The City

Covid is....Dude.....like never going to end

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:03 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...erica-56723439

Will we ever get past the idea that only old people get really sick with COVID?
No, because the old are overwhelmingly more likely to get very ill and die of Covid. That will always be the case.

The question is whether more of them were vaccinated in Brazil. I don’t know because that article doesn’t reveal that info

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:

No one has ever said this.

What many of us are saying is that the risk from Covid is many orders of magnitude higher for older people, that younger people rarely have life-threatening illness, and that the risk to young people in itself does not justify lockdowns or any of these restrictions, only the risk to older people. All of this (barring the last point which is inherently subjective) has been well established fact since at last May 2020 and borne out by mounds of statistical data.

As you know I am of the view that governments, even if they couldn’t legally make different rules for older people, should have had clear and strong messaging to the effect that if you are over 70, you should continue to stay at home, avoid social contact, and avoid close contact with family even as things opened up. If this had been done and somewhat adhered to, then everywhere could have been like Florida and gone back to some degree of normalcy by June of last year.

As for your article, there are over 200 million people in Brazil and the population skews younger than the US, let alone Europe, so of course the raw numbers of young people with “severe” Covid will sound like a big number. That doesn’t mean the risk justifies the disruption to life. I risk my health or even life every day I go snowboarding than I do going out to bars during Covid.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Apr 14, 2021 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:39 AM

Anyway lol. Per previous discussion. It is not Illinois allocating doses to Chicago. It is the Federal government. Chicago receives its supply of vaccine from the federal government allocated separately from the state. As such, the city operates on its own framework and timetable. One third of the doses administered in Chicago have gone to non residents. It is what it is, whatever. But that is why it is hard to get a shot here in Chicago - doses received based on population but administered based to a larger population.

Anyway managed to get my first dose today of Pfizer in Forest Park though Cook County!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:22 AM

25% of metro New Orleans has been fully vaccinated as of Monday. https://ladhh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/o...f9046c213331ed

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:46 AM

In case you were wondering:

Quote:
Americans Have Too Much Toilet Paper. Finally, Sales Slow.
By Sharon Terlep
Updated April 13, 2021 6:43 pm ET

After a year in which toilet-tissue shortages left consumers scrambling for squares, sales are plummeting to below pre-pandemic levels.

Bath-tissue sales in January fell more than 4% from the same period a year earlier, before the spread of Covid-19 spurred Americans to load up on staples from toilet paper to sanitary wipes, according to figures from NielsenIQ. The decline, which comes even though legions of Americans continue to work and attend school from home, indicates last year’s stockpiling is starting to have an effect on sales . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...=hp_lead_pos12

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Anyway lol. Per previous discussion. It is not Illinois allocating doses to Chicago. It is the Federal government. Chicago receives its supply of vaccine from the federal government allocated separately from the state. As such, the city operates on its own framework and timetable. One third of the doses administered in Chicago have gone to non residents. It is what it is, whatever. But that is why it is hard to get a shot here in Chicago - doses received based on population but administered based to a larger population.

Anyway managed to get my first dose today of Pfizer in Forest Park though Cook County!
According to this - https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Na...ions/sxbq-3sid - Chicago, Philadelphia and New York are unique as the only cities getting their own allocations from the feds. But if the state accepts their argument that they are vaccinating non-residents, there’s nothing to prevent it from giving them additional supplies. I guess special treatment has a downside. Too bad.

Anyway you went and stole your shot from outside the city and I bet you aren’t alone.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Apr 14, 2021 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:26 AM

Quote:

The old "cytokine storm" problem. Active immune systens can be a problem. Just like the 1918 pandemic. Young people were not spared. Looks like covid variants are getting more troublesome for the young.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No, because the old are overwhelmingly more likely to get very ill and die of Covid. That will always be the case.

The question is whether more of them were vaccinated in Brazil. I don’t know because that article doesn’t reveal that info
Apparently that is no longer true in Brazil for whatever reason. Before vaccination of large numbers the very sick young were swamped by the very sick old but now the old are protected and its obvious that the Brazilian variant, at least, can make even the young very sick if they refuse to act prudently.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:33 AM

Quote:
According to this - https://data.cdc.gov/Vaccinations/Na...ions/sxbq-3sid - Chicago, Philadelphia and New York are unique as the only cities getting their own allocations from the feds. But if the state accepts their argument that they are vaccinating non-residents, there’s nothing to prevent it from giving them additional supplies. I guess special treatment has a downside. Too bad.

Anyway you went and stole your shot from outside the city and I bet you aren’t alone.
Pedestrian, if you could choose between Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, which would you pick? Some data I've seen seem to show the moderna vaccine can have slightly tougher side effects, especially after the second dose. My elderly mom has to have the vaccine, and can pick either one. Both vaccines do seem to be effective. Any thoughts? When you had the vaccine, how bad were the side effects if any? Pfizer or Mod.,?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:

No matter how much it bothers you how Chicago administers it's shots the fact of the matter is you are being ridiculous and obtuse. Why this bothers you is beyond me. Boredom? And I did not steal any shots. That's a hell of an accusation. Why would you do that? You are in your mid 70's. I have nothing in common with you. Move on and enjoy retirement instead of accusing and debating with people several decades younger than you about them getting a vaccine shot. I am a resident of Cook County thus am able to get shots from Cook County. They even recommend it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:

NYC has its own public health system with the capacity to administer vaccines at scale. That's probably why NY's doses are split between the city and state (also nearly half the state's population lives in the five boroughs). NYC also allows non-residents who work in the city to get vaccinated at an NYC run site.

When I was booking my own appointment in NY, it was very hard to find vaccine appointments anywhere near the NY Metro area on the state portal, but there were plenty of appointments available if you drove 200 miles upstate. I ended up finding a last minute slot on the city's hospitals website.

Also, I believe that if you go to one of the pharmacies that are permitted to administer vaccines (Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc.), there is no residency requirement at all.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Apparently that is no longer true in Brazil for whatever reason. Before vaccination of large numbers the very sick young were swamped by the very sick old but now the old are protected and its obvious that the Brazilian variant, at least, can make even the young very sick if they refuse to act prudently.
I know you’re obsessed with the idea that it’s “not just us old folks” who are at risk from Covid, but statistically that is the case. Give it a rest.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The old "cytokine storm" problem. Active immune systens can be a problem. Just like the 1918 pandemic. Young people were not spared. Looks like covid variants are getting more troublesome for the young.
Ugh.... so much nonsense being spewed in this thread....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I know you’re obsessed with the idea that it’s “not just us old folks” who are at risk from Covid, but statistically that is the case. Give it a rest.
Yep

There is zero evidence anywhere that COVID is suddenly changing into something it is not (and never will be) and becoming more deadly for young people.

If anything is happening, the cases are skewing younger because the elderly have been vaccinated, and hence the proportion of people dying is younger simply for the same reason. Any simple understanding of math and statistics will reveal that.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:42 PM
The City

Quote:
You really are getting confused.

I'm saying the same thing that you are.

Sorry, I know that being scared of COVID is becoming a rather fun pet project for you, but COVID is NOT EVOLVING into something that is more deadly for the young.

When you save the older people from dying, then the only people left to die are younger people. So even though younger people are still REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY unlikely to die, they are the only people left getting Covid, and when the virus is spreading to tens/hundreds of millions of them, they are like 90% of the deaths now. Simple common sense and grasping of statistics reveals this.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:43 PM

From NBC Los Angeles:

LA County Will Allow Indoor Events, Sports Fan Attendance Starting Thursday

By City News Service • Published April 13, 2021 • Updated on April 13, 2021 at 6:19 pm

Los Angeles County on Thursday will begin allowing attendance at indoor sporting events, theater performances, concerts and conferences, but the county will impose a stricter capacity limit at large event venues -- such as Staples Center -- than the state guidelines.

The state announced earlier this month that it will ease its COVID-19 restrictions, effective Thursday, allowing a return to indoor events, but individual counties are always permitted to imposer stricter regulations than the state authorizes.

County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Monday the county will largely adopt the state rules, but it will impose a stricter capacity limit on indoor venues with 1,501 seats or more.

The state's guidelines for larger arenas allow for attendance of 10% of the venue's capacity, or 2,000 people, whichever is smaller. If all attendees are fully vaccinated or have proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event, the state allows attendance to increase to 35% of capacity.

Los Angeles County, however, will limit attendance at larger venues to 25% of capacity when all guests are vaccinated or tested. That means all sporting events at Staples Center -- home to the Lakers, Clippers and Kings -- will be limited to 25% capacity instead of the 35% allowed by the state.

Staples Center will require all fans to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test to be admitted.

The state and county rules will restrict attendance at large and small arenas to in-state residents only, and attendees must have pre-purchased, digital admission tickets. Masks are required at all times, except when people are eating in designated dining areas, and six feet of physical distancing between groups must be maintained. All venues must have a weekly worker testing program, and all suites are limited to 25% capacity.

For smaller indoor venues that hold up to 1,500 people, capacity is limited to a maximum of 15%, or 200 people. The capacity can increase to 35% if everyone has proof of a negative COVID test or of being fully vaccinated.

For private events such as meetings, receptions or conferences, outdoor gatherings can be held with 100 people, or up to 300 if everyone is vaccinated/tested. Indoor activities are permitted only if all guests are vaccinated or tested, and attendance is limited to a maximum of 150 people.

For informal private social gatherings, the new rules will allow outdoor gatherings of up to 50 people, with required masking and physical distancing. Indoor social gatherings are "strongly discouraged,'' but can be held with a maximum of 25 people or 25% of the venue's capacity, whichever is lower, with required masks and no eating or drinking unless everyone attending has been vaccinated.

Link: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...virus/2572562/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:45 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Everybody is at risk for PASC though, as well as 1/3 of covid patients will have neuropsychiatric conditions. If people don't feel they are at risk, they should volunteer at hospitals and participate in forced injections (of covid) for scientific research. Then if possible, mass produce vaccines from these special humans.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:46 PM
The City

Thank you LA, for finally doing something reasonable.

Now if only the rest of the "lock down first, fuck everyone's feelings, think about it later" States will follow

Masking and shots should literally be the only thing we are doing now. No other policies are necessary. All COVID measures should immediately be halted as being burdensome and damaging.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
No matter how much it bothers you how Chicago administers it's shots the fact of the matter is you are being ridiculous and obtuse. Why this bothers you is beyond me. Boredom? And I did not steal any shots. That's a hell of an accusation. Why would you do that? You are in your mid 70's. I have nothing in common with you. Move on and enjoy retirement instead of accusing and debating with people several decades younger than you about them getting a vaccine shot. I am a resident of Cook County thus am able to get shots from Cook County. They even recommend it.
My point was that residency requirements are absurd. You are the one disagreeing. It looks to me as if Chicago (city) has painted itself into a corner by getting a separate allocation of vaccine which limits it to that amount. But still it could ask for some vaccine from Illinois to provide to non-city residents if it chose to and it should do that it is vaccinating them.

Your agism doesn't become you and I think the mods should instruct you that there's no policy here that people of any age can't debate issues. Is it because you recognize how limited your perspective is that you are trying to intimidate me?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions