HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I'm surprised it won't be covered up anyway. Why isn't Times Square far taller and denser than it is?
Times Square is the heart of the city’s theater district. Development in the area is largely hotel space that is anchored by tourists. But many of the landmarked theaters offer up development rights that can be transfered over a wide swath of midtown, from 40th to 57th Street.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/n...ights.amp.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 2:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Approval of transfers underway…

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 4:24 AM
New Yorker for life

A little more info on the observation deck....

__

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 12:48 PM
BANNED

This project makes me nauseous. I would welcome a simple glass box over this crazy design.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 1:05 PM

This plan from NYguy gives me hope that the building will have an interesting shape at the top and not the square in the massing models.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 1:25 PM
BANNED

I hope so. What’s been shown thus far is bizarre.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So the massing diagram sort of reminds me of Arnolfo Tower in Florence, and the edges of the floor plan indicate that the facade will be articulated pretty substantially with rectangular, triangular, cylindrical, and trapezoidal outcroppings. So this could be even weirder than we think. Something tells me this is going to be very gaudy.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
This plan from NYguy gives me hope that the building will have an interesting shape at the top and not the square in the massing models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So the massing diagram sort of reminds me of Arnolfo Tower in Florence, and the edges of the floor plan indicate that the facade will be articulated pretty substantially with rectangular, triangular, cylindrical, and trapezoidal outcroppings. So this could be even weirder than we think. Something tells me this is going to be very gaudy.

Yes, it won’t be as strictly boxy as shown in the earlier graphic. They are crafting a unique observation deck experience. You can see that the pattern is different on the different levels. I’m wondering what the effect will be.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 5:26 PM

This is going to be a thrill attraction to go along with the hotel. Expect everything touristy. Slides, exterior elevators and glass floor overhangs. I expect the top floor will be an outdoor observatory similar to the Seattle Space needle. Not sure what everyone else had in mind, but this is not going to be some elite Class-A office space or Uber luxury condos. It's going to be crawling with visitors.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:36 PM
BANNED

I just observed that ODA is designing this. That suggests that the actual tower will bear no resemblance from the insane images we’ve seen. They do amazing work.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I just observed that ODA is designing this. That suggests that the actual tower will bear no resemblance from the insane images we’ve seen. They do amazing work.
Why would they? What we've seen so far is the massing, and everyone in here has been reminded of that multiple times.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They are the design architect but ultimately will bear all there requirements from the actual developer. Will be up to Extell on how this ultimately manifests.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Why would they? What we've seen so far is the massing, and everyone in here has been reminded of that multiple times.
What’s on file with the DOB frequently looks a lot like the final product.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:27 AM
Sydney

Quote:
The envelopes shown in zoning diagrams are usually very specific to the design of the building. E.g. One Vanderbilt and Hudson Yards:

520 Fifth (note the individual bays of windows are marked):

So the floorplate for 740 Eighth being much more complex than the zoning diagram is an outlier here. Not to mention the wind tunnel testing models and structural diagrams which have been released so far show the exact shape of the zoning diagram, with the same square floorplates. I think this may have been an older full design that's been superseded by the ODA design with the wacky floorplan seen above, possibly a whole new massing with the same distribution of floors. That latest floorplan suggests that the observation deck 'mass' itself will have a lot of setbacks and cantilevers (note the 'corrugation above' and 'corrugation below' labels at the bottom left).

Last edited by Xing Lin; Jul 13, 2022 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
This is going to be a thrill attraction to go along with the hotel. Expect everything touristy. Slides, exterior elevators and glass floor overhangs. I expect the top floor will be an outdoor observatory similar to the Seattle Space needle. Not sure what everyone else had in mind, but this is not going to be some elite Class-A office space or Uber luxury condos. It's going to be crawling with visitors.

It's basically a tourist attraction, in the heart of "tourists central". And as a hotel (which I'm assuming it still will be) even more so. When they file the revised Schedule A, we'll get more info. It was last at 52 floors, but plans now say 56. The change in occupancy levels also suggest something different.

I just want it built quickly so I can get up there.

You can see the restrooms in these graphics....

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 13, 2022 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 4:51 AM
Sydney

Latest floorplan overlaid onto the older zoning diagram (or rather the wind-testing diagram as it's clearer)-- looks like the building portion has stayed roughly the same shape while the observation pod seems to be more irregular than the box in the zoning diagram:

Also looks like the core of the mast has stayed the same in dimensions so far.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 4:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Here’s a better overall view of the current massing to give us an idea on how the building is evolving…

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:09 AM
Sydney

It looks far more competent of a design without the top-hat crowning the previous design. And the transition from the mast to the pod is smoother too.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Jul 13, 2023 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 7:26 AM

This building gets stranger every time I check this thread lol. Cant wait for official renderings.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 10:20 AM
BANNED

So much for my faith in ODA. It still looks ridiculous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction