HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:08 AM

A pretty small project, but Observatory Hill is kicking off a $1.7 million restoration of two abandoned structures in its "Five Points" business district.

I wish them the best of luck, but I'm still a bit leery of the idea of an Observatory Hill turnaround. When I first moved here it seemed like there was a pretty strong preservationist community who had moved into and restored a lot of the grand houses, but neighborhood improvement has stalled - even reversed - since then. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but Pittsburgh's still not a strong enough metro for every neighborhood with a walkable core to head in the right direction.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:48 AM

I found this presentation of the produce terminal redevelopment that went before the URA in March. It has some additional information and renderings I haven't seen before:

https://www.ura.org/media/W1siZiIsIj...ion_030818.pdf

Also, while unrelated, I drove to Sq. Hill this past weekend and the apartment complex that was being spearheaded by Herky Pollack is well under construction with all the steel in place and topped out. Had no clue it had broken ground

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
True, but I'd attribute the high cost of light rail in Pittsburgh to low ridership - only 27,000 or so daily riders on 26 miles of track. Those numbers might make sense for a commuter rail, but not for light rail with multiple stops. Looking at a map, there just isn't sufficient density to really justify light rail service south of Mt. Lebanon. Not to say people in the South Hills don't deserve transit access, but just imagine what we could do with the money spent on service and maintenance for those lines. There'd be a lot less hemming and hawing over a half-measure BRT to Oakland.
I don't disagree, but I do think that is related to topography making it difficult to develop densely and continuously.

I'm not sure I would just shut down the T, though, because it is so hard to get any sort of replacement capital funding. But still, you can see the benefit to Pittsburgh of things like the East Busway, which provides a core piece of infrastructure in a strategic location that many different routes can share. And the new BRT from Downtown to Squirrel Hill will now (after the redesign) be similar--routes fanning out throughout the eastern part of the system will be using it, not just the buses going back and forth along that Downtown-Squirrel Hill part.

Last edited by BrianTH; Jun 5, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
If only there were some form of transit that could overcome many of the core's topographical challenges at a compartively low maintenance cost...
I know, right?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:42 AM

The Millvale Ecodistrict is being expanded to Etna and Sharpsburg in the form of the Triboro Ecodistrict, with $2.3 million in funding to start for various projects:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/envir...art-education/

Quote:
The project, in the works since late 2016, is a project of New Sun Rising, Etna Economic Development Corporation, and the Sharpsburg Neighborhood Organization, with support from sustainable architecture and consulting firm evolveEA. Brittany Reno, executive director of the Sharpsburg Neighborhood Organization, says that it was during those early discussions that all three boroughs recognized that they were facing many of the same issues surrounding equity, sustainability, and the environment.
“Geographically and demographically our communities are very similar,” says Reno, “so it was difficult for each community with about 3500 people each to find funding. So when we looked at how we could make the most impact and do the most good for the most people, combining our efforts and working together seemed like the best way to make a greater impact.”

The funding is split about equally between the three boroughs. Work kicks off this summer with new solar installations at New Sun Rising’s Millvale Moose headquarters, the Garden of Etna, and, pending board approval, the Sharpsburg Community Library. In Sharpsburg, funding will go toward acquisition and build-out for a home for the Sharpsburg Neighborhood Organization. Reno says the space will ensure their longterm financial viability and envisions the building as a “neighborhood hub for sustainability, technology and opportunity.” It will include co-working space, green tech programming, a few affordable housing units and possibly even a retail incubation program. . . . Funding will support free community wi-fi and air quality monitoring in Sharpsburg, provided by Meta Mesh Wireless Communities and DECO Resources, with additional funding coming from Dancing Gnome Craft Brewery and Ketchup City Creative. In Etna, funding will be used to complete construction on the long-anticipated Etna Riverfront Park and complete the Etna portion of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail for eventual connection with the city of Pittsburgh and north to Aspinwall and beyond. Additional grant funding will go toward equitable housing repairs, public art projects, student internships in the solar energy field, and micro-funding for other resident-led projects.

The Triboro Ecodistrict has its roots in Millvale’s nationally-recognized Ecodistrict Pivot Plan, which last year earned a National Planning Achievement Award for environmental planning. (The jury chairman for the awards said that Millvale’s model “should serve as a model for other communities around the country and possibly around the world.”) That grassroots effort, which first began in 2011, serves as the model for community engagement throughout the Triboro Ecodistrict: Etna hosted an inaugural Ecodistrict meeting in March. Sharpsburg began their community vision plan in conjunction with evolveEA some 18 months ago.

“The Triboro EcoDistrict represents a new dream where resident leaders expand the sense of what is possible and work together to create a more inclusive, resilient and brighter today and tomorrow,” wrote New Sun Rising’s EcoDistrict Coordinator, Brian Wolovich. Robert Tuñón, a volunteer with the Etna Community Organization who works as an architect with Rothschild Doyno Collaborative, calls the ecodistrict model “a powerful way to engage citizens to really take ownership of both the planning process and the implementation.” “The Ecodistrict is getting both longtime and newer residents engaged in a conversation about environmental protection, community resiliency and social equity,” he says. “There’s this amazing grassroots movement happening across the Triboro.”
This strikes me as a very smart approach, and hopefully will help a really strategic stretch of river continue to blossom.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
I found this presentation of the produce terminal redevelopment that went before the URA in March. It has some additional information and renderings I haven't seen before
That looks reasonably cool, but it also looks to me like they may have backed off from some of the more ambitious plans to transform Smallman. I'm OK with taking it in steps but I'd still like to see the City really rethink Smallman's potential at some point.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:00 PM

Yesterday, when biking down Butler Street, I passed by the St. Augustine Friary site. The building is set back from the street, but not quite as badly as was mentioned (more like a few feet) although there is a weird kink in the facade mid block for some reason. Perhaps more importantly, there was a sign up on this parking lot that Wylie Holdings was marketing it for development. The Friary selling off this lot for development is a welcome sign, and it's a big enough plot to hold a medium-sized apartment building like Doughboy Square Apartments. A basically complete street wall from Doughboy Square to at least 40th within a decade is looking more and more likely.

Quote:
I found this presentation of the produce terminal redevelopment that went before the URA in March. It has some additional information and renderings I haven't seen before:

I just found out - unfortunately while biking home yesterday - the street improvements on Smallman have begun. Word to the wise, there's nowhere for bikes to travel on Smallman any longer, since it's been temporarily narrowed to a narrow two-lane street. I suppose I'll have to bike on Spring Way on the way back home for awhile.

Quote:
Also, while unrelated, I drove to Sq. Hill this past weekend and the apartment complex that was being spearheaded by Herky Pollack is well under construction with all the steel in place and topped out. Had no clue it had broken ground
Are you sure it's not the senior apartment? IIRC, the senior apartment (an Action Housing project) was set back from the corner on Murray Avenue. In contrast, the market-rate apartment was supposed to be right on the corner, and required the demolition of a few of the existing buildings on Forward.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A pretty small project, but Observatory Hill is kicking off a $1.7 million restoration of two abandoned structures in its "Five Points" business district.

I wish them the best of luck, but I'm still a bit leery of the idea of an Observatory Hill turnaround. When I first moved here it seemed like there was a pretty strong preservationist community who had moved into and restored a lot of the grand houses, but neighborhood improvement has stalled - even reversed - since then. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but Pittsburgh's still not a strong enough metro for every neighborhood with a walkable core to head in the right direction.
Yeah, this area is a tough one... it could be a really cool little hub for the surrounding neighborhood, but it seems rather isolated to pull in substantial-enough commerce from elsewhere. And obviously much of the surrounding neighborhood that could potentially support it is poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Millvale Ecodistrict is being expanded to Etna and Sharpsburg in the form of the Triboro Ecodistrict, with $2.3 million in funding to start for various projects:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/envir...art-education/

This strikes me as a very smart approach, and hopefully will help a really strategic stretch of river continue to blossom.
Not crazy about their branding with 'Triboro', but good to see this happening.

Quote:
Are you sure it's not the senior apartment? IIRC, the senior apartment (an Action Housing project) was set back from the corner on Murray Avenue. In contrast, the market-rate apartment was supposed to be right on the corner, and required the demolition of a few of the existing buildings on Forward.
It is the senior apartment development on Murray, not the development on Forward.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:56 PM

The 6/7 ZBA agenda has appeared online, which is good, but a bit weird because the agendas for next week and the week after were already posted. Mostly small projects this week like signs, generators, and parking pads. The only interesting thing this week is the proposed urban agriculture project for the former site of St. Clair Village appears to be moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, this area is a tough one... it could be a really cool little hub for the surrounding neighborhood, but it seems rather isolated to pull in substantial-enough commerce from elsewhere. And obviously much of the surrounding neighborhood that could potentially support it is poor.
Observatory Hill hasn't been that poor historically. It was a a middle-class neighborhood, as I said, with some signs of residential revitalization due to a strong community of preservationists who bought and restored many of the grand houses.

That said, Observatory Hill has been pretty clearly, as I said, headed in the wrong direction. Basically something had to give, what with the gentrification of the Lower Northside and the high number of units which continue to be lost due to blight/abandonment in areas like Perry Hilltop, California-Kirkbride, and to a lesser extent Fineview. In addition, the ill-thought out closure of Oliver HS, which resulted in the movement of the entire student body to Perry HS (which formerly housed a magnet HS program) probably didn't help the local business district. The stabilization of Brighton Heights, while good for that neighborhood, hasn't helped either. I think the last straw was a few years back when Mandy's Pizza closed its branch in the Five Points business district after repeated robberies.

To be clear, Observatory Hill is not a Knoxville or Sheraden. It's not in a quick downward spiral into becoming one of Pittsburgh's emerging ghetto neighborhoods. But local demand isn't high enough to lift the entire North Side, and not enough units of affordable housing are being built in the North Side in general, which means people are being displaced outward disproportionately into Observatory Hill.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:

You can see the steel skeleton and the construction crane from the Parkway East just as you enter/exit the Squirrel Hill Tunnel.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:02 PM

I hate to break the Business Time's paywall yet again, but they have a very interesting...and saddening...article about the proposed demolition of Holy Family Church:

Quote:
The owner of the former Holy Family Church property in the ninth ward of Lawrenceville has posted a demolition notice on the church in advance of a proposed sale and residential redevelopment

According to a posted sign in a window of the main church building, owner 44th & Summit Development LLC, an affiliate of Lawrenceville-based E Properties and Development, filed a notice of intent to demolish the church building on May 29; the Pittsburgh Department of Licensing, Permits and Inspection requires a mandatory 15-day waiting period before a demolition can go forward.

The move to demolish the church comes after years of effort to redevelop the property by a partnership affiliated with E Properties that included zoning approval for an apartment conversion as well as a legal challenge. The move also comes with the expressed disappointment of two of Lawrenceville’s leading community organizations, who are concerned about losing what they say is an historic church and sanctuary with long-established roots in the neighborhood.

Emeka Onwugbenu, CEO of E Properties, said the decision to demolish the church has been a painful one for him that comes after six years of attempts to redevelop and later sell the property.

“I”m a practicing Catholic. I take my faith very seriously. So from the outset, it wasn’t an option,” he said of how his thinking has shifted over the decision to demolish the church.

“We went through the process and looked at different options,” he said, noting the apartment conversion plan, an office project as well as one prospect of moving a new school into the property.

But he expects costs for such items as construction and asbestos abatement for a property that’s badly deteriorated makes it too much of a challenge to restore and convert to another use now.

“We have been very patient with the process,” he said. “But after six years, I had no other option.”

The property includes the main church and a former school, both of which were closed by the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh at the end of 2008 and eventually sold and subject to a variety of development plans since.

The affiliate of E Properties was granted approval for a 57-apartment conversion project for Holy Family in 2013, and the firm closed on buying it in 2014. The company pursued the plan and others until 2016, when it opted to put the property back up for sale.

Matthew Galluzzo, executive director of Lawrenceville Corp., which focuses on development, and Dave Breingan, executive director of Lawrenceville United, an organization focused more directly on resident concerns, met with Onwugbenu this week and discussed the demolition notice, among other issues.

Both expressed disappointment with the plan.

Galluzzo said he was 100 percent opposed to demolishing the church, although he was open to the possibility of razing the school building.

“Historically and currently, our organization values the preservation of the authenticity of place, ensuring that properties that contribute to the historic character of this neighborhood are valued,” he said. “I cannot overstate how disappointed we are that a demolition permit has been filed for this property."

In terms of the property’s historic value, Galluzzo described the church as a “hulking structure in the middle of the neighborhood” that’s more than 50 years old as well as part of the neighborhood’s fabric.

Breingan expected more immediate notice of the demolition posting and sees the decision as a violation of trust.

“We expressed very clearly to him that this from our standpoint is a violation of what we thought his commitment to the neighborhood was,” said Breingan of Unwugbenu.

Breingan described the church as an iconic presence for Lawrenceville and said “we repeatedly stressed that’s an important building for the neighborhood.”

Galluzzo and Breingan didn’t comment on or commit to any plans they might have to oppose the demolition.

The disagreement over the proposed demolition of the Holy Family Church is the latest flashpoint over preservation in a Lawrenceville that is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods full of historic 19th century building stock as well as a hot market for development.

Currently, the property is being marketed by KW Commercial, whose sign on the church refers to it as “an approved building site” and characterizes the location of the 1.5 acre parcel as in “one of Pennsylvania’s hottest markets.”

The site is a block above Butler Street and behind Arsenal Bowl, the neighborhood’s bowling alley, and is a short walk up the hill from Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.

Bolstered by the new robotics industry setting up in the neighborhood and the nearby Strip District, which is drawing in hundreds of new well-paid employees, Lawrenceville’s housing market has heated up dramatically in recent years. Homes there often sell for five times or more what they would've five or ten years ago, spurring ample infill housing construction and prices that typically reach well above $400,000.

Onwugbenu is based in Lawrenceville and has developed other projects there. His largest is the McCleary School Condos in the neighborhood’s tenth ward.

Onwugbenu said that the property is under agreement and that the sale going through is contingent on the demolition, adding he expects the plan will be for new townhouses.

After six years of efforts, Onwugbenu believes he’s exhausted his options for converting the church building that he now expects to lose money on the sale, given the time, effort and expense, as well as legal fees, of attempting to redevelop it.

A number of sources familiar with the plan who spoke anonymously to maintain their business relationships indicate that Toronto-based Craft Development Corp. has been considering an acquisition of the Holy Family property for a potential townhouse development.

Larry Regan, director of development for Craft, declined comment.

Craft is currently developing the Mews on Butler, a 68-townhouse project on a nearly three-acre site across from the Lawrenceville Shopping Center in the neighborhood’s tenth ward, for which Regan said the company is working through its pre-sale process and hopes to begin construction in the next 60 to 90 days.

KW Commercial has listed the property for sale at a price of $2 million, although it remains to be determined what a final sale price will be; Unwugbenu’s group paid $800,000 for the property nearly four years.

With the buildings no longer heated or having electrical service, he added they are now attracting vagrants and negative activity, calling the buildings in the current state a drain on the neighborhood.

“I’m worried that, God forbid, something bad might happen,” he said, arguing the neighborhood will be better off to have the site cleared for something new. “What I don’t want to happen is to drag our feet on this.”

The demolition notice’s 15-day waiting period on the church is expected to conclude next week.
This is a textbook case of how NIMBYism fucks things up. There was a plan in place for a residential conversion which would have saved the buildings when the developer first got involved. NIMBYs litigated the process for various reasons (racism, parking concerns, etc) ultimately getting the variance for multi-family reduced until it was no longer cost-effective for E Properties to even do the project. Now the buildings will be knocked down, and worse, rather than build the 57-unit multifamily project which the variance allows for, we'll only have townhouses here. Exact count will of course vary based upon the width of the townhouses, and whether they build a row on Summit St, but probably no more than 40, and possibly as few as 24.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

Fucking moronic

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Fucking moronic
I still lived in Lawrenceville when the project's development process started, and my wife went to a few of the community meetings. There was a lot of hostility to the developer because he's Nigerian, and the old-timers were racists. They sincerely believed that the project was going to involve bringing in "Section 8" folks into the neighborhood.

There were other elements as well. During the period the church was abandoned, people on the nearby streets had taken to using the lot as free off-street parking, and liked it that way. I dunno which group of "concerned citizens" hired the private lawyer even after it cleared zoning however.

I do have to say I don't think Holy Family Church actually has a lot of architectural merit compared to other churches in the neighborhood, so I won't mourn its loss. But I'm fucking pissed that instead of a relatively high-density multifamily project (which Lawrencville needs more of) we're getting more effin new construction townhouses.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I still lived in Lawrenceville when the project's development process started, and my wife went to a few of the community meetings. There was a lot of hostility to the developer because he's Nigerian, and the old-timers were racists. They sincerely believed that the project was going to involve bringing in "Section 8" folks into the neighborhood.

There were other elements as well. During the period the church was abandoned, people on the nearby streets had taken to using the lot as free off-street parking, and liked it that way. I dunno which group of "concerned citizens" hired the private lawyer even after it cleared zoning however.

I do have to say I don't think Holy Family Church actually has a lot of architectural merit compared to other churches in the neighborhood, so I won't mourn its loss. But I'm fucking pissed that instead of a relatively high-density multifamily project (which Lawrencville needs more of) we're getting more effin new construction townhouses.

So the efforts of the NIMBYS backfired? ugh.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
So the efforts of the NIMBYS backfired? ugh.
I mean, it's not unlike what has been unfolding with the Garden Block on the North Side, where a single NIMBY (who doesn't even live in the state - he's an absentee homeowner who lives in NYC) litigated to block the project, and now it's likely that all the historic buildings will be lost.

Basically, as a NIMBY you can use the zoning code to stop something from happening you don't want. But you can't use it to make what you want to happen occur. Everyone always seems to forget that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

Talking about the garden block, just what the hell is going on with the theater? It's been semi finished for a couple years now but still nothing is going in it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:39 PM

Pennley Park is heading back to court over the height limit and community room requirement the Planning Commission imposed when granting approval:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201806060158

I'm not an expert in this field but those conditions always sounded very fishy to me and I suspect the developer may win in court.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Talking about the garden block, just what the hell is going on with the theater? It's been semi finished for a couple years now but still nothing is going in it.
The original developer really botched the building. While they restored the entrance, they demolished the entire back half to allow for a tiny rear parking area. Trek actually owns the building now, and appears to be attempting to lease it out as restaurant or retail space, but even with the success of the Bradbury next door, I can't imagine it's easy trying to find a tenant when a building is immediately adjacent to several abandoned buildings in imminent risk of collapse.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:26 PM

6/28 ZBA up. Items of interest.

1. Conversion of this building on Butler Street in Lower Lawrenceville into a four-story office building with ground floor retail and an integral parking garage. Earlier attempts at conversion in 2014 went nowhere, but I'm hopeful that this will go somewhere, because the south side of this block being a "dead edge" has always been problematic. The variances asked for seem to be comparably minor.

2. Request for an art studio on a back street in South Side Flats.

3. A new community center taking up many vacant lots off of Broad Street in Garfield.

There should be a planning commission presentation landing late this afternoon.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:36 PM

That part of Lawrenceville is really getting its issues addressed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations