HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:47 AM

Noice. I watched them drill a couple years ago now. So must be getting close (spring as you mentioned).

I like the credit union building mid block. Then there's the parkade...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That hotel is beautiful. And filling a parking lot even. Ten more giant parking lots to go.

Several of the biggest parking lots, including the three largest ones in that photo, are owned by the province to provide cheap parking for government workers. I wish there was pressure on them to release them.

The apartment building at Donald and St Mary should start construction in the spring. 15 stories. Another good parking lot filler.
Let's start some.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Let's start some.
Exactly! Make it an election issue.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Exactly! Make it an election issue.
Good thing there’s a municipal election coming up next year it’s time to address this topic publicly once and for all.

Although I have a feeling a bunch of suburban commuters would hate this to be addressed because “muh parking”. However, I think WFH is the seismic shift in work culture needed to finally be able to address this issue viably.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:30 PM

Parking Lots

Say...what is the apt on Donald/St Mary that you speak of? I do not recall any posting.
As a general comment, there is no doubt that filling these parking lots with creative developments (they don't have to be towers) should be a priority of the city and province. Graham, Donald, and the lot behind WCB are the worst offenders.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Looks like the Architect is playing off the milk carton apartment building across the street. The white panel up the side has the same opposing angle at the top.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:47 PM

The surface parking lot that always gnawed at me the most is not among the most prominent... it's the province's parking lot on Kennedy across from the Legislature and Government House. It's such a great spot and a desirable place to live. There is no reason it should still be parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Looks like the Architect is playing off the milk carton apartment building across the street. The white panel up the side has the same opposing angle at the top.
I was thinking the same thing. I like the details in this one, it goes above and beyond the simple box format (as I mentioned earlier, compare it to the Alt) with some interesting design flourishes.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:55 PM

1. This proposal replacing the existing single family-homes on 347, 353, 363, and 365 Oakdale just across the street from Charleswood middle school which will be rezoned as an RMU for a 3 building, 270 unit proposal. Their are two 5 story buildings and one 7 story building.

Article in the Freep about this one today. Appears to have more supporters than detractors. Notable opponent being Mike McEwen, the perennial choker at the Brier who is actually quite a dink in real life (know many people that have spent time around him on the rink). Add rising NIMBY star to his profile. Apparently this is a 55+ seniors complex.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...575626282.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Notable opponent being Mike McEwen, the perennial choker at the Brier who is actually quite a dink in real life
WinCitySparky off the top rope!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The surface parking lot that always gnawed at me the most is not among the most prominent... it's the province's parking lot on Kennedy across from the Legislature and Government House. It's such a great spot and a desirable place to live. There is no reason it should still be parking.
An often over-looked lot that I sometimes forget about but I could not agree with you more. Most nights I go for a run around the legislative grounds and its so beautiful - it'd be an amazing view to have your apartment look out onto. Seeing it be a mostly empty parking lot in the evenings is so insane. Such a great opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
An often over-looked lot that I sometimes forget about but I could not agree with you more. Most nights I go for a run around the legislative grounds and its so beautiful - it'd be an amazing view to have your apartment look out onto. Seeing it be a mostly empty parking lot in the evenings is so insane. Such a great opportunity.
Exactly this. I used to live on that block and it was a fantastic place to be. I realize that some surface lots might be a tougher sell for developers, i.e. the cost vs. marketability of a lot near Portage and Main could be tough. But this lot on Kennedy would be very desirable and in demand as long as the building is at least somewhat reasonably priced by market standards.

The Convention Centre expansion was a major lost opportunity to get something done there... it's a shame the province couldn't have reserved a bunch of spots in the south parkade for its employees from, say, 8-5 and then it could have sold off that lot.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Exactly this. I used to live on that block and it was a fantastic place to be. I realize that some surface lots might be a tougher sell for developers, i.e. the cost vs. marketability of a lot near Portage and Main could be tough. But this lot on Kennedy would be very desirable and in demand as long as the building is at least somewhat reasonably priced by market standards.

The Convention Centre expansion was a major lost opportunity to get something done there... it's a shame the province couldn't have reserved a bunch of spots in the south parkade for its employees from, say, 8-5 and then it could have sold off that lot.
Row. Houses.

Brick of course
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:31 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Row. Houses.

Brick of course
I have always fantasized about brick row houses on that stretch of Kennedy... I would love to live in one there lol

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I have always fantasized about brick row houses on that stretch of Kennedy... I would love to live in one there lol
I have as well. Honestly, if someone executed them well along the Legislative grounds I would seriously consider it. Close to Safeway and Osborne Village, right on the edge of downtown but still in a nicely scaled neighbourhood, and a beautiful park on your front stoop. I think one could live quite comfortably there mostly car-free. Pretty enticing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
WinCitySparky off the top rope!
lmao I just rolled out of bed and was prickled by McEwen’s take, I’m a Team Gunnlaugson cheerleader

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
lmao I just rolled out of bed and was prickled by McEwen’s take, I’m a Team Gunnlaugson cheerleader
I once hired him and his crew to paint a rental suite that I own... I thought he was just a great, stand-up guy.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I once hired him and his crew to paint a rental suite that I own... I thought he was just a great, stand-up guy.
Known his family all my life, he really is

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:18 PM

Brownstone town-houses on that strip...and there are probably other spaces in downtown that it would work well.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Brownstone town-houses on that strip...and there are probably other spaces in downtown that it would work well.
many locations immediately adjacent to dt too! Colony by Canada Life where they park should be, a lot of the near west end is ripe for them, and quite honestly I'd be very happy if all the empty lots south of broadway were filled up with them. Anywhere in OV would work too, and don't forget about ST B as well, point douglas, west exchange, etc etc etc
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Covid killed that hotel proposal for the time being (maybe in 2 or 3 years). Former Charter House hotel renovation is proceeding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan