HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post

have no idea what the benefits of skyscrapers are, or why so many people like them?
Highrises save space; they squeeze more people into a smaller footprint. But how many people or how tall they are seems to me to be beside the point. Is the Seagram Building or the Crown Zellerbach building of less importance because it's only 20 or so stories tall?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:07 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Highrises save space; they squeeze more people into a smaller footprint. But how many people or how tall they are seems to me to be beside the point. Is the Seagram Building or the Crown Zellerbach building of less importance because it's only 20 or so stories tall?
Yes. I worked at One Bush (formerly known as Crown Zellerbach) for four years. Job growth in the Bay Area will either concentrate in the dense, transit-oriented core or it will sprawl endlessly into the hinterlands. A building that fits more workers in the transit-rich core is better for the environment and makes public transit more sustainable than the alternatives. A building that can fit 5,000 or 10,000 or 20,000 workers within a BART, Muni, GG Transit, AC Transit, and SamTrans hub is far more important than a building that can only fit a few hundred workers on the same footprint. Density is important. Urbanity is important. Public transit usage is important.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:41 AM
lite

^There is a certain point where it becomes debilitating to the worker. Processed light and air. A dystopian, over-built Tokyo would suck in reality. But perhaps that's the point.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
^There is a certain point where it becomes debilitating to the worker. Processed light and air. A dystopian, over-built Tokyo would suck in reality. But perhaps that's the point.
You think the air is that much different 1070 feet up? Do you wear an oxygen mask when you go to Twin Peaks?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:

HVAC and Lighting would be the same in a sprawling 1 story office building. Have you ever been to Tokyo? You think it sucks?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
You think Tokyo is dystopian? If you dislike heavy urbanity, density, tall buildings, high public transit usage, and other things like that, than maybe you should live in a small town. San Francisco is not a small town...it's a large, dense, city, with no room to expand outwards, and a strong economy, so tall buildings make plenty of sense.

Also, processed light and air exist everywhere, not just skyscrapers. Ever use heat or AC or a dehumidifier? Ever fly in a plane or ride on certain trains/buses? Ever use a light bulb for anything?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Yes. I worked at One Bush (formerly known as Crown Zellerbach) for four years. Job growth in the Bay Area will either concentrate in the dense, transit-oriented core or it will sprawl endlessly into the hinterlands.
That horse has already run away unless you refuse to believe that there are job centers in the Bay Area other than in the Financial District or South of Market.

But my original point was, why all this fascination with "mine is bigger than yours is"?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
That horse has already run away unless you refuse to believe that there are job centers in the Bay Area other than in the Financial District or South of Market.

But my original point was, why all this fascination with "mine is bigger than yours is"?
because frankly the fascination has very little to do with "mine is bigger than yours". SF is in dire need of a central peak in the skyline for aesthetic reasons, and there a very practical reasons that cities like SF, Chicago, NY have taller buildings than say Gilroy, CA.

If it was all about "mine is bigger than yours" huge buildings would be built in the middle of nowhere because it would be cheaper and easier to do so.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
because frankly the fascination has very little to do with "mine is bigger than yours". SF is in dire need of a central peak in the skyline for aesthetic reasons, and there a very practical reasons that cities like SF, Chicago, NY have taller buildings than say Gilroy, CA.

If it was all about "mine is bigger than yours" huge buildings would be built in the middle of nowhere because it would be cheaper and easier to do so.
Ummmm, no. Gilroy isn't a center for anything but growing garlic. San Francisco, on the other hand, is a business center in a large metro. area, but why would a 1000' building make it less so than two 500' buildings. As for a "peak" in the skyline, don't the Transamerica building and Nob Hill do that already?

Finally, San Francisco is San Francisco. Unlike other cities, it doesn't need this building to make it special. I don't care whether they build it or not, frankly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Ummmm, no. Gilroy isn't a center for anything but growing garlic. San Francisco, on the other hand, is a business center in a large metro. area, but why would a 1000' building make it less so than two 500' buildings. As for a "peak" in the skyline, don't the Transamerica building and Nob Hill do that already?

Finally, San Francisco is San Francisco. Unlike other cities, it doesn't need this building to make it special. I don't care whether they build it or not, frankly.
^^Undebatable.

In other news, Rincon Hill tower 2 expects construction to commence this summer and will be built as rentals.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Perhaps the Rincon Hill threads needs to be brought back from the dead!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

As a visitor, I can say that YES, your city does need more interesting architecture and vibrancy, and this building will help. In fact, much of the downtown area in SF is dull, boring and needs spicing up with some new energy. Also, I find your skyline very underwhelming, and this building will make it far more attractive.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

No offense but this website is called skyscraperpage.com, people like tall buildings here. If you can't see how a 1000+ foot building is more exciting in SF than two 500 some footers, then I am at a loss for words.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:41 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
As a visitor, I can say that YES, your city does need more interesting architecture and vibrancy, and this building will help. In fact, much of the downtown area in SF is dull, boring and needs spicing up with some new energy. Also, I find your skyline very underwhelming, and this building will make it far more attractive.
I guess as a native to the SF Bay Area, the financial district can be somewhat barren on a non-weekday or perhaps even architecturally, but the city offers so much more than simply the central business district that serves its function well. Moreover, I welcome additional changes to the skyline, yet I don't desire the financial district to imitate the Loop in Chicago or Lower Manhattan in New York City. Each city has its distinctive characteristics, but they shouldn't necessarily emulate each other.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I am at a loss for words.
And how many of them did it take you to say that?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKidD View Post
I guess as a native to the SF Bay Area, the financial district can be somewhat barren on a non-weekday or perhaps even architecturally, but the city offers so much more than simply the central business district that serves its function well. Moreover, I welcome additional changes to the skyline, yet I don't desire the financial district to imitate the Loop in Chicago or Lower Manhattan in New York City. Each city has its distinctive characteristics, but they shouldn't necessarily emulate each other.
Bingo!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:12 AM

After all, it's not as though San Francisco were Houston or some god-awful place like that that had nothing but tall buildings.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 8:47 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
And how many of them did it take you to say that?
For one who disdains forumers' interest in this project and has declared he "doesn't care" if the tower gets built or not, you are spending quite a bit of time in this thread antagonizing those who do. Your pseudo-psychological projections of forumers' purported deficiencies, and your existential conflict with this entire website's raison d'etre, are inappropriate and unproductive. If you wish to contribute something to the discussion of the Transbay Tower and Terminal, please do so--or please move along.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
If you wish to contribute something to the discussion of the Transbay Tower and Terminal, please do so
I have. I have said, I don't care whether it gets built or not. It adds nothing to San Francisco, a city I dearly love, and even if it gets built, whether it's 1000' or 500' or 100', doesn't matter. Happy now?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:26 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I have. I have said, I don't care whether it gets built or not. It adds nothing to San Francisco, a city I dearly love, and even if it gets built, whether it's 1000' or 500' or 100', doesn't matter. Happy now?

This is a website dedicated to skyscrapers (tall buildings)

I'ts kind of like me joining a sports forum right now and complaining about how much I don't care about sports...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
This is a website dedicated to skyscrapers (tall buildings)
Oh really? So topics such as transportation or L.A. Noir don't really exist and all those aerial and Flickr pictures contain skyscrapers?

What are you, twelve?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development