HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 11:56 PM
BANNED

I saw something about that on Socketsite. I hope they aren't sticking those trees in the ground there just for the couple of years this terminal will be in use. I hope the long-range plan for the site (I think it's to be a park) incorporates the palms in that spot.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:03 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the future Transbay Park will be just south of Temporary Terminal palm tree area. The will also be a new alley running through. It appears there could be a different landscape arrangement than the newly placed palm trees.

see previously posted Steelblue rendering:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:06 AM

I remember reading somewhere (don't remember where) that these palm trees were a type that was relatively easy to move (thus the reason they were chosen), and the plan was to relocate them after the temporary terminal is demolished. Not sure where though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:04 AM

My understanding was that they received the palms for free...I believe it was from AC Transit that got them with some land that they acquired. And the last I heard was that they weren't sure what would be done with them when the temp terminal was torn down, It was acknowledged that they are quite transplantable, but it's not clear if there will be money for moving for them or a good place to move them to. I hope they aren't just tossed away.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
My understanding was that they received the palms for free...I believe it was from AC Transit that got them with some land that they acquired. And the last I heard was that they weren't sure what would be done with them when the temp terminal was torn down, It was acknowledged that they are quite transplantable, but it's not clear if there will be money for moving for them or a good place to move them to. I hope they aren't just tossed away.
Considering what a mature palm costs, I'd certainly hope not (15' to 20' Washingtonia robusta palms like those are $1200--these look taller than that to me).
Source: http://www.paradisepalmco.com/produc...ngtonia%20Palm

They can grow to 100'

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The large surface lot that will hold the west end of the new terminal has been completely fenced off:

They had fenced off sections of it at a time to take core samples, but this is the first I've noticed the whole thing cordoned off.

There are several large pieces of equipment on site, including this tall rig:

This is much larger than the equipment they were using for core samples. Could they be driving test piles? I didn't have time to walk around for a closer look.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:26 AM

Cool! Someone is spending money, and that means somebody wants to do something

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:38 AM
Martian

Sorry to be asking this, as I'm sure it's been discussed already multiple times, but I just didn't feel like reading 100+ pages, so I'm just gonna ask:

I read on wikipedia they were considering reducing the height of the three 1,200 ft towers down to 1,000 feet, because at 1,200 they would cast a shadow over Justin Herman Plaza.

Has a final decision on this been made yet? If not, do you know whether they're leaning toward one or the other?

From what I've seen almost every time a height reduction has been proposed for a tower project it's been approved, so I was pretty disappointed to find out about this...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm not sure what you mean by "three towers" but the Transbay tower is being considered at 1000'. What wasn't clear, as I recall, was if that was roof height or structural. There was some talk about a semi-transparent and/or tapered crown that would minimize shadow and possibly extend above 1000'.

This was over a year ago, so if you want to read that part of the discussion try pages around the 80s and 90s.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:58 PM
Martian

Thanks! I know, I am WAY behind. I'll read back.

According to the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...ay_development

there are supposed to be 3 towers at 1,200 ft (or 1,000 now) - the Transbay terminal + 2 more - Renzo Piano Tower I an II. I'm sure that article hasn't been updated in very very long time though so I'm guessing they've decided to scrap the other two and just go with Transbay tower as the sole tower to reach 1,000?

Yeah, I'll just read back 20 pages or so and try to get a clue. Thanks again.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 6:42 PM
BANNED

The Piano-designed project across Mission St. is probably dead for now (I vaguely recall the land is even for sale) and I believe the TransBay tower itself is more or less on indefinite hold. There's simply no need for that much new office space in SF right now.

But the TransBay Joint Powers Authority has Hines's money--what they paid for the tower site--so they can proceed with the terminal building and Hines, or some other developer, has a powerful incentive to build the tower eventually (although maybe not as the all-office project previously envisioned).

The Piano project was not all office. It was mixed use including a hotel and condos. The height limits continue to allow a very tall project at that location and eventually I believe one will be built there, but perhaps to a different design and perhaps not until the next (or the one after that) boom.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 8:14 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I see, the Renzo proposal. I think the latest zoning has that site slated for 800' now.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Cool! Someone is spending money, and that means somebody wants to do something

Maybe they need to do deeper test boring because of the new plan to build the train box in the first phase.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 8:55 PM
Martian

Thank you for your answers.

This is somewhat off-topic, but in relation to what you mentioned about the height limits - I know they've been very relaxed, but do you know what the actual current limit is? Or does it depend on the location, because of shadows and such?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:40 PM

^Are you talking city-wide?

The height limit for SF is 40'. The only places where it is higher are in places where a neighborhood plan has been implemented or spot-zoning increases have been granted. Neighborhood plans include the Van Ness corridor, Rincon Hill, Downtown, Market-Octavia, Eastern Neighborhoods (mostly the Central Waterfront, Potrero Hill, and east Mission), East SOMA, West SOMA, Japantown, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. Sfgov.org has all of the various plans listed somewhere.

Height limits get changed all of the time though (up and down). The neighborhood plans are an attempt to streamline the approvals process and decide on most major factors at a neighborhood level, rather than project by project. Height limits, bulk limits, and parking limits/requirements are typically the most controversial issues. They don't work all that well (though it seems to be getting better), because both developers and NIMBYs have figured out that the planning department and board of supervisors are willing to override parts of the plans with enough screaming, so developers constantly submit proposals asking for variances, and NIMBYs constantly fight proposed projects even when they fall within the guidelines of the plan.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Maybe they need to do deeper test boring because of the new plan to build the train box in the first phase.
Still means *something* is happening. I'll take anything we can get. Look at the poor Chicago Spire site - NOTHING for months and months. At least there is a (slow) march forward.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:57 PM

What is going on in the parking lot on the west end of the terminal (next to the new 34 story emrald building)? I walked by this morning and saw a bunch of contruction there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin175 View Post
What is going on in the parking lot on the west end of the terminal (next to the new 34 story emrald building)? I walked by this morning and saw a bunch of contruction there.
Read the several posts just above yours, especially #2106

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 5:56 AM

A view of the large rig. Not much action, but then again it was labor day weekend.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 6:09 AM

Temporary Terminal

Here's some pics of the temporary terminal.

From One Rincon Hill, I'll post pics of the interior soon...

Work on the actual terminal

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development