HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
A large portion of my feed these days is taken up by entries that say "This message is hidden because [insert name here] is on your ignore list." When it comes to posts on this site, my tastes are similar to those of my younger children with respect to books: I like them with pictures (or at least discussion actually relevant to the thread).
As much as this discussion may be tedious, I don't see most of it as overly digressive. If it's mostly on point, I tend to just scroll through or browse quickly.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:54 PM

I could see a building like Mandeville Place happening at that site eventually. River City on the other hand, was proposed by 2 guys who ended up in federal prison for (fraud?).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
As much as this discussion may be tedious, I don't see most of it as overly digressive. If it's mostly on point, I tend to just scroll through or browse quickly.
Maybe so, but eventually I had enough of "attytood" for the sake of "attytood."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I could see a building like Mandeville Place happening at that site eventually. River City on the other hand, was proposed by 2 guys who ended up in federal prison for (fraud?).

To each his own but , IMO , I believe the only other really good location for a building like Mandeville Place
i.e. height and design , is at 8th.& Chestnut or 8th.& Market ..... but that parking lot will be there for at least
another five years , so that ends my dream as well ......

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
To each his own but , IMO , I believe the only other really good location for a building like Mandeville Place
i.e. height and design , is at 8th.& Chestnut or 8th.& Market ..... but that parking lot will be there for at least
another five years , so that ends my dream as well ......
I think 8th and Market could use a mixed use apartment building with retail on the bottom floor. The transit terminal on that block would allow it to do very well. Easy access to center city, North Broad, 69th Street, 30th Street, the list goes on.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:10 PM

Progress

RCO (lsna) public meeting on this is set for September 12th. CDR public hearing to follow and will be listed on the CDR site (maybe the next meeting?).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
RCO (lsna) public meeting on this is set for September 12th. CDR public hearing to follow and will be listed on the CDR site (maybe the next meeting?).
Interesting... I thought this was already approved by the CDR. Any reason they're going back?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
being a good architect doesn't always mean what you design is any good
wut? explain.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Interesting... I thought this was already approved by the CDR. Any reason they're going back?
It seems they are splitting the lot and due to the size of the projects. I hope that doesn't mean two phases but it may. Here is the part of the notice explaining:

Project Description: There are two applications which are described below. For additional information, copies of the zoning applications and any related information can be obtained from the applicant at One Liberty Place, 1650 Market Street, Suite 2800, Philadelphia, PA 19103. Each project is subject to Civic Design Review because it proposes more than 100,000 square feet of new gross floor area and it creates more than 100 new dwelling units. The applications also include a lot adjustment which creates 3 lots from 2 existing lots.

2301 John F. Kennedy Boulevard:
New construction and use registration permits for 320 unit Multifamily apartment building with accessory parking garage containing 97 parking spaces, 120 bicycle parking spaces, and 2,376 square feet of ground floor retail sales/commercial services uses as permitted in CMX-5.

60 N. 23rd Street:

New construction and use registration permits for 282 unit Multifamily apartment building with 72,987 square feet of retail sales/commercial services uses as permitted in RMX-3 with direct entrance on ground floor, and accessory parking garage with 95 retail/commercial parking spaces and 85 residential parking spaces, 9 retail/commercial bicycle parking spaces and 97 residential bicycle parking spaces.

Last edited by wondertwinalpha; Sep 8, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:14 PM

CDR Submission

Hot damn! This is a nice project.

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...on_reduced.pdf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Hot damn! This is a nice project.
Agree - build it!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:36 PM
BANNED

so what got changed exactly?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:38 PM

I like it, but no connection to the trail?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:40 PM

Strange that they're calling the taller building "2301 JFK" even though it doesn't abut JFK. Nice to see in the one rendering that the land fronting JFK and over the rail tracks has a 500 FT height limit. Maybe we'll see a nice, tall building here in the future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:24 PM

So, the garage podium isn't going to age well. Unless I'm mistaken, 23rd street, except for that small Retail entrance, and all of the Cherry street frontage are just big, blank garage podium walls like you'd see at a Stamford, CT high-rise. Doesn't seem to be too pedestrian oriented to me. No interaction whatsover with the river trail either.

On top of that, the buildings are vertical rectangle slabs with only minor ornamentation, no setbacks, or grace. The renderings give it a warm glow but in reality it's going to be more imperious, a slightly better version of the mostly putrid 2116 Chestnut.

Outside of getting rid of a big parking lot, what does everyone like about it?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
So, the garage podium isn't going to age well. Unless I'm mistaken, 23rd street, except for that small Retail entrance, and all of the Cherry street frontage are just big, blank garage podium walls like you'd see at a Stamford, CT high-rise. Doesn't seem to be too pedestrian oriented to me. No interaction whatsover with the river trail either.

On top of that, the buildings are vertical rectangle slabs with only minor ornamentation, no setbacks, or grace. The renderings give it a warm glow but in reality it's going to be more imperious, a slightly better version of the mostly putrid 2116 Chestnut.

Outside of getting rid of a big parking lot, what does everyone like about it?
Hmmm... I have to disagree. If you look at the site in context, I think they actually do a great job of addressing the site for what it is.

This isn't 23rd and Market, or abutting JFK... if it were, then yes I would want more retail and be a little more upset by the outcome.

In this case though? It's on 23rd Street, next to the regional rail and Market Street bridges. Across the street from this site is the parking garage for 2200 Arch, the Westminster Arch building, which has no street interaction, and an abandoned industrial building with ivy growing on it.

This design is also a product of the LSNA neighborhood group, who wanted little retail, little noise, etc.

With that said though, this site does not get a lot of foot traffic now, and will not get a lot of foot traffic in the future, even with 600 apartments here. A grocery store is the perfect choice for here honestly. Most retail probably would not do well here, unless it's a destination type restaurant or grocery store - something people are purposely going there for. I think they do a good job dressing up the retail, garages and 23rd street entrances with glass, paneling, and green space.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:44 PM

Calling it right now... Wegmans fills the grocery/retail spot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:49 PM

It will probably end up looking a lot like PMC's One Franklin recladding. Alright, nothing great, but not offensive.

I'm still trying to figure out how it meets the River Trail though. Nothing goes over the train tracks right?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
It will probably end up looking a lot like PMC's One Franklin recladding. Alright, nothing great, but not offensive.

I'm still trying to figure out how it meets the River Trail though. Nothing goes over the train tracks right?
I don't think so... no. Doesn't mean it can't be added with the second tower, or in the future if the city invests in it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:17 PM

I like it. Will be a solid addition to an otherwise boring parking lot. Should do well across from 30th Street Station, Amamark HQ, Vanguard offices, etc. etc...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive