HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:54 PM

Convention Center Tower l 407ft l 27 Stories

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:55 PM

Calhoun Towers l 2 towers at 22 Stories

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:18 AM
Dutton Brown Design

Construction Site in North Loop: N 5th St and N 3rd Ave

Hi there,

Relatively new to posting to the Minneapolis forum here but have been on the site for awhile. Can anyone tell me what is being built at the intersection of N 5th St and N 3rd Ave behind the storage facility?

Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:42 PM

The Gateway l 530ft l 35 stories

RBC Wealth Mgmt is indeed confirmed to occupy the office portion of this mixed use development. The Four Seasons Hotel plan will be unveiled in May and a official groundbreaking in 2019. The city wanted an "Iconic Tower" on this block... Not sure if I would exactly call this Iconic?

http://m.startribune.com/united-prop...olis/479166323

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:47 PM

Target Field Station l Element concept by Westin l Fillmore Music Venue

Last edited by jla1591; Apr 9, 2018 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 7:26 AM

Having lived in Minneapolis from 1972-1993 I so look forward to these updates on what's being built in Minneapolis.

The Nimby's around Calhoun/Lake of the Isles must be loosening up a bit to allow 2 22 story Apartment buildings to go up there, and as I can see, not along the shoreline, no surprise there!

I used to have an apartment on 15th/Nicollet, and it's good to see some development going on in that area.

Now how about some mid-rises/high rises built adjacent to Loring Park?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
Hi there,

Relatively new to posting to the Minneapolis forum here but have been on the site for awhile. Can anyone tell me what is being built at the intersection of N 5th St and N 3rd Ave behind the storage facility?

Thank you!
I think the project that you're talking about actually at the intersection of 3rd St N & 5th Ave N? It's across the old rail yard trench from the old storage facility, right? That's an office building with some retail and a large parking component. IIRC, it's approx. 11 stories.

EDIT: 13 stories. Here are the plans: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/gro...msp-196828.pdf .

Last edited by MPLS_Const_Watch; Apr 19, 2018 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:00 AM

TULA APARTMENTS -- 7 Floors -- 4/16/18

MOSAIC EAST -- 8 Floors -- Office -- 4/16/18

IRONCLAD -- 14 Floors, 148' -- Apartments, Hotel, Retail -- 4/18/18

As with the previous photos of this one, you can see the nearly finished East End (7 floors, apts & retail) to the left, The Legacy (19 floors, condos) to the right, and The Hub (26 floors, apts & retail) in the far right background. A large mobile crane was taking down the tower crane at The Hub today.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Having lived in Minneapolis from 1972-1993 I so look forward to these updates on what's being built in Minneapolis.

The Nimby's around Calhoun/Lake of the Isles must be loosening up a bit to allow 2 22 story Apartment buildings to go up there, and as I can see, not along the shoreline, no surprise there!

I used to have an apartment on 15th/Nicollet, and it's good to see some development going on in that area.

Now how about some mid-rises/high rises built adjacent to Loring Park?
I agree... they should have no choice.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:12 AM

419 WASHINGTON -- 13 Floors -- Office & Retail -- 4/23/18

THE NORDIC -- 11 Floors -- Office, Apartments, & Retail -- 4/23/18

This one consists of two separate buildings that are connected by a multi-level bridge over an old railroad ROW that runs down the center of the block. Fronting Washington is an 11-story office building w/ 1st floor retail, while fronting 3rd St N is a 9-story ramp w/ liner apartments & first floor retail.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:21 AM

IRONCLAD -- 14 Floors, 148' -- Apartments, Hotel, Retail -- 4/24/18

EAST END -- 7 Floors -- Apartments & Retail -- 4/24/18

205 PARK -- 6 Floors -- Apartments, Condos, & Retail -- 4/24/18

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:29 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_Const_Watch View Post
I think the project that you're talking about actually at the intersection of 3rd St N & 5th Ave N? It's across the old rail yard trench from the old storage facility, right? That's an office building with some retail and a large parking component. IIRC, it's approx. 11 stories.

EDIT: 13 stories. Here are the plans: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/gro...msp-196828.pdf .
Thank you for that information. It's a much larger project than I realized. It's also a somewhat similar design to the Nordic going in just a few blocks down. Nice to see a few projects with a bit of height (for the North Loop).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:34 PM
Dutton Brown Design

North Loop - The Nordic - Progress Pics

Taken from roof of ElseWarehouse.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
Thank you for that information. It's a much larger project than I realized. It's also a somewhat similar design to the Nordic going in just a few blocks down. Nice to see a few projects with a bit of height (for the North Loop).
Both projects are designed to emulate the massing & primary facades of the the larger former warehouse buildings on Washington. We will see how the materials turn out in the end, but if these have quality brickwork and details, I think they will really add to the character of that stretch. Between these projects and all the big tuckpointing jobs going on, it's a pretty exciting walk between 8th and the trench on a workday! Nice vantage point for The Nordic, hope you can keep getting some shots from there!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:28 AM

IRONCLAD -- 14 Floors, 148' -- Apartments, Hotel, Retail -- 5/9/18

205 PARK -- 6 Floors -- Apartments, Condos, & Retail -- 5/9/18

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:35 PM

Minneapolis is really gobbling up their surface lots, I think 5 years and there will be no more full block surface lots. A true accomplishment for what was such a derelict downtown not long ago

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
Minneapolis is really gobbling up their surface lots, I think 5 years and there will be no more full block surface lots. A true accomplishment for what was such a derelict downtown not long ago
I believe we are down to 3 full-block lots, 2 of which have active proposals. Of course there are still a lot of half and 3/4 block lots out there, but only a fraction of what there used to be.

Would be a pretty cool exercise someday to compare acres of surface parking downtown in 1990, 2000, 2010, and 2020.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:24 AM

TARGET FIELD STATION -- 8 Floors -- Hotel, Music Venue, Retail -- 5/10/18

METRO TRANSIT POLICE HEADQUARTERS -- 4 Floors -- Office/Police Station -- 5/10/18

SHAFFER-RICHARDSON RAMP -- 6 Floors -- Parking & Retail

THE NORDIC -- 11 Floors -- Office, Apartments, & Retail -- 5/10/18

419 WASHINGTON -- 13 Floors -- Office & Retail -- 5/10/18

333 HENNEPIN -- 26 Floors, 291' -- Apartments & Retail -- 5/10/18

80 Broadway St NE -- 6 Floors -- Apartments -- 5/10/18

CATHOLIC ELDERCARE -- 5 Floors -- Apartments -- 5/10/18

14th & Marshall -- 6 Floors -- Apartments & Retail -- 5/10/18

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_Const_Watch View Post
I believe we are down to 3 full-block lots, 2 of which have active proposals. Of course there are still a lot of half and 3/4 block lots out there, but only a fraction of what there used to be.

Would be a pretty cool exercise someday to compare acres of surface parking downtown in 1990, 2000, 2010, and 2020.
God yes, now you're speaking my language, would LOVE to see what's been devoured. Thinking the surface lot in the next 10 years could be an extinct species in Minneapolis fills my heart with joy haha. And I live in NYC, so I'm not even connected to Minneapolis. Just happy to see it thriving.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
God yes, now you're speaking my language, would LOVE to see what's been devoured. Thinking the surface lot in the next 10 years could be an extinct species in Minneapolis fills my heart with joy haha. And I live in NYC, so I'm not even connected to Minneapolis. Just happy to see it thriving.
Felt like working with maps tonight, so I give this a quick shot... 2001 vs. present. I did not include proposals or approved projects, only projects where work has begun. The changes are less visible on the maps than they are in person, and there's a lot in the pipeline that would change things quite a bit further. I also kept this to surface parking, did not include rail yards or vacant land. I'm sure there's a few things I missed here, threw this together pretty quickly...

EDIT: Temporarily removed images... I noticed some major errors, will repost soon.

Last edited by MPLS_Const_Watch; May 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations