HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
O god, "Plenty of parking"...I'm preparing for the worst. Good thing the Nimby's destroyed that legit proposal from a few years back!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:56 PM
The City

^ My guess is that parking is vertical if it's a 4 or 5 story development. Perhaps retail/grocer on the first level with parking above? It still sucks, but vertical parking is still better than surface parking..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:58 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Calumet Photo Shuts Down All US Operations

According to Crain's Chicago Business, Calumet Photo filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on Thursday, shuttering all of its US stores as well as its website. Employees learned of the closures when they showed up yesterday for work. Link

With Helix shuttered as well, that leaves Central Camera as Chicago's only "serious" photography store?

(Edit: Calumet's European stores will remain open)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ My guess is that parking is vertical if it's a 4 or 5 story development. Perhaps retail/grocer on the first level with parking above? It still sucks, but vertical parking is still better than surface parking..
My take though, is that the area is already well-served by grocers at this point...lets see, Trader Joes, Walmart Market, Market on diversey, a jewel up on broadway, and a whole foods on halsted...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
My take though, is that the area is already well-served by grocers at this point...lets see, Trader Joes, Walmart Market, Market on diversey, a jewel up on broadway, and a whole foods on halsted...
I disagree. The Jewel and Whole Foods up near Addison are a bit of a hike for people without cars. The area full of highrises along Sheridan just to the east of here is full of people that don't drive. Market Place on Diversey will be dead by the end of the year (turns out you can't charge $7 for a box of Cheerios). Trader Joe's is alright but is still lacking on perishable goods and it can get overwhelmingly packed. And Walmart... well it just sucks. What would be great here would be a Mariano's or a big-ass Gene's.

What I think the neighborhood desperately needs is a decent butcher. If I had any experience in that, I'd open one up myself.

Also, wasn't this section of Broadway recommended for being shut off for exclusively pedestrian use by that report that came out a few weeks back? I figured it would be a long shot with the two surface lots and parking garage all on this strip but it would be nice.

Last edited by DonMendigo; Mar 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:17 PM

Today
Various Michigan Ave. Renovations and Demolitions.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:50 PM

Grand, milwaukee, halsted??????

when is this going to break ground.

I can't stand that damn blue warehouse anymore!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:51 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
$2.4 million of your and my tax dollars just to study how to repurpose a building and some surrounding land is nothing short of a SCANDAL
So what reuse do you think is blindingly obvious? Hell, what reuse do you think is financially feasible in that location?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Please save this facade

May 2011
Amen!!! It always amazed me at how fast people wanted to tear this building down without thought. Atleast the facade should be saved.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
So what reuse do you think is blindingly obvious? Hell, what reuse do you think is financially feasible in that location?
Apartments. There is a glaring shortage of decent housing in the immediate vincinty of the IMD. I actually researched it looking for comps for another project I was working on and in october of last year Medical District Apartments and that other complex were both 100% occupied and leased solid for 3 to 4 months into the future.

Maybe it has a ghost problem, but doctors and nurses probably are the last people who would be afraid of ghosts being in an old hospital since they are in a hospital with people dying around them all day every day anyhow.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 11:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Why are you asking me?

My issue is with the criminal $2.4 million figure. What planet are visiting us from to not be bewildered by that cost?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:31 AM

I know exactly what should be done with it. I have a perfect plan for what to do with it that will save jobs, improve the community, and decrease the school dropout rate. And I'll tell you all exactly what it is. For 2.3 million dollars.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:00 AM

Massive Wave of Exciting Infill

Did anyone else see this trio of hotness on Curbed today?

560 N Western

panopticgroup.com

2424 W Grand

panopticgroup.com

panopticgroup.com

panopticgroup.com

701 N Western

panopticgroup.com

These are by Panoptic Group and will all be LEED certified or better. This is the same company behind this development which recently broke ground at Damen and Augusta:

redfin.com

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:04 AM

Also ripped from Curbed, Northwestern is about to break ground on this Perkins and Will beauty in Evanston:

chicago.curbed.com

Apparently it is their new athletic facility. Why can't they stop building turd city downtown when they keep churning out good designs up North? Apparently this one comes with a private beach for students judging by the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:08 AM

Another Curbed post from today. Plans for renovating the Fullerton State Bank which has sat empty for years. They are converting it to apartments:

chicago.curbed.com

Lots of good stuff coming out of the woodwork today.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Did anyone else see this trio of hotness on Curbed today?

560 N Western

panopticgroup.com

Did no one see my post on Curbed today?

Quote:
Take it with a grain of salt. The rectilinear building pictured is a completed project by Works Partnership Architecture in Portland called "bSIDE6"
You can find it here: http://worksarchitecture.net/projects/bside6/
Calling it a project of their own, and using copyrighted images on their website without recognition of the current owners, architects, photographer... or anyone else is illegal.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Did no one see my post on Curbed today?
Hey there, I figured I'd address this on here instead of on Curbed... So yeah, it's certainly a bit... odd, that these images/renderings would surface from other projects/developments in other cities (and countries for that matter). However, I've asked the developer for some clarification about where the designs came from, and whether they were purchased or perhaps lifted. After all, the green glass/spacey looking building appears to have come from a design competition so you never know what arrangement was made. I agree something seems a bit off, but I can't start pointing fingers and making claims of architectural plagiarism without getting the complete story (and we're working on getting the whole story here)

Anywho, this is my first post on SSP, so hello everyone! I hope to post more and lurk less.

AJ

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:57 PM

^Welcome

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:35 PM
you know where I'll be

^^^ Believe it or not, the Portland building is actually offices......it gained some national recognition.....written up in Architectural Record a few years back....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Why are you asking me?

My issue is with the criminal $2.4 million figure. What planet are visiting us from to not be bewildered by that cost?

Agreed on the cost......a study for maybe $300,000-$500,000 might make sense here.....and certainly not 'anybody in real estate can figure this one out, it's so obvious, etc' - that's just silly....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development