chunk of metro NYC denizens have probably already caught COVID & recovered during this surge.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I went to the urgent care to get tested, since my office requires a negative test before it allows me to come back (I tested positive a couple of weeks ago). Two weeks ago, the line to get tested was about 1-1.5 hr long. One week ago, the line was 2+ hrs.

Today? 15 minutes or less. Maybe the short line was due to the fact that it was a weekday morning, and it's no longer the holiday season (meaning more people are at work or school). Or maybe it's due to more test sites being made available elsewhere throughout the city (I was planning to go to a mobile test center, but decided to check out the line at urgent care first because it's only a few blocks from my house). Whatever the reason, I see it as an encouraging sign that the virus surge has subsided a bit in the city. A good chunk of metro NYC denizens have probably already caught COVID & recovered during this surge.
New positive cases/day in NYC have leveled off, but haven't really declined yet. But that may be due to a reporting lag. I guess we'll know for sure by this weekend.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 7:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

We still await the New Years surge. A lot of what we are seeing most likely stems from Christmas. Hopefully a lot of this dies down in February. I think January may be a tough month for the nation Covid wise.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
We still await the New Years surge. A lot of what we are seeing most likely stems from Christmas. Hopefully a lot of this dies down in February. I think January may be a tough month for the nation Covid wise.
The incubation period for omicron appears to be about 3-4 days, so we should already be seeing the New Year surge as long as there isn't a testing backlog.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 11:40 PM
The City

Our hospitals are full with Covid cases. Majority unvaccinated, of course.

That’s life, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions