HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:29 PM
DRINK

Here's my baby as we crossed into the bug infested NWT on a road trip four years ago. It as about to come out of a two year hibernation with a 3.0L bored out to 3.2L with a turbo and a ton of drivetrain motor work.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:53 PM

My summer ride:

My winter ride:

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:00 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Yeah I heard something about the crash factor but I also had people try and tell me the Neon was a lemon, don't buy it. Sure, it's not the best built car (the frameless windows for starters) but compared to my parent's early '90s GM car....yeah. I also had a Plymouth Acclaim that I bought off my parents and that was over 220,000 when I sold it (I still regret it) and it was super-low maintenance even though my mom never bothered much with routine maintenance.
K-cars didn't exactly have a great reputation for durability either, although that may be more of an Ontario thing (they had a tendency to rust). I always wonder why everyone badmouths GM so much, because honestly compared to the other Big 3 they have given my family and friends the least amount of problems. Simpleton engineering (who still uses pushrods for mass-produced engines?) but they always struck me as fairly durable and simple to work on. You will also never find a company that makes a better mass-market automatic transmission (BMW was actually using GM automatics for a while).

Everyone keeps posting skyline pictures, now I feel obligated to go out and get one myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Here's my baby as we crossed into the bug infested NWT on a road trip four years ago. It as about to come out of a two year hibernation with a 3.0L bored out to 3.2L with a turbo and a ton of drivetrain motor work.

That car has a bit of a Mad Max look about it. First-gen SHO, right? Those things are getting rarer than hen's teeth. Have you run it on a dyno yet? I wonder how much power you can get out of the Yamaha block with those modifications.

I'd like to retract my previous statement regarding Ford, because somehow I forgot about these. Although that being said, the later jellybean SHO (which I'm pretty sure had a V8 and transmission made of glass) was truly awful.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:09 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
That car has a bit of a Mad Max look about it. First-gen SHO, right? Those things are getting rarer than hen's teeth. Have you run it on a dyno yet? I wonder how much power you can get out of the Yamaha block with those modifications.

I'd like to retract my previous statement regarding Ford, because somehow I forgot about these. Although that being said, the later jellybean SHO (which I'm pretty sure had a V8 and transmission made of glass) was truly awful.
The guy who previously had the 3.2L we swapped in dynoed at something like 400-450 at the wheels....it was scary fast and would give my dad's slightly modified STS-V a run for its money....but he didn't upgrade his differential and it exploded after a couple thousand kms.

I'm aiming for something around 350. Not willing to jeopardize realibility for performance just yet....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:13 PM

I drove a 95 neon for a while....kids were young. Just needed a computer car that I didn' give a crap about. I drove the sh*t out of that car and could not break it. I tried! Redlined it all the time....changed the oil every 15, 000kms.....could not break it. I sold it after 7 years to a friend's son and he drove it for another 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:

Very cool. You can get some power out of those cars. The only problem is the rest of the car begins to break once you do that.

I had an 84 Capri RS 5.0. I had Davenport build the engine to over 300 hp....also added a 100hp NOS kit. It was so much fun back in the days of my youth. The only problem is I kept breaking transmissions, differentials, motor mounts...etc

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 11:48 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Anyway, just so I don't feel left out, My car can now join the skyline in the background group, taken just yesterday:
Your tires are pointed the wrong way...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:22 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
The guy who previously had the 3.2L we swapped in dynoed at something like 400-450 at the wheels....it was scary fast and would give my dad's slightly modified STS-V a run for its money....but he didn't upgrade his differential and it exploded after a couple thousand kms.

I'm aiming for something around 350. Not willing to jeopardize realibility for performance just yet....
Sounds like a typical Jeremy Clarkson mod. The guy must have been thinking about nothing but POWERRRRRR without doing some James May engineering. Yours will be smarter and more civilized, but 350 is still a lot for a front wheel drive vehicle. The torque steer from that is going to be delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
No, they're not. If something catastrophic happens to the parking brake and the parking pawl in the transmission (omit the latter if a manual), then the car will roll back and the front wheels will catch on the curb before it goes anywhere. If they were pointed the other way, the nose would swing into the street and the car behind would likely bear the brunt of it.

Speaking of tires, I just checked my winters and they almost failed the penny test, but were fine when I put them on in early December. Christ that soft rubber wears out quickly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 4:07 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
go back to driver's ED, kid

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:06 AM
Community Guy

Haha yup. That is driver 101.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 12:20 PM

What kind of license plate is that on the Neon? Looks like Nevada, not BC.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:32 PM
I am a typical

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:39 PM
Here and There

LOL!! It's Manitoba!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What kind of license plate is that on the Neon? Looks like Nevada, not BC.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:41 PM
Here and There

fo SHO!!!! I used to love these cars.....well, i still do. The Taurus from that series seems invincible. There is one on my street (in Calgary) in black that is in awesome shape as well.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
LOL!! It's Manitoba!!!!
Pretty sure it's the BC 2010 Winter Games license plate.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Pretty sure it's the BC 2010 Winter Games license plate.
Yup. It's BC, not Manitoba.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
LOL!! It's Manitoba!!!!
It was clearly not a standard license plate from any Canadian province... (which is why I had to ask.)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It was clearly not a standard license plate from any Canadian province... (which is why I had to ask.)
It was a limited run license plate for the Olympics, as mentioned above. After only ever having the Alberta white one all my adult life, I wanted something a little jazzier when I moved here, but that's just me. Some BCers hate them but I found the standard BC ones a little too plain.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:14 AM

The standard BC plates are a thing of beauty!

Saskatchewan and Alberta have sweet plates too.

I'm a license plate junkie.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:26 AM
I am a typical

The Ontario plate at this point is so plain compared to the others that it stands out. But then we have this conception that plates from Manitoba and Minnesota are really cartoony, and make the car look less serious. Ontario plates are elegant in their simplicity.

I would like it if you could get them in various colours, like if you have a brown car, you could get a plate with brown lettering, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada