HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
If you look at the mockups the panels were probably not bronze but some kind of colored aluminum. Maybe they had doubts about how the facade would hold up to the elements, especially considering it's lakeside.

Also, there was a recent rendering showing that the lantern wouldn't get any metal paneling, so we better get used to the idea that it's going to be the austere, unadorned facade. Maybe if this project is a success, Related and Stern will have another project in a blue chip location that will get more ornamentation.

The park should be fine at least, Michael Van Valkenburgh one of the foremost landscape architects practicing right now.
The Hancock, The Sears, and many other mid century towers are clad in Aluminum and show zero signs of wear after 50+ years. Anodized Aluminum is probably the best all around cladding material you can use in terms of long term durability, it simply shouldn't ever wear out. So that's not a concern.

The only concern here is budget and Related has constantly shown a total aversion to doing anything even remotely notable here in Chicago. This will not change in the future, this is their MO. As many of us have repeated from the beginning, this is not a surprise that this design would be half assed in execution which is particularly fatal for any and all historic styles where detailing and materials are so critical.

Let's hope Related doesn't build anything else faux historic in Chicago again, it's the worst possible outcome.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Completely. Related has made so much money off of value engineered turds in Chicago and squeeze here’s the biggest dump yet. This IBS is very incurable and very very beige.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:45 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:53 PM
All-American City Boy

I wanted to see what it would look like if they hired a commercial painting company to paint the panels between the windows to give it a more traditional Art Deco look. I (poorly) painted a brown between the windows to attempt to simulate a medium bronze. But they could do a black or an oxidized copper color as well and I think they'd do the building a lot of justice.

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:14 PM

An improvement for sure.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I wanted to see what it would look like if they hired a commercial painting company to paint the panels between the windows to give it a more traditional Art Deco look. I (poorly) painted a brown between the windows to attempt to simulate a medium bronze. But they could do a black or an oxidized copper color as well and I think they'd do the building a lot of justice.

I kinda like out with out the brown around the windows. This building looks nice but like I said before, it does not belong with the surrounding buildings. It just looks out of place in my opinion

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If you want classic, throwback architecture, then Robert AM Stern is about 30x the architect that Lucien Lagrange is.
Umm, you were saying!

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/9/...t-oak-dearborn

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:48 PM

looks like someone hit the park hyatt with a hammer and drove it 20 stories into the ground

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
If you look at the mockups the panels were probably not bronze but some kind of colored aluminum. Maybe they had doubts about how the facade would hold up to the elements, especially considering it's lakeside.

Also, there was a recent rendering showing that the lantern wouldn't get any metal paneling, so we better get used to the idea that it's going to be the austere, unadorned facade. Maybe if this project is a success, Related and Stern will have another project in a blue chip location that will get more ornamentation.

The park should be fine at least, Michael Van Valkenburgh one of the foremost landscape architects practicing right now.
So are the mockups OBP has on the website it is using to sell high-end condos materially different from how the building will actually appear? I wouldn't have thought that was possible

http://onebennettpark.com/gallery/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:43 PM

If you go over the website with a fine tooth comb you'll probably see a disclaimer about how the actual building might look differently.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
If you go over the website with a fine tooth comb you'll probably see a disclaimer about how the actual building might look differently.
"All advertising, promotional materials, site plans and pricing information associated with the project and the units described herein (including, without limitation, to materials, finish selections and specifications), if any, are preliminary in nature and are subject to change by developer without notice."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Related is god awful

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post

The side-by-side image is messing with my brain! ...and they just ran a story on this on Gizmodo. Small World.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-surp...e-i-1822770596

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:48 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
The side-by-side image is messing with my brain! ...and they just ran a story on this on Gizmodo. Small World.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-surp...e-i-1822770596
Ok, that's trippy.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:55 PM

weird

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 1:40 PM
BANNED

2/16/18

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:53 PM

Like a white heron in a pond!

OBP's definitely looks good amongst all the glass....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
OBP's definitely looks good amongst all the glass....
My thoughts exactly.

If it were over in River North, it would just add a bit more height to a sea of beige.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

2/16/18
What tower is that crane for? the one on the left

Edit: is that 465 North Park's?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
What tower is that crane for? the one on the left

Edit: is that 465 North Park's?
On the left, ya

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive