HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:12 AM

Here's northern Delaware. As my personal experience attests, the suburbs are very diverse. Asians (and many types of Asians, such as Chinese, Korean, Indian, and even some Middle Eastern) are mixed in with whites very well, especially in the Hockessin and Pike Creek areas west/northwest of Wilmington.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:28 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas_ej
I'm not sure how you're defining "diverse."
Mixing together. Likelihood of seeing someone different from you if you are standing on a street corner. Not segregated ghettos for the different races.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
OK, now this must have some interesting story here:

(Eagle-eyed forumers may recognize the place from a different post...).
Hah!

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246529

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:17 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Out of curiosity:

Is there a specific reason why US keeps track of race or is it just out of tradition?

I know alot of the big multicultural countries such as Brazil, England and Canada does it too.

But most countries doesn't.

Especially because the US is so mixed, im having difficulties to understand why this is still relevant.
Don’t worry, you’re not alone. A lot of people in the States don’t understand the constant preoccupation with race that seems to be getting worse. I live in a family with Caucasian, Hispanic, African American and Asian. As you said, “America is so mixed” and it’s what makes it a great country. But we also have a lot of government bureaucrats and politicians on both sides of the aisle that use race as wedge issues.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:27 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
yeah, I noticed the weird anomaly on this map, then went to Google Maps and was like "no fucking way"
I'm still impressed with how fast you found the original.

Chicagoland is not small.

But you're all smart and shit.....

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:50 AM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Don’t worry, you’re not alone. A lot of people in the States don’t understand the constant preoccupation with race that seems to be getting worse. I live in a family with Caucasian, Hispanic, African American and Asian. As you said, “America is so mixed” and it’s what makes it a great country. But we also have a lot of government bureaucrats and politicians on both sides of the aisle that use race as wedge issues.
Sacramento is one the most diverse cities in America.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:54 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Sacramento is one the most diverse cities in America.
Yes and it’s very well integrated too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:57 AM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Pittsburgh is likely the least Hispanic major city in the US. And even though it’s the state’s second largest, probably the least Hispanic city in PA. And is also incredibly segregated in every way imaginable... the topography lends itself naturally to that and has made it that much easier over the years.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Pittsburgh one of the least diverse major metros in the US?

From Wikipaedia:
Persons of color, or non-white Americans, represent only 13.5 percent of the region's population, compared to 38.7 percent in the United States overall.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 6:36 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm still impressed with how fast you found the original.

Chicagoland is not small.

But you're all smart and shit.....
I am fortunate to have very good eyesight and a large monitor

At first I thought it would be in Morton Grove or somewhere like that, but I just circled around the city at the radius I figured corresponded to roughly the right era until I found it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Race is used as a “wedge issue” by politicians only because it can be politically expedient for them. They do and say what will keep them in office. They respond to their constituency in terms of racial politics, and and in turn their constituency responds to their use of racial politics. It starts with the voting populace, not with govt. This is true for any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Pittsburgh one of the least diverse major metros in the US?
Probably. Pittsburgh was literally collapsing economically when the wave of international immigration from more “diverse” places was occurring in the latter part of the 20th century. That is, no one was moving in. Plus, Pittsburgh is rather remote... it doesn’t have natural geographic migration proximity to other major cities.

I split time between what are likely the most Anglo-dominated major metro and the most Latino-dominated major metro, in Pittsburgh and Miami. It’s quite a stark cultural contrast. Not to mention topographically, architecturally, etc. I can’t really imagine two more utterly-different cities.

Last edited by pj3000; Apr 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm not sure how you're defining "diverse." Diverse, as in racial integration next-door neighbor diverse, or diverse in the sense that there are whole areas of one kind of race next to whole areas of another kind of race?

The San Fernando Valley isn't as diverse (fewer Blacks and Asians):

And in the center is where I live, South Pasadena, which is northeast of downtown LA, and in the western San Gabriel Valley, which I consider to be pretty diverse:
This map does not show all of the San Fernando Valley especially the southern end by Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana, Studio City etc. The southern end, and especially the west valley is very ethnic white, Jewish, Persians, and Armenians, a lot of Kim Kardashian types but not as rich, more like fake rich. Anyway the map shows a lot of the interior parts which are mostly Hispanic or Latino.

In my opinion from what I’ve seen living in both the San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley, there are more Black people in the San Fernando Valley, we just don’t have any large black neighborhoods as most live among the other races. What we do lack is a huge Asian population in the San Fernando Valley. Also good Asian food is hard to fine over here, I truly believe the San Gabriel Valley has better Mexican and Asian food. Now if you’re looking for Armenian, Mediterranean and Persian cuisine than that everywhere here in the SFV.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Apr 26, 2021 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
This map does not show all of the San Fernando Valley especially the southern end by Woodland Hills Encino Tarzana studio city etc. The southern end, and especially the west valley is very ethnic white, Jewish, Persians, and Armenians, a lot of Kim Kardashian types but not as rich, most like fake rich. Anyway the map shows a lot of the interior parts which are mostly Hispanic or Latino.

In my opinion from what I’ve seen living in both the San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley, there are more Black people in the San Fernando Valley, we just don’t have any large black neighborhoods as most live among the other races. What we do lack is a huge Asian population in the San Fernando Valley. Also good Asian food is hard to fine over here, I truly believe the San Gabriel Valley has better Mexican and Asian food. Now if you’re looking for Armenian, Mediterranean and Persian cuisine than that everywhere here in the SFV.
I don't agree Asian food is bad in the SFV. Some of the best Indian in the metro is in Winnekta, where there is a sizeable Indian population. The SFV is far more interesting than people give it credit for, people just constantly compare to central and West LA, which isn't really fair. But it is what it is. There's stretches of restaurant corridors with countless cusines on them, I would think only Queens or something is comparable. But tourists wouldn't really notice this, as these aren't in tourists areas.

The black population is peppered around the Valley. It's not one neighborhood per se. I'd say they're intergerated into white/hispanic areas.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:06 PM

I thought the 2021 SFV was mostly a racial/socioeconomic gradient. with whiter, wealthier areas to the south/west (places like Sherman Oaks and Encino) and more Hispanic, working class areas to the north/east (places like Panorama City and Van Nuys). Places like Reseda and Northridge are more transitional, formerly almost all Anglo white, now majority Hispanic.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I thought the 2021 SFV was mostly a racial/socioeconomic gradient. with whiter, wealthier areas to the south/west (places like Sherman Oaks and Encino) and more Hispanic, working class areas to the north/east (places like Panorama City and Van Nuys). Places like Reseda and Northridge are more transitional, formerly almost all Anglo white, now majority Hispanic.
Reseda, maybe. I dont think Northridge is mostly hispanic.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
OK, now this must have some interesting story here:

(Eagle-eyed forumers may recognize the place from a different post...).
Interesting! Maybe the answer to Steely Dan's question should also consider the racial implications. I'm not sure if that was ever addressed in full in the other thread. Was the multi-family development intentionally designed be isolated and cut off from the surrounding single-family community?

This is why I'm not a fan of federal or local policies that resulting in 100% of the units in a building being affordable. At a maximum, it should be 50% affordable and 50% market rate. Otherwise, it's just creating concentrations of poverty and intentionally or unintentionally racial segregation.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:40 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Reseda, maybe. I dont think Northridge is mostly hispanic.
Based on my very peripheral knowledge, I thought Reseda had a large Vietnamese population?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:40 AM

Sounds like a tax credit property

Quote:
This property is income-restricted affordable housing. You must qualify for low income housing to live here.
1 resident, income below $34,960
2 residents, income below $39,960
3 residents, income below $44,940
4 residents, income below $49,920
5 residents, income below $53,940
6 residents, income below $57,960

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:41 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Interesting! Maybe the answer to Steely Dan's question should also consider the racial implications. I'm not sure if that was ever addressed in full in the other thread. Was the multi-family development intentionally designed be isolated and cut off from the surrounding single-family community?

This is why I'm not a fan of federal or local policies that resulting in 100% of the units in a building being affordable. At a maximum, it should be 50% affordable and 50% market rate. Otherwise, it's just creating concentrations of poverty and intentionally or unintentionally racial segregation.
Ironically, it's in a town named "Justice, IL"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I don't agree Asian food is bad in the SFV. Some of the best Indian in the metro is in Winnekta, where there is a sizeable Indian population. The SFV is far more interesting than people give it credit for, people just constantly compare to central and West LA, which isn't really fair. But it is what it is. There's stretches of restaurant corridors with countless cusines on them, I would think only Queens or something is comparable. But tourists wouldn't really notice this, as these aren't in tourists areas.

The black population is peppered around the Valley. It's not one neighborhood per se. I'd say they're intergerated into white/hispanic areas.
No offense, I wasn’t including Indian food when I spoke about Asian food. I was mainly focusing on Chinese, Japanese, and Thai which I think the SFV falls short. I can’t comment on Indian food since I don’t eat enough of it to say one way or the other.

I agree the SFV is more interesting than people give it credit for, even I found myself not yearning as much to cross over the hill to see things in the basin. What we do lack are large cultural museums, but again that would be the same as any large American city where typically these are in the central part of the city. We also have a lot going on in North Hollywood, and even Studio City, but then west LA and even Hollywood in a sense is easier to reach from Woodland Hills. I’ve been in the valley for almost seven years now, and I am good with living here there is definitely a lot of diversity here and it’s very much culturally LA city in style.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:03 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Ironically, it's in a town named "Justice, IL"
Probably most famous for being the home of "Resurrection Mary", one of chicago's most well-known ghosts.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 26, 2021 at 5:16 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions