HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
And to be around nicer people. I know lots of Torontonians who are thinking about leaving or already have. Most went to the Maritimes. Affordability was an issue but they all seemed fed up with the people here too. There are so many rude, inconsiderate, aggressive people in Toronto. They bully their way in front of you, don't care about anyone but themselves, and if you dare object to appalling and/or rude behaviour they fly into a rage.

My sister got screamed at just 3 days ago by a 35 year old couple for giving them 2m clearance on the sidewalk. My sister was being courteous and in return they start yelling at her? Crap like this happens almost on a monthly basis. Everyone I know has had horrible experiences like this. And not just once or twice. Its ongoing. You do your best to avoid people altogether but is that any way to live?

About two-thirds of my friends have left in the last 5 years. I like the city but maybe it's time to get out too.
Unfortunately, some new immigrants still behave like they did in the old country. Cut in line. Be rude. Shove. Hoard scarce goods. Maybe they will become more polite. Of course some native born are inconsiderate as well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:08 AM

Soaring prices & empty shelves

This is getting very concerning. Could the shortages and inflation get worse? Has anybody started to buy more than needed to prepare? Should stores ration and limit purchases?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:33 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ you don't say.......whatever happened to "new york run by the swiss"?
that died when the 70+ storey condos started rising
apparently now it's New York run by Canucks impersonating NYers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
This is getting very concerning. Could the shortages and inflation get worse? Has anybody started to buy more than needed to prepare? Should stores ration and limit purchases?
Yes. I ordered a case of “spray and forget it” shower cleaner (Tilex) from Amazon because I hate cleaning the shower and you couldn’t get it in 2020. Also some Lysol wipes because those were impossible to find for most of that year.

Also I now have enough Gillette Proglide razor blades to last the rest of my expected life because I read the price of those is likely to go up and they have always been stupid expensive anyway.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Unfortunately, some new immigrants still behave like they did in the old country. Cut in line. Be rude. Shove. Hoard scarce goods. Maybe they will become more polite.
And that’s just the Americans moving to Canada.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
And to be around nicer people. I know lots of Torontonians who are thinking about leaving or already have. Most went to the Maritimes. Affordability was an issue but they all seemed fed up with the people here too. There are so many rude, inconsiderate, aggressive people in Toronto. They bully their way in front of you, don't care about anyone but themselves, and if you dare object to appalling and/or rude behaviour they fly into a rage.

My sister got screamed at just 3 days ago by a 35 year old couple for giving them 2m clearance on the sidewalk. My sister was being courteous and in return they start yelling at her? Crap like this happens almost on a monthly basis. Everyone I know has had horrible experiences like this. And not just once or twice. Its ongoing. You do your best to avoid people altogether but is that any way to live?

About two-thirds of my friends have left in the last 5 years. I like the city but maybe it's time to get out too.

ugh, even toronto getting them big city blues now ...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:52 PM

Pittsburgh: air quality and the screwed up state level politics of Pennsylvania

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:02 AM
America's Hometown

Philadelphia...that 30 years of slow moving progress goes down the drain and it's the 1970's Philly all over again.

I was in the city today and it just still feels off because of the pandemic and the graffiti is starting to get out of control. Some of it can be very artful and cool looking but the tagging crap is not that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:26 PM

A big effing snowstorm can be sweet, but when you’re driving in blizzard conditions, it is scary. My main concern is the other drivers, the matamors who need to prove their car is indomitable

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I note most of the San Francisco threads have been closed, so I wanted to post this here, lest it make San Fransciscans feel better - they're not alone.

A supermarket in central Lyon, France is now closing at 5 pm due to problems with "incivilities". They used to close at 7 pm and a pre-pandemic they'd close at 8:30 pm.

As the reporter was setting up to do her report, a security guard scuffled with a patron (or non-patron).

For those who can understand French, here is the video.

https://twitter.com/BFMLyon/status/1460310920786284552

The reporter also mentioned that the local McDonald's now closes at 3 pm.

In my metro area the McDonald's on Rideau St. (main downtown street) in Ottawa across the river from me also reduced its hours due to these types of problems.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:04 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Sharks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Sharks.
Loan, or pool?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 3:45 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Loan, or pool?
This

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Pittsburgh: air quality and the screwed up state level politics of Pennsylvania
Isn't the P'burgh air quality vastly improved from the old days?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Lol. Crazy scary, yes!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 11:25 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I'm going to add another thing I fear about living in this city: Drivers. I thought I had seen bad drivers in Asheville, where I have personally witnessed someone getting pulled over for traveling down the passing lane of a six-lane street in a motorized wheelchair, people doing U-turns on the interstate by driving through the median, and someone stop their car in the middle of traffic on a bridge that carries nearly 100,000 cars per day, get out, and dance in the road. Also, people in Asheville have been arrested for driving the wrong way on the interstate and for driving on the runway at the airport.

But Greenville.

Here in Greenville, I have never in my life witnessed so many cars that, feeling constricted by the confines of the road, yearn to breathe free and launch themselves into landscaping, storefronts, houses, and pedestrians. When they built the new federal courthouse downtown, they lined the streetfront with maples. One was mowed down by the second day. At the interstate exit closest to my house, the hillside is, was, beautifully landscaped with redbud trees and flowering bushes. It still is, I guess, aside from the trench bulldozed through it by a Greenville Driver (tm). Everywhere throughout the city you can see where this car or that car plowed through the landscaping in front of businesses or in medians. At most major intersections there is glass, plastic, and metal litter collected in little drifts where cars have collided. There are wrecks that cause backups daily on every interstate and major road around here -- I saw the aftermath a four-car pileup myself yesterday. Last week I saw a car that was tailgating me get run off the road by a delivery truck that merged without looking, and the week before that I was driving toward downtown and got in the middle of a car chase that went around me. You can also count on people running red lights. It's a given, to the point that when the light turns green, everyone pauses to make sure that everyone running the red light can do so safely.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'm going to add another thing I fear about living in this city: Drivers. I thought I had seen bad drivers in Asheville, where I have personally witnessed someone getting pulled over for traveling down the passing lane of a six-lane street in a motorized wheelchair, people doing U-turns on the interstate by driving through the median, and someone stop their car in the middle of traffic on a bridge that carries nearly 100,000 cars per day, get out, and dance in the road. Also, people in Asheville have been arrested for driving the wrong way on the interstate and for driving on the runway at the airport.

But Greenville.

Here in Greenville, I have never in my life witnessed so many cars that, feeling constricted by the confines of the road, yearn to breathe free and launch themselves into landscaping, storefronts, houses, and pedestrians. When they built the new federal courthouse downtown, they lined the streetfront with maples. One was mowed down by the second day. At the interstate exit closest to my house, the hillside is, was, beautifully landscaped with redbud trees and flowering bushes. It still is, I guess, aside from the trench bulldozed through it by a Greenville Driver (tm). Everywhere throughout the city you can see where this car or that car plowed through the landscaping in front of businesses or in medians. At most major intersections there is glass, plastic, and metal litter collected in little drifts where cars have collided. There are wrecks that cause backups daily on every interstate and major road around here -- I saw the aftermath a four-car pileup myself yesterday. Last week I saw a car that was tailgating me get run off the road by a delivery truck that merged without looking, and the week before that I was driving toward downtown and got in the middle of a car chase that went around me. You can also count on people running red lights. It's a given, to the point that when the light turns green, everyone pauses to make sure that everyone running the red light can do so safely.
This warms my heart as I get ready to walk to the El. (subway )

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 12:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

But Greenville.

Here in Greenville, I have never in my life witnessed so many cars that, feeling constricted by the confines of the road, yearn to breathe free and launch themselves into landscaping, storefronts, houses, and pedestrians. When they built the new federal courthouse downtown, they lined the streetfront with maples. One was mowed down by the second day. At the interstate exit closest to my house, the hillside is, was, beautifully landscaped with redbud trees and flowering bushes. It still is, I guess, aside from the trench bulldozed through it by a Greenville Driver (tm). Everywhere throughout the city you can see where this car or that car plowed through the landscaping in front of businesses or in medians. At most major intersections there is glass, plastic, and metal litter collected in little drifts where cars have collided. There are wrecks that cause backups daily on every interstate and major road around here -- I saw the aftermath a four-car pileup myself yesterday. Last week I saw a car that was tailgating me get run off the road by a delivery truck that merged without looking, and the week before that I was toward downtown and got in the middle of a car chase that went around me. You can also count on people running red lights. It's a given, to the point that when the light turns green, everyone pauses to make sure that everyone running the red light can do so safely.
sounds like st louis. i watch the early news every morning to wake up with a very early bird toddler and its always a car on fire on the arch steps or a car driving so fast it launched into the air on to someones roof. or fire trucks or police cars colliding.

stltoday.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 2:58 PM

[QUOTE=Centropolis;9454280]sounds like st louis. i watch the early news every morning to wake up with a very early bird toddler and its always a car on fire on the arch steps or a car driving so fast it launched into the air on to someones roof. or fire trucks or police cars colliding.

Wow. How did that thing get up there, Centro?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Seattle doesn't have many natural disasters, as far as I am aware, but the winters are long and wet.
Mt. Rainier is a friggin volcano. Even with no pyroclastic flow, there is the risk of lahars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions