HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 2:44 PM

We have glass!!!! Looks good!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
That high rise at Fairbanks and grand is a lie. I was told this and I’m not sure if it’s true but the budget commanded a concrete frame office building but the architect wished the expression to be steel. So it’s concrete waffle slabs clad with with a steel and glass exterior.
good call.

yes, the Time Life building is another "fake ass shit" chicago monstrosity.

a concrete frame office building clad with corten.

the lies....... THE LIES!!!!!!

source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...building/10311

some architecture critics consider it a very fine modernist work from Harry Weese, but what do those clowns know?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 25, 2022 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
good call.

yes, the Time Life building is another "fake ass shit" chicago monstrosity.

a concrete frame office building clad with corten.

the lies....... THE LIES!!!!!!

source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...building/10311

some architecture critics consider it a very fine modernist work from Harry Weese, but what do those clowns know?
To me 900 Randolph goes beyond choice of material expression and enters into the realm of structural deception (with the fake gusset panels and ‘beam’ joints), which I do not like.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
To me 900 Randolph goes beyond choice of material expression and enters into the realm of structural deception (with the fake gusset panels and ‘beam’ joints), which I do not like.
The angled gussets are a nod to the nearby L tracks and bascule bridges. I don't think anyone would mistake them for being anything other than decorative. Personally I like them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I'm on your side on this one, and probably would go farther than you. Even if there's a steel frame, I find the non-structural steel on the outside disappointing. There's nothing wrong with external decoration, but decoration that is just faux structural is lying. Both a glass box and terra cotta seem honest.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:04 PM
1st Ward

But terra cotta isn't structural though? Wouldn't having a limestone/terra cotta/brick exterior but a steel support frame also be "lying?" The external cladding is only decorative and nothing more, right?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
I'm on your side on this one, and probably would go farther than you. Even if there's a steel frame, I find the non-structural steel on the outside disappointing. There's nothing wrong with external decoration, but decoration that is just faux structural is lying. Both a glass box and terra cotta seem honest.
I take it you're not fan of tribune tower then.

Few towers in town "lie" more than that one.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I take it you're not fan of tribune tower then.

Few towers in town "lie" more than that one.
I find it fairly silly, yes.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:53 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
I find it fairly silly, yes.
The Parthenon is a pile of trash, too.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:08 AM

Coming in from the cheap seats but I find this entire discussion amusing.

Where is the outrage around some of these towers with gross orange paneling...?? 160 N Elizabeth or 1044 Van Buren ring a bell. Can we get the same discussion going there?!?

900 W Randolph may not be true to form but its a damn fine looking building imo...particularly when compared to others going up nearby. I'd bet 9/10 find it superior from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The Parthenon is a pile of trash, too.
The obvious response would be that comparing the parthenon and the tribune center is verging on illiterate (or just pathetically provincial), but it's worse than that. Which side of this argument do you think the parthenon falls on? it's a literal pile of rocks. It couldn't be more honest.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:17 AM

Quote:
The obvious response would be that comparing the parthenon and the tribune center is verging on illiterate (or just pathetically provincial), but it's worse than that. Which side of this argument do you think the parthenon falls on? it's a literal pile of rocks. It couldn't be more honest.
Some people get offended from a bar room expression like "fake ass shit". No one will die from this debate.

900 Randy does not look bad at all. A few are offended by the commentary. Not properly expressed. The facts remain.

Last edited by bhawk66; Aug 26, 2022 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:58 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Some people get offended from a bar room expression like "fake ass shit" and their butt feels hurt. No one will die from this debate.

900 Randy does not look bad at all. A few are offended by the commentary. Not properly expressed. The facts remain.
Just wanted to speak up because it seems you're highlighting the dramatic tension and not the "facts that remain" as you call them. For example, the fact that brick or stone cladding on a steel frame in some sense is just as disingenuous as steel cladding on concrete because it is also giving an illusion that it is made out of something that it's not and using those materials to specifically imply stability and structure in the facade materials where there is none.

Of course, form following function is a great Chicago ideal, but the fact is that as long as it functions nobody except a handful of people on this forum will ever care. Just like nobody cares that the Tribune Tower's grandness is a veneer. It's still one of the most beloved buildings in Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Just wanted to speak up because it seems you're highlighting the dramatic tension and not the "facts that remain" as you call them. For example, the fact that brick or stone cladding on a steel frame in some sense is just as disingenuous as steel cladding on concrete because it is also giving an illusion that it is made out of something that it's not and using those materials to specifically imply stability and structure in the facade materials where there is none.

Of course, form following function is a great Chicago ideal, but the fact is that as long as it functions nobody except a handful of people on this forum will ever care. Just like nobody cares that the Tribune Tower's grandness is a veneer. It's still one of the most beloved buildings in Chicago.
I think we're done here. We should move on.

You make valid points. And as celebrated as the Tribune Tower is, yes, if we are being honest, it is clad in a veneer. But man, did they do a nice job.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:44 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaccer05 View Post
Coming in from the cheap seats but I find this entire discussion amusing.

Where is the outrage around some of these towers with gross orange paneling...?? 160 N Elizabeth or 1044 Van Buren ring a bell. Can we get the same discussion going there?!?
We had that discussion a few weeks ago. 1044 W Van Buren is fine. The muted shade of orange and the texture (it's not a flat color) are a nice complement to all the historic brick in West Loop.

160 N Elizabeth takes it a little too far, there it's just a flat color and the orange is a little too bright. But it doesn't offend me like River North beige.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 2:17 AM

^ One building is fine but come to Madison where we have orange panels on every new building! It gets old really quick.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 3:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
We had that discussion a few weeks ago. 1044 W Van Buren is fine. The muted shade of orange and the texture (it's not a flat color) are a nice complement to all the historic brick in West Loop.

160 N Elizabeth takes it a little too far, there it's just a flat color and the orange is a little too bright. But it doesn't offend me like River North beige.
I guess fulton market orange is the new rivernorth beige?

Every generation finds its whipping boy.

It's just that rivernorth beige was way, WAY, WAY worse.

The nightmares still haven't stopped.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
I never though that form follows function was referencing the facade materials but rather had to do with things such as steel framed buildings allowing for more windows and light (Reliance.) That being said the fact is no one would ever confuse terracotta tiles as being the components of a buildings structural insides. They are inherently decorative. 900 Randolph's facade is the application of facade materials designed to obfuscate not just the visibility of but the the nature of the building's inner construction by visually implying its made of a different material. Its a trick. Is it always asthetically unpleasant to do so? Certainly not. There are many examples of fine looking, well executed buildings with "fake ass" facades. Does it work here? Ehh not so much imho. Its too obvious.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I never though that form follows function was referencing the facade materials but rather had to do with things such as steel framed buildings allowing for more windows and light (Reliance.) That being said the fact is no one would ever confuse terracotta tiles as being the components of a buildings structural insides. They are inherently decorative. 900 Randolph's facade is the application of facade materials designed to obfuscate not just the visibility of but the the nature of the building's inner construction by visually implying its made of a different material. Its a trick. Is it always asthetically unpleasant to do so? Certainly not. There are many examples of fine looking, well executed buildings with "fake ass" facades. Does it work here? Ehh not so much imho. Its too obvious.
Y'all are really tiresome with your inconsistent arguments. If you were actually logically consistent, the only real buildings would be all exposed concrete brutalist towers

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Y'all are really tiresome with your inconsistent arguments. If you were actually logically consistent, the only real buildings would be all exposed concrete brutalist towers
Read the post:

. Is it always asthetically unpleasant to do so? Certainly not. There are many examples of fine looking, well executed buildings with "fake ass" facades. Does it work here? Ehh not so much imho. Its too obvious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction