HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
That's a weird perspective - looks like Canada Post (is that what that is?) is right behind the train station.
There was way less depth of field on a lot of older cameras that makes everything in the frame appear more 'flat'.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 2:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Amazing picture of the Forks. I have never seen that one before.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I wish I could spend a day walking around old Winnipeg. I love urban industrial oldness.
I still remember the railway tracks running throughout the exchange district, leading up to the loading docks of various warehouses. That was neat to see, still fresh in my memory.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Oh I miss train tracks anf polluting industry along the river,can we bring that back? "Sarcasm font"
To be fair, everything seemed a bit more lively back then. The exchange was a bustling industrial area. My mom used to work in the textiles industry there and I remember going with my dad to pick her up from work in the evenings. Portage avenue was also a bustling retail street at the time. South Portage was still kind of crappy at the time. Downtown now is like a forest fire that has wiped a lush forest and now we see som small patches of green starting to sprout through. Some spot are greener than others. COVID and meth were just a couple of other fires that wiped out a lot of the green that was starting to poke through before.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:31 PM

As I recall the warehouses/depots would run along Water Street. Most significant urban transformation in our lifetime. There is a story on CNN site about an abandoned airport in Greece being converted to a sustainable parkland. CP yards? Another significant transformation for the future.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:55 PM

To be clear I don't want to go back to train tracks on the river. I just like old timey industrial stuff. I'd much rather live in a converted old timey area than in Waverley west.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
To be fair, everything seemed a bit more lively back then. The exchange was a bustling industrial area. My mom used to work in the textiles industry there and I remember going with my dad to pick her up from work in the evenings. Portage avenue was also a bustling retail street at the time. South Portage was still kind of crappy at the time. Downtown now is like a forest fire that has wiped a lush forest and now we see som small patches of green starting to sprout through. Some spot are greener than others. COVID and meth were just a couple of other fires that wiped out a lot of the green that was starting to poke through before.
I believe you meant North Portage..South always did well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Stumbled across a before and after of WaterFront Drive and thought I'd share.

I really like the new waterfront, but I can't help think it's too bad they got rid of the rail corridor. It could have been used for RT now.

Awesome pics.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Manitoba
Lights on the Exchange Festival will 'bring something new to Winnipeg in the winter'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...2023-1.6678810

The festival, created by the Exchange District BIZ, will run from Jan. 21 to March 21

Joanne Roberts · CBC News · Posted: Dec 08, 2022 12:43 PM CT | Last Updated: December 8

The Exchange District BIZ has announced its first annual Lights on the Exchange – Allumez le Quartier Festival, to be held from January to March 2023.

The festival features light-based art and design that "explores the notion of history and expands our understandings of histories," said David Pensato, who is the executive director of the Exchange District Business Improvement Zone in Winnipeg.

Pensato said the BIZ provides historic walking tours in the summer months that focus on the history of the Exchange District's architecture.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:10 PM

The Free Press is reporting that the McLaren is getting an overhaul this year.

Quote:
Equal Housing Initiative will begin a $12-million retrofit of the McLaren Hotel this summer. The property at the corner of Main Street and Rupert Avenue stands as one of the few remaining single-room occupancy hotels in the city, it being the biggest and quite possibly the most visible of the bunch. The building was designated historic in 2020, meaning it can’t be demolished and its exterior structure can’t be changed.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...p-for-overhaul

Would have been interesting to see a few pictures of the inside of the hotel to get a sense of what it looks like inside right now. I don't think that I have ever seen a picture from the inside of any SRO hotel anywhere in the city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:30 PM
the first stamp is free

I got to walk thru the Bell hotel a few years back before it was reno'd. It was crazy, most floors still had the original early 1900's sinks and faucets in the rooms. One or two single toilets each floor. Absolute bare minimum updates over 100 years.

Sounds like the McClaren is in a similar condition.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 9:17 PM

View from high up P&M

Last edited by wags_in_the_peg; Jan 31, 2023 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 9:33 PM

Awesome shot. 👌

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:44 PM

nice pic on Twitter of the Exchange in winter with coloured buildings, source @Ex_District_Wpg

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:09 PM

The original "Freeway plan" for Winnipeg from the 1960's. It would have wiped out the entire East Exchange district.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:36 PM

A thing of beauty.

*ducks*

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:14 PM
There is always a way

So I don't think that wiped out would be totally accurate (maybe the stuff closer to Point Douglas). That said, it would have radically changed the way that downtown looks now.

The part most damaging to all the heritage buildings would be trying to adjust the grid in the east exchange. I do find it intriguing how they were planning on connecting the downtown grid to the surface streets where the forks is today.

The other crazy part is how Whittier park basically would not exist, and a lot of North St B would simply just not have developed. Winnipeg would definitely feel like an average american freeway city though, had they gone ahead with this plan. I'm guessing the west exchange and west end would have gotten a lot of the attention for heritage conservation that we now give to the east exchange.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:27 PM

In my view, that plan would have done two major things that would reshape downtown as it is today. It would have 1) gotten a lot of vehicle traffic off of Portage & Main which would have significantly changed the dynamic of those streets and properties that lined them, and 2) would have created a physical barrier between low-income neighborhoods north of downtown and the downtown proper, which may have concentrated many of the social issues we see today more in the north-end, with less dispersion to the downtown area which perhaps would have aided in downtown's image and residential population to the detriment of north-end neighborhoods.

Interesting to think about how different downtown Winnipeg would have been in this scenario, with pros and cons either way.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 10:30 PM

^ I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm saying that plan was good, but one has to wonder what the city would be like if that kind of development would have taken place.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
^ I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm saying that plan was good, but one has to wonder what the city would be like if that kind of development would have taken place.
Buffalo's Scajaquada Expressway is instructive about what it would have likely done...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/s...ways.html?_r=0

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan