HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't know if you can copy colors. I had the same problem too at first. Now I just import the model with the color I want into the model I'm going to color. When I import it I just open the paint bucket tool and use the eye-drop tool thingy. Then paint the model. Then just erase the model you imported and the color will stay in the model you're currently working on.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I don't know if you can copy colors. I had the same problem too at first. Now I just import the model with the color I want into the model I'm going to color. When I import it I just open the paint bucket tool and use the eye-drop tool thingy. Then paint the model. Then just erase the model you imported and the color will stay in the model you're currently working on.
Yeah, that should work. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 5:29 PM

Wink

Hi

How can I turn off the Auto Save? It's so annoing because every 2 minutes the Program stops and i can't do anything.

thx for answers

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 2:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

Ok, say I wanted to make a building with columns, how do i space the columns exactly the same distance apart from each other? The same thing applies to windows and the like, how do I properly distance them so they are correctly centered and distanced from each other?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Ok, say I wanted to make a building with columns, how do i space the columns exactly the same distance apart from each other? The same thing applies to windows and the like, how do I properly distance them so they are correctly centered and distanced from each other?

When you move something with "M", you can type while you hold it. In the bottom right corner you'll see what you type. So if you want something spaced 10 meters apart, select the original element, perss "M" to bring up the move tool, then hold CTRL while you drag it. I think that activates the copy function(it could be CTRL+ALT or CTRL+SHIFT) anyway, you'll see that you have two instances. While holding the mouse down, type "10". It should appear in the bottom right corner. Then press enter. If everything went right you now have two columns. Then, without clicking on something, type "*5" and you get 5 instances. Hope that wasn't too muddled.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 4:59 AM
Ex Houstonian

How do I reset the settings? Everything got screwed up somehow, a lot of the tools dont work like they were before and when I use the tool that allows you to move the composition around while looking at the model somehow got inverted or something so I cant use it like I did before. So how do I reset the settings to the original settings? Thanks

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 6:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ok well no one answers questions around here but oh well, Ive got another one and I hope someone answers it.

Why when I transfer components onto a building does the component or something come out on the outside of the building like so? Please answer because its making the process of doing windows ridiculously hard. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well I'm working on a house and I want to finish it this time. I really love modeling houses but whenever I have an idea there's something wrong with it. I don't plan it long enough. I also don't like my renderings. But I downloaded a whole bunch of textures yesterday and the bad rendering era is over, I think. All I need are good models to render.

Here's two shots of a house I started to work on but didn't finish. I can never get my houses to feel modern and warm at the same time!! I don't want a cold, white, metal house. But something with lots of wood but modern at the same time. Anyways...

This rendering was fixed on Photoshop, just colors though:

And I added lights to this one, also on Photoshop:

Which one looks better? Should I just add lights from Kerkythea? Or add some on Photoshop? I don't have any renders with Kerk lights but I'll make one soon.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 4:19 AM
nuttin

Hey, nice one,

The lights are fun to use but gee they take a long time to renders.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:18 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yes, and that render took a while without lights. That's why I just added stoplights on Photoshop. I also don't like that the Kerk lights don't really look like lights. Shadow edges are lines, they don't fade out like real shadows. It's the same with lights, the lights don't eventually fade out but leave a straight line. I tried making my own lights using the Lights textures but it didn't work either.

I'll see what I can do...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 7:59 PM
Ex Houstonian

Could somebody please tell me whats up with this. When I use textures on sketchup and then get close to the model random black angular shadows start showing up. I had to take a picture of my screen because when i downloaded the photo from the program the lines would go away. Its really annoying and is kinda screwing up my models.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 2:59 AM

Could someone possibly fill in the missing images on this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
People were wondering how you get this wavy effect with sketchup so I made this tutorial:

1: Make a box.

2: Create some simple balconies like this:

3: For this we’ll just use a simple pattern so one curve per side. Let’s say we want the building to bulge in the middle, then we start with a curve pointing inwards like this. Create one at the bottom and at the top:

4: You need 3 points to define curves properly in sketchup so create 2 lines up the side, then a curve in the middle as shown.

5: Now make a curve for each floor, the end-points and midpoint joining up as shown:

6: Once you’ve done that get rid of the excess lines

7: Select the existing curves, then copy, paste and rotate them as shown.

8: Attach them to the building:

9: Get rid of the square portions of the balconies:

10: Optional step, spice it up if you want. Add some depth to the balconies.

I REALLY want to know how to do more complex versions of this.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:24 PM
low-riding

im sure this is totally basic, but how do you put up Billboards and Signs atop towers to name them? Logos or such. Im on a mac. thanks

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:49 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
im sure this is totally basic, but how do you put up Billboards and Signs atop towers to name them? Logos or such. Im on a mac. thanks
There is an application tool called '3D Text'. If you want logos outside the google sketch-up source I'm sure you'll have to use a variation of photoshop. I've never used it, but I know Patrick has for his billboards in Staunton.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:09 PM
low-riding

cool thanks. i'll try that 3d text when i get home

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:11 PM

Hi. i'm new to sketchup.

I want to make a city on it but i just finish my first building (less than 200meters) and it's lagging as hell and my video card is one of the best that is realease yet.

Any idea?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:43 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarnage View Post
Hi. i'm new to sketchup.

I want to make a city on it but i just finish my first building (less than 200meters) and it's lagging as hell and my video card is one of the best that is realease yet.

Any idea?
That's very common, infact it happens to me every time I make a detailed building (highrise or not). I don't know the exact cause, and my new (fairly empty hardrive) hasn't helped in eliminating lag. All I can say is you're not alone, but if anyone else has some idea I'd love to hear it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:12 PM

its just slower on certain computers.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:31 PM
World Machine

Well I use a laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300), so maybe that expalins why it's that way for me(?).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:31 PM

My stats
Microsoft Media edition 2005 by HP
200GB harddrive
1.0GB memory

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup