HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I've been going to bars listening to music since I was a freshman in 87. Dirty 6th has ALWAYS been rough. It's never been clean. There are more homeless now, but the threat of violence has been around since I've been here. I don't see a way to fix it. I've personally known/seen groups of young men basically looking to score or to fight. They will sometimes come in from small towns around Austin, just to "get into something". Dime Box is boring......Dirty Six ain't.
No doubt. What has changed is the downtown dwelling drug addicts and mentally disturbed component. It has increased a bunch. I used to recognize each and everyone of them and knew which ones to steer clear of. No more, there are too many, coming, going and staying. Got guys passed out, leaning on the entrances of retail stores so customers cant get in. Harassing us to/from work or around the trail system. Those things rarely if ever happened prior to the last mayor. Quit going down to D6th since all this started. Its not just arriving there, its also the walk to get there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
No doubt. What has changed is the downtown dwelling drug addicts and mentally disturbed component. It has increased a bunch. I used to recognize each and everyone of them and knew which ones to steer clear of. No more, there are too many, coming, going and staying. Got guys passed out, leaning on the entrances of retail stores so customers cant get in. Harassing us to/from work or around the trail system. Those things rarely if ever happened prior to the last mayor. Quit going down to D6th since all this started. Its not just arriving there, its also the walk to get there.
Cost of housing has doubled since 2014, which is the biggest variable. Luckily our electeds are finally doing something about it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdman89 View Post
Cost of housing has doubled since 2014, which is the biggest variable. Luckily our electeds are finally doing something about it.
That only helps the people who actually want and seek help. It's the other undesirable transients who come here to stay and sh *t all over everything (figuratively and literally) because they know they won't be bothered by any type of enforcement and have no interest in being self sufficient in society, that people want gone.

You'd think a mayor and city council of a major city that relies on tourism would understand that people and businesses don't want to be around that, but they're too busy pandering to political agendas and ideologies to actually solve the problems they exacerbated.

Last edited by zrx299; Jul 28, 2023 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
That only helps the people who actually want and seek help. It's the other undesirable transients who come here to stay and sh *t all over everything (figuratively and literally) because they know they won't be bothered by any type of enforcement and have no interest in being self sufficient in society, that people want gone.

You'd think a mayor and city council of a major city that relies on tourism would understand that people and businesses don't want to be around that, but they're too busy pandering to political agendas and ideologies to actually solve the problems they exacerbated.
We've found sh *t wiped on our windows and elsewhere - nasty. Your point is true. I wonder who is going into the Arch, I'm guessing ARCH has rules that those types don't abide. Probably makes it dangerous to go in there for the people who really need and want the help.

BTW - when I speak of NOT going down to D6, I'm referring to the daytime.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 9:43 PM

Unsure who hired them and how long it'll last, but it looks like a private security company cleaned up 6th and Brazos. It looks much better now.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdman89 View Post
Unsure who hired them and how long it'll last, but it looks like a private security company cleaned up 6th and Brazos. It looks much better now.
That might explain why car parking area at CC & Trinity has got worse.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 11:15 PM

New spot where Buckshots was at looks very lively!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post

Austin gets what it votes for.
Over and over and over……

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Stream plans to begin East Sixth Street transformation in new year
New tenants to be sought soon

A substantial facelift of Austin’s East Sixth Street will begin in the new year.

Stream Realty Partners LP said preliminary preservation work is planned to begin in early January as part of a major restoration of more than 30 properties along the popular street with Congress Avenue to the west and I-35 to the east.

The initial work will focus on restoring the facades and interiors of the Stream-owned buildings that have fallen into disrepair. The majority of interior and exterior work is scheduled to begin late in the first quarter of 2024 and early in the second quarter of the year, according to the developer.

The firm also disclosed that it will begin looking for new tenants in 2024 but it did not share if it is still actively looking for contractors to carry out the renovations.

Paul Bodenman, senior vice president of investments at Stream, said in an email that Zapalac/Reed Construction Co. is handling construction on the project. Austin firm Clayton Korte is the architect.

Stream’s vision for the district is to make East Sixth Street an all-day destination with local shops, live music and an array of restaurants. The strip of bars, shops and occasional office spaces has a reputation for drunken revelry and at times criminal activity, and Stream aims to change that. The firm, which has been acquiring property along East Sixth since at least 2020, said it intends to revive a weekend farmers market, outdoor concert series and other community events to ensure the street will remain active thorough the day.

Stream representatives previously disclosed that the project represents a $500 million to $750 million investment.

“Sixth Street is central to Austin and essential to preserving the city's vitality, and we want to bring this beloved street back to what it once was,” stated Bodenman, who is taking over leadership of the project following the departure of Caitlyn Ryan, who is now the director of the Austin-based real estate investment firm Turnbridge Equities. “We have received such positive support from the community and future tenants and are excited to see Sixth Street become a bustling neighborhood again."

The redevelopment is also grounded in plans to bolster the city’s identity as a hub of arts and music.

The firm has also previously shared plans to construct a five-floor hotel with roughly 150 rooms on the 500 block of East Sixth Street. On the 600 block, Stream plans to build a 10-story residential tower.

In July, Austin City Council unanimously approved a resolution establishing new design standards that will allow Stream to construct buildings to a height of 140 feet on the two blocks between Sabine and Neches streets.

However, it remains unclear if Stream will pursue its previous plans to build vertically.

“We are currently focused on finding the best tenants for a long-term retail redevelopment of the street," Bodenman stated. "Our main goal is doing what is right for the street and that is creating a well-balanced restaurant, bar, and retail street for all Austinites to call home. If that means going up we will consider that but it could also mean we keep the majority of the street at its current height.”

To further accommodate foot traffic, Stream also plans to remove street parking and widen sidewalks to a total of 25 feet to allow for outdoor cafes and art installations. The sidewalks are currently 12 feet wide in most places. Outdoor exhibitions will be organized by a dedicated curator.

Local design firm Clayton Korte has led the adaptation of other iconic projects in Austin, including turning a 120-year-old Victorian home in Bouldin Creek into the popular Mattie’s restaurant and event space. It also helped transform the 1920s-era Tudor Cottage facility building in Pease Park – Austin’s oldest park – into a central community space. It also drafted designs for The Albert Hotel in Fredericksburg.

Together, Stream and Clayton Korte said they intend to breathe new life into the downtown district and make East Sixth Street unlike any other in the city.

“While the surrounding neighborhoods in Austin are thriving, Sixth Street has yet to return to its full potential where it was once a booming daytime hub. By creating a consistent identity for the community, we hope to revitalize the spirit of the neighborhood and create a space that is welcoming to everyone,” stated Paul Clayton, principal at Clayton Korte.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...024-start.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 4:41 PM

Once upon a time the Austin mayor was walking along the beach and came upon a very old, ornate and fancy bottle. After picking it up the mayor removed the cork and decided to shine the bottle by rubbing on it. Almost immediately a genie appeared in a puff of smoke. "Thank you for releasing me from my bottle prison and as a token of thanks I will grant you one wish" said the grateful genie.
The mayor stated that he'd like his wish to be a solution to the mid-east problem See this map? I want these countries to stop fighting with each other.
The Genie looked at the map and exclaimed, "Gadzooks, mister mayor! These countries have been at war for thousands of years. I'm good but not THAT good! I don't think it can be done. Make another wish.
After a few minutes of thoughtful introspection the mayor of Austin stated that he would like his wish to be to have a clean 6th street.
"The Genie let out a long sigh and said, "Let me see that mid-east map again."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
They want new tenants to replace Barbs and Swan Dive? Ugh

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Oh Jesus. It took me a min to realize....Fuck that noise.

But yes, do clean up the crackheads and feces of 6th please & thank you.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 9:27 PM
Member since 2001

Unfortunately, these projects will only be "successful" if Stream (and the city) find a way to rid this area of vagrants. A monumental task.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 10:02 PM

They call this area East 6th? My friends and I refer that to east of i35

We also LOVE Barbs. It's our Thursday vibe because of 2000s night

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Unfortunately, these projects will only be "successful" if Stream (and the city) find a way to rid this area of vagrants. A monumental task.
I don't know if I agree with this.

We visited Burlington, VT in September and we loved Church St in their downtown. That city is smaller than Austin but much "weird"-er, per-capita. There are plenty of homeless all around downtown. Still, Church St made me think this is what 6th should look like. A lot of great restaurants, quirky stores, and street performers as opposed to just purely bars that only get busy on weekend nights. Kind of like the Pecan St festival vibes but year round.

Don't like barbs in particular getting kicked out though! That place is the best.

Church St Street view:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/q9FpaR6mapiFVpeK6

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Those are on Red River, like three blocks away

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsugrad99 View Post
Those are on Red River, like three blocks away
Yep I'm also missing where Swan Dive/Barbarella or that Red River are mentioned. Not big into dancing, but love to go to shows at Swan Dive and Chess Club and hope that venues around 7th aren't affected

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calesce View Post
Yep I'm also missing where Swan Dive/Barbarella or that Red River are mentioned. Not big into dancing, but love to go to shows at Swan Dive and Chess Club and hope that venues around 7th aren't affected
You can clearly see barbarella in the photo above. Barbarella is the green one. Swan dive to the left.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 4:18 AM

Here’s the street view to clarify:

https://maps.google.com/maps/place/6...gcEAA&hl=en-US

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:44 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin