HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:17 PM
1st Ward

I believe rooftop helipads are illegal in Chicago (excluding hospitals and emergency services), so if that is one then it would predate the law.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:55 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Is that a helipad above the Hilton, and if so when was the last time it was used?
Quote:
Conrad Suite
  • In 1984, the original Rooftop Ballroom was converted into the Conrad Hilton Suite, the largest suite in the Midwest. It cost $1.6 million to construct and boasts 5,000 total sq ft. of space, occupying two floors (29th and 30th.) Overlooking Grant Park and Lake Michigan, the suite boasts a grand salon with fireplace, dining room for 14 people, library with pool table and bar, a private kitchen, 3 bedrooms with full bathrooms, private helipad, and spacious balcony.
  • The suite is President Bill Clinton’s favorite place to stay in Chicago; he loved the pool table.
  • Other famous guests include: Prime ministers Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher, King Carl Gustau of Sweden, Former Mexican President Vicente Fox, Premier of China, Bono, and John Travolta.
  • Several films and television shows have featured The Conrad Suite, including: The Fugitive, Home Alone 2, E.R., and Boss.
  • The suite underwent a $1.8 million renovated [sic] in early 2013.
http://www.historichotelsworldwide.c...go/history.php

Last edited by Domer2019; Dec 22, 2017 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 2:20 AM

I knew helipads were a big no-no for chicago but seems like a perfect place for politicians and oversea government officials to get to the city from the airports.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
The iron lady stayed there now im impressed!

Thnx for the neat history lesson....

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:48 AM
Show me the blueprints

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Wpiz...itive_25.0.jpg
_

If only the chopper could have landed who knows how it would have turned out...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Dec 25, 2017 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 2:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The iron lady stayed there now im impressed!

Amen to that!

So this is the actual suite they used during Kevin's stay at the "world renowned Plaza Hotel"? That'd be great if of all the suites in NYC, they chose one in Chicago.

Another interesting fact about Home Alone 2: The Rookery Building became Duncan's Toy Chest for the film.

God Bless John Hughes

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Amen to that!

So this is the actual suite they used during Kevin's stay at the "world renowned Plaza Hotel"? That'd be great if of all the suites in NYC, they chose one in Chicago.

Another interesting fact about Home Alone 2: The Rookery Building became Duncan's Toy Chest for the film.

God Bless John Hughes
Yup, Duncan's was the exterior of the rookery, just not the right interior that would have worked out. Except the skylight. Sadly now its just us bank signs on the windows. Hughes always loved to throw chicago love into his art.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Amen to that!

God Bless John Hughes
Its really amazing when you think about the impact that one Director can have on a city. Losing John Hughes was a major loss to Chicago and its image.

To have a guy familiar with Chicago, its culture and its neighborhoods is huge. It can give a city some of the best PR imaginable. Today there is a tendency by Directors to just film downtown, say the movie is set in Chicago, and then shoot the neighborhood scenes for the rest of the movie in someplace like Toronto or Atlanta or LA. Its like they are afraid to get to know the real Chicago. And when they do this the viewer can tell and feel the difference because there is no place quite like Chicago.

John Hughes knew the real Chicago and he brought it to life in vivid colors. We don't have the now and for image sake we sorely miss that.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 8:01 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

111 W 57th will be iconic. I think developers and architects in Chicago can learn a thing or two from that building. It's an art deco rival with warmth - terra cotta, gold mullions.

The proportions of Essex on the Park are nice. The curtain wall looks fine, better than most buildings with blue glass and silver mullions, but it won't stand out. It should blend in with a sea of other blue/green glass skyscrapers that are already built or going up soon.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
111 W 57th will be iconic. I think developers and architects in Chicago can learn a thing or two from that building. It's an art deco rival with warmth - terra cotta, gold mullions.

The proportions of Essex on the Park are nice. The curtain wall looks fine, better than most buildings with blue glass and silver mullions, but it won't stand out. It should blend in with a sea of other blue/green glass skyscrapers that are already built or going up soon.

It will stand out because of its verticality amongst shorter vintage buildings.

12/28/17

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:35 AM

This is going to start rising fast in the new year. I'd say a floor every 5-6 days with those smaller floor plates like OBP?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:41 PM

^They are currently pouring a floor every 3 days (not including weather days) just like OBP. It should top off in June/July.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Are they cladding the fins on the the north and south sides? That is great if so.

I had been assuming it would just be an 'architectural coating' like we see on so many other exposed concrete surfaces.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Today there is a tendency by Directors to just film downtown, say the movie is set in Chicago, and then shoot the neighborhood scenes for the rest of the movie in someplace like Toronto or Atlanta or LA.
Shameless does a good job of filming Chicago neighborhoods, although (I guess for budget reasons) they mix in some LA street scenes and a faux-Chicago backlot. They're pretty careful about mixing the two, most of the LA scenes are shot in close-up, no palm trees visible, etc. Usually I can only tell because of the telltale LA sunlight. All of Dick Wolf's Chicago shows include neighborhood scenes also, and Joe Swanberg's films/shows.

I'd say Chicago neighborhoods are getting more screen time than ever before.

A lot of the reluctance for directors is due to cost, on-location filming is very expensive. However, Cinespace is supposed to build a backlot with some Chicago-authentic facades, so hopefully that will help a little bit too (within the constraints of backlot filming).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:43 PM

Those legs are looking too skinny, are they using a special mix?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:52 PM
All-American City Boy

>I believe rooftop helipads are illegal in Chicago (excluding hospitals and emergency services), so if that is one then it would predate the law.

That sucks. One of my first impressions of NYC when I first visited like 20 years ago was all the helicopters flying around. It was kind of cool. Very "Escape From New York". Even now when I visit NYC I notice them
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Shameless does a good job of filming Chicago neighborhoods, although (I guess for budget reasons) they mix in some LA street scenes and a faux-Chicago backlot. They're pretty careful about mixing the two, most of the LA scenes are shot in close-up, no palm trees visible, etc. Usually I can only tell because of the telltale LA sunlight. All of Dick Wolf's Chicago shows include neighborhood scenes also, and Joe Swanberg's films/shows.

I'd say Chicago neighborhoods are getting more screen time than ever before.

A lot of the reluctance for directors is due to cost, on-location filming is very expensive. However, Cinespace is supposed to build a backlot with some Chicago-authentic facades, so hopefully that will help a little bit too (within the constraints of backlot filming).
Thats good news and I hope you are right. Yea, Shameless is pretty good although the different shade of sunlight (I'm with you on that) is a tell tell sign and also the blue street signs kind of give it away on occasion. What I don't get is why I see so many scenes of front lawns (in various films) with the little 3 foot grass embankment when that is not a feature of any neighborhood in Chicago that I am aware of -- most likely filmed in Atlanta or someplace in the south. So my question is, why is Atlanta (or a city in the south) doing double duty for Chicago neighborhoods? Especially when Chicago is nothing like Atlanta. I assume it is most likely due to cost. And, if so, we need to somehow figure out a way to keep that business here by making it more affordable to film in Chicago.

I recognize that my take may be a bit simplistic as I am no expert on the subject. Anyhow, here's hoping that we get more culture shaping/generation defining movies set here like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Fugitive, Thief, Risky Business, etc.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Those legs are looking too skinny, are they using a special mix?
They aren't all legs [4 columns in front, 4 in back ]- the 4 on the sides are walls - clear across the width of the building - the total square footage is what bears the load, and a long thin wall has more area than a few fatter square columns. The wall also provides great rigidity by taking horizontal load/strain as well.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:11 AM

Now i see! Thnx...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 1:04 AM

Not to stay off topic but i'm pretty sure Chicago has one of the highest filming taxes of all major cities on the planet. I know the Matrix was originally supposed to be filmed in chicago but withe their low budget spending most of it on computer technology they ended up filming in canada for much less. If you watch the film you can actually see signs throughout the picture and the script. Such as "the intersection of state and lake" or the poster of chicago skline in his bosses office. But it is sad when movies turn out to be mega-blockbuster franchises but we lose them because we ask them for way too much money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive