HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 11:56 PM

From hoggytime on Skyrise Cities, the new Ottawa Central Library is taking shape.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre.../#post-2037866

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Meanwhile, Western University, along with other leading Ontario Universities, are denuding their libraries of books.

I am really surprised that libraries apparently don't need to contain books. But then again, Indigo and Chapters hardly have any books, other than "Heather's Picks", and some worthless coffee table screeds written by celebrities. It's about worthless knick-knacks, overpriced children's toys and overpriced, expired Godiva chocolates.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 12:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Meanwhile, Western University, along with other leading Ontario Universities, are denuding their libraries of books.
I thought most university libraries were digitizing most of their material now?

When I was in university (early 1990s) most of my "book budget" went to photocopying... we didn't have a lot of textbooks in the urban geography program, but relied very heavily on journals. I'm sure most of them have digital access now, but I must have gone through dozens and dozens of copy cards back then (and I kept most of the articles in boxes for a long time, but they were eventually recycled)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 2:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Most books are not digitalized; almost all periodicals are. In many fields, like mine, we rely more heavily on periodicals. For those that rely on books, there is little chance of of the serendipitous discovery of relevant books that comes while searching the stacks for your title(s). A digital readout of nearby hits is no substitute. The former is akin to browsing for clothes or whatnot in a physical retail environment, whereas the latter is having an abstract list of titles.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 1:09 PM

Refection and expansion of the Gabrielle-Roy library in Quebec City is almost over.

https://www.lesoleil.com/resizer/t0Y...KSDHBNWIQY.JPG

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 2:31 PM

Now that is a nice reclad!

Still can't believe how Edmonton approved that spaceship of a library when they could have something clean and elegant like this for cheaper.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 1:20 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada