HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The Whole Foods in Newtown Square was busy as heck when it first opened pre Covid but the novelty wore off and I suspect those living below Route 3 and east of 252 migrated back to Acme and Giant. I will say the prepared food section in that store is very well run...much better than the the Exton store that always looks sad...food always out and what little is left looks like it's been out there all day. Also, that new Giant in Broomall probably gets a lot of customers. I only went into that new LA Fitness attached to it...but the store looked nice too. It seems kind of weird Amazon would open that store when they already had the Whole Foods in the same area.
The new Broomall Giant is very nice, but a big missed opportunity in a great location for a Delco Wegman’s. There was already another Giant very nearby at WC Pike and Township line. Not to mention that there was already an older Broomall Giant in the space that is now the Amazon Fresh.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:49 AM

I have to point out with the KOP line, that I think the only reasons they put it ahead of everything else is, 1: because the board is mostly suburban residents, and this will somewhat lessen traffic in the KOP area, but not as well as it should, and could. 2: its a hugely visible project, these are the ones that get confidence up in transit systems for the average person, seeing a new viaduct get built for a speedy(ish) trolley over a highway with fancy new stations, and tech is a huge boost for SEPTA's public image. I hope there mentality is along the lines of "If we can show them we can build this, maybe we can get more funding to build other things??" (I hope its along those lines at least

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 11:43 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
The new Broomall Giant is very nice, but a big missed opportunity in a great location for a Delco Wegman’s. There was already another Giant very nearby at WC Pike and Township line. Not to mention that there was already an older Broomall Giant in the space that is now the Amazon Fresh.
The Broomall Giant where the Amazon Fresh sits, had a deal to move to its current location when the new shopping center was being developed. So that spot was already taken. The new Giant is nice for sure. Big aisles, good selection of lots of food items, beers, and fresh made food. They even have aged beef and the quality is very good but pricey. A new Wegman was supposed to go to a new mega shopping center near the Don Guanella property on Rt. 352 but that got squashed through litigation and community opposition (rightly so) and the Delaware County ended up buying the land for a future county park (currently in the planning stages). Whole Foods in Newtown Square is still busy, now with students from Episcopal Academy and workers from SAP and others from the Ellis Preserve campus back to the office of certain days. Weekends it is busy, the quality of food items overall here is way better than Amazon Fresh, so I don't see a comparison in terms of quality. Time will tell if Amazon Fresh will survive in Broomall. The shopping plaza it sits on is in need of a serious update. It looks and feels dated and could use more landscaping.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Sep 30, 2022 at 11:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:09 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Does Glen Mills not count as Delco?

Or is the dividing line somewhere in the middle? Growing up in the Media area, I always laughed at definitions of Delco.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:54 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
My Target in Lionville is always busy and it's only 3 miles from the Target in Exton.

I ventured back past that Target this summer and was like...this has been a total waste. I mean it's still better than the abandoned rolling mill it replaced but still...it's right next to 202. It shouldn't be hard to fix. A lot of housing has gone up in that area but the retail centers along Route 29 just seem to not be getting in gear.
What is being built near the Target in Exton, is that more apartments or something else?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Does Glen Mills not count as Delco?

Or is the dividing line somewhere in the middle? Growing up in the Media area, I always laughed at definitions of Delco.
Of course Glen Mills is Delaware County. It's Concord Township.

And that Whole Foods is always busy. Even though it's a half mile from a (also busy) Wegmans.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:33 PM

Having worked at the Malvern Target, at least 50% of the foot traffic is Vanguard employees getting a Starbucks. Without Vanguard that whole area could easily just be a wooded lot there’s so many other retail centers

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:49 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Of course Glen Mills is Delaware County. It's Concord Township.

And that Whole Foods is always busy. Even though it's a half mile from a (also busy) Wegmans.
I know, it was a joke post.

Making fun that Glen Mills is Delaware County but not "Delco", as you may know being from Boothwyn, right?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:51 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Amazon overstocked on warehouses. Any closings planned at Delaware sites?

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...e/69522397007/

Quote:
After expanding its warehouse network as online sales surged during the pandemic, Amazon has delayed or canceled the launch of over a dozen warehouses across the country, a company spokesperson confirmed for USA Today.

The freight industry trade publication FreightWaves reported that Amazon had canceled or delayed plans for opening at least 16 warehouse facilities in 12 states this year, and the company confirmed those numbers for USA Today.

"In total, Amazon has canceled, closed, delayed or put on hold more than 40 centers across the country, according to supply chain consultancy MWPVL International," FreightWaves reports.

I remember a while ago when Amazon was opening all of these warehouses up I thought to myself, what will happen when they pull back operations or the company failed.

Would we see the same thing we saw in the 60's-00's with manufacturing jobs leaving communities again leaving the area just as depressed as it was before?

Now instead of old decrepit warehouses we will have new empty warehouses, definitely helping our communities, and people that rely on jobs right?

We already have one example of a warehouse pull out in SW Philly which is insane. I guess the argument could be made that since the warehouse is brand new it can be filled with anyone willing to do so, however why would we even allow the land to be wasted on that in the first place. when it could have been so much more.

I digress though, what do you guys think of this Amazon debacle which I knew was gonna happen sooner or later.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:53 PM

SEPTA KOP Line

What's the land use meant to be around these stations? Are we just going to get parking lots surrounding train stations?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Amazon overstocked on warehouses. Any closings planned at Delaware sites?

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...e/69522397007/

I remember a while ago when Amazon was opening all of these warehouses up I thought to myself, what will happen when they pull back operations or the company failed.

Would we see the same thing we saw in the 60's-00's with manufacturing jobs leaving communities again leaving the area just as depressed as it was before?

Now instead of old decrepit warehouses we will have new empty warehouses, definitely helping our communities, and people that rely on jobs right?

We already have one example of a warehouse pull out in SW Philly which is insane. I guess the argument could be made that since the warehouse is brand new it can be filled with anyone willing to do so, however why would we even allow the land to be wasted on that in the first place. when it could have been so much more.

I digress though, what do you guys think of this Amazon debacle which I knew was gonna happen sooner or later.
Well the shipping ports needs warehouses. But I would think most of them or not in good locations for the port. For example the abandon warehouse at Elmwood St. There is a industrial area one mile away with better highway access.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:26 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The Broomall Giant where the Amazon Fresh sits, had a deal to move to its current location when the new shopping center was being developed. So that spot was already taken. The new Giant is nice for sure. Big aisles, good selection of lots of food items, beers, and fresh made food. They even have aged beef and the quality is very good but pricey. A new Wegman was supposed to go to a new mega shopping center near the Don Guanella property on Rt. 352 but that got squashed through litigation and community opposition (rightly so) and the Delaware County ended up buying the land for a future county park (currently in the planning stages). Whole Foods in Newtown Square is still busy, now with students from Episcopal Academy and workers from SAP and others from the Ellis Preserve campus back to the office of certain days. Weekends it is busy, the quality of food items overall here is way better than Amazon Fresh, so I don't see a comparison in terms of quality. Time will tell if Amazon Fresh will survive in Broomall. The shopping plaza it sits on is in need of a serious update. It looks and feels dated and could use more landscaping.
I work at Ellis and it does have more people back then it did a few months ago. I don't know if Amerihealth has ever fully occupied that big new building they built there....and it still looks like SAP isn't fully back either.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:30 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
What is being built near the Target in Exton, is that more apartments or something else?
I don't think anything new is going up there. It's pretty well developed around each side of it. I know the pipeline crossed 100 right if front of it but that is mostly done.

Where are you talking about?

We are getting more apartments in Eagleview and Hankin expanded their Severgn Apartment Complex along 113 with some more new units.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:58 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I don't think anything new is going up there. It's pretty well developed around each side of it. I know the pipeline crossed 100 right if front of it but that is mostly done.

Where are you talking about?

We are getting more apartments in Eagleview and Hankin expanded their Severgn Apartment Complex along 113 with some more new units.
I really meant the Target in Malvern, my bad. I was near there a few weeks ago and a decently sized structure is under construction, a Norwood project. I did some poking around and it may be another phase of The Royal Worthington, as there was a Hotel Worthington proposal with 152 Boutique Suites.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 9:10 PM

First look: Inside West & Main, Conshohocken's first new hotel in 20 years

Article behind paywall, but can see photos in the link below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...shohocken.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 9:10 PM

The Bancorp switches to national charter with HQ relocating to South Dakota

Stinks that Wilmington is "losing" an HQ, but sounds like majority of the jobs will remain. Article behind paywall in link below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...l-charter.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
What's the land use meant to be around these stations? Are we just going to get parking lots surrounding train stations?
I really don't believe think that's the intent. The land in the KoP area is too valuable/in-demand to host large parking lots.

I fully would expect more of the "Village at Valley Forge" type of mixed-use development to take place immediately adjacent to future rail stations. It's already in the planning stages around the KoP Mall property.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I really don't believe think that's the intent. The land in the KoP area is too valuable/in-demand to host large parking lots.

I fully would expect more of the "Village at Valley Forge" type of mixed-use development to take place immediately adjacent to future rail stations. It's already in the planning stages around the KoP Mall property.
OK, that's helpful to know and glad that's happening. Look forward to seeing what those plans are.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
OK, that's helpful to know and glad that's happening. Look forward to seeing what those plans are.
This train is far past the planning stage. Though, I am surprised they never tried to pencil some more fake buildings into all the renderings.

You got to scroll down to see the different station renderings: https://www.kingofprussiarail.com/artistic-renderings

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:24 PM

Philadelphia Union to build $55M WSFS Bank Sportsplex on 32 acres along Chester waterfront

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...portsplex.html

Quote:
The Philadelphia Union unveiled plans Tuesday to build a $55 million sports and recreation complex in Chester through a partnership with WSFS Bank.

The 170,000-square foot WSFS Bank Sportsplex is part of the ongoing effort to develop and revitalize the Delaware River Waterfront in Chester. It will span 32 acres between Subaru Park, the Union's soccer stadium, and the Union Power Plant office building.

“We believe this will make us a premier location for soccer on the East Coast, and elevate Chester and make its waterfront an iconic location for the region,” said Jay Sugarman, principal owner of the Union.

The project will bring the Major League Soccer club's Philadelphia Union Academy and YSC Academy to one campus. The academies were developed by the organization for the development of young soccer players and to provide a pathway for them to become professional players.

“The heart of this project is our commitment to community and our desire to be an agent for positive change" said Tim McDermott, president of the Union. “The announcement of WSFS Bank Sportsplex is the beginning of an important next chapter for the Philadelphia Union and the growth and development of the Chester Waterfront."

WSFS Bank entered into a multiyear sponsorship agreement with the Philadelphia Union in August. That partnership includes the Wilmington-based financial institution receiving naming rights for planned sports complex.

The complex will include a 100,000-square-foot indoor facility that will be available for community use and an adjacent 70,000-square-foot support building that will house Philadelphia Union II, a member of the new MLS Next Pro Division III soccer league launched this year by MLS, and the Philadelphia Union Academy. The indoor facilities will include a 125-yard by 75-yard turf field; two multipurpose courts which are capable of hosting eight cross-width courts for basketball, volleyball or futsal; a 20,000-square-foot performance center with weight room and sprint track; locker rooms; and a café for athletes and guests. The indoor facility will be complemented by seven outdoor multisport fields including one championship grass field with spectator seating, two additional full-size grass fields, one youth-size grass field, and three full-size turf fields.

"This best-in-class facility will provide a singular home for our professional and academy teams while creating a premier destination for local youth groups to fall in love with sports," said Sugarman. "I could not be more proud to see this project come to fruition.”

The project, according to the Union, will generate an economic impact of $90 million over the first decade and provide 500,000 visits annually to the Chester waterfront.

Plans are for the sportsplex to donate hundreds of hours in court and field time for community use and provide health and wellness programming that will be made available to Chester youth and local organizations.

“This project shows the continued commitment and partnership that the city shares with the Philadelphia Union,” said Chester Mayor Thaddeus Kirkland. “It will create better jobs, more recreational opportunities, and a bridge that connects our community to our beautiful waterfront.”

WSFS Financial Corp. CEO Rodger Levenson said the bank wanted its partnership with the Union to be more about branding and exposure.

"We wanted to find an organization that shared our values," Levenson said. "The positive economic impact to Chester, a place where players can collaborate and prosper from the values of sports and a beautiful place where the community can host fun, safe events are just a few of the reasons we wanted to join the Union in bringing the WSFS Bank Sportsplex to Chester."

Groundbreaking on the WSFS Sportsplex is set to take place this winter. The complex's outdoor fields are expected to be in place by August of 2023 and the indoor facilities are scheduled to open in June 2024.

YSC Academy, a school and youth soccer training complex located in Wayne, and the Philadelphia Union Academy will move to the Chester campus beginning in 2023. YSC Academy will be housed in a school that will be created inside the Union Power Plant.

Philadelphia Union Academy encompasses soccer programs for the under-12 to under-17 age groups and offers a professional pathway with Union II for players ready for the next step in their development. The Union Academy has produced 15 homegrown players for the Philadelphia Union.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations