HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
According to tht security guard at oceanwide, it should restart in June. Let's hope that's true
God I hope so. Oceanwide I feel is a project that will quickly do a lot for DTLA. the tipping of the iceberg. Now lets hope that the wrap around screen still happens as the renderings showed us. Nothing watered down.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:20 AM

Not sure if anyone has done this recently but LAs diagram page has been updated. looking at what's Built, under construction and proposed, LA currently has 5 solid proposals taller than California Plaza 2 (currently the 4th tallest building in the city)....... and that's just showing what currently has a drawing..... that's great news and very exciting, especially since 4 of those at least have timelines within this decade HAHA. LA has a lot going on. The front page doesn't even show half of it.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:17 AM

Well, I just spent the afternoon in Downtown today and I walked like 10 miles. Anyone ready for those photo updates I used to do all the time in 2014?

Firstly lets start with the Apple store! The most beautiful restoration i've ever seen!

Next up is our newest addition to the skyline! Fig+Pico! Looks like cladding has begun on the podium! They're pouring floor 24 tomorrow and they top out at 36! The security guard told me construction of the second tower was "imminent"!!

Next up is my favorite! Brookfield! It's rising so fast and it'll make it's presence in the skyline known during the summer! Exciting stuff

How about a little of the Fig/8th tower going up! These two will basically be side by side!

And to finish off the update it looks like another broadway building is getting a much-needed facelift! Broadway has REALLY changed these past few years. It's currently going through the biggest change ever in my opinion. Even bigger than when Urban Outfitters moved in. Apple will be GAMECHANGER.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:12 PM

Thumbs up

Superb update Mojeda, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Excellent update, Mojeda!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:02 PM

I have a question about about Fig+Pico tower. how tall is it gonna be? On the LA diagram it says that its final height is 141m but every article on the building I can find says that its 161m. Was there a height reduction I'm not aware of? Great pics

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
I have a question about about Fig+Pico tower. how tall is it gonna be? On the LA diagram it says that its final height is 141m but every article on the building I can find says that its 161m. Was there a height reduction I'm not aware of? Great pics
Alot of sites have this misconception that it'll be 42 stories when in reality it'll be 36.

According to this the final height will be 457' feet so yeah 140m

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:30 PM

Thanks Mojeda! Always nice to see mix of historic restoration and new build in DTLA. You walked 10 miles... any pics of The Grand?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:36 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Alot of sites have this misconception that it'll be 42 stories when in reality it'll be 36.

According to this the final height will be 457' feet so yeah 140m
Ah bummer, are we sure 140m is the most recent figure though?

I think the Grand is sub 150m as well from the looks of it, despite also thinking it would be 160+. I can't find the official height anywhere though.

Hopefully 8th and Flower ends up higher than 150 and Brookfield possibly 200+ (though some sources say 199).

I really want the 2-250 meter buildings in the pipeline to start construction. Hopefully the Covid rebound prompts that.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:50 PM

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...printing-plant

Wow big Arts District (and new studio) proposals coming thick and fast!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:55 PM

Thanks for the update Mojeda101!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post

That side of downtown is really ramping up. LAT sending the clear message that they believe that they have an option to renew and won't leave voluntarily and will need to be compensated for not renewing their lease.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Well, I just spent the afternoon in Downtown today and I walked like 10 miles. Anyone ready for those photo updates I used to do all the time in 2014?
Thanks! Keeping this thread alive with updated images for the past 13-14 months...due mostly to covid....has been dependent on mainly pwright1. It's good he is joined by other sspers doing some of the heavy lifting too.

Other forumers like lasportsfan are good for text versions of update pics, such as his comment about what a person working at oceanwide told him.

As for posts about bldgs not being tall enough or projs needing to have 20 or more floors...or the design being too boring, etc?...oh-kay, if you ppl say so.

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post

Who else recalls a few years ago when people were screaming that filming was forever dead in LA and LA will never ever see a new film studio and filming will forever leave california.

Last edited by caligrad; May 20, 2021 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Who else recalls a few years ago when people were screaming that filming was forever dead in LA and LA will never ever see a new film studio and filming we forever leave california.
I do. So far we have 2 new studios proposals (3 if you count Disney’s 2nd studio proposal in Golden Oak Ranch) and the expansion of many of the existing studios that have been going on, continue to go on, and will soon begin. LA will always be the movie and TV capital of the world by a long shot. It’s our birthright!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
I do. So far we have 2 new studios proposals (3 if you count Disney’s 2nd studio proposal in Golden Oak Ranch) and the expansion of many of the existing studios that have been going on, continue to go on, and will soon begin. LA will always be the movie and TV capital of the world by a long shot. It’s our birthright!
Are you counting Apple and Amazon too?
They're the new studios, in a way. I never doubted it, it never made any sense to people who actually looked more into it.

But yes, LA's entertainment empire is only growing. We're also the U.S. headquarters of Tik Tok, in Culver City. There's so much creative office space planned or u/c I can barely keep track of it.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Are you counting Apple and Amazon too?
They're the new studios, in a way. I never doubted it, it never made any sense to people who actually looked more into it.

But yes, LA's entertainment empire is only growing. We're also the U.S. headquarters of Tik Tok, in Culver City. There's so much creative office space planned or u/c I can barely keep track of it.
Apple, Amazon and Netflix are more expansions of existing studios.

By new studios I was referring to more ground up studios as fresh real estate like back in 1915 LA rather than new production studios (i.e. Apple, Amazon, Netflix, etc).

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:42 PM
Architectural Designer

I took some pics from various vantage points of our skyline in the last month. They show how far our skyline has come. And yes, on the third pic from the Mulholland vantage point, that is the Costa Mesa skyline in the back.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 9:08 PM

Great skyline shots!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThebiteofSuarez View Post
I took some pics from various vantage points of our skyline in the last month.

Good pics! That one photo, however, is why the city through the yrs has been treated like a mixed bag by various urbanists & burbanists too. It's not because dtla doesn't have more skyscrapers, too much parking or not enough ground floor shopping. Or too many fwys. But because a lot of older streets and older hoods around dt haven't been in great shape. They historically have not been ready for prime time.

but in terms of dtla itself, consider that this was a lifeless parking lot not too long ago....but slowly but surely, things are starting to come together....

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations