HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:56 PM
Skyriser

The East Garage has 2,891 spaces, not 1500. This has 2000.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Since we are on the topic:https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...is-topped-off/

Quote:
It’s not every day that developers will host a topping out event for a parking garage, but the Catalina Parking Garage is not your run-of-the-mill structure. Company executives from Plaza Companies, Holualoa Companies, Kitchell, Coreslab Structures, GLHN Architects & Engineers and PK Associates Structural Engineers all gathered in Midtown Phoenix on Thursday to celebrate the placement of the final piece of the precast structure. It took crews just 75 days to piece together the tallest precast parking structure in Arizona.

“This is the epitome of excellence in a public/private, hospital, healthcare project,” said Plaza Companies CEO Sharon Harper after she signed her name on the final piece that was later hoisted into place. “It’s very complicated, but provides the best of everything for something like this. It’s my understanding that it’s the tallest parking deck, but what it does is it sets a signal for real, urban developments. We’re now able to develop all types of projects on this campus.”

The Catalina Parking Garage at Park Central Mall definitely stands out in a very active development along Central Ave. The 10.5-story, 551,750 square foot project is one of four projects that have already gotten underway or recently announced at the re-invigorated Park Central Mall. The parking structure is less than 50 yards from the Creighton University Health Sciences building, which is a couple months away from its topping out. In between the health sciences building and the parking garage, the Dinerstein Companies is getting ready to begin vertical construction on the 278-unit Millennium at Park Central apartment complex.

“We have three or four major contractors doing work close together and every week they meet to be sure they are communicating, making sure deliveries get to the right place, coordinating when the big trucks come in,” Harper said. “It is an example of how to do things well.”

Kitchell is the lead contractor on the structure, which was designed by GLHN. Coreslab provides the precast components, with structural help from PK Associates.

The Catalina Parking Garage will include 2,005 parking spaces. The building process has been inherently complex due to the project height and the capacity of the cranes used to assemble the garage bays. The erecting company, structural engineers and contractors worked in close collaboration on various scenarios to ensure the stability and success of each stage on the process.

When completed later this year, the garage will serve the current tenants at Park Central Mall, as well as the future Creighton University complex. The Millennium at Park Central residents will also use the structure.

“The Dinerstein project will be a Type A, nine-story apartment project and it will actually connect with the parking structure on the east side,” Harper said. “It’s a thoughtful design of different, unrelated groups working together because this campus is well beyond one individual’s project right now.”

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I knew the "Garage Mahal" (East Garage) had to be larger than 2,000 spaces. It may only be 7 levels instead of 10, but it's most of a city block. This new garage doesn't look like it has as large a footprint.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I knew the "Garage Mahal" (East Garage) had to be larger than 2,000 spaces. It may only be 7 levels instead of 10, but it's most of a city block. This new garage doesn't look like it has as large a footprint.
That garage is wider on the west end, the Park Central garage is about as wide as the "thin end" and maybe not as long. The triangular shape of Garage Mahal gives it a lot more area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:21 PM
self-important urbanista

No matter how it compares to the Garage Mahal, it's disappointing that such a large amount of parking is being built in such close proximity to light rail. I get the argument that it's to offset the loss of surface parking at Park Central, but new transit-oriented development shouldn't be based on the assumption that every parking space lost to construction has to be replaced with a new one.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:55 PM

Looking at the DVC agenda for this weekend, looks like the city reissued the RFP for the empty lot next to The Teapot on 5th Ave. Also, looks like they will be talking about the new X project on 2nd Ave as well. Hopefully means we get to see some renderings soon

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:07 PM

Hard to believe so much discussion is surrounding a parking garage, but I guess I'll share my thoughts. They're taking 2,000 car spaces and consolidating them into one box. I think that's good.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Looking at the DVC agenda for this weekend, looks like the city reissued the RFP for the empty lot next to The Teapot on 5th Ave.
Do you have a link for this rfp? I can't find it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Hard to believe so much discussion is surrounding a parking garage, but I guess I'll share my thoughts. They're taking 2,000 car spaces and consolidating them into one box. I think that's good.
I agree. Restricting parking altogether will push companies to the suburbs by the highway. Consolidating parking into one large garage isn't a bad thing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
No matter how it compares to the Garage Mahal, it's disappointing that such a large amount of parking is being built in such close proximity to light rail. I get the argument that it's to offset the loss of surface parking at Park Central, but new transit-oriented development shouldn't be based on the assumption that every parking space lost to construction has to be replaced with a new one.
Looks like LA is proposing doing the right thing and eliminating mandatory parking requirements

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...using-for-cars

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 8:59 PM

Which project is this?? Is it new?

23-story high-rise planned for downtown Phoenix 'opportunity zone

Quote:
A local developer is partnering on a project in downtown Phoenix that could land a 23-story high-rise featuring luxury apartments and restaurants.

True North Studio, the downtown Phoenix real estate developer with several projects in the works in the Roosevelt Row Arts District, and Atlanta-based developer Hatteras Sky bought 1.68 acres in downtown Phoenix to develop a mixed-use high rise.

The project, called First McKinley at First Avenue and McKinley Street, will include 385 luxury apartment units and 15,000 square feet of street level retail. It's design would preserve the historic McKinley Medical Center building on the site.

The parcel is in an “opportunity zone,” which gives preferential tax treatment to capital gains that are reinvested in the federally designated zones. According to Hatteras Sky, the companies will use opportunity zone fund money to develop the $140 million project.

True North Studio and Hatteras Sky bought the property from Drapac Capital Partners for $7 million. Justin Horwitz and Paul Borgesen of SVN Desert Commercial Advisors represented the seller in the transaction.

“Phoenix has exhibited dramatic job and rent growth, especially in downtown, where the population has soared in recent years and is expected to double in the next five years,” said Oz Friedmann, managing director of development for Hatteras Sky, in a statement. “We are excited to be a part of the changing skyline. The property will provide future residents with immediate access to the best of Roosevelt Row’s art scene and downtown’s business and entertainment corridor.”

Construction on the building is expected to begin this summer.

True North Studio is behind a handful of other projects in the Roosevelt Row area, and most recently was announced to be the developer of the first Atari hotel, which will be built on a vacant parcel adjacent to the Ten-O-One office building on Central Avenue and Roosevelt Street.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post

23-story high-rise planned for downtown Phoenix 'opportunity zone

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline
Nice find! I just found the following rendering on Hatteras website:

https://hatterassky.com/projects/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
This is new, but I'm not understanding which corner. There is the really nice empty parcel between central and 1st Ave -- I don't think that's it though because it mentions some historic medical center.

I'm glad it's not that parcel though, as that should be at least 30 stories when they develop that one. It's so prime with the tracks wrapping it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post

Nice!! That's a great location for this!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post

Nice find! back at ya

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
This is new, but I'm not understanding which corner. There is the really nice empty parcel between central and 1st Ave -- I don't think that's it though because it mentions some historic medical center.

I'm glad it's not that parcel though, as that should be at least 30 stories when they develop that one. It's so prime with the tracks wrapping it.
The map shows here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/81...!4d-112.075511

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:23 PM

Its the Northwest corner. Its where somebody posted some older renderings of the "McKinley Club" there was some loose talk around the time Block 23 was starting that there would be another grocery store here.

This looks to be like a re-imagined plan for that corner. More height but also a little more generic.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Nice find! back at ya

If I was at Portland on the park with a south facing view id be a little pissed haha

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 10:55 PM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:09 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Link is such a bellwether for the skyline. I’m so glad that developer blew up that corner of Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest