HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:16 AM

Great update, Oaklandrising! Oakland is looking great.

Nice to see glass going up on 1100 Broadway as well.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Anyway, not to slam Oakland but I'm always kind of surprised how empty its streets look in photos like this--makes me think they were maybe taken early on a Sunday morning or something.
So true. I remember the first time I went to Oakland, I thought the exact same thing—almost eerie.

Overall, that's the difference between a city that relies on cars vs walking and is spread out vs dense like most of SF. It's getting much better though, esp with all of this infill.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
So true. I remember the first time I went to Oakland, I thought the exact same thing—almost eerie.

Overall, that's the difference between a city that relies on cars vs walking and is spread out vs dense like most of SF. It's getting much better though, esp with all of this infill.
Yeah, my GF lives in uptown. I'd say it varies depending on where you are in the central core. On the weekends you can still see a good number of people walking around Old Oakland or Lake Merritt and Uptown gets pretty busy in the evenings.

The area where a lot of this construction is is pretty dead, but hopefully that will change as more people move into the downtown area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:59 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
But now that you've figured it out, it's pretty easy . . . right?

For future reference, the easy way to figure something like this out is to hit the "quote" button on a post doing what you want to do (like, say, post a youtube video) and that way you can see how it's done.

Anyway, not to slam Oakland but I'm always kind of surprised how empty its streets look in photos like this--makes me think they were maybe taken early on a Sunday morning or something.

But that said, very nice set of pictures of happening projects and thanks for putting in the effort to post them.
In regards to the empty streets, I notice it when driving through downtown as well. I can tell you from my perspective, it's due to safety concerns. I have to admit it but I fear the pedestrian experience there. Maybe my perspective is shared amongst other east bay residents.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Looks like some of those potential office buildings could become new tallests for Oakland. Lots of incoming development. I wondered when Oakland would receive its fair share of development that San Francisco has garnered, but now my question has been answered.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:

I lived in Oakland for almost a decade. I would put Oakland on the same level as SF as far as automotive usage, being good for a U.S. city. New York would be the absolute highest. Many people in Oakland commute by bike, take AC transit or the BART. Oakland is very bicycle friendly.

As far as the streets being empty, it is similar to SF but on a smaller scale. I worked in downtown SF, the financial district at New Montgomery and Howard, for almost a decade. On the weekdays it was bustling but on the weekends it was like a ghost town. On Sundays there were very few pedestrians and almost no cars. Walgreen's, restaurants, etc. are closed on Sunday. Market, from 3rd to Embarcadaro, is also sparse with most people concentrated at Powell. SF Mall, Target, etc. generates significant pedestrian traffic.

In Oakland most of the activity is on the south side of downtown around Chinatown and the 12th Street Bart Station. A Target is going in at 27th and Broadway, which will add to the already increasing amount of pedestrians in the Broadway Auto Row area.

Last edited by Oaklandrising; Jan 26, 2019 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
In regards to the empty streets, I notice it when driving through downtown as well. I can tell you from my perspective, it's due to safety concerns. I have to admit it but I fear the pedestrian experience there. Maybe my perspective is shared amongst other east bay residents.
I have lived in Oakland for almost 3-years now. In my opinion, walking through certain sections of Central S.F is far more daunting than Downtown Oaktown. Hundreds of homeless and questionable people all over the streets, drinking, shooting up, relieving themselves in plain sight (#1 & #2), just hanging out in groups all along Market St, homeless sprawled out sleeping everywhere. Same for the core BART stations over there. I don’t find myself feeling that same type of anxiety when walking in Downtown Oakland or using BART’s Fruitvale/Lake Merritt/12th St/19th St/West Oakland stations. And, as many have said, as thousands of new residents populate Downtown/Uptown over the next 2-years, the pedestrian scene will change, pretty dramatically, I think. Many of the larger developments along Broadway & Telegraph have ground level retail, and that will do wonders in activating the street. The relative lack of Downtown residents is what I think is the primary cause of there not being as much activity on the streets as one would expect. I’m excited to see the 40+ Residential projects coming up in Downtown or within about a 2-mile radius (4 in Jack London Square alone totaling about 1,250 units, plus Brooklyn Basin and its 250-units right next door with two more buildings to start in the next couple of months). And several more projects are to break ground by spring in the visiting of Downtown. Truly amazing. There are over 10K residential units underway in the core of Oakland right now. And there are several commercial spaces which will welcome thousands of new workers into Downtown in the next year or so also. So the daytime and evening population are both positively impacted.

But, simultaneously, I hope both SF & Oakland can find a way to seriously begin addressing the homeless epidemic and housing affordability. Especially Oakland, where lots of people are being priced out of the ability to live in places they’ve called home for years & years. I came in and bought when prices were skyrocketing. So I saw it firsthand. Thankfully I got in when I did. Comparably sized units in my building are now selling for 150K more than when I bought in Summer 2016, and a year before I came in they were 150K less than what I paid. Sorry I missed that boat!!

OAK is rockin’..

Last edited by ATLonthebrain; Jan 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 8:10 PM

Thank you OaklandRising for such a comprehensive update on different projects around. Great contribution! Particularly the Valdez area and along 27th. I noticed about a week ago that the Acura dealership was demo'ed. I have been absent from taking photos much, but here are a few

Crane Battle!

Crane Down!

250 Alice no longer under wraps

1721 Webster

Everyone was in question of what the glass would look like versus the rendering. Not surprised it will be much darker.

1640 Broadway

The morning sunlight accentuates the subtly in the cladding.

In regard to walkability and security concerns. Yes, the lack of traffic i think can detour people, but I have walked alone in parts of West Oakland, certainly downtown, Lake Merritt, JLS, and North Oakland late in the night or early morning, and never had much of a problem. My nieghborhood near the lake is quite active with foot traffic till late. Both weekends, and weeknights.

Still, certainly keep my guard up when walking alone late at night (this goes for any city). Being born and raised in SF, I certainly feel that the Mid Market corridor is a lot less safe than Oakland's Broadway corridor. Since I have been in Oakland, almost 6 years (and spending a lot of time here for the previous 10), there is a lot more foot traffic now, and generally, think there will be even more so as these residential projects go to market, and there is more commercial and retail space outside of Broadway and Telegraph.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 9:57 PM
heavy user of walkability

belated thanks, Oaklandrising! wonderfully thorough update.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
belated thanks, Oaklandrising! wonderfully thorough update.
Thank you for your contribution as well timbad.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:58 AM

1900 Broadway, Oakland, Ca

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...995&j=86192791

A search reveals no thread for it so I'll make one (in "Proposals" for now).
Like to add a few illustrations:

Last edited by Oaklandrising; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklandrising View Post

You've got the wrong map / project site shown here. The one you're showing is for 1750 Broadway.

1900 Broadway site on the Northeast corner and will take up about half of the block.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
You've got the wrong map / project site shown here. The one you're showing is for 1750 Broadway.

1900 Broadway site on the Northeast corner and will take up about half of the block.
Thanks, good catch. Didn't notice they made the mistake when I took it off the website. Fixed it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:20 AM

88 Grand, Oakland, CA

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 2:08 AM

Credits to aphelion2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...tml#i/10716822

500 Kirkham is Panoramic’s proposed new workforce housing development, adjacent to the West Oakland BART station, in Oakland, CA.

The development (one 23-story tower, plus two smaller buildings reaching eight and nine floors, respectively) will take full advantage of its proximity to newly revitalized downtown Oakland, and to the only BART station directly connected to every other station in the Bay Area

View from window of BART Train

Renders courtesy of Lowney Architecture - Pankow Builders is the general contractor.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:25 PM

And then there is this potentially right next door:

"In addition to the 762 residential units, the overall development, as designed by JRDV Architects for the China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) in partnership with the Strategic Urban Development Alliance (SUDA), would yield 382,000 square feet of office space, up to 75,000 square feet of retail space (including a major food market) and nearly 90,000 square feet of plaza and paseo space, including a new civic plaza and multipurpose community space along 7th Street dubbed “Mandela Plaza.”" —SocketSite

Credit via SocketSite

Credit via SocketSite

Credit via SocketSite

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:17 AM
Metal Up Your !

West Oakland is gearing up for a transformation. Every Bart station in a dense urban area needs to be a hub of sorts.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 8:10 PM

I got off West Oakland before for the Blurry Vision Music Festival last year and I thought that area was really... scary. I honestly wouldn't feel that way if these projects indeed come up.

Also, I think it would be great for Oakland/East Bay's skyline to extend. This, Brooklyn Basin and then the new baseball stadium. Aerials of Oakland will be so much better in the future and I can't wait for it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:32 PM

I didn't realize Mandela was from that part of Oakland?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I didn't realize Mandela was from that part of Oakland?
It's just a rendering for what public art might look like lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations