HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:34 PM
The City

Just to be clear: I am not fully satisfied with a ‘declaration of reopening’.

For now it is fine.

But I would like to see legislatures (not Courts) finally define for the future the types of emergency powers Governors and Mayors will from here on be allowed to take, the degree of said powers, and the duration. We really need a major clarification of these things moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:15 AM

Chicago's mayor came out today basically saying we are decreasing restrictions from here on.

The city's restrictions now are about the same as most southern states were back in June lol

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Chicago's mayor came out today basically saying we are decreasing restrictions from here on.

The city's restrictions now are about the same as most southern states were back in June lol
Perfect! I arrive in Chicago for the Summer a week from this weekend. Get my second shot this weekend.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:35 AM

41.7% of all adults in metro New Orleans were fully vaccinated as of yesterday. There are only 38 people in the hospitals positive with COVID-19. The highest vaccination rates were in the city of New Orleans with over 45% of the adult population now fully vaccinated. https://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/

Unfortunately, the mayor has opted to keep bar closures at 1 am. Bars closing early on Bourbon Street has resulted in several fights, shootings, and stabbings taking place on the street in the 1 to 4 am time period. I'm not sure why the mayor decided to do this as I believe ending last call and going back to 24 hour bars would curtail some of these incidents. Drunk people about to fight in a bar would be quickly subdued by bouncers and placed in the drunk tank at Orleans Parish Prison by the NOPD. Instead they are on the street, still drinking, and get into arguments and fights with no bouncers present to quell the issue before it gets out of hand. The NOPD can only do so much with the large crowds forced out onto the street at 1 am. There were always a few incidents each year on Bourbon even with the bars open, but not to same frequency seen in the past couple of weeks.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:31 AM

The rest of the US needs to open up a lot more already if for no other reason then it is just getting impossible to do anything in South Florida because everything is full. We tried to get tickets to Disney for a little 4-day weekend in a few weeks but the parks are fully booked for the next month+, tried looking into places in the Keys, Marco Island, Sanibel. Nope all booked. Sanibel had a grand total of 1 air bnb available...for 1300 a night. Hotels in the keys that usually go for ~350 a night are going to 800 a night for Mother's day weekend. The funniest was a trailer in a trailer park in Marathon asking 400 a night (they'll probably get it).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Mayor DeBlasio announced this morning that NYC will be 100% reopened by July 1:

But it's not clear yet if the city's plan has been coordinated with the state.
I find it odd that municipal leaders have just upped and decided to ‘reopen’ now, after well over a year of doom and gloom (partly motivated by partisan politics, partly legit), even though we aren’t yet close to herd immunity.

Makes “follow the science” sound more and more like a buzz phrase than anything authentic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The rest of the US needs to open up a lot more already if for no other reason then it is just getting impossible to do anything in South Florida because everything is full. We tried to get tickets to Disney for a little 4-day weekend in a few weeks but the parks are fully booked for the next month+, tried looking into places in the Keys, Marco Island, Sanibel. Nope all booked. Sanibel had a grand total of 1 air bnb available...for 1300 a night. Hotels in the keys that usually go for ~350 a night are going to 800 a night for Mother's day weekend. The funniest was a trailer in a trailer park in Marathon asking 400 a night (they'll probably get it).
Yeah, as I stated in my other post it looks like the motivation to reopen is not entirely scientific. I think municipal leaders in New York, California cities, Chicago, etc are probably growing keen to the fact that they MUST spur economic activity now or we are in a do or die situation where the economic damage will cross a threshold of being catastrophic. We are running out of money to print!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:47 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i’m on my 9th vaccination

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:57 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I've heard of countless people having bad reactions to the vaccine (i've known a few people personally who've reacted to it) so that's one reason like me, they're reluctant. Also, the odds of getting covid are around 10% in the US (the odds are even much lower here in Canada) and dropping and even if you do get it most people only experience mild to moderate symptoms. Virtually no one under the age of ~80 dies from it so it's really not a big deal even if you are one of the unfortunate minority to contract it. The much bigger problem is the government trying to protect us from it
In other words, you're replying on everyone else to get vaccinated so you don't feel you have to, even though you have no medical reason whatsoever to not be. How special of you, Phil. Dare I say, how selfish of you!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I find it odd that municipal leaders have just upped and decided to ‘reopen’ now, after well over a year of doom and gloom (partly motivated by partisan politics, partly legit), even though we aren’t yet close to herd immunity.

Makes “follow the science” sound more and more like a buzz phrase than anything authentic.
It's not odd at all. NYC has a fairly high vaccination rate, and we're two weeks into vaccines being open to city resident that wants one. We weren't in this situation a year ago, or even a month ago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:26 PM
The City

But the CDC isn't saying to "completely reopen"

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think the CDC has given any guidance on criteria for reopening. Michigan just created their own guidelines for "reopening" that are tied to vaccination metrics.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Part of it is probably what you mentioned before regarding the economic ramifications. I think the other part is Israel.....

From what I understand, Israel is pretty much open now, with whatever remaining restrictions set to go away pretty soon. However, their numbers have continued to crater and erode away, which means they are approaching herd immunity (if they aren't there already).

So, it's much less risky for leaders of cities to start planning on opening up when they see what happened in Israel.

Or maybe I am assuming too much on behalf of city leaders lol.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Part of it is probably what you mentioned before regarding the economic ramifications. I think the other part is Israel.....

From what I understand, Israel is pretty much open now, with whatever remaining restrictions set to go away pretty soon. However, their numbers have continued to crater and erode away, which means they are approaching herd immunity (if they aren't there already).

So, it's much less risky for leaders of cities to start planning on opening up when they see what happened in Israel.

Or maybe I am assuming too much on behalf of city leaders lol.
In the case of Chicago/Illinois, through mid April, it looked like we might follow Michigan with a big surge, but it has since started receding, probably due to vaccinations starting to kick in.

From Crain's:

(also from this chart you can pretty much intuit the dates that indoor dining was reopened in the fall and again in the spring)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:19 PM
The City

^ Definitely due to vaccines. Science rocks!

That’s why we need to keep at it. The youngsters need to stop being such turd burglars and to get their damn shots.

I convinced a young ex-con the other day to get his vaccines. He was spouting the usual garbage he had heard from the anti-vaccine jackasses (what are the long term effects, it was rushed, it might be dangerous) and I explained how great of a thing vaccines are. I hope he goes and gets his shots. Free immunity! This is the greatest thing you can do for yourself

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
^ Definitely due to vaccines. Science rocks!

That’s why we need to keep at it. The youngsters need to stop being such turd burglars and to get their damn shots.

I convinced a young ex-con the other day to get his vaccines. He was spouting the usual garbage he had heard from the anti-vaccine jackasses (what are the long term effects, it was rushed, it might be dangerous) and I explained how great of a thing vaccines are. I hope he goes and gets his shots. Free immunity! This is the greatest thing you can do for yourself
yeah, mid april is probably when a significant fraction of people started to get immunity given the lackluster early vaccination effort here.

What's interesting is after playing catchup, Illinois is now leading Wisconsin in % of people with first shot, and I doubt Wisconsin will ever catch up. Wisconsin still leads in % of people with second shot but I suspect that will be short-lived.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:13 PM
The City

Getting the last 30% or so vaccinated will be like pulling teeth.

A good proportion of America's population is just full of dingleberries who don't know their heads from their asses when it comes to science. And educated people are sometimes actually worse than the uneducated types when it comes to this, because many have a false sense of knowledge about things when in reality they really don't know what they are talking about.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:42 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

A good proportion of America's population is just full of dingleberries who don't know their heads from their asses when it comes to science. And educated people are sometimes actually worse than the uneducated types when it comes to this, because many have a false sense of knowledge about things when in reality they really don't know what they are talking about.
Yeah a surprising amount of the vaccine hesitant folks are actually educated, well informed people. They’ve just made the personal decision to wait or not get it, unfortunately for the worse of the overall public health of the country.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yeah a surprising amount of the vaccine hesitant folks are actually educated, well informed people. They’ve just made the personal decision to wait or not get it, unfortunately for the worse of the overall public health of the country.
Quote:

THIS^^

The antivaxxers are much worse than the vaccine hesitant, because with the latter there is a possibility of persuading them to get the vaccine (Kudos TUP). Of the current hodgepodge of Covid anti-vaxxers the worst are the well educated, often liberal/progressive folks. For years they are the ones who have caused the most difficulty for public health departments, school districts, and society generally. They are as bad as climate change deniers.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 9:43 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
THIS^^

The antivaxxers are much worse than the vaccine hesitant, because with the latter there is a possibility of persuading them to get the vaccine (Kudos TUP). Of the current hodgepodge of Covid anti-vaxxers the worst are the well educated, often liberal/progressive folks. For years they are the ones who have caused the most difficulty for public health departments, school districts, and society generally. They are as bad as climate change deniers.
well, I'm halfway there. And I'm highly educated. And pro-science. And pro-vaccine and all that. My six week window elapsed a week ago Thursday. My decades of mild, manageable tinnitus that got suddenly and dramatically worse after my 1st March 11 Moderna vaccine continues to rage in my head 24/7. Thankfully, more and more people who suffered the same fate as me are beginning to speak out, and a FB group of us went from 0 to over 2,000 members over the past month or so. I just couldn't risk dose #2 taking my current "severe" tinnitus into "unbearable" territory. My consideralby large circle of friends knows what's going on with me, and thankfully it hasn't disuaded any of them from following through with their second dose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions