4 4 12.12%
5 7 21.21%
6 2 6.06%
7 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:04 PM
i like stuff

1. I'm lazy and busy, I actually made this just so there could be more entry's
2. Renders look fantastic. Aspects of the design are amazing but together I didn't really like the overall composition.
3. This one got my vote. I like the colors, shape and renders. It is a little on the bulky side for its height that is my only critique about it.
4. The top is nice and has a lot of details and so does the bottom but every where in between is pretty boring
5. pretty good design to sharp for my taste though. That shot over Beijing looks crazy cool though.
6. Seems very efficient and the shape isn't bad. The facade is pretty boring and the renders could use some work though.
7. Futuristic evil sci-fi building. It kind of scares me actually. Oh and the palm tree at the base provides a nice touch.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 8:20 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Hmmm. Had a lot of trouble deciding between 4 + 5, but I ultimatly went for the detailing of #4.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:12 PM
Closed account

So far it looks like #3 is gonna win.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 12:12 AM
Dare Mighty Things

I really regret not entering...I was at first stuck on an idea for an all glass highrise in Miami, but now that the contest is over, I got this really kickin idea of an art-deco inspired megastructure for New York City. Gahhhh!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 1:35 AM
Total Egghead

Number 3 is definitely my favorite.

I'd love to do the competition, but working on my other supertall project.

I like all the concepts.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 1:44 AM

If your going to completly ruin the human scale of a city, might as well do it in style. No5.

what is the blacked out building on the far left side of that diagram under No.2?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 4:09 PM
World Machine

Kind of disappointed with the designs all around; they all came off ‘cartoony’ so to speak with no real effort to invoke realism.

1.I really couldn’t even get a true picture of the dynamics of the building.
2.Looks like a couple a fancy candlesticks you’d find in an uppity restaurant.
3.Perhaps the most realistic of the bunch, but the whole concept ‘going green’ is becoming utterly boring and repetitive.
4.Looks like something you’d find in a 2050 Moscow if the Soviet Union were still in effect; or from the film Equilibrium.
5.Hopefully we never get to the point where things such as that are visible in skylines.
6.Nice, but a carbon copy of things I’ve seen on an old Discovery Channel show ‘Megastructures’; hence no real originality.
7.In the words of tennis legend Johnny McEnroe: ‘YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!’

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 5:11 PM
Closed account

Here is my review of the buildings:

1.Looks nice and all, but not really any "green works" and maybe a couple of more pics. Nice try though
2.I really think they tried way too hard on this. You can't possibly think this could be built! Beautful details!
3. one of the best on here.Maybe a little more less on the "green" and more on the building.It also looks kinda boring.
4.Like MikeR said I love the top and the middle but everything else pretty much blends in.
5.Way too much for me. Good details.
6.This one is my favorite. I like the design and how it fits in. Though it looks a lot like SkyCity.It also took some of its name.
7. There is too much on it and I don't the the top part of it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:56 PM
i like stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Kind of disappointed with the designs all around; they all came off ‘cartoony’ so to speak with no real effort to invoke realism.

1.I really couldn’t even get a true picture of the dynamics of the building.
2.Looks like a couple a fancy candlesticks you’d find in an uppity restaurant.
3.Perhaps the most realistic of the bunch, but the whole concept ‘going green’ is becoming utterly boring and repetitive.
4.Looks like something you’d find in a 2050 Moscow if the Soviet Union were still in effect; or from the film Equilibrium.
5.Hopefully we never get to the point where things such as that are visible in skylines.
6.Nice, but a carbon copy of things I’ve seen on an old Discovery Channel show ‘Megastructures’; hence no real originality.
7.In the words of tennis legend Johnny McEnroe: ‘YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!’
Damn Dac you seems like your in a good mood today
Obviously none of them are 3000 foot international style boxes so of course your not going to be happy with the designs

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
World Machine

Haha, moods just fine mike, but I’m not going to pretend to like these designs for the sake of preventing anyone from getting teary eyed. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind; there isn’t a Mona Lisa amongst the bunch here, we all know that.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 12:01 AM

well your honest in your opinion dac.
but what seemed at first like an easy comp turned
out to be probaly the most difficult..modeling something
so tall aint easy so well done to all efforts

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 8:56 AM

I didn't manage to vote on time, but my vote would have gone to no. 5, bringing this competition to a tie. No. 3 looked really realistic, but somehow it didn't feel like it was almost a kilometer high. More like 300 meters.

Anyways, great entries, everyone!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 10:17 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow, already closed? I didn't think 5 days would go so fast... should I open it for 2 more days?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Wow, already closed? I didn't think 5 days would go so fast... should I open it for 2 more days?
I think the majority of people who were going to vote have voted. Can we just discuss how we did now?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 11:59 PM

Assuming that the competition is actually over, I am going to talk about my piece. I lost pretty bad so it doesn't matter if I get disqualified if Aleks restarts voting, so I will just say that I put in entry number four.

I aimed for a massive Art Deco work with mine. I learned a lot about general construction techniques with this project, you can actually glimpse some curtains I managed to make myself in the main lobby.

My biggest issue with this project was my own technical limitation. Kerkythea would not render it with the amount of lights I put in it, so I had to change render settings and reduce the number of spot lights.

The crown was actually going to have a brilliant stainless steel top, but it wouldn't render right. Neither would silver. Was really annoying that Kerky didn't want to do what I wanted.

I couldn't think of what to put towards the middle of the tower. I should have probably added more "tiers" to it.

Edit: However, I think I did way better with this comp compared to the last comp I was in.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 12:12 AM
World Machine

I just think the designs in general didn’t seem to strike any realism; they seemed to stem more off of fantasy. None of them looked really rushed, minus a couple, but by and large it seems that much time was dedicated to them.

Krases, the detail in yours was actually quite well thought out, but the killer was the proportions. I agree with your point; more setbacks might have done it more justice.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Krases, the detail in yours was actually quite well thought out, but the killer was the proportions. I agree with your point; more setbacks might have done it more justice.
Yeah I think if I had more stuff to simply express scale better it would have helped. I actually had an idea in which I would place a grand neon-decorated shopping area inside.

The only part I admit to rushing was the stairs around the base and the canopys. I was running out of time and just couldn't come up with a good idea, but I needed something.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 2:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Alright then! I'll contact the winner and announce him on the next comp!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:05 AM

Just wanted to say it was cool to be in the comp, my first time! Hopefully I can find time in my studies to participate again sometime. Cheers from #2.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 8:30 AM
nuttin

Congrats to burjdubai91 , Looks like there is at least 160 floors there so it does hit the height mark.

Some points on my model -

This IS what you will be seeing in the future- future = fantasy !
I don't like it either but in 10 years or so when a new WTB is built it will probably be attractive.

Practicality ? I PUT IN FLOORPLANS !!!!

Actually i made it so real that i am going to continue to work on it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mocholate; Nov 23, 2009 at 8:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup