HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Funny you should say that ......

March 1

soil tester there?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 5:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
WPS is going to be a monster from that view. Please sneak into this cycle.
Why would it need to "sneak into this cycle"?

With a 500,000 sf signed tenant, there will be no 'sneaking'

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 5:30 PM

I was also going to ask if that black thing was a soil tester for WPS.

Are they going to wait until WPE is completed (or at least topped out) before starting?

In other news, I can see about 5 floors of WPE from my balcony now, going to look very sharp once the glass catches up!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
I was also going to ask if that black thing was a soil tester for WPS.

Are they going to wait until WPE is completed (or at least topped out) before starting?

In other news, I can see about 5 floors of WPE from my balcony now, going to look very sharp once the glass catches up!
Sure looks like a coring rig (not micropiles) - It appears that there is an initial survey to determine the strata (already done ?) and then a second run closer to start to check for obstructions on each caisson place.

Anybody know if this is correct ?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Sure looks like a coring rig (not micropiles) - It appears that there is an initial survey to determine the strata (already done ?) and then a second run closer to start to check for obstructions on each caisson place.

Anybody know if this is correct ?
I'd say it is more likely that either these are the initial borings or the Office of Underground Construction (OUC) has asked for additional borings at the actual locations of any rock caissons. Obstructions usually occur in the top 10' of soil and are cleared by potholing which is when an excavator digs out and clears the top 10' (urban fill layer) of soil of any obstructions. You can hit obstructions as you go down, but those are not located by coring rigs.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 10:34 PM

March 5

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 10:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ and the apparell center drifts into the anonymity of background building status, exactly where it should have been from the start.

lovely shot!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 2:15 AM

Isn’t the carve out section happening soon? It seemed to be around the height of WPW

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Something like Equinox/725 W. Randolph for Fulton/Canal to close the gap between River Point and 333 N. Canal would be perfect for providing depth from the vantage point above. I would like to see that whole wedge shaped site demoed then redeveloped with something tall peaking over Riverpoint but even a 600'+ tower for the surface lot would suffice for depth's sake.
Depending on what wedge shaped site you are referring to, probably never going to happen. The part along the river is capping tracks that can't be built on for the most part, and if you are talking about the site on the other side of Canal there, well there are several very old buildings that I'd be surprised to see go, no would I want them to just for the sake of capping the horizon. In fact, as the West side develops, I'd almost prefer keeping the keyhole intact.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:42 PM
Windy City Dan

I think the smoke stack is charming in a very rust belt Chicago way. I say leave it, the low rise buildings along canal are also quite nice, I'd hate to see those go. There's that lot on Canal and Fulton though that is ripe for development, that would fill the gap quite nicely.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:36 PM

Uh can we not talk about demolishing smoke stacks, they are a part of our heritage and certainly not "ugly" now that they aren't belching soot and smoke anymore. What a terrible idea. Plus the one pictured is attached to a very nice old industrial structure which has been adaptively reused. Here's mine:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:14 PM
BANNED

^Very nice, LVDW.

The one at the river confluence is a lovely ode to our industrial past. It deserves its prominent location.

There has been a push at CPS to demolish and cap ALL of their boiler stacks. Likely due to an irrational fear of them falling on kids. Every summer a few more come down. A true shame.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:21 PM

^^^ That is a shame much akin to the loss of all the water towers around town. All the more reason for me to spend the extra dough tuckpointing this one so it hangs around for another generation. They can actually be put to good use, I'm planning on using the one above, which is in a prominent position between mutliple rail lines, to hang signage for passing trains to see. This has been done quite a bit in places like the Clyborn Corridor.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:13 PM
BANNED

^By signage, hopefully you mean old school hand-painted signage!

I can think of a great one along the Clybourn corridor for National Wrecking, a Lumber yard or Pep Boys.. Cant quite recall. Either way, I love it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:40 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/marka/OneDrive/Desktop/%F0%9F%93%8DChicago%20Based%20(@waywelling)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos.html[/IMG]

image courtesy of Way Welling @ Waywelling.com

Hey folks. New here. Love the content here on the best city in the US.

Just wanted to chime in with an opinion about the filling in of "the gap" at the river intersection....HUGE bummer if it were to happen. That "gap" is one of the best elements to the whole river, river walk, East Wacker corridor. The connection to the area beyond is not only symbolic of the cities roots as once flat prairie land, it also provides an enormous influx of late afternoon light. If you'd ever witnessed this area on a summer of fall evening as the sun falls to the horizon and seen the wonderful light that pours through this gap and onto the river, the river walk and the Wacker wall, you'd miss it when its gone. Cheers!

(Not sure if the image will copy here correctly)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:46 AM

^ can anyone advise how to make a photo into a url? It's from Way Wellings Insta account and I tried copying but didn't work apparently. New to this. Thanks.

(It is a great photo he took of the sun setting in "the Gap". Check out his web page under Instagram photo's if you'd like to see it. Kinda supported the above opinion too.)

waywelling.com

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:02 AM

Mar 04

From the ABA

From the El

Mar 05

drill baby drill

Mar 06

From the Ashland station CTA

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:44 AM

Amazing update, harry!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Mar 04

drill baby drill

If WPS can get going this cycle, which looks increasingly likely, than the construction that has happened at the confluence just this cycle is simply amazing. What a transformation.

@Bhawk, good point about the setting sunlight. I have seen that many times but i never even thought about getting blocked till now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 6:26 PM

WPS is going to be one of the most insane "sights" we've seen in awhile when it starts. Given the small area and staging area. I still dont know if they will be able to get big red via barge there since its much more shallow waters than say riverpoint, 151, 110. Anyone got any info on the river bottom at wolf point?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive