HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:47 AM
Skyriser

This has been posted before but I overlooked one key fact: I'm glad their consultant is telling them not to slice and dice the south building.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:35 PM

I dont its a huge waste of space. It should be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:21 PM
Modulator

A meeting update on Hance Park was held. Whomever is suggesting the vacant lot be converted to a parking lot honestly needs to be booted from the meetings. There is no parking shortage in Downtown and the lot is too small to even fit about 20 to 30 cars. That won't even make a dent.

Quote:
Phoenix parks and recreation department gives Hance Park update
By Hailey Rein -

Margaret T. Hance Park (Jade Carter/DD)
Downtown Phoenix residents came to voice their thoughts on a lot near Hance Park during a community meeting Wednesday.

The meeting was held by the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department and Downtown Voices Coalition, a group of downtown-based stakeholders, to receive public feedback on the vacant lot next to the historic Winship House at 3rd Avenue and Portland Street.

Just over two dozen people from around downtown Phoenix came to the meeting, many of whom expressed their thoughts on what should happen to the lot.

“We don’t have a really visible entrance into the park as you come off Roosevelt going North. A wide sidewalk or parkway going up and into the park is something that everybody agrees is something that needs to be considered,” said Joan Kelchner, the secretary of the Roosevelt Action Association (RAA), at the meeting.

While a park entrance was supported by a few attendees, it was not the only idea. Other suggestions included using the space as a food court, community garden or a place to build a multi-purpose space for community activities like yoga or Tai chi.

A suggestion for the area to become a parking lot was voiced by Kiyoko Toyama, the president of the Japanese Friendship Garden, and was echoed by representatives of the Great Arizona Puppet Theater.

“When we have special events like First Fridays, that’s when we get thousands of people,” said Toyama at the meeting. “When people show up, they are driving around looking for parking. It’s a good usage for everybody, so people don’t have to keep driving around in circles – that’s dangerous.”

Some residents raised concerns about it becoming a parking lot, explaining that a new lot will not be enough to suit large events and may cause the homeless population to go into the neighborhoods.

Others noted that it might diminish the beauty of the historic neighborhood.

Instead of transforming the land as a part of Hance Park, Judy Weiss, a deputy director at the Parks Department, mentioned an idea previously raised of selling the land or transferring it to another department.

While nothing has been set in stone, the many comments made at Wednesday’s meeting will help the Parks Department decide what will be the best fit to fill the 20,000-square-foot lot.

In addition to filling the empty space, plans to improve the landscaping along Third Avenue and plans to connect Winship to Hance Park are also expected, said Ken Haines, a project landscape architect at Hargreaves Associates, at the meeting.

The lot is in connection to Margret T. Hance Park, which began its $100 million revitalization project in 2018. The project is lead by the Phoenix Community Alliance, the Hance Park Conservancy, and the Parks & Recreation Department.

More information about Hance Park and the revitalization project can be found here.
Source: http://downtowndevil.com/parks-and-rec-update-1-30/

Edit: Comparing the lot to the Friendship Garden lot on Google Maps, looks like it can maybe handle about 45-50 parking spaces. I still do not think that would make much of a dent, especially for First Fridays to warrant a parking lot that would most likely only fill up once or twice per month. The lot can serve a better use. I like the idea of using it for a bigger more visual entrance into Hance Park.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:33 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
A meeting update on Hance Park was held. Whomever is suggesting the vacant lot be converted to a parking lot honestly needs to be booted from Downtown. There is no parking shortage in Downtown and the lot is too small to even fit about 20 to 30 cars. That won't even make a dent.

Source: http://downtowndevil.com/parks-and-rec-update-1-30/
Disappointing to hear that the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Great Arizona Puppet Theater are behind that request. I have enormous respect for both organizations and recognize that many of their guests come from suburban locations. Nevertheless, they could both do more to promote their proximity to light rail. The could also consider implementing a modest charge for their parking lots so as to ration a scarce commodity.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

...Kenect is on it's final floor. Also facade is going up on Kenect. One strange thing on Kenect is there is not going to be any windows at all on the South facing side. I find that kinda strange as there's a good 50' feet between Kenect and Freeport. Also Kenect is closer to Central than Freeport which means balconies or windows would not have been blocked. Another thing I noticed is that Kenect makes Freeport look much larger. This is what smaller infill buildings can do for a shorter downtown. AC is having the same effect at AZ Center. Love infill!

Here's some pics I took:

Kenect showing facade

Kenect South side showing no balconies or windows.

I just noticed from the webcam https://www.katerra.com/webcams/akara/ that the East facing side looks like it will also have no windows or balconies since it's being filled in the same way the the South facing side is. There isn't anything at all that would block that side of the building, at least not anything above the hotel next door. It seems strange that it looks like there are going to be 2 sides of this building that will just be blank walls. None of the renders showed those elevations, so I'm hoping that they do something to break up the massive amount of blank space there would be otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I just noticed from the webcam https://www.katerra.com/webcams/akara/ that the East facing side looks like it will also have no windows or balconies since it's being filled in the same way the the South facing side is. There isn't anything at all that would block that side of the building, at least not anything above the hotel next door. It seems strange that it looks like there are going to be 2 sides of this building that will just be blank walls. None of the renders showed those elevations, so I'm hoping that they do something to break up the massive amount of blank space there would be otherwise.
Nothing a good ole ‘For Lease’ banner couldn’t resolve.
‘Have blank space on your structure?’
‘Cover it up with tasteless marketing!’

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:09 AM

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here, most buildings have blank walls and there are plenty of finishes that can make it difficult to notice.

Why don't we just wait and see what happens before making judgement?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here, most buildings have blank walls and there are plenty of finishes that can make it difficult to notice.

Why don't we just wait and see what happens before making judgement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
..... None of the renders showed those elevations, so I'm hoping that they do something to break up the massive amount of blank space there would be otherwise.
I wasn't rushing to judgement, I was making an observation and in fact said I'm hoping that's not what it will look like when it's done.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:02 AM

Yeah, Kenect is pretty plain, there aren’t any balconies in the renderings. Good infill, maybe rents won’t be as bad with no balconies.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 8:41 PM

Driving through downtown I noticed that the lot on 10th ave and van buren cleared up and graded. Was that the holiday inn lot?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:11 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
Driving through downtown I noticed that the lot on 10th ave and van buren cleared up and graded. Was that the holiday inn lot?
Yup. Too much surface parking but a coffee shop will add some life to that moribund area.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-63-16n.pdf

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 2:01 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Yup. Too much surface parking but a coffee shop will add some life to that moribund area.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-63-16n.pdf
They should add an ice cream shop and call it "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," although that name may be lost on anyone who's not a Bruce Springsteen fan.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:02 PM
Modulator

Forgot about this one. Hyatt Place crane app. This is the 8 story hotel planned for the NE corner of 2nd Ave and Adams.

Quote:
Study (ASN): 2020-AWP-563-OE
Prior Study:

Received Date: 01/16/2020
Entered Date: 01/16/2020
Map: View Map
Construction Info Structure Summary
Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: TEMP (Months: 18 Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 03/01/2020 to 09/01/2021

Structure Type: Crane
Structure Name: Hyatt Place Crane
FCC Number:

Structure Details Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83): 33° 26' 57.00" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 112° 04' 32.00" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Phoenix
State: AZ
Nearest County: Maricopa

Proposed
Site Elevation:
Structure Height:
Total Height (AMSL):

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:34 PM

It's only a fact finding, so it may never happen, but here ya go. The warehouse on site is an historic building so I'm not sure how this would work. Also being on the south side of downtown it's further into Sky Harbor's flight path.

FACT 2008154 Issued 29-JAN-2020
Plan Description THUNDERBIRD LEGACY
Project 20-362
Fact Finding Description: NEW 26-STORY MIXED USE HIGH-RISE PROJECT (DTC WAREHOUSE 70)
Address 39 E JACKSON ST PHOENIX AZ 85004-2443

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:42 PM
Modulator

Duplicate post...

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Feb 3, 2020 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
It's only a fact finding, so it may never happen, but here ya go. The warehouse on site is an historic building so I'm not sure how this would work. Also being on the south side of downtown it's further into Sky Harbor's flight path.

FACT 2008154 Issued 29-JAN-2020
Plan Description THUNDERBIRD LEGACY
Project 20-362
Fact Finding Description: NEW 26-STORY MIXED USE HIGH-RISE PROJECT (DTC WAREHOUSE 70)
Address 39 E JACKSON ST PHOENIX AZ 85004-2443
That was rumored like 6 or so months ago (Correction. Was a little over a year ago: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=13565). Glad to see something more concrete on it. The height limit for that lot is right on the edge of 250' to 260'ish. So probably can fit 26 floors.

Edit: There's was also a sub development issued for it. Going to see if there's anything else I can dig up on it.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Feb 3, 2020 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:32 PM

That would have quite an impact!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:20 PM

Isn't this the hotel that was going to use the historic building as a lobby?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Isn't this the hotel that was going to use the historic building as a lobby?
Nah that proposed hotel is the building next to the old Cooperstown restaurant

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Nah that proposed hotel is the building next to the old Cooperstown restaurant
Thanks. Too many to keep track of, lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest