HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:54 PM
BANNED

capping the kennedy is the single best thing that could be done for the west loop. Imagine if they had a park capping the expressway with water features, that would be amazing.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
capping the kennedy is the single best thing that could be done for the west loop. Imagine if they had a park capping the expressway with water features, that would be amazing.
I disagree. It's high on the list, but the single best thing that could happen is to develop all those surface level parking lots with mixed use residential high rises and office towers. The area west of Union and Ogilvie is such a dead zone. The next on my list would be running a legit BRT from the Fulton Market through to the Lakefront. The bus lanes are alright but a real BRT with fast and frequent service down Madison is long past due. Then, capping the Kennedy is next on my list.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I disagree. It's high on the list, but the single best thing that could happen is to develop all those surface level parking lots with mixed use residential high rises and office towers. The area west of Union and Ogilvie is such a dead zone. The next on my list would be running a legit BRT from the Fulton Market through to the Lakefront. The bus lanes are alright but a real BRT with fast and frequent service down Madison is long past due. Then, capping the Kennedy is next on my list.
I think if they capped the Kennedy, the first on your list would happen in pretty short order. Sometimes development needs a spark.

NEMA, 1000 Michigan, Citizen M and Sentral (Essex) probably don't happen without Daley developing Millennial Park. At least when they did.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I think if they capped the Kennedy, the first on your list would happen in pretty short order. Sometimes development needs a spark.

NEMA, 1000 Michigan, Citizen M and Sentral (Essex) probably don't happen without Daley developing Millennial Park. At least when they did.
First, the development of the West Loop is not contingent upon capping the Kennedy. Developing all those surface lots is happening. This thread is proof of that. Sure, it would to add park space where an urban highway exists, but it's not necessary. In fact, it's unlikely the Kennedy ever gets capped except in one or two sections. It's a dream.

Second, I think you are ignoring the Central Station development when it comes to all those South Loop towers you listed. Central Station predated Millennium Park by about a decade and was the real engine for growth in that part of the city.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
First, the development of the West Loop is not contingent upon capping the Kennedy. Developing all those surface lots is happening. This thread is proof of that.
John Buck's project is the third development proposal I've seen for this site in ~15 years. The lots along Desplaines seem to be cursed by proximity to the Kennedy.

When West Loop development finally hit escape velocity, it was on the other side of the highway in Fulton Market, a place that felt like a city and not an urban renewal crater.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
John Buck's project is the third development proposal I've seen for this site in ~15 years. The lots along Desplaines seem to be cursed by proximity to the Kennedy.

When West Loop development finally hit escape velocity, it was on the other side of the highway in Fulton Market, a place that felt like a city and not an urban renewal crater.
How many of those developments were proposed in 2007 and 2019? Timing is everything, sometimes. It's not like there hasn't been a number of towers built right along the Kennedy during this time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
First, the development of the West Loop is not contingent upon capping the Kennedy. Developing all those surface lots is happening. This thread is proof of that. Sure, it would to add park space where an urban highway exists, but it's not necessary. In fact, it's unlikely the Kennedy ever gets capped except in one or two sections. It's a dream.

Second, I think you are ignoring the Central Station development when it comes to all those South Loop towers you listed. Central Station predated Millennium Park by about a decade and was the real engine for growth in that part of the city.
The new "Central Station" is indeed a big anchor for the South Loop (the original was demolished in 1974). It's very first tenant was none other than then Mayor Daley. Hmmm. The planning phase for Millenium Park began in 1998. Planning stage does not equal visionary stage. With many contributions coming from his associations (see the Park Grill real estate-tax free controversy. Park Grill is the most profitable restaurant in the city). I wonder if any foresight was involved in the big picture of improving (in major ways) the "front lawn" of Chicago (Miggs Field anyone?). These moves all had an effect in the eventual investment we're seeing now. Millenium Park is the biggest tourist destination in the Midwest as we speak.

Capping the Kennedy, imo, would/could have the same effect, albeit not to the same degree, but who knows?. You claim development is already happening in that area and in the previous post state the opposite:

"It's high on the list, but the single best thing that could happen is to develop all those surface level parking lots with mixed use residential high rises and office towers"

Last edited by bhawk66; Sep 25, 2022 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:30 AM

I just gave the owner of this lot a check, because we used it for work.

I told him, “hey man, this is a prime location. I really hope someone buys it soon.” I don’t remember exactly what he said, but he hinted at this coming. Good for him!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
The new "Central Station" is indeed a big anchor for the South Loop (the original was demolished in 1974). It's very first tenant was none other than then Mayor Daley. Hmmm. The planning phase for Millenium Park began in 1998. Planning stage does not equal visionary stage. With many contributions coming from his associations (see the Park Grill real estate-tax free controversy. Park Grill is the most profitable restaurant in the city). I wonder if any foresight was involved in the big picture of improving (in major ways) the "front lawn" of Chicago (Miggs Field anyone?). These moves all had an effect in the eventual investment we're seeing now. Millenium Park is the biggest tourist destination in the Midwest as we speak.

Capping the Kennedy, imo, would/could have the same effect, albeit not to the same degree, but who knows?. You claim development is already happening in that area and in the previous post state the opposite:

"It's high on the list, but the single best thing that could happen is to develop all those surface level parking lots with mixed use residential high rises and office towers"
There is no contradiction in what I wrote. Development that is happening in the West Loop/Fulton Market hasn't eaten all the surface lots yet. It's true that there is development along the Kennedy (and the Eisenhower, for that matter) AND that there are still lots left to develop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals