HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:50 AM

A couple of snapshots I took with my phone from the car, sorry about the quality.

The Beaudry standing tall:

8th & Figueroa is well on its way to its ultimate 501' and 42 stories:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:01 PM

Nice! Both coming along nicely

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:51 PM

Looks like 8th & Fig must be up to level 28-30? Really like how both buildings are shaping up!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative61 View Post
Looks like 8th & Fig must be up to level 28-30? Really like how both buildings are shaping up!
Agreed, they are both sharp. The Beaudry has good proportions and I love the dark skin. As for 8th and Fig, I think you're right that structurally it is already in the upper 20s. I couldn't get another presentable pic better highlighting the skin, but it looks really nice in person.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 5:05 PM

This vid shows how the hoxton hotel's large screens (3:41, 4:37, 6:37) give a more active look to the convention ctr area. I recall when Fig St around there was totally not ready for visitors, out of towners...now if the oceanwide proj finally can be completed. Any place, any city comes off better when ppl are out & about, even if they're adults dressed like for Halloween...lol.

https://youtu.be/a2GiOkXLHx8

^ You can see what MTA trains headed to dtla...the expo line...looks like when they're busier & not just relied upon by largely lower income ppl. Transit use is down in LA...the MTA & city officials better get their act together. As it is, fwys...& uber....still remain the main way most ppl travel throughout LA, to dtla included. The subway down Wilshire will fall short if the city can't keep things clean & safe...

https://youtu.be/sibTwMh3D40

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
This vid shows how the hoxton hotel's large screens (3:41, 4:37, 6:37) give a more active look to the convention ctr area. I recall when Fig St around there was totally not ready for visitors, out of towners...now if the oceanwide proj finally can be completed. Any place, any city comes off better when ppl are out & about, even if they're adults dressed like for Halloween...lol.

https://youtu.be/a2GiOkXLHx8

^ You can see what MTA trains headed to dtla...the expo line...looks like when they're busier & not just relied upon by largely lower income ppl. Transit use is down in LA...the MTA & city officials better get their act together. As it is, fwys...& uber....still remain the main way most ppl travel throughout LA, to dtla included. The subway down Wilshire will fall short if the city can't keep things clean & safe...

https://youtu.be/sibTwMh3D40
It's not the Hoxton. Thats on Broadway. This is the Moxy.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
It's not the Hoxton. Thats on Broadway. This is the Moxy.
And Moxy is on Figueroa.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 11:30 PM

It's nice that dtla is getting enough new hotels in both new & old bldgs that I'm losing track of which is which. I hope the former standard & nomad hotels are both up & running in the next several months. I know the old Gianni bofa bank bldg on 7th has been bought out by another company specializing in luxury hotels rms.

As for the clark & trinity bldgs?

meanwhile, I still can't figure out why the garfield bldg at 8th & Hill St remains unchanged yrs after the fact...

Video Link

The old Union bank bldg across the street from it was renovated & turned into apts over 10 yrs ago, as this vid from around 2008 shows....

https://vhost1.chapman.edu/player/embed_player.php?vid=2400&width=440&height=272&autoplay=yes

You can see the garfield bldg at the start of this vid...it's still vacant & now tagged. there's grafitti on one of its upper levels...the youtuber later passes the merrit bldg across from the apple tower theater bldg....getting that classic old bldg finally cleaned & renovated has taken forever...but it finally has been done.

Video Link

There was a time in LA's history when devlprs & property owners were so weak or apathetic, the city needed a redevelopment agency. If economic problems and city govnt become major issues again, trying to prime the pump may be once more staring the ppl of dtla in the face.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:54 AM

Red, white, and blue:

source

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:16 AM

Every time i see the 611 tower i get depressed. Could be turned into a condo tower or something. Granted the slender windows might bug some people but hey.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 2:59 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

There was a plan to convert it into condos 10(ish) years ago, but it fell through. I don't recall why. And I count 27 floors before the formwork on 8th & Figueroa, so LAnative61 seems about right, probably 29-30 floors up currently, and 12-13 left to go.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:43 PM

Wasn’t there plans to remove the glass slide from the US Bank Tower if I’m not mistaken?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:27 PM

^ the slide has since been removed from the bldg, but the restaurant at the top, which was originally office space, remains.

The youtuber below walks by...

2:44: The yard, which has replaced the former Water court. Some have said they miss the pond & fountains....maybe the property owner is trolling them by allowing the lawn to become yellow?

3:17: a row of what I believe are new benches near the angel's flight station...i recall being there a little over 2 yrs ago & guessing the owner didn't want ppl, mainly homeless types, stopping, sitting & loitering around the top of the hill. When the Angel's Landing proj is built, that will give more completeness to that corner of bunker hill....sure wish the equity apt proj across from it, on Hill street, had broken ground.

5:58: some diners in the Omni hotel's restaurant, so it's nice seeing a few ppl out & about.

12:40: briefly near the grand ave proj without fencing all around it.

19:27: the renovated wells fargo center renamed Halo.

22:21: a restaurant like Nick & stef. Such businesses have to turn over a certain number of customers per day in order to cover their bottom line. I hope they're doing ok.

Video Link

yea, this post is kind of long & comes with photos, links & vids. But when trying to figure out whether this pic is getting closer to being more than a PR tagline at the Bloc, a short comment or brief opinion isn't easy.

dtla doeesn't come with cable cars, super talls or lattice or Gothic towers built in the 1880s...still, it's much better today than it was 10, 20, 70 yrs ago. It's inching closer to where it can be loved & no longer judged as mainly a work in progress.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:42 AM

Sunset reflects on downtown and the Beaudry, from LA Reddit:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:22 AM

^^^ No matter how many years go by, this shot will always be iconic, no matter how much the skyline changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
There was a plan to convert it into condos 10(ish) years ago, but it fell through. I don't recall why. And I count 27 floors before the formwork on 8th & Figueroa, so LAnative61 seems about right, probably 29-30 floors up currently, and 12-13 left to go.
Imagine the hundreds of people infused in that area if that tower went condo.... would be amazing to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:10 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I'm digging the mini skyline developing in Hollywood in the lower right corner of that pic. None of those buildings were there more than 7 years ago.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 6:36 PM

nbclosangeles.com/conrad los angeles

An interview last month of the hotel's manager:

https://youtu.be/bFy_anCWKPY?t=1425

With all the new smaller hotels opening in dtla, I hope they do well. Since the same type of devlpt has occurred or is occurring in many major cities throughout the US & world, if dt can't absorb the supply, that will be a fumble...for both the hotel rms in the Grand & its restaurants. however, I know other businesses in dt like the restaurant bestia, way off in the SE corner of the gritty arts dist, has managed to do well in spite of it being in a very out of the way section of LA.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:24 PM

Skid Row Housing's SP7 apartments debut in DTLA

The project is named for its location at San Pedro and 7th Streets

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
July 7, 2022

At a ribbon-cutting ceremony last month, Skid Row Housing Trust marked the completion of SP7, the non-profit developers latest permanent supportive housing complex in Downtown Los Angeles.

The project, named for its located at the northwest corner of San Pedro and 7th Streets, includes two components: a newly-built seven-story, 81-unit structure at 519. E 7th Street and 19 rehabbed apartments in San Pedro House at 647 S. San Pedro Street. In total, the project features 99 apartments for formerly unhoused persons - including veterans.

“With the opening of SP7 Apartments and San Pedro House, we are one step closer to realizing the vision of a brighter and more equitable future for everyone in Los Angeles,” said Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. “This project opens a pathway to healing, hope, and a safe place to call home. A place to recover, rebuild and reimagine a prosperous and stable life."

“I finally have a home with a key and a door that locks," said new resident Chantel Jones at the ceremony. "I have somewhere safe to lay my head at night. I have somewhere private where I can chill, be myself, and decide who can come into my space. I am proud of the work I have done to get here.”

KFA Architecture designed the podium-type building, which is described as having a "sleek, contemporary look with several shared roof decks and courtyards." Other project elements include a community room, a laundry facility, recreation spaces, and on-site supportive services.

Other members of the design and construction team include Snyder Langston Residential, and AMJ Construction.

SP7, which was built with financial support from Measure HHH and other state and local sources, opens two years after the Flor 401 and 649 Lofts, two additional supportive housing built by Skid Row Housing located a short walk west along 7th Street.

In addition to other Skid Row Housing developments, the SP7 site sits one block south of the intersection of 6th Street and San Pedro, where Weingart Center broke ground last year on a 19-story tower which will rank as L.A.'s largest supportive housing complex at completion.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:25 PM

And the pics:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:38 PM

So who's going to the 6th Street Viaduct opening this weekend?

Photo by Gary Leonard

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations