HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 3:43 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I did say it was not surprising...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 4:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What? A Christian pastor follows pro-lifer???? Well knock me over with a feather.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I clicked on the twitter feed in question and scanned what that person said... most of what she tweets would have been considered perfectly normal, mainstream views 25 years ago (even if she puts them in an aggressively belligerent "screw you" kind of way that is now common in American political discourse). But I suppose that the window of "acceptable views" has shifted such many of these are now considered off-limits by current Canadian standards.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if Gillingham follows her. I'd be more concerned if he started playing the part of "culture warrior".
One mayoralty candidate was skewered for basically stating fact but his comment didn't fit the narrative even though it was indeed factual!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 9:56 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ness-1.6647242

Winnipeg Mayor Scott Gillingham prioritizes homelessness in 1st week on the j

New mayor says he's had conversations with city CAO about opening up city facilities during extreme weather

Winnipeg's new mayor says he's only been in the job for a week, but he's already started working on ways to address homelessness in the city.

Mayor Scott Gillingham knows unstable housing and homelessness are a big problem in the city.

"These are real people that are struggling, and we have to help," he told Marcy Markusa in an interview on CBC Manitoba's Information Radio on Thursday.

"I think it should break all of our hearts. It breaks my heart, because these are these are sons and daughters, these are parents, these are brothers and sisters that we see living on the street."

He spoke the day after the 2022 Winnipeg Street Census results were released at Siloam Mission

The survey reached over 1,200 people in the city without homes, and the researchers said that doesn't include those experiencing "hidden homelessness" — people couch surfing with friends or staying with family members.

They estimate that population was undercounted by at least 4,000 people, based on a ratio of three people for every one person experiencing absolute homelessness.

Homelessness needs to be addressed by the next mayor and council, a majority of Winnipeggers said in a poll done before the election on Oct. 26.

Gillingham said he's already spoken with the city's chief administrative officer about opening up city spaces in cold weather to give people places to go, as he promised during his mayoral campaign.

Gillingham also plans to shift staff around so he has an advisor on future work on the issue.

"I'm starting to look at that right now, in my mayoral staff, is a senior advisor on homelessness and addiction, because it is a top issue in this city," he said.

Gillingham recommitted Thursday to another campaign promise regarding affordable housing.

Gillingham pledged during his mayoral campaign to create at least 270 units of modular housing — homes that are built off-site and then moved to a permanent location — using funds from the federal government's rapid housing initiative.

"I'm going to access the third round of funding from the federal government to make more modular homes available to get more people off the street," he said Thursday.

Gillingham said during the campaign that the city would waive permit and land costs and property taxes for the homes, while also speeding up the zoning approval process.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Definitely homelessness needs urgent attention but also the factors that contribute to it!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:07 PM

So far I am impressed with Scooter he seems much more hands on and results oriented compared to Bowman who was always too afraid to get his hands dirty and actually do things.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:14 PM

Sherri Rollins is now seeking the Liberal nomination for the Winnipeg South Centre byelection.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...hill-1.6227326

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:17 PM

I thought she was NDP?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:11 PM

Rollins withdraws from race for Winnipeg South Centre Liberal nomination, citing she feels like her "heart is with city hall." In reality, Jim Carr son is running to replace his deceased father, I'm sure that has lots to do with it too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Rollins withdraws from race for Winnipeg South Centre Liberal nomination, citing she feels like her "heart is with city hall." In reality, Jim Carr son is running to replace his deceased father, I'm sure that has lots to do with it too.
Beside the fact that he’s the son of Jim Carr is there anything worth noting about this guy?

Also, I think Rollins made the right move. She’s one of the better councillors in the city and I’m glad she’s the chair of Property & Development.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
I thought she was NDP?
NDP with ambition - Goes to the Federal Liberals

NDP with integrity - Stays with the NDP

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:22 PM

I don't like it when nepotism wins over the quality of the 2 candidates. Politics is one of the worst areas in life for people getting ahead solely on nepotism.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't like it when nepotism wins over the quality of the 2 candidates. Politics is one of the worst areas in life for people getting ahead solely on nepotism.
It does seem that a political class is emerging across party lines with second generation elected officials. Not a great trend IMO, it shouldn't be a family business.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Carr has name recognition in the letters of the word only....he is a high school principal....why would he be any more qualified than anyone else, but he will win becasue people recognize those four letters of his name.....its annoying.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:14 PM
the first stamp is free

considering your typical federal politician is usually a lawyer, accountant or the like, perhaps a high school principal isn't so bad really. Might be reasonable to expect them to have a better grasp of the younger generation.

Either way, politics is almost always a name or face game, for better or worse.

Rollins would be running based on her own name recognition from civic politics.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:49 PM
surely you agree with me

^ yeah not a shot at Carr or high school principals, but he is running and will likely win only because people recognize those four letters in that configuration. Nobody knows anything about him....at least we know Rollins as an actual person, not just her name.

This is the ultimate case of name recognition...literally just his name.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:16 PM
the first stamp is free

I am not that concerned personally.

Every politician is running on their name in every election other than possibly their first one (incumbent advantage and all that).

Unless Carr (the younger) has horrible personal views, or an obvious lack of qualifications for this position, the party generally supports the person they think will win.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:25 PM
surely you agree with me

I disagree.....most candidates, especially in important ridings like this are running on recognition from something they have done (like Jim Carr)....having a dad who did something is a pretty weak qualification.

the reality is most people don't take the time to find out what they stand for and recognizing the actual letters spelled out on the ballot is the only thing that matters.

It's a bit different in federal because he will just be a cog in a big wheel, but it would be nice to have a candidate that has a track record to establish recognition.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:56 PM
the first stamp is free

The standard procedure for aspiring politicians in Winnipeg seems to be the School Trustee - City Councilor - MLA/MP ladder or something like that.

From what I can see, Rollins has followed the standard procedure. Which is great, but doesn't mean she is better qualified to be an MP versus someone who takes a different route, even if on name recognition alone.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 12:15 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
It does seem that a political class is emerging across party lines with second generation elected officials. Not a great trend IMO, it shouldn't be a family business.
Welcome to Elmwood Transcona.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan