HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 1:17 PM
somewhere in-between

Saugatuck -

Despite the fact that there are still pending permit issues, the Padnos', with the help of their developer Cottage Home (spoiler alert - these homes are NOT cottages), have begun constructing the first two homes that will be part of the controversial NorthShores development. The portion of development still in limbo is the proposed man-made marina, which has been tied up with the US Army Corp of Engineers and a historic properties review.

The architecture of the houses will be disappointingly predictable in their McMansion-esque design, judging by the first model home. I guess that they are giving the people what they want and will make a fortune from this, though. It seems like they wanted to get shovels in the ground asap on this development to convey to those opposed that, one way or another, this thing is happening so deal with it.

Quote:
Comment period open on marina in NorthShores development
Sydney Smith | Holland Sentinel
July 18, 2018

SAUGATUCK TWP. — A public notice period is open for those looking to make comments about a manmade marina for the NorthShores of Saugatuck development. The notice was published on July 2, and its aim is so seek public input on “historic properties issues” regarding NorthShores’ application to construct a marina basin as part of a high-end housing development. Comments need to be submitted by July 21.

“The Army Corps is doing their job, and we expect things to work out,” Brian Bosgraaf, president of Cottage Home, said in an email...
Not that I could ever afford it, but I just don't want a house built on that much sand, that close to the water!

Source: Holland Sentinel | Courtesy Cottage Home

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 12, 2021 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 1:34 PM
somewhere in-between

Saugatuck -

Saugatuck's bid as a beer destination is growing, as Guardian Brewing continues construction in the former Red Barn Playhouse.

Quote:
Guardian Brewing Company construction underway
Austin Metz | Holland Sentinel
July 17, 2018

SAUGATUCK — Construction on a new brewery, restaurant, and event center in Saugatuck moves forward as planned with a scheduled opening in December 2018. The new brewery, Guardian Brewing Company, first announced the purchasing process of the Red Barn Theater about ten months ago and has since then been working on various projects. In June, the brewery had its groundbreaking and since then, construction teams have been at work transforming the site into a restaurant and bar with 80 seats, 19 beer taps, one cider tap, two wine taps and local liquor meant to compliment food from the kitchen...

Source: Holland Sentinel File

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:05 PM
Changatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
This looks great - another 6-story project proposed for downtown Muskegon, filling in more void space that was freed up when the mall was demo'd. Called The Leonard, it will occupy the corner of Second Street and Western Avenue, and will feature underground parking, ground-floor commercial, 2 stories of office space, and 3 stories of apartments (18 units total). Could break ground this fall.
That sounds great. Including underground parking is impressive too considering that adds a lot of cost to the building. According to the article the design still isn't finished, so we'll see what the final rendering comes out looking like. If it is true that most the office space already has commitments that is a very good sign.

Another recent proposal for 50+ condos on Muskegon Lake near the edge of downtown. Another project without a final design. From the rendering it looks pretty boring, but if it brings more people downtown and develops another long vacant piece of land I'll take it.

Quote:
Condos on Muskegon Lake shoreline could be move-in ready by spring 2019
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
July 9th, 2018

Hartshorn Village, a condo community on the shore of Muskegon Lake, could be ready for residents by spring 2019.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
This looks great - another 6-story project proposed for downtown Muskegon, filling in more void space that was freed up when the mall was demo'd. Called The Leonard, it will occupy the corner of Second Street and Western Avenue, and will feature underground parking, ground-floor commercial, 2 stories of office space, and 3 stories of apartments (18 units total). Could break ground this fall.

The rendering looks like it shows only 5 floors - either the design is changing, or maybe there's a penthouse floor that is cut off from the angle of view.

Source: Justine McGuire | MLive
Do you know which corner of Second and Western its planned for? I'm guessing its the larger grassy lot on the northwest corner and not the one directly next to Lake View Lofts?

Is Highpoint Flats fully open? I can't wait to see how much downtown Muskegon has changed since my last visit.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:06 PM
Changatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Do you know which corner of Second and Western its planned for? I'm guessing its the larger grassy lot on the northwest corner and not the one directly next to Lake View Lofts?

Is Highpoint Flats fully open? I can't wait to see how much downtown Muskegon has changed since my last visit.
Lake View Lofts owns the land to the corner for additional phases. This is the only other vacant corner, which I would call the northeast corner (the downtown grid doesn't really align north-south or east-west).

What I'm wondering is how much of the site is being developed. When I worked downtown, which was a while ago now, the land fronting Western there was being sold as one lot between Second and First. This building clearly isn't that long, but it's not clear how much of that block it will cover.

I went to their website and while there is not much info on it yet they do have some floorplans.

Last edited by Eridony; Jul 25, 2018 at 6:09 PM. Reason: added website link

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eridony View Post
Lake View Lofts owns the land to the corner for additional phases. This is the only other vacant corner, which I would call the northeast corner (the downtown grid doesn't really align north-south or east-west).

What I'm wondering is how much of the site is being developed. When I worked downtown, which was a while ago now, the land fronting Western there was being sold as one lot between Second and First. This building clearly isn't that long, but it's not clear how much of that block it will cover.

I went to their website and while there is not much info on it yet they do have some floorplans.
Thank you for the clarification. I was unaware that the Lake View Lofts developer owns the rest of the land to the corner there. It will definitely be interesting to see what becomes of that land.

The rendering doesn't appear to take up an entire blockfront there. Hopefully we'll get more information soon.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:21 PM
Changatron

A few announcements about retail spaces downtown. The first two articles are about Heritage Square Commons, which is part of the Heritage Square Townhomes project. The Commons portion features four retail spaces with a level of residential above. These articles are a few months old, but I don't think were ever posted.

The first article is about Skye Blu Boutique moving from the Century Club into a larger space.
Quote:
Women's boutique first tenant at downtown Muskegon's Heritage Square
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
March 18th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - The first retail tenant in the new Heritage Square Commons downtown Muskegon will be a well-known women's boutique.

The next article is about another current downtown tenant that also needs more space.

Quote:
Muskegon's Drip Drop Drink coffee to add 2nd downtown Muskegon shop
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
May 11th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - Drip Drop Drink Coffee Bar's second location downtown Muskegon should open by mid-June.

The final article is about an existing storefront getting a new tenant after being empty for three years. 557 Cafe goes into the old Woody's Classic Cafe space on Western Avenue.

Quote:
Cafe opens in downtown Muskegon with Michigan-made focus
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
March 26th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - The first sale at 557 Cafe downtown Muskegon was a Faygo pop, but the most popular items so far are the Reuben and Michigan chicken cherry wrap.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 8:40 PM
Changatron

A few years ago the Muskegon Farmers Market moved to a new location downtown. Now a developer is in negotiation to buy the old market property from the city to build a food processing incubator.

Quote:
Food processing incubator proposed at old Muskegon farmers market
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
July 26th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - The former Muskegon farmers market on Yuba Street could be redeveloped into a food research and manufacturing facility.

A highly-detailed rendering is also included in the article:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:42 AM

Corner Bar to reopen nearly one year after devastating fire

Quote:
Just over a year after a fire all but destroyed the Corner Bar, the popular bar and restaurant in downtown Rockford will reopen Saturday after being rebuilt.

The bar, famous for its chili dogs and its "World Famous Hot Dog Hall of Fame," is hosting a grand opening celebration at 11 a.m. Saturday. The two-story structure, 31 N. Main St., was built in 1873, making it Rockford's oldest brick building.

Orion Construction completed the reconstruction project, salvaging portions of the old building and incorporating them into the new structure..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 8:24 PM
Changatron

Not development news in itself, but partly because of the redevelopment of downtown Muskegon has won the 2018 Strong Towns contest back in April. Originally starting with cities in 22 states and two countries Muskegon won four rounds of voting, first against Marshall, MI; then Greenville, SC; then Annapolis, MD; and finally Kent, OH.

Quote:
Muskegon wins national Strong Towns contest 2018, beating Kent, Ohio
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
April 2nd, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - Muskegon won four rounds of voting competition in a row to be named winner of the 2018 Strong Towns contest.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 9:20 PM
Changatron

In development news both of Muskegon's breweries are expanding. There have already been several articles on the new downtown facility for Pigeon Hill Brewing. Ground breaking will take place this month. The tap room on Western Avenue will remain in place until 2021 when the current lease expires.

Quote:
Pigeon Hill to break ground on brewing facility in August
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
July 24th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - Pigeon Hill Brewing Company owners expect to be brewing in a new $2 million facility by March 2019.
Now news that Unruly Brewing plans to renovate a Muskegon Heights building into their production facility. This will allow the brewery to increase the amount of beer it can produce. Currently their beer is only available at their taproom because it does not have the space to produce more.

Quote:
Unruly Brewing to expand with Muskegon Heights production facility
Justine McGuire - MLIVE
August 13th, 2018

MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, MI - Unruly Brewing Co. plans to move production out of a downtown Muskegon basement and into a facility in Muskegon Heights.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:28 PM
Changatron

The deconstruction of the old Ameribank building was posted about earlier in this thread. The building now has a buyer, but it is not Port City Construction as earlier expected. It is being sold to another local developer, Core Development.

Quote:
Skeletal downtown Muskegon building to be sold for $425K
Justine McGuire - MLive
August 15th, 2018

MUSKEGON, MI - The city of Muskegon is selling the former Ameribank building to a local investor - but not the one it planned.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:20 AM
somewhere in-between

Grand Haven -

The new / rebuilt restaurant, Noto's at the Bil-Mar is almost done, and it looks good.

Quote:
Lake Michigan beach restaurant nearing completion
Justine McGuire | MLive
October 12, 2018

GRAND HAVEN, MI - Owners of a newly built restaurant on a Lake Michigan beach expect to open in time for Thanksgiving. Noto's at the Bil-Mar will replace the 46-year-old Bil-Mar Restaurant on Grand Haven's Lake Michigan beachfront.

"The view is spectacular," said co-owner Tony Noto.

The building's exterior is nearing completion, kitchen equipment is on its way, signs are expected to be in place during early November and furniture has been ordered, he said...

Source: Mike Krebs | MLive

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:31 AM
somewhere in-between

Holland -

Holland's revamped Civic Center opened to the public a few weeks ago. Ribbon cutting was on September 28.

Quote:
Holland’s Civic Center opens to the public
Sydney Smith | Holland Sentinel
September 29, 2018

HOLLAND — Finally. Anticipation was palpable as a red ribbon was unraveled and cut with large red scissors by Mayor Nancy DeBoer.

“As you know, we have tried for decades to get this job done, and we finally did,” DeBoer said. “It feels so good to be able to share this family room with this amazing family.

After being closed for more than a year for a $16.5 million renovation, the George and Lucile Heeringa Civic Center opened to the public. Several hundred people were able to enter the new space after the ribbon cutting on Saturday, Sept. 29...

Source: Sydney Smith | Holland Sentinel

Another view, from Wood TV8 -

Source: Wood TV8

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:41 AM

I hope they add some infill on that lot between Ameribank and Highpoint Flats that goes up to the sidewalk. It would be nice to add some density there instead of leaving it a courtyard as it was formerly.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 1:04 AM
somewhere in-between

South Haven -

Quote:
Bronson to build $22M hospital in South Haven
Mark Sanchez | MiBiz
September 28, 2018

Bronson Healthcare plans to design and build a new $22 million community hospital around the trends occurring within the health care industry and the Southwest Michigan market. The Kalamazoo health system intends to significantly downsize the number of licensed beds at a new Bronson South Haven Hospital and end surgical procedures, while focusing primarily on primary care, wellness, disease management and the most-used medical services locally. The new two-story hospital would rise on the east side of South Haven’s existing campus, replacing an aging facility and medical office buildings to create a “health village.” A portion of the original hospital dates back to 1941...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:20 PM

Affordable apartment complex planned for downtown Muskegon

Quote:
MUSKEGON, MI - The developer behind Muskegon's new Berkshire senior citizen apartments is planning to build another 73-unit apartment complex downtown.

The city of Muskegon has agreed to initiate the sale of a downtown parking lot located at 1021 Jefferson Street near Apple Avenue to General Capital for $455,000.

The developer plans to build low- to moderate-income apartments on that lot, which likely would include 55 one-bedroom units and 18 two-bedroom units, according to design concepts shared with Muskegon City Commissioners.

Commercial space is also planned for the first floor of the proposed three-story complex.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:37 AM
somewhere in-between

Nice! I love seeing surface parking turn over to high-density housing. Especially in Muskegon.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 PM

Muskegon Community College set to open health and fitness center

Quote:
MUSKEGON, MI - Muskegon Community College's new $14.1 million health and fitness center is finished and will open to students in January.

Construction of the 52,400-square-foot Health and Wellness Center on the college's main campus was completed about four months ahead of schedule.

Officials cut a ribbon to celebrate the facility on Tuesday, Nov. 27. Ground was broken during September 2017.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:47 PM
somewhere in-between

Wayland -

I enjoy seeing the growth of MCC, and Muskegon in general. I'm acquainted with the architecture firm that does a lot of MCC's work, and they do quality stuff, even if on a tight budget.

Here's a few photo highlights from a recent tour of the nearly-completed "United Brotherhood of Carpenters Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters (MRCC)" Union Hall and Apprentice Training Center, in Wayland. (whew, that's a mouthful). Wayland is a growing town, located halfway between Kalamazoo and Grand rapids. You may know it for the nearby Gun Lake Casino, which is also undergoing an expansion.

There were some unique challenges brought about by the client’s needs. Probably most striking was that they had to maintain a very distinct separation between the two halves of the building to remain compliant with strict union rules about overlapping functions. Therefore, the central spine / gallery between the two halves is the only space that is truly shared, and that apparently took some convincing. The entire project was required to be completed using 100% union labor (no surprise there), although they had a hard time finding local talent and had to bring in some trades from the other side of the state (hence the logic for a new training facility on the SW side). All of the building materials were required to be manufactured in the US or Canada, and the thermal envelope was requested to be designed 30% greater than required by current code. But they were not going for LEED as far as I could gather.

Not surprisingly, the structure features some nice wood framing and detailing. Although they related that the original idea was for an entire timber-framed gallery connecting the two sides, and they had to pare it back some. The overall concept in the main hall is a progression of wood finishes. You start with the rough, un-finished glulams, then the portals to different functions of the building are more finely finished. Once you are deeper into the spaces, the wood paneling and finish work is even more refined. Notice in some of the photos how all of the wood grain at the portals is perfectly aligned when it turns a corner.

Code-wise, the whole building was able to be classified as a ‘B’ use with education as an accessory use. So no building separations in a ~70,000 SF facility filled with construction materials, welding stations, a large banquette hall, classrooms, and offices. They really pushed the limits of how large the training floor (and especially the training mezzanine) could be, using exceptions and allowances in the code. So there are some pretty interesting fire protection features, as a result.

Owner occupancy is expected next month, and they plan to begin training / classes early January. Byce was the Architect. Schweitzer the CM. More info is available at the architect's website, here.

Portal thatleads to some of the classroom and training space.

Pretty cool precast concrete sink fixtures.

Portal to the Union Hall.

Inside the Union Hall, which is a banquette facility that could be utilized by outside groups.

Classroom space adjacent to the large training space.

Training space, including a large mezzanine.

Close-up of one of the utility columns - a repeating detail throughout the space - each column base in the training area provides access to every conceivable utility (water, gas, air, power at varying voltage, telecom, emergency / extinguisher access).

A bay of welding training stations. There were 24 of these in total.

One of the conference rooms.

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest