HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:18 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ttee-1.6636447
Regina brewing company questions catalyst committee's focus on large building projects

District Brewing advocating for more funding for affordable housing, more public transit
What business of it is there’s , always will be homelessness they should promote development not hinder it , I would boycott them

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Regina brewing company questions catalyst committee's focus on large building projects

District Brewing advocating for more funding for affordable housing, more public transit
What business of it is there’s , always will be homelessness they should promote development not hinder it , I would boycott them
Bahahaha. Boycott them because they are calling for funding for affordable housing and public transit? That’s fucked up, dude. I don’t like their beer but they just gained a bunch of respect from me because I don’t expect this from business. The mayor, on the other hand, has got to be the dumbest, most out of touch ones we have had in a long time just from her comments in the story, even compared to the one she succeeded.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Bahahaha. Boycott them because they are calling for funding for affordable housing and public transit? That’s fucked up, dude. I don’t like their beer but they just gained a bunch of respect from me because I don’t expect this from business. The mayor, on the other hand, has got to be the dumbest, most out of touch ones we have had in a long time just from her comments in the story, even compared to the one she succeeded.
Your crazy one has nothing to do with the other , every time someone one’s to build something they ask for affordable housing it’s a never ending cycle , both can be accomplished ,l

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Your crazy one has nothing to do with the other , every time someone one’s to build something they ask for affordable housing it’s a never ending cycle , both can be accomplished ,l
Except one isn't being accomplished as evidenced by growing homelessness, rising rates of young adults living with their parents, and the growing number of people living together in single family homes. Then there's the transit system which this mayor literally wants to take funding from for her pet projects. So, I am not the one who is crazy.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:39 AM

We've talked about this before, but The Mayor would jerk off to a 1kmx1km cube of concrete, he loves any construction so much (even if it took 1,000 homeless people to build).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
We've talked about this before, but The Mayor would jerk off to a 1kmx1km cube of concrete, he loves any construction so much (even if it took 1,000 homeless people to build).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:

The owner of Rebellion Brewing has also been quite verbal with similar concerns. I understand it. These businesses are close to where these projects are proposed. I have no problem with them speaking up.

It's ridiculous that our council wants to spend a sizable amount of federal transit funding, an amount our city could never invest on their own, on a swimming pool. We need transit investment.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Its concerning how rushed the public consultations have been. It's kind of obvious that they want to push this through, conveniently halfway through their mandate. The fact that there is a baseball stadium that no one is asking for is part of it makes me believe there's some kind of backroom deals going on. This would be a good time for high quality, local journalism, but sadly that has been decimated. Paul Dechene can't do it all himself.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 3, 2022 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 4:27 PM

Paul does great city coverage. Alexander Quon (CBC Sask) has been doing some great coverage lately too, esp after Masters tried to tell Stefani Langenegger the city never planned for housing at Taylor Field. Alexander and Stefani are two good ones to follow on Twitter if you aren't already.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Paul does great city coverage. Alexander Quon (CBC Sask) has been doing some great coverage lately too, esp after Masters tried to tell Stefani Langenegger the city never planned for housing at Taylor Field. Alexander and Stefani are two good ones to follow on Twitter if you aren't already.
You're right about Langenegger. I haven't been following Quon though. Thanks for the suggestion! We would be taken to the cleaners if it wasn't for this heroes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
The owner of Rebellion Brewing has also been quite verbal with similar concerns. I understand it. These businesses are close to where these projects are proposed. I have no problem with them speaking up.
Just to clarify, I am the owner.

I absolutely speak up about homelessness, and we have donated $30,000 this year to organizations that support homelessness. I've personally volunteered at the shelters, and I participate in discussions with local leaders regarding homelessness when invited.

I have made one public statement about a proposed baseball stadium on the Yards (the article and quote is below). I haven't made any public statements about the Catalyst Committee.

I ultimately view homelessness and capital projects for sports and culture as seperate issues, while also understanding they all must be funded by the same taxpayer.

https://leaderpost.com/sports/local-...seball-stadium

“In general, the concept of a baseball stadium downtown is very appealing,” said Mark Heise, chair of the Regina Warehouse District and president and CEO of Rebellion Brewing on Dewdney Avenue. “It has been batted around for three or four years now. It’s still in the preliminary stages, but they have done some work on it. They would admit that there is still a lot of work to do to flesh out the concept and design, how it gets used and who would operate the facility.”

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:52 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska..._NEWS_SASK_RSA
The mystery of Regina's Taylor Field site and the 'commitment' to affordable housing

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:48 PM

Councillor Stevens has a Poll he has just put out on the Taylor Field Site.

https://www.andrewstevensward3.ca/ta...7k0-e1B78RefWY

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:22 AM

Good to have you here, Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Councillor Stevens has a Poll he has just put out on the Taylor Field Site.

https://www.andrewstevensward3.ca/ta...7k0-e1B78RefWY
I thought it was a very good survey. I hope it gets a lot of traffic, esp from the people who live around that area.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:15 PM

Stefanie Langenegger did an interview with Sandra Masters about Taylor Field. 11 minutes. I think she sounds defensive.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...g-taylor-field

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Stefanie Langenegger did an interview with Sandra Masters about Taylor Field. 11 minutes. I think she sounds defensive.

Wow. Would really be nice to have a mayor that doesn’t have a one-track mind and at least pretends to not have a singular agenda. Of note is the suggestion that the city won’t be building affordable housing. Kind of sucks for all those people who need to wait for private interests to swoop in and save the day, which I guarantee is not going to happen in any effective way.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:

Who wouldn't be with that line of questioning? A Mayor cant approve housing. The past two mayors didn't approve or start housing...why is the current mayor being lambasted?

The City of Regina is not a housing developer, why the hell would they develop housing? Go back and lambaste Fiacco and Fourege as they are the ones that said it...

She is being interrupted and over-spoken on a regular basis, such unprofessional interview.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Who wouldn't be with that line of questioning? A Mayor cant approve housing. The past two mayors didn't approve or start housing...why is the current mayor being lambasted?

The City of Regina is not a housing developer, why the hell would they develop housing? Go back and lambaste Fiacco and Fourege as they are the ones that said it...

She is being interrupted and over-spoken on a regular basis, such unprofessional interview.

Langenegger is literally the best interviewer in our province but of course you would think she’s unprofessional. You clearly missed the point. The citizens of Regina and many groups were being led to believe that the costly Mosaic Stadium and RRI project was going to result in affordable housing. Any promise of that was then scrubbed from the website. Why should anyone trust that the Catalyst project would result in affordable housing when the aforementioned project failed to do so? Also why is there suddenly plans for a portion of the project to now go on the old Taylor Field side where affordable housing was previously promised? We are being played for fools…

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post

Langenegger is literally the best interviewer in our province but of course you would think she’s unprofessional. You clearly missed the point. The citizens of Regina and many groups were being led to believe that the costly Mosaic Stadium and RRI project was going to result in affordable housing. Any promise of that was then scrubbed from the website. Why should anyone trust that the Catalyst project would result in affordable housing when the aforementioned project failed to do so? Also why is there suddenly plans for a portion of the project to now go on the old Taylor Field side where affordable housing was previously promised? We are being played for fools…
Resident Expert on Construction, Development, Housing, and Journalism

Field of Expertise: Information Technology

Level of Effective Contribution to intelligent dialogue: Low

Go Figure

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Resident Expert on Construction, Development, Housing, and Journalism

Field of Expertise: Information Technology

Level of Effective Contribution to intelligent dialogue: Low

Go Figure

Edit: building houses does not make you an expert on housing policy just like me being a software developer of financial systems does not make me an expert on financial policy. But guess what, we all (well, most) have hobbies and interests outside of work and social and economic policy just so happens to be some of my top interests. Either way, stating your credentials means nothing. Making things personal means nothing. If you want to prove me wrong, then do it. You can start by describing what your idea of affordable housing is, what our goal as a society should be when it comes to housing, and how private interests are better at achieving those goals vs the public doing it, keeping in mind the status quo is clearly not working.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 12, 2022 at 6:43 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan